• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

metalshade

Just curious, what's everyone's longest sniper rifle headshot? I haven't had a ton of time to play around with a bipodded non-muzzled rifle, but I got 620meters, and another clan mate got 702. I'm sure can go further.

Did this on Kharg Island conquest from the aircraft carrier.

I was really chuffed this afternoon when I got 325 metres headshot, I have had this game since launch, but I only picked up my first sniper rifle to actually use as a sniper(not a longish range assault rifle)
Using the L96 btw, is this a bad choice?
But what impressed me the most is that I pulled off that shot while my wifes cat was gnawing on my thumb! HAH!

DMeisterJ

Banned
Unlocked the L85A2

Wow, no recoil on that gun at all... So easy to mow people down. I don't feel terrible about having to do Squad Deathmatch for it now.

Arnie

Unlocked the L85A2

Wow, no recoil on that gun at all... So easy to mow people down. I don't feel terrible about having to do Squad Deathmatch for it now.

Seems to be a symptom of most B2K weapons. The Famas and L85A2 are pretty ridiculous, as is the PP-19. In a good way, of course. Although something about how easy they are to use puts me off a bit. I like to work for my kills, it feels so cheap not having to feather too much to get maximum damage.

Still, I love the L85A2, have since BF2. It'll probably be the only Assault rifle I use for a very long time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Unlocked the L85A2

Told you. Most of the B2K guns have no recoil. They're pretty much Q3A railguns.

The stats do lie. On consoles, anyway. I dunno about PC: Unlock it. ADS at someone and just hold the trigger. You'll get kills extremely easy that way.

L85 does have pretty low recoil, but it's around the same level as the AEK. The other guns are all pretty similar to the others, as far as recoil goes, though there are minor variations in spread patterns.

One criticism I've heard is that all the guns are too similar, which is true to an extent, but there are so many different variables to each that I feel they're all fairly unique if you pay close enough attention.

I think some of the B2K guns have been reported as bugged though, right?

TheSeks

L85 does have pretty low recoil, but it's around the same level as the AEK. The other guns are all pretty similar to the others, as far as recoil goes, though there are minor variations in spread patterns.

One criticism I've heard is that all the guns are too similar, which is true to an extent, but there are so many different variables to each that I feel they're all fairly unique if you pay close enough attention.

Yeah, on PS3 the QBU first sniper unlock and MG36 second support unlock will not work on B2K maps but work completely fine on vanilla maps. It's a weird bug.

Xux

So I was playing a round in my buddy's house the other night and another on my own 360 at home. Both rounds I fancied a go in the Little Bird. I came away with 18+ in each round. I killed a few Z-11Ws and a lot of infantry and only came away with a few deaths. Anyway, most of those Z-11Ws are really not that hard to kill even with somebody healing. Rocket them sucker s and if they start to heal, gatling gun them. Chances are you'll blow it up, kill the pilot or the healer, either way, it goes down. And like I said above, I'm not an amazing pilot or anything.

Seriously, people hating on heli's need to realise the pilots have got it worse than them. If we actually do well, it's because we've worked hard.
Usually rocketing them with just Stingers or Iglas seems to mean a pretty quick death since flares'll eat the first rocket, the second rocket will hit, disable, and cause the engineer staring at the wall of the cabin to instantly start repairing, the third rocket will hit and disable again, and by then you have hope the pilot can't spot you through the smoke trail.

Gatling guns seem unreliable since they do have a engineer there to RPG it out the side making HMMWV and Vodniks kinda lame for it. Everything else is probably good if the pilot doesn't have guided rockets; still pretty vulnerable since you can't move it when you switch to the gunner seat.

Don't know if you'll read the whole post or even reply but the point I'm trying to make is that one infantry is worse off against two people in a Scout or Attack Helicopter when no one else on the team is going after them. As is one person in a Scout or Attack Helicopter going against two on the opposing team that have more unlocks. A lot of my losses seem to be because the enemy team has people that use vehicles.
If you're getting SOFLAMed in the jet, you're doing it wrong. The only time you should ever get SOFLAMed is if you're just circling over a section of the map over and over again.

