• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

GenericUser

Helis are so useless in this game at this point

disagree, they provide sheer entertainment for the igla crowd. Nothing get me like a heliboy, just been hit by a rocket and desperatly trying to get away to repair his ride while crashing into a obstacle. I can feel their anger, so satisfying.

scogoth

Found this on Amazon but still not clear about that 22GB download/install

rAuAv.png

As far as I knew you just bought a code to download the game on origin. The base install is bout 12GB with 2 DLC packs at about 5GB each = 22GB so I'm guessing the discs are BF3 v1.0 and useless.

SJRB

Gold Member
I played controller nearly all my life and it didn't take me that long to adjust to M&KB. Just stick with it. Over the long run it'll do you so much good.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and just say it's not you being terrible, it's just everyone else being better. I'm pretty sure you'd do even worst with a controller playing against people with mouse/kb.

You'll get used to it eventually and never go back.

I guess I'll keep going then, thanks. I played truckloads on the PS3 and it's pretty harsh to go back to square one - I need my defibs!

OG Kush

If I uninstall the game I won't lose all my weapons/progress when I reinstall later on right? Kind of had enough of BF3 now, even though armored kill just game out I recently got Sleeping Dogs and would rather play that. Also uninstalling would give me more room on my HDD for games I'd rather play like Black Mesa Source and Alan Wake.
Like someone mentioned before, the core of this game is just annoying me. No matter what type of maps they release, after an hour of playing I just get annoyed. The gunplay is still some of the best i've experienced. DICE really nailed how guns should feel when you fire them, really amazing stuff.

scogoth

If I uninstall the game I won't lose all my weapons/progress when I reinstall later on right? Kind of had enough of BF3 now, even though armored kill just game out I recently got Sleeping Dogs and would rather play that. Also uninstalling would give me more room on my HDD for games I'd rather play like Black Mesa Source and Alan Wake.

You won't lose anything just remember if you reinstall it later it will be quite a download.

Divius

Is the double XP buggy or Premium only? I could swear I had a game earlier on where the XP got doubled, but later that day I had a game where I got 47k points but it did not get doubled.

Not that I really care, but it would have been nice.

Helis are so useless in this game at this point

Just, shockingly so.

You can't win, fly high, you get stingered, fly low and you cop tank shells.

Only way of surviving is to fly above stinger range and try and snipe tanks with a decent gunner and zoom optics.

Then again you get killed by jets.

First time in ages I've seen the havoc sitting on the hangar for ages on a full map.

SJRB

Gold Member
Heli's have been a sore spot ever since BF3 first launched. OP in Bad Company 2, borderline useless in BF3. Unless you fly as a perfect team there's little use for the choppers. Which is unfortunate because I love flying them. And it's also badass when they come flying by, the choppers really add to the overall atmosphere of the game.

Also - I finally caved and got Premium. For some reason I always thought Premium would only get you a discount on the dlc but I just realised all the DLC is "free" with premium. I was never interested in Close Quarters, but damnit if Armored Kill doesn't look AWESOME.

Donos

Heli's have been a sore spot ever since BF3 first launched. OP in Bad Company 2, borderline useless in BF3. Unless you fly as a perfect team there's little use for the choppers. Which is unfortunate because I love flying them. And it's also badass when they come flying by, the choppers really add to the overall atmosphere of the game.

Also - I finally caved and got Premium. For some reason I always thought Premium would only get you a discount on the dlc but I just realised all the DLC is "free" with premium. I was never interested in Close Quarters, but damnit if Armored Kill doesn't look AWESOME.

Try Close Quarters. I wasn't interested too and i only played Metro twice in my 150 hours BF3 but the maps are rather good and it's a good and fast fun in between. Gun game is also nice for a few rounds.

And i don't think helis are useless, even after the update. Most of the time, only "good" players use the helis because people like me get flamed to max when we try the helis and crash them. So they are always a threat. Maps like Bandar desert give them a hard time, not much cover and when they fly low , they are tank fodder.

Smoke is so good, too bad it's underused IMO.

I saved so many RUSH rounds in BC2 because i used smoke to cover our MCOM attack. I didn't know smoke was still in BF3 for a long time because nobody used it.

GenericUser

People should stop talking like choppers are now useless. I've seen decent flyers that still did a lot of damage to the opossing force. I think people are just complaining because they cannot simply man a helicopter and fly carelessly around without ever fearing any threat anymore.

If you use the surroundings to your advantage and don't get over eager with your maneuvers, you can still do a decent job.

