• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jburton

Banned
The problem is that I don't think ever had 3 stingers fired at me at once and the last thing the game needs is more engineers to make up for the nerf. I'm thinking stealth to keep the remaining stingers and heat seekers off me and a fire extinguisher to repair from 2 missile hits and guns.

On the flip side ...... should jets and other air vehicles be invulnerable.

Thats the the problem with these games ........ somebody likes jets, but they don't like the counter measure ....... somebody likes infantry but hate vehicles.

Nerf this and nerf that, it will never be balanced ....... not everyone can be made happy, there has to be a level of compromise.

mr_nothin

Banned
Because I'd like to actual see the Stingers be worth a damn. Nerfing them when they're already a non-factor is just laughable. It's the equivalent of the Dumb-Rocket nerf to BF2 Helis. Kinda like the Mobile AA buff against infantry. Noone's asking for it, noone's complaining about it, but DICE feels the need to change it. It's just piss-poor balance design.

Stingers are pretty useful when taking down helicopters though and like I said, I've taken down a bunch of jets with the stinger.
We'll see how it works.

Stingers are most common AA weapon in the game since other forms of AA are not always available. Most pilots whine about the amount of AA in the game already so nerfing them seems fine.

Wthermans

Banned
Stingers are pretty useful when taking down helicopters though and like I said, I've taken down a bunch of jets with the stinger.
We'll see how it works.

Stingers are useful against choppers with only 1 set of Flares I'll give you that. And it's easy to take down bad jet pilots. Against jet pilots who know how to hold their flares until the missile is away or against chopper crews that are stacking flares, they're non factors and the nerf is uncalled for. I guess DICE has to please the masses that are still learning to fly though. :(

Stingers are most common AA weapon in the game since other forms of AA are not always available. Most pilots whine about the amount of AA in the game already so nerfing them seems fine.

Pilots aren't whining about stingers (or even AA). They're whining about the damage mobile/stationary AA cannons do....

Cobra84

I'm not really seeing the problem here. Anything in the air already has so much to deal with. Lots of engi's with AA, mobile AA, uncap AA, guided shells, other jets, helis (yes helis).
You don't have to lose your AT engineers to get AA engineers. The stinger/mine combo works well enough and nothing significant is lost by having a few assaults and typical recons becoming engineers. Tanks are fairly weak; a good engineer or support can take one out solo.

Only 64 player conquest has mobile AA, stationary AA is easy to avoid, (if anyone is even using it), I almost never see SOFLAMs so no javelins or guided shells. Yes, a good helicopter is probably the best AA weapon in the game.

Decent patch. They've said several times that the IRNV and flashlight nerf will be in a later patch--not sure why people were expecting it in this one.

Want to give SMG's a try now, and I fear the worst for the SCAR/G3 nerf. Why the hell was the G3 nerfed? They don't even use the same ammunition in the game files, so it's not like they had to.

Sounds like the Stinger/IGLA will be next to useless as a one-man AA device. Maybe it's for the best?

UNRANKED SERVERS
KNIFE AND VEHICLE ONLY NIGHT

Wthermans

Banned
You don't have to lose your AT engineers to get AA engineers. The stinger/mine combo works well enough and nothing significant is lost by having a few assaults and typical recons becoming engineers. Tanks are fairly weak; a good engineer or support can take one out solo.

Only 64 player conquest has mobile AA, stationary AA is easy to avoid, (if anyone is even using it), I almost never see SOFLAMs so no javelins or guided shells. Yes, a good helicopter is probably the best AA weapon in the game.

Disagree. Mobile AA > *

Only map that choppers are good AA is Canals and that's due to the flight ceiling. Anything else and a jet can just fly vertical to lose any lock-on. Plus you can jet cannon the chopper to death before you even get in range for them to lock-on with AA. :lol

SCAR-H and G3 are both 7.62 weapons

Right, but in the raw game files, they separate into 7.62 and 7.62 carbine. So they could have just nerfed the SCAR-H if they wanted, since that was apparently the "OP" gun.

Also, Capture the Flag game mode added to Battlefield
Play4Free
!

CTF would be pretty fun with vehicles.

Cobra84

Disagree. Mobile AA > *

Only map that choppers are good AA is Canals and that's due to the flight ceiling. Anything else and a jet can just fly vertical to lose any lock-on. Plus you can jet cannon the chopper to death before you even get in range for them to lock-on with AA. :lol
I don't play 64 player conquest so I don't deal with mobile AA much. I have a feeling mobile AA wouldn't stand up very well to the better rush jets. A good helicopter is scary for any jet.

SCAR-H and G3 are both 7.62 weapons
They use different "ammo" in the game (762x51mmNATO and 762x51mmNATO_carbine).

Meh, both needed a nerf.
All of the carbines needed an across the board nerf. The SCAR-H shouldn't have been the only one.

There was no reason to touch the G3's close range damage. It is already has the second worst rifle time to kill at close range.

Why are the 7.62mm machine guns unchanged?

Wthermans

Banned
I don't play 64 player conquest so I don't deal with mobile AA much. I have a feeling mobile AA wouldn't stand up very well to the better rush jets. A good helicopter is scary for any jet.