What do you typically do right when you take off? Do you try to fly over the battlefield or make a beeline towards the nearest enemy jet/helicopter? If so, that's your problem. As a newer pilot without any flares, you should NEVER try to attack the flags, you will always get shot down. Best thing to do is to immediately get to max altitude and you should stay there while staying near your home base. You're much less likely to be shot down right away and can formulate a plan of attack. Helicopters are going to be easy kills right now. As are other jets.

This requires you know how to fly and lead your target. If you can't do that, you need to go to an empty server and learn how to fly, maximize your turning capability by learning the intricacies of throttle control, and how to lead targets with your cannon.

There are also servers out there strictly for learning how to fly and you're more likely to be teamed against someone that's new as well.
Usually what I do is fly away from the flags and try to gain as much altitude as possible to make strafe runs with my rocket pods. Then I get destroyed by an enemy jet and his wingman using some combination of Air Radar and Laser Painter shenanigans.

Or the enemy disappears behind me for a few minutes and I can't find them 'cause they're using Air Radar to stay in my blind spot, third person flying seems to have an uncomfortably different sensitivity than flying in first person, and free look is really awkward to use on a PS3 controller. Usually I just ignore and evade the other jets and try to get enough rockets into a tank or in the general direction of a helicopter before another jet or streetlight takes me out.

I think the worst thing about this game is that it has unlocks. If everything was unlocked from the beginning it'd be many times better than it is now.

yeah, until you get flares, you're pretty screwed.

also, i noticed that the when you fly the rush jets, the points go towards the kit you're using and not the jet upgrades... what's up with that DICE!?

TheSeks

This. I feel it's useless at anything but close range.

I dunno. Put a red-dot on it and it can sort-of snipe. The iron-sights make it fucking terrible though. One of the worst ironsights in the game that isn't the A-91.

Zeppelin

Just curious, what's everyone's longest sniper rifle headshot? I haven't had a ton of time to play around with a bipodded non-muzzled rifle, but I got 620meters, and another clan mate got 702. I'm sure can go further.

Did this on Kharg Island conquest from the aircraft carrier.

1172.48 m. Did it on Firestorm. One could probably go a couple of hundred meters beyond that with relative ease but having wasted way to many hours trying to get the 1k m+ before it was even possible (didn't know the bullet despawned at ~975 m pre Karkand patch) I seriously can't be bothered.

Edit: Have you guys seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkHuUpGzOZs&feature=g-logo&context=G226374dFOAAAAAAABAA ? :lol

Usually rocketing them with just Stingers or Iglas seems to mean a pretty quick death since flares'll eat the first rocket, the second rocket will hit, disable, and cause the engineer staring at the wall of the cabin to instantly start repairing, the third rocket will hit and disable again, and by then you have hope the pilot can't spot you through the smoke trail.

Gatling guns seem unreliable since they do have a engineer there to RPG it out the side making HMMWV and Vodniks kinda lame for it. Everything else is probably good if the pilot doesn't have guided rockets; still pretty vulnerable since you can't move it when you switch to the gunner seat.

Don't know if you'll read the whole post or even reply but the point I'm trying to make is that one infantry is worse off against two people in a Scout or Attack Helicopter when no one else on the team is going after them. As is one person in a Scout or Attack Helicopter going against two on the opposing team that have more unlocks. A lot of my losses seem to be because the enemy team has people that use vehicles..
But that's the way it should be. I try to fly the helicopters fairly regularly because I enjoy them. Even with my friend as a gunner and dropping a 2nd set of flairs we got shot down more often than not. I know from playing with my friends that two engineers on the ground can handle a chopper with 2 people in it if they play it right. Add to that the whole host of other options you have to kill heli's and you really have a pretty week vehicle. There really is no point in the game where one person coming up against two playing as a team should win. The problem you seem to be faced with is that nobody else in your team is focused on bringing the air vehicles down. That's not a problem with the game, that's the players not using the team work required for BF. I more often than not play with friends, but I can understand the frustration, when I do play on my own it's hard to find people who will properly play as a team.

Looks like one of the next patches will be another round of balancing, this time mainly attachments. Tweets from Demize:

Working on rebalancing foregrip, heavy barrel, silencer, and flash suppressor. Less OP combos and more interesting choices is the goal.

Says FAMAS with certain attachments is OP:

@Jugulator__95 FAMAS with foregrip and silencer is op. FAMAS alone has disadvantages, but the accessories totally cancel them.

CrankyJay

Banned
I was really chuffed this afternoon when I got 325 metres headshot, I have had this game since launch, but I only picked up my first sniper rifle to actually use as a sniper(not a longish range assault rifle)
Using the L96 btw, is this a bad choice?
But what impressed me the most is that I pulled off that shot while my wifes cat was gnawing on my thumb! HAH!

The L96 is great, probably the best bolt action sniper rifle in the game in my opinion. But you'll need to unlock the 12x ballistic scope and bipod to pull off the further ranges. Leave off any suppressors as these will cause bullet and accuracy drop.

CrankyJay

Banned
If you're getting SOFLAMed in the jet, you're doing it wrong. The only time you should ever get SOFLAMed is if you're just circling over a section of the map over and over again.

What do you typically do right when you take off? Do you try to fly over the battlefield or make a beeline towards the nearest enemy jet/helicopter? If so, that's your problem. As a newer pilot without any flares, you should NEVER try to attack the flags, you will always get shot down. Best thing to do is to immediately get to max altitude and you should stay there while staying near your home base. You're much less likely to be shot down right away and can formulate a plan of attack. Helicopters are going to be easy kills right now. As are other jets.

This requires you know how to fly and lead your target. If you can't do that, you need to go to an empty server and learn how to fly, maximize your turning capability by learning the intricacies of throttle control, and how to lead targets with your cannon.

There are also servers out there strictly for learning how to fly and you're more likely to be teamed against someone that's new as well.

Dude, thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

The L96 is great, probably the best bolt action sniper rifle in the game in my opinion. But you'll need to unlock the 12x ballistic scope and bipod to pull off the further ranges. Leave off any suppressors as these will cause bullet and accuracy drop.
Suppressors dont affect accuracy in BF3
IRL they improve it

JoeMartin

The suppressors in BF3 actually behave relatively close to what a suppressor would do in the :::REAL LIFE::: in that you'd be using subsonic ammunition (most of the noise from a gun comes from the sonic boom as the round leaves the barrel - suppressor or not, if you're firing a round whose muzzle velocity will break the sound barrier it's going to make a fuckload of noise - suppressors are only intended to catch the gas release and channel it through a series of baffles to disperse the noise created by the round propellant over a much wider area;), which does result in a decreased round velocity as well as travel distance, resulting in a more arced flight path (in addition to subsonic rounds themselves being significantly heavier than supersonic rounds - the energy lost in speed is made up for with raw bullet weight/density, helping them to retain a decent ballistic coefficient as well as good kinetic energy on a target at range). Suppressors have no true effect on accuracy insofar as the radial deviance from aimed point is concerned (they are not a continuation of the rifled part of the barrel, and the round is no longer in contact with any surface while moving through the suppressor), although they do act as a counter balance to recoil, just because you're adding a significant amount of weight to the end of the barrel.

Also the L96 is basically just an SV98. There's no reason not to just use an M98B, assuming you've already unlocked it.

The suppressors in BF3 actually behave relatively close to what a suppressor would do in the :::REAL LIFE::: in that you'd be using subsonic ammunition (most of the noise from a gun comes from the sonic boom as the round leaves the barrel - suppressor or not, if you're firing a round whose muzzle velocity will break the sound barrier it's going to make a fuckload of noise - suppressors are only intended to catch the gas release and channel it through a series of baffles to disperse the noise created by the round propellant over a much wider area;), which does result in a decreased round velocity as well as travel distance, resulting in a more arced flight path (in addition to subsonic rounds themselves being significantly heavier than supersonic rounds - the energy lost in speed is made up for with raw bullet weight/density, helping them to retain a decent ballistic coefficient as well as good kinetic energy on a target at range). Suppressors have no true effect on accuracy insofar as the radial deviance from aimed point is concerned (they are not a continuation of the rifled part of the barrel, and the round is no longer in contact with any surface while moving through the suppressor), although they do act as a counter balance to recoil, just because you're adding a significant amount of weight to the end of the barrel.

Also the L96 is basically just an SV98. There's no reason not to just use an M98B, assuming you've already unlocked it.

Suppressors don't slow the round down, if made right they can slightly boost it 50-100fps by letting unburnt powder continue to push on the round, and they do have a use with supersonic loads. If you are 500m away and a supersonic round goes by, about a third of a second later you'll hear the report of the gun that fired at you. If that gun had a suppressor, you'd only hear the supersonic crack that goes by with the round, which can be very disorienting without a muzzle report to match it to.

They can also boost accuracy by diverting the gasses into the baffles once the round leaves the rifling, where the gas could otherwise very slightly push the round in one direction or another since there's nothing to guide the expanding gasses in a straight line out in the open.

Divius

SV98 w/ Supressor + HOLO + Straight Pull Bolt = fun, but I'm not very effective with it. Mostly ends up with me getting a hit in the torso and finishing them off with my pistol, assuming they haven't shot me/ran away first.

Not really, directed at the bold statement. The L85 has 0.4 vs 0.5 leftward recoil, 0.3 vs 0.5 rightward recoil, a 22 recentre speed vs 18, and has a 2.5 first shot multiplier vs 3. All those stats, in combination with its considerably lower full auto RPM means that it has vastly less recoil.

I haven't read the last few posts, so maybe my point has already been made. I can't wait to unlock it :D

Not really, directed at the bold statement. The L85 has 0.4 vs 0.5 leftward recoil, 0.3 vs 0.5 rightward recoil, a 22 recentre speed vs 18, and has a 2.5 first shot multiplier vs 3. All those stats, in combination with its considerably lower full auto RPM means that it has vastly less recoil.

I haven't read the last few posts, so maybe my point has already been made. I can't wait to unlock it :D

Good call. The vertical recoil is the same, the horizontal isn't THAT much different, but I got the recoil decrease mixed up (thought less was better for some reason). It also has the same low ADS spread of .7, like the F2000.

Tawpgun

Who the hell designed the VDV Buggy? Talking about IRL designers, not Dice.

The one turret it has can only look 45 degrees or some shit in front of the car. Can't even turn the side, let alone behind you.

And the US gets their jeep that can look 360 degrees.

I'm just mad because I need those buggy kills for that shotgun.

iam220

Looks like one of the next patches will be another round of balancing, this time mainly attachments. Tweets from Demize:

Good. The grip is OP, the flash suppressor is useless, silencer is too good and heavy barrel is next to useless. Bring on the changes! Tired of having virtually the same attachments on all my guns. (Grip + Silencer)

TheSeks

Who the hell designed the VDV Buggy? Talking about IRL designers, not Dice.

The one turret it has can only look 45 degrees or some shit in front of the car. Can't even turn the side, let alone behind you.

And the US gets their jeep that can look 360 degrees.

I'm just mad because I need those buggy kills for that shotgun.

Roadkill. It's the only way.

cluto

It's actually on Karkand, Sharqi, and Oman for Conquest.

The only places I've ever found it (in Conquest) is on Oman in the Russian Base and in the Construction Yard if that objective is held by the Russian team. This is on the 360 also.

demolitio

The only places I've ever found it (in Conquest) is on Oman in the Russian Base and in the Construction Yard if that objective is held by the Russian team. This is on the 360 also.

Maybe it's only CQ Large on PC then because you can get it on Sharqui at spawn and Karkand at Gatehouse which isn't part of CQ Small so it makes sense. Another reason why a joint thread gets a little confusing at times...lol

Wthermans

Banned
Usually what I do is fly away from the flags and try to gain as much altitude as possible to make strafe runs with my rocket pods. Then I get destroyed by an enemy jet and his wingman using some combination of Air Radar and Laser Painter shenanigans.

Or the enemy disappears behind me for a few minutes and I can't find them 'cause they're using Air Radar to stay in my blind spot, third person flying seems to have an uncomfortably different sensitivity than flying in first person, and free look is really awkward to use on a PS3 controller. Usually I just ignore and evade the other jets and try to get enough rockets into a tank or in the general direction of a helicopter before another jet or streetlight takes me out.

I think the worst thing about this game is that it has unlocks. If everything was unlocked from the beginning it'd be many times better than it is now.
If you've got two jets on you, the best you can hope for is to control your throttle to achieve max turning capability (you should be able to maintain >9Gs throughout the dogfight) and catch up to the last jet tailing you. You should be able to get a quick burst to at least disable him so you can focus on the second jet.

Xux

But that's the way it should be. I try to fly the helicopters fairly regularly because I enjoy them. Even with my friend as a gunner and dropping a 2nd set of flairs we got shot down more often than not. I know from playing with my friends that two engineers on the ground can handle a chopper with 2 people in it if they play it right. Add to that the whole host of other options you have to kill heli's and you really have a pretty week vehicle. There really is no point in the game where one person coming up against two playing as a team should win. The problem you seem to be faced with is that nobody else in your team is focused on bringing the air vehicles down. That's not a problem with the game, that's the players not using the team work required for BF. I more often than not play with friends, but I can understand the frustration, when I do play on my own it's hard to find people who will properly play as a team.
I agree. I guess my main issue is most of the Battlefield community are total morons. Or at least they don't care about winning.

If you've got two jets on you, the best you can hope for is to control your throttle to achieve max turning capability (you should be able to maintain >9Gs throughout the dogfight) and catch up to the last jet tailing you. You should be able to get a quick burst to at least disable him so you can focus on the second jet.
What's the right speed for turning? What speed does the landing gear come out at?

Wthermans

Banned
I agree. I guess my main issue is most of the Battlefield community are total morons. Or at least they don't care about winning.

What's the right speed for turning? What speed does the landing gear come out at?

300 knots. Sometimes it's good to do more of an oval shaped turn so you can drop down to 280 and then afterburner to 320 and back down. Landing gear only comes down if you're near the ground and going lower than 250 knots. You can belly-land the plane if you have a flat enough area. I do it all the time to repair if someone disables me.

There's a G counter in the lower left corner of your HUD. You can use that to tell you how tight you're turning (which is the key to any dogfight).

Xux

Dumb question, but can I even identify that on consoles?
It can be a little difficult making out the neon green letters on my 32" 720p TV sometimes but usually I can tell. I could figure out that the top left box was speed but didn't realize the number next to the "G" was g-force. :lol

Here's a nice reference:
q77Gx.jpg

Also, when're consoles getting the color blind mode? I'm not colorblind but it looks way better than the default.

hitoshi

Well , at 80 hours I think I reached a point when I can rage quit quite fast - I'm starting to get REALLY fed up with a lot of things. I know it will pass because it happened in the past, but still, it's quite a shame. I've tried to summarize my problems in a video, no flaming intented, just pointing out things that annoy me in the game.

http://youtu.be/qzFlLwjin0A

Zeppelin

Well , at 80 hours I think I reached a point when I can rage quit quite fast - I'm starting to get REALLY fed up with a lot of things. I know it will pass because it happened in the past, but still, it's quite a shame. I've tried to summarize my problems in a video, no flaming intented, just pointing out things that annoy me in the game.

Kind of hard to argue with those things. I agree that the game can be frustrating as fuck at times, but when it is at its best... it's probably one of the most entertaining multiplayer games I've ever played. It may not have the same competetive side as games like CS 1.6 or StarCraft, but damn, rolling around with a squad of friends is so much fun.

Also, merry Christmas, BF GAF!

Ferga

All of them are valid points. Especially hate flashlights, tanks getting stuck and sniping with every other gun except a sniper rifle.

Divius

Just had a pretty good round on a 1000 ticket Karkand server, points were nearing the 5 digits and I earned a shitload of ribbons + a service star when THE FUCKING SERVER CRASHED. dammit.

Spl1nter

Just had a pretty good round on a 1000 ticket Karkand server, points were nearing the 5 digits and I earned a shitload of ribbons + a service star when THE FUCKING SERVER CRASHED. dammit.

Its your own fault. DICE has stated that servers with that high a ticket count are likely to crash due to a bug in the server files.

Sounds like you need to learn how to shoot better.

scogoth

Sounds like you need to play PC.

Top Bottom