I am a tank driver myself and I am used to the fact that I am the Nr. 1 target of all Javliners, C4'ers, suicide repair tool attackers, Helicopters, Jets, LAVers as soon as I pop up. If I would play as careless as many helicopter friends seem to, I would never achieve anything. So the recent update just evens out the odds, man up heli friends, man up!

People should stop talking like choppers are now useless. I've seen decent flyers that still did a lot of damage to the opossing force. I think people are just complaining because they cannot simply man a helicopter and fly carelessly around without ever fearing any threat anymore.

If you use the surroundings to your advantage and don't get over eager with your maneuvers, you can still do a decent job.

I am a tank driver myself and I am used to the fact that I am the Nr. 1 target of all Javliners, C4'ers, suicide repair tool attackers, Helicopters, Jets, LAVers as soon as I pop up. If I would play as careless as many helicopter friends seem to, I would never achieve anything. So the recent update just evens out the odds, man up heli friends, man up!

I'm a pretty decent heli pilot, and I usually have a friend as gunner that's also pretty good. The only time I can actually cause big damage around the battlefield is when the other team isn't even trying to shoot me down. Using the surroundings is just a good way to just get blown off by an RPG/tank shell.

Donos

Most of the time when i entered a Caspian Borders server before the update, someone on my or the enemy team was like 40:10 or better and that were always the pro heli players tearing everyone apart. I can understand that they are unhappy that the balance changed.

GenericUser

I'm a pretty decent heli pilot, and I usually have a friend as gunner that's also pretty good. The only time I can actually cause big damage around the battlefield is when the other team isn't even trying to shoot me down. Using the surroundings is just a good way to just get blown off by an RPG/tank shell.

I know what I have seen and I have seen a lot of good pilots this weekend. Shoot, flares, duck, pop up, repeat. They were good and a proper support for their team. They were not able to rape the whole opposing armed force and spawncamp the enemy, but hey ... times are harsh aren't they?

No, I know what I have played and helicopters are more balanced now. The were OP before. There, I said it.

I know what I have seen and I have seen a lot of good pilots this weekend. Shoot, flares, duck, pop up, repeat. They were good and a proper support for their team. They were not able to rape the whole opposing armed force and spawncamp the enemy, but hey ... times are harsh aren't they?

No, I know what I have played and helicopters are more balanced now. The were OP before. There, I said it.

Yes, you know what you played. You know through those whole 70 minutes on an helicopter...

I know what I have played and they are broken now. There, I said it.

patapuf

The helis are not fine now. If the enemy team has halfway decent jet pilots there absolutely nothing you can do, fly low: tanks kill you, fly high for tv missiles and stuff, your immediately dead because the jets shoot you down.

Heck, a single guy with a stinger has no trouble killing a top chopper pilot. Remove the stinger buff or the flare nerf and we can talk, but right now, your lucky to live longer than a minute against decent opposition.

GenericUser

I think they are fine now, a single guy with a stinger should be able to take down a chopper if the pilot is not smart enough to use cover. Choppers are just not the 1 man army super show that they where and that (in my opinion) is making BF3 a better game for all people except the heli pilots. They just have to find new strategies to be successful and I know that these strategies exist. The more powerful a vehicle is, the more demanding driving/flying it it should be.

mr_nothin

Banned
I think they are fine now, a single guy with a stinger should be able to take down a chopper if the pilot is not smart enough to use cover. Choppers are just not the 1 man army super show that they where and that (in my opinion) is making BF3 a better game for all people except the heli pilots. They just have to find new strategies to be successful and I know that these strategies exist. The more powerful a vehicle is, the more demanding driving/flying it it should be.

1 guy shouldnt be able to take down a heli casually. (point, shoot, point, shoot, BOOM)
It would be cool if stingers went into a TV missle mode to make the person firing the stinger vulnerable and also have it require skill because you have to guide the missle. No lock-on, no firing.

In BF3's retail release, stingers werent affected by below radar but they didnt have the range nerf, the lock on buff, or the 1 hit disable. Now, after they've gotten rid of below radar on stingers...it still has the increased range, super quick lock ons, and 1 hit disables. A lot of the time it takes 1 hit with the stinger to bring down a heli because if you're trying to do evasive maneuvers and the stinger hits you and you get disabled, it's hard to recover because your engines are borked.

Donos

1 guy shouldnt be able to take down a heli casually. (point, shoot, point, shoot, BOOM)
It would be cool if stingers went into a TV missle mode to make the person firing the stinger vulnerable and also have it require skill because you have to guide the missle. No lock-on, no firing.

But how would the countermeasures work ? Strong blur vision in the TV mode or instant fail of the TV mode ?

No, it shouldn't. There is ONE attack helicopter at any given time in BF3, there will always be multiple stingers, AAs, jets, mounted AAs at any given time.

patapuf

choppers have never been one man armys, they are 2 man armys. Just like a single Engineer cannot kill a tank a single engineer should not be able to kill a chopper. There's AA tanks and Jets for that, And i hope that in a 32 player team there's a few guy who can use the tanks main canon correctly, it's not hard to kill choppers with it (or the javelin).

mr_nothin

Banned
But how would the countermeasures work ? Strong blur vision in the TV mode or instant fail of the TV mode ?

With flares, it would get rid of the TV mode. ECM will prevent locks and make it really hard for the person in TV mode to track the heli because of all the smoke (adding a blur too wouldnt hurt!). And once the stinger hits it's range, it goes boom.
Also, with these changes...they need to revert some of the changes back. They made RPGs 1 hit kills because stingers were affected by below radar....well since stingers arent affect by below radar, why do we still have 1 hit RPGs? Tank shells should stay 1 hit kills though.
It makes no sense that they did a lot of buffs against the heli (quick locks, 1 hit rpgs, 1 hit tank shells, etc) because of the below radar buffs against stingers but then they take below radar out and keep the buffs?

SJRB

Gold Member
The double XP seems totally random, I just got it for the first time todat even though played at least 4 matches. Anyone else noticing this?

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, the double XP just seems weird. It's not double of any number from what I've can see, it adds a bit here and there plus a small bonus XP that doesn't add up to double XP overall. Then in another game, I'm getting like 3x XP overall.

Oh well, on another note: I fucking hate my gaming friends. They descend into rage-whining in no time, they aren't really doing any teamwork, when you finally work together and give them some valuable information or want to have them kill something they run around like headless chickens right next to you with the response "LOOL".

The other day, I had snuck all the way around the map and the enemy to get behind a tank that was sitting on a hill 'sniping' everybody - Excellent tanker. Get behind it and place a spawn beacon for my engineer ( Throughout the entire match ) friend, it was already smoking and just needed a shot. He then decides to spawn as a Support instead with C4, barrel towards the tank which made him turn around and kill us both. Such a small thing but it just does my fucking head in. I'm not pro-elite-über skilled player but I just expect some ability and some brain power but it's just fucking stupidity all the time.

Apparently getting some friends together and actually enjoying this game, getting some teamwork going is the hardest thing ever. Rage fest from start till finish. When the night is over you just have that gut feeling of anger and "Why did I waste my time".

Wasn't tank shells always 1 hit kills againt helis ?

It has certainly always been that way as far as I'm aware anyway, but I swear the tank destroyers are easier to hit helis with. Maybe it is in my head?

I have got a tonne of heli kills with tank destroyers of late, and it feels like it is a new thing.

What are HE shells for the tank destroyers used for? They don't seem any better at anti-material or against infantry...

Have to say I love the Tank Superiority mode. It is funny how it begins to resemble an infantry game, with snipers with zoom optics, assault with smoke launchers etc.

Have had some great games with a mate as support and me an engineer, c4ing and javelins on the narrow passes. Good fun.

Feel like it would be improved by access to artillery though..

It has certainly always been that way as far as I'm aware anyway, but I swear the tank destroyers are easier to hit helis with. Maybe it is in my head?

As someone who's been on the receiving end of those hits, no, it's not on your head. For a moment I thought there was some exploit/cheat with the tank destroyers. Even though AK only just came out, I've already been killed more times by a Tank Destroyer then Tanks.

patapuf

As someone who's been on the receiving end of those hits, no, it's not on your head. For a moment I thought there was some exploit/cheat with the tank destroyers. Even though AK only just came out, I've already been killed more times by a Tank Destroyer then Tanks.

I think the tank destroyer's shell is faster than the regular tanks and thus drops slower, which is why it's easier to hit choppers (just like its easier to hit them with canister shells).

I might just imagine it though.

patapuf

Sometimes LAV or tank battles are unfair, eventough I shoot first and more rounds at them I still lose.

Apart from the obvious "shooting the side does more damage than shooting the front" the angle at which you hit is important as well.

You can kill a tank destroyer in 3 hits or it might take you 5-6. It's why positioning your tank in battle is very important. With the tank destroyer you can also simply drive circles around an MBT and kill him that way.

Apart from the obvious "shooting the side does more damage than shooting the front" the angle at which you hit is important as well.

You can kill a tank destroyer in 3 hits or it might take you 5-6. It's why positioning your tank in battle is very important. With the tank destroyer you can also simply drive circles around an MBT and kill him that way.

Sometimes I still lose even if I hit them in their weakest spot: the back.

Top Bottom