• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I have 200 kills with the Famas. I only have just 10 kills with the snipers though. I will try to get one more kill each with them and see if it unlocks then.

Whatever gun you first unlocked: Use that. On PS3 people have abused FAMAS for 10 more kills after meeting the 10 kills with all guns and got it. It's what I did.

Dude was in a chopper earlir today where my guys and I could swear he had to be cheating. went like 30+-3 when almost nobody else hit double digit kills, he kept spamming the spawn points on Hill point on Caspian. We rocked this dude with multiple rockets and he did not go down once. Not even using flares. It was literally like he was invincible

Yeah, that's been happening to me all night. They buffed choppers and nerfed stingers-wtf? Is this going to be like BC2 where there are superchoppers and you can never shoot them down?

Anyone also experiecning some players that seem to have double health-I'll empty a ton of bullets into a guy, get hitmarkers, then he hits me a few times and I die. And in the killscreen I see we're using the same gun.

Whatever gun you first unlocked: Use that. On PS3 people have abused FAMAS for 10 more kills after meeting the 10 kills with all guns and got it. It's what I did.

Well now I have to remember which gun I unlocked first. It was either the FAMAS or the G35 so it shouldn't be hard to get 10 more kills with those.

Zeppelin

Yeah, that's been happening to me all night. They buffed choppers and nerfed stingers-wtf? Is this going to be like BC2 where there are superchoppers and you can never shoot them down?

I seriously don't understand where you guys are playing if you feel you're getting raped that hard by choppers. Choppers are ridiculously easy to take out with minimal teamwork. Just paint it and a guided shell/javelin will take it out in one hit. Yes, the Stinger/IGLA suck but it has sucked since a week after release when all pilots had flares unlocked (compared to just roll a regular RPG). Sure, they need to do something about it but you'd think most people had realized and adapted by now.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
So my back to karkland unlocked last night after 5 days of problems with it not reading.

i ain't even mad, just glad it got fixed.

Xux

I seriously don't understand where you guys are playing if you feel you're getting raped that hard by choppers. Choppers are ridiculously easy to take out with minimal teamwork. Just paint it and a guided shell/javelin will take it out in one hit. Yes, the Stinger/IGLA suck but it has sucked since a week after release when all pilots had flares unlocked (compared to just roll a regular RPG). Sure, they need to do something about it but you'd think most people had realized and adapted by now.
I doubt most of the people I get matchmade with know what painting even means let alone teamwork. I don't have any of the Laser Painters for vehicles unlocked so they might as well be invincible since everyone else seems to just ignore them. Attack Helicopters have, by a very large amount, the most influence in the games I play, aside from people willing to capture flags or defend MCOMs.

I'm pretty close to believing that there needs to be a mobile AA in every instance the other team has an Attack Helicopter since they destroy me and me teammates so badly.

Zeppelin

I doubt most of the people I get matchmade with know what painting even means let alone teamwork. I don't have any of the Laser Painters for vehicles unlocked so they might as well be invincible since everyone else seems to just ignore them. Attack Helicopters have, by a very large amount, the most influence in the games I play, aside from people willing to capture flags or defend MCOMs.

I'm pretty close to believing that there needs to be a mobile AA in every instance the other team has an Attack Helicopter since they destroy me and me teammates so badly.

Well, okay, I guess it is a bit trickier if you're on your own. But even when I play alone I think stuff gets painted fairly often. If not, I take one for the team and struggle with the SOFLAM for a while.

It's kind of sad that so many people seem to play the game by themselves. It's so much more fun with a squad.

Xux

Well, okay, I guess it is a bit trickier if you're on your own. But even when I play alone I think stuff gets painted fairly often. If not, I take one for the team and struggle with the SOFLAM for a while.

It's kind of sad that so many people seem to play the game by themselves. It's so much more fun with a squad.
I've probably been in one or two games that have had either a SOFLAM or a Javelin. Maybe I just didn't notice them but I've sat for a few minutes in SOFLAM painting stuff and I have zero damage assists from it. Most Recons seem to prefer flying around in MAV or keeping a TUGS with them on the crane they're sniping from.

I try to play with GAF but I seem to always get on at the wrong times. Most of my friends that played the beta dismissed the game as "not better than COD" which I probably agree with but still like to play more than one game a year regardless.

You make it seem like I have a choice-I want to play with friends-but none of them play this or are busy with Skyrim. It sucks man. So because I can't play with a group-I'm just going to get punished by choppers? I've played as a recon and lit up the vehicles, but no one on my team ever gets the hint and pulls out a javelin.

Divius

You make it seem like I have a choice-I want to play with friends-but none of them play this or are busy with Skyrim. It sucks man. So because I can't play with a group-I'm just going to get punished by choppers? I've played as a recon and lit up the vehicles, but no one on my team ever gets the hint and pulls out a javelin.
And that's where GAF fits right in. A good amount of decent players. Add em to your brolist and tear shit up.

so, it takes 2 people working together to take out 2 people working together? BULLSHIT!!!

I really wish people complaining about being hard to shoot down helis would just stfu already and get on an heli for once. Then I can take whatever they say seriously... except they won't have anything to say then.

so, what you're saying... basically... is the other TEAM is using TEAMWORK... and you're being punished because you aren't?

Yeah well that's bullshit. I can't shoot down one chopper now. Fucking sucks.

Get target lock, wait for pilot to shoot flare, relock and fire stinger. Unless they got two people working together to deploy flares, you have a good chance of hitting with the stinger. Never lock on and fire, you will usually get your missile flared away. They increased reload time on flares so fire right after they shoot flares and they wont get to reload them in time if they don't have teamwork down in the chopper crew.

The problem with taking down choppers (on a map with no AA) is that it takes a specific combination of high-end unlocks, as well as the teamwork to use them properly. Most of the time a team is left in this odd quagmire of "is somebody SOFLAMing?", "does my driver have guided shell equipped?", "javelins suck normally, but if something gets painted maybe I'll switch to it next time I die", yadda yadda... And then of course a lot of the newer or more slow players don't even have this stuff yet.

Helicopters are inherently deadly and you don't even really need that much teamwork - other than alternating flares. But they shouldn't even have two flares anyways, so fuck that.

Yes, if you do get a couple people working together (last night my brother and I were in a tank with CITV and guided shell, and helicopters were raining from the sky) then taking down air is extremely effective, but in pubs a lot of times it just doesn't happen that way.

Stingers are a virtually worthless option.

Seeing how I keep getting points from shooting down choppers from stingers on a fairly regular basis, calling them worthless seems quite hyperbolic

This. If it's just you with a Stinger vs. chopper that lets you get two locks, you WILL get a hit, and it's usually just a matter of time from there. And if their gunner has flares, too--well, you shouldn't be able to take them down that easily.

I really don't think one soldier SHOULD be able to take down a chopper, either. I know they're probably gonna buff the Stinger, and if that happens, they should really consider reducing it's range. Mobile AA should be the cornerstone of AA for the team, Stingers should be useful but in key areas/points around the map.

Changes I'd like to see to AA and choppers in general:

-Assuming a Stinger buff, reduce the range
-Jets should explode if they ram choppers (I think this change is coming too)
-Lightpoles/antennae should be destructible (seems minor but anything to help increase chopper survivability)
-Laser-guided missile locks need a different tone or additional warning so the pilot has a chance to perform evasive maneuvers
-CITV station and Laser Point needs to have a visual indicator like SOFLAM

You're a filthy liar.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

You're a filthy liar.

:p

Lot of choppers are in the air that don't have full team, players with all the unlocks, pilot+gunner working as proper teams, actual good pilots, etc.

A fully loaded chopper with proper team work is a deadly thing that is tough to bring down without team work, but in reality tons of choppers are in the air that don't have this dynamic going down.

I really don't think one soldier SHOULD be able to take down a chopper, either.

I'd agree with that. But getting multiple engineers, all equipped with stingers, working in unison is an even more unrealistic expectation of teamwork than the stuff I mentioned before.

-Assuming a Stinger buff, reduce the range

Oh god no. Stingers are fine. What needs to happen is a nerf to the flares. Increase their recharge by a couple seconds. Those two seconds will make all the difference in the world. Let the flares give them a freebie escape, but then force him to evade after that. Having two flares on such a short recharge is ridiculous. Or, my favorite, the magical repairing transport chopper.

-Laser-guided missile locks need a different tone or additional warning so the pilot has a chance to perform evasive maneuvers

That'd be cool.

-CITV station and Laser Point needs to have a visual indicator like SOFLAM

That'd be cool too.

Kak.efes

Stingers are still affective. If I'm hit (and I miraculously don't die from inside the cockpit. Does this happen to anyone else with regularity?), I just disengage behind a building, or hill, long enough to get back to full health, and make another pass at somebody. The pilots who don't, die. I think that's the problem a lot of people are having, pilots have just gotten a lot better.

A fully loaded chopper with proper team work is a deadly thing that is tough to bring down without team work, but in reality tons of choppers are in the air that don't have this dynamic going down.

No, I know. I realize that any team with skill and teamwork is going to dominate those without, no matter what position they play as. It just seems that the choppers, especially on maps like Oman and Sharqi, have this insane ability to lock down the entire map and there's not a damn thing that I, as a ground player, can do about it. It's just frustrating, and now I'm taking it out on you jerks.

You know what else is frustrating? The 45 seconds I have to wait after the round ends. Is this a server variable or something? Do people really need this much time to go over end-game stats? Or should I just be making a sandwich?

Lot of choppers are in the air that don't have full team, players with all the unlocks, pilot+gunner working as proper teams, actual good pilots, etc.

This is what I would argue as well. For every "invincible" chopper one might encounter, there's five or ten being flown by scrubs, or with a gunner who can't hit shit. Take the good with the bad in that sense, per usual - it's a war game, after all. I've not put in nearly the hours as most of you, but I don't think I've even been killed by a chopper more than a handful of times. They also have a tendency to focus on vehicles in my experience, not infantry, so since I rarely use vehicles (I'm almost always on foot), there's that too: I can basically, usually, go about my business sans being spawn-camped.

Jtrizzy

I haven't been able to connect to a multiplayer game since launch for some reason. It works fine on PSN, my connection seems fine in every other aspect, but PC the game goes to the loading screen for a second, then closes and it says unable to connect.

Cause: Bug with x64 OS
Fix: Open / Run regedit.

Navigate to: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WoW6432Node/EA Games

Change the GDFBinary & InstallDir paths to C:program Files (x86)Origin GamesBattlefield 3

Try to launch the game and join game servers, and it should work.

I found this possible fix, but have no clue how to do this...any assistance would be appreciated.

I haven't been able to connect to a multiplayer game since launch for some reason. It works fine on PSN, my connection seems fine in every other aspect, but PC the game goes to the loading screen for a second, then closes and it says unable to connect.

Cause: Bug with x64 OS
Fix: Open / Run regedit.

Navigate to: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WoW6432Node/EA Games

Change the GDFBinary & InstallDir paths to C:program Files (x86)Origin GamesBattlefield 3

Try to launch the game and join game servers, and it should work.

I found this possible fix, but have no clue how to do this...any assistance would be appreciated.

press the windows key

type regedit

hit enter

select "yes" to allow this application to make changes if the user access control window pops up

a window with the title Registry Editor should appear

there are two panes, look at the left pane

open up (click on) the HKEY LOCAL MACHINE item

open up (click on) the SOFTWARE item inside the previous item

open up (click on) the WoW6432Node item inside the previous item

open up (click on) the EA Games item inside the previous item

right click on the GDFBinary item on the left pane

select the Modify option from the menu

change the value there to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3

right click on the InstallDir item on the left pane

select the Modify option from the menu

change the value there to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3

close the registry editor

Seanspeed

Banned
Good chopper pilots also require a partner who also has gone through unlocking ton of shit.

I hate to bring up the 'other game', but one thing I did enjoy about Call of Duty is that I never felt disadvantaged compared to experienced players aside from the difference in map knowledge. Battlefield really does disadvantage you until you unlock stuff and it kinda sucks sometimes.

Anyways, mainly came here just to say that when this game is at its best, I've had some of the greatest gaming moments of my life. Especially on these new maps. I also think this game needs to be played LOUD. Really ramps up the excitement factor.

Wthermans

Banned

Given that the chopper pilot and gunner are working together, then yes, you as a solo player should get rocked by two players working together. Especially since flying a chopper (and actually being good in it) requires quite a bit of skill and practice. It doesn't take much skill or practice to hold your crosshair over a target until you get a lock-on.

Anyways, mainly came here just to say that when this game is at its best, I've had some of the greatest gaming moments of my life. Especially on these new maps. I also think this game needs to be played LOUD. Really ramps up the excitement factor.
Totally. I don't have a surround system hooked up, but I play at night after the wife is asleep usually so I use my Turtle Beach 5.1 set. Yeah the sound isn't perfect but they do explosions and gunfire just fine, and the directional sound is solid.

Being in a battle with jets flying over, rockets whizzing past, cover crumbling after a big impact, gunfire all around you, and yet somehow making sense of things and executing a strategy through all that aural chaos is so satisfying.

Aural Chaos is the name of my doom metal band.

Virzeth

zh1nt0 said:
Word from us at DICE

Since the game launched, we have been collecting valuable feedback from these forums as well as other social channels. Of course we are very happy to see that everyone is contributing to make this game even more awesome!
Therefore, we would also like to tell you that we have picked up the issue since launch with the QBU-88 Sniper rifle and MG36-LMG in back to Karkand not acting as they should. We have identified the problem and are working on a fix.
We will of course keep you posted on our progress!
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654776640060333/

crash7800 said:
New NVIDIA GeForce drivers available

New NVIDIA GeForce beta drivers have been released.
While these aren't a large change, it will help players using the 400-Series GPUs who are having "black triangle" issues.

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/nvidia-geforce-290-53-beta-drivers-released [geforce.com]
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654776677714472/

Mordeccai

Guys, my father is trying to play the single player campaign (He sucks major dick at multiplayer, he can't even move and look at the same time so easy mode on campaign is literally the only thing he can play) and he will randomly get booted out of the game.

An error pops up that says "The connection with EA online was lost."

What the flying fuck? Online should have nothing to do with singleplayer. Anybody else have similar issues and know how to fix this?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Why is the GPU usage still balls in this game? I'm getting 40fps with 55% usage at times. Meanwhile Shogun 2 has it pegged at 99% constantly.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
And that's where GAF fits right in. A good amount of decent players. Add em to your brolist and tear shit up.

Did this a few times on BC2...
It got boring because the other team kept leaveing...
we had a defensive wall of tanks in harvest day =D

Reave

I'm a little disappointed with BF3 after seeing how the post-release support/content/fixes have gone. In a lot of ways, I think BC2 is the better Battlefield (at least on consoles). Better maps, better weapons, class structure and far better pacing.

It's a cryin' shame nobody still plays it. I'm lucky if I can get a 7v7 match going (PS3). If you guys still have BC2, pop it in and try it out. BF3 still kicks ass, though.

I'm a little disappointed with BF3 after seeing how the post-release support/content/fixes have gone. In a lot of ways, I think BC2 is the better Battlefield (at least on consoles). Better maps, better weapons, class structure and far better pacing.

It's a cryin' shame nobody still plays it. I'm lucky if I can get a 7v7 match going (PS3). If you guys still have BC2, pop it in and try it out. BF3 still kicks ass, though.

No, just no. I loved Bad Company 2, but BF3 does so much right. All of the things I disliked from BC2 have been fixed in BF3, and the new engine is glorious.

Arnie

I loved BC2 but I couldn't go back to it after BF3. Heck, I can't go back to the vanilla maps after B2K. Hope they announce another expansion pack after christmas, I want something else to get hyped about. In the meantime I'll keep plugging away at these four awesome maps.

Top Bottom