Totally agree. 1 ATGM + Frogfoot/Warthog Cannon would be an insta-disable (kill if you pre-fire before ATGM lockon). I am really hoping Gulf of Oman 64 features 1 Ground Attack Jet and 1 Fighter Jet. IMO all the Conquest Large maps should have had that combo instead of the current 2 fighters. On larger maps, helicopters aren't nothing to jets but a free double kill.

All of the carbines needed an across the board nerf. The SCAR-H shouldn't have been the only one.

There was no reason to touch the G3's close range damage. It is already has the second worst rifle time to kill at close range.

This. Carbines in general are just way too effective compared to most assault rifles.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Anyone know if this patch will fix the bug on the last level preventing many PC players from completing the SP campaign?

Nerfing all 7.62 weapons wouldn't really balance anything as it then equally nerfs everyone and would leave everyone on the same uneven ground. Most of the 7.62 machine guns have lot of disadvantages already.

Having uniform ammo is kinda nice idea but it's not best for gameplay balance, hence the wanting of nerfs on carbines across the board. As been said many times already, the Assault should have the best general rifles

Added console command “GameTime.MaxVariableFps” to limit max FPS

Awesome, no need for Vsync/triple buffering anymore! No extra input lag or VRAM usage, sweet.

Cobra84

Which is why I don't understand the G3 nerf. Was it overpowered? I haven't really been killed by it at all compared to the SCAR and I don't have it unlocked yet.
No it wasn't. It was a half assed assault rifle up close and a half assed sniper rifle at range. A semi-auto sniper rifle with an ACOG will likely beat the nerfed G3 up close with the bonus of one hit headshot kills.

scogoth

Which is why I don't understand the G3 nerf. Was it overpowered? I haven't really been killed by it at all compared to the SCAR and I don't have it unlocked yet.

Not really it was very powerful 1 on 1 but it had low clip size and slow rate of fire. It seems that DICE just wants to punish anyone for aiming and reward spray now ask questions later.

Cobra84

Not really it was very powerful 1 on 1 but it had low clip size and slow rate of fire. It seems that DICE just wants to punish anyone for aiming and reward spray now ask questions later.
They've done a good job of that. I feel handicapped if I'm not spraying with a F2000, A-91, or M249.

Smokey

Those with joysticks:

Any help on how to get used to using this? I just got a joystick and I've been messing around with it on jets and it's pretty damn hard. I can turn with ease etc as you'd expect, but actually lining up a shot? Seems like I can't do it without having my damn jet be turned sideways while shooting.

Any tips?!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

What really needs to be nerfed is the flares. There's really no anti-air options outside of the Stinger that hardly no one uses. If you're solo and pop their flares, by the time you reload they're either out of range (SMH), or flares have regened to where you can't hit them.

I understand the whining about LOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCK because I've been there before. I think they need to make Stealth/Maintenance be in another slot. But not to where it's IR Flares Maintenance Stealth in all three slots. Just having two of them would buff the jets/helicopters enough to where they can take a small dishing from the anti-airs if they get locked onto.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Only 64 player conquest has mobile AA, stationary AA is easy to avoid, (if anyone is even using it), I almost never see SOFLAMs so no javelins or guided shells.

Guided shell doesn't need a SOFLAM, just somebody in the 3rd tank seat. We do this all the time just to drive helicopter pilots insane.

What really needs to be nerfed is the flares. There's really no anti-air options outside of the Stinger that hardly no one uses. If you're solo and pop their flares, by the time you reload they're either out of range (SMH), or flares have regened to where you can't hit them.
The best jet pilots don't need flares, FYI, they roll with fire extinguisher. Nerfing flares is just another AA tweak that would hurt helicopters a hell of a lot more than it does jets. Didn't we see enough hamfisted "balancing" like that in BF2 to last us a lifetime?

What really bugs me is why people even care about what jets do in BF3, even the best pilots do next to nothing to affect the outcome of the match. Feels like it is just the usual "I got killed by X and I don't want to change class/vehicle so I can effectively counter it, please nerf X so I don't have to" that plagues the forums for games like this.

Wthermans

Banned

I understand the whining about LOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCK because I've been there before. I think they need to make Stealth/Maintenance be in another slot. But not to where it's IR Flares Maintenance Stealth in all three slots. Just having two of them would buff the jets/helicopters enough to where they can take a small dishing from the anti-airs if they get locked onto.

Oh fuck I love these pilots. Easiest kills ever. Watching them freak out when you lay a cannon burst into them is priceless. :lol

Zeppelin

Guided shell doesn't need a SOFLAM, just somebody in the 3rd tank seat. We do this all the time just to drive helicopter pilots insane.

Yeah, this is too much fun. Especially when the chopper crew ends up whining in some weird eastern European language.

TheSeks

Oh fuck I love these pilots. Easiest kills ever. Watching them freak out when you lay a cannon burst into them is priceless. :lol

Huh? You can only take IR Flares, Maintenance, or Stealth in Slot-1. You can't take two. Which is what I'm getting at. If you were able to pick Flares + Maintenance, you'd be able to take one or two Stingers (before nerf?) if you didn't pop flares right. Or take IR Flares + Stealth: You're harder to lock onto and if you get locked onto you pop flares. If you pop them at the wrong time, well... you're fucked.

I feel that would buff jets a bit in addition to making the helicopters a bit godly (due to two flares in pilot/gunner seat in the attack) while not nerfing the anti-air to where you really need more engineers to bring them down.

Patch said:
Removed FIND ME A SQUAD option

Why? If you're not playing with friends joining a squad with "matchmaking" should be able to be quickly done. I know:

Allow players to join empty Squads alone, thus having 1/4 squad members

Wasn't possible before this patch (unless you invited a friend who was already in game. Stupid decision on DICE's part) but having the two would be nice.

Wthermans

Banned
Huh? You can only take IR Flares, Maintenance, or Stealth in Slot-1. You can't take two. Which is what I'm getting at. If you were able to pick Flares + Maintenance, you'd be able to take one or two Stingers (before nerf?) if you didn't pop flares right. Or take IR Flares + Stealth: You're harder to lock onto and if you get locked onto you pop flares. If you pop them at the wrong time, well... you're fucked.

I feel that would buff jets a bit in addition to making the helicopters a bit godly (due to two flares in pilot/gunner seat in the attack) while not nerfing the anti-air to where you really need more engineers to bring them down.

Stealth & Maintenance are slot 1
Flares are slot 2

Flares and Extinguisher share a slot so that may be what you're thinking. Choppers can already stack flares between the pilot/gunner if both have them equipped in Slot 2.

TheSeks

Stealth & Maintenance are slot 1
Flares are slot 2

Flares and Extinguisher share a slot so that may be what you're thinking.

Oh, right. Isn't Extinguisher and Maintenance the same thing, though?

TheSeks

No. Maintenance is a Slot 1 perk that increases vehicle health regen. Extinguisher is a Slot 2 perk that repairs you to 50% and starts your repair regen immediately.

So, what is the benefit of Maintenance over Extinguisher? Extinguisher seems better from that summary.
Note: I only have like 2-3 unlocks on the jets and haven't devoted time to unlocking this shit

Wthermans

Banned
So, what is the benefit of Maintenance over Extinguisher? Extinguisher seems better from that summary.
Note: I only have like 2-3 unlocks on the jets and haven't devoted time to unlocking this shit

You can use both at the same time. Extinguisher + Maintenance is a decent alternative to missing Flares.

The problem with Extinguisher is that you lose Flares.

My personal loadout is: Air Radar (good for seeing any passing jets that may be out of your FOV), Flares (must have to safely take out Mobile AA), and ATGM (if I'm dogfighting or have a Sniper using SOFLAM---Rocket Pods if I'm focusing on ground attack runs).

TheSeks

The problem with Extinguisher is that you lose Flares.

Ah, maybe change the two to where Extinguisher is slot one and Flares is slot two. That would kinda-buff the jet, wouldn't it? Meanwhile put Stealth in Slot-2 to "nerf" the jet into either having a harder lock-on time or having flares.

Wthermans

Banned
Ah, maybe change the two to where Extinguisher is slot one and Flares is slot two. That would kinda-buff the jet, wouldn't it? Meanwhile put Stealth in Slot-2 to "nerf" the jet into either having a harder lock-on time or having flares.

Would make jets OP. Then even Mobile AA or Jet Cannons wouldn't be a match due to the Extinguisher. Losing Stealth isn't a huge deal. I already roll without it and don't miss it one bit.

Right now, the only thing a good jet pilot has to fear is cannon fire. AA is literally a non-factor because a pilot can just hit the afterburner towards to the edges of the map and then the only AA he has to contend with is from other jets (which takes far too long to lock and is easily out-turned).

What really bugs me is why people even care about what jets do in BF3, even the best pilots do next to nothing to affect the outcome of the match. Feels like it is just the usual "I got killed by X and I don't want to change class/vehicle so I can effectively counter it, please nerf X so I don't have to" that plagues the forums for games like this.
In Rush a good jet pilot can make short work of your tanks (due to the Warthog/Frogfoot cannon). I've been MVP in Rush as a pure jet pilot.

Atomski

OOOER it's happening now!

So, uhhhh I didn't see how they were buffing Jets in that list of Patch Notes... didn't they say they were buffing Jets?

Well they buffed damage against infantry.

Really hope this helps with my crashing issues.. and the damned black screen of death.

I am sad that I dont see a make your own squad function.. joining a full game and not being able to spawn on my friends is lame. :/

Jtrizzy

I'm getting an error message when it tries to update. Then again I can't even get online in this game so I may have something off with origin.

It says something about an error when checking for game update. Any advice?

soultron

Banned
I'm a big silly. I never thought to use the 500m markings in the scope to estimate range.

Fire bullet -> watch where it drops in terms of 500m markings -> adjust to hit target.

I just want to get to the point where I'm not wasting ammo and/or exposing myself.

Nabs

I'm getting an error message when it tries to update. Then again I can't even get online in this game so I may have something off with origin.

It says something about an error when checking for game update. Any advice?

Just wait, I got the same popup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom