• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Wthermans

Banned
Looks like Battlelog just crashed. I swear, I'm having more disconnects and problems with the game now than I was at launch.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Pilot AAAANNNND Gunner having flares is absolute bullshit. If they're in communication the only way to bring down a helicopter is with a SOFLAM and Javelin...

or another attack copter
or a jet
or a tank (direct fire or with CITV+guided shell)
or a scout copter
or mg fire
or mobile aa
or stationary aa

Thing is, there are LOTS of ways to take down a helicopter regardless of what tactic the helicopter squads use, just most people don't feel it is worth the effort/time to implement them. If it isn't as easy as a 1-hit fire and forget Javelin it is too much work, the copter is overpowered.

Hopefully the whiners won't get their way like they did in BF2. At one point in BF2 the AA was so ridiculous people wouldn't even fly helicopters. They just sat there on the pad, ignored.

Has anyone ever encountered those jet pilots that just won't die, and no matter what you do, they will always be right on your tail and kill you in 2 seconds?

They piss me off so much.

SOFLAM is such an overpowered piece of shit. I have no idea why it's even in this game. If you're in a helicopter, it's an unavoidable death.

The problem with taking down choppers (on a map with no AA) is that it takes a one guy with stingers. two guys with stingers if they have a gunner with flares.

Fixed it for you my brother.

Honestly anyone complaining about air in this game pretty much has a 99 percent chance of being absolutely terrible with a very, very rudimentary understanding of how the game works and plays.

If anything they need to buff choppers so ground-to-air missiles are a two hit, not one hit, disable.

ShdwDrake

Banned
On PC, there some console command shit, how the fuck do you close it? It keeps popping up and hindering me from playing the game and its pissing me off.

Wthermans

Banned
SOFLAM is such an overpowered piece of shit. I have no idea why it's even in this game. If you're in a helicopter, it's an unavoidable death.

I've love to see SOFLAM removed and tracer darts make a return. I can't even play the game anymore because EA screwed up their hosting for Battlelog so not like it matters.

Xux

I really wish people complaining about being hard to shoot down helis would just stfu already and get on an heli for once. Then I can take whatever they say seriously... except they won't have anything to say then.
I've tried this. I'm an okay chopper pilot sometimes and I have Stealth/Flares/Heat Seekers so I can do okay. I just have to wrestle the chopper out of the hands of people who crash it after a few seconds or hope the other team's chopper hasn't destroyed ours on the pad.

The enemy attack helicopters always seem to have gunners, too, which puts me at a serious disadvantage chopper on chopper and in terms of overall survivability.
Or, my favorite, the magical repairing transport chopper.
Being able to repair the choppers from inside is literally one of the stupidest design decisions in this game up there with explosives being lethal to infantry and bullets doing different damage depending on what body parts you hit.
This is the most reliable if I can pry them from people who just want to dogfight all match.
or a tank (direct fire or with CITV+guided shell)
Both of these seem pretty rare. I do run Guided shell since it's good for tank-on-tank; haven't grinded enough for CITV. SOFLAM and people that have or run any vehicle laser pointers are ridiculously rare.
or a scout copter
...I can't think of any instance where both Scout Helicopters and Attack Helicopters spawn on the same map/gamemode combo.
or mg fire
This is so pathetically inefficient that it's not even worth getting the choppers attention with it.
or mobile aa
This works...on the one map that the Mobile AA spawns on that has Attack Helicopters...which is half the maps the Mobile AA spawns on on consoles and a third of map/game mode combos it spawns on overall.
or stationary aa
These just kinda suck outside of the rare instance the chopper pilot is stupid enough to be greedy enough to try and patrol the spawn.
Thing is, there are LOTS of ways to take down a helicopter regardless of what tactic the helicopter squads use, just most people don't feel it is worth the effort/time to implement them. If it isn't as easy as a 1-hit fire and forget Javelin it is too much work, the copter is overpowered.

Hopefully the whiners won't get their way like they did in BF2. At one point in BF2 the AA was so ridiculous people wouldn't even fly helicopters. They just sat there on the pad, ignored.
I think they're fine, to be completely honest; they just need to add Mobile AAs to more than one Conquest Small map. Shit, I'd be fine with them buffing them so that flares work while hovering or even while landed if they get rid of being able to repair certain ones while inside.

demolitio

It's definitely really annoying. I have no problems with Stingers anymore except for when I have a crappy gunner and mobile AA is beastly as usual unless you get the drop on it, but SOFLAM basically gives you no chance of survival unless you can find an object to duck your chopper behind. It doesn't even give you a full tone so all you know is someone is trying to lock on and next thing you know, you're dead from a Javelin without even knowing it was fired. I get the idea of encouraging teamwork, but helicopters are on the losing end again for the 50th time just like the guided missiles in tanks. Everything on the ground is now a threat to air assets which kind of defeats the rock, paper, scissors gameplay that's been a staple of BF.

And note, I'm still a good pilot and was the helo pilot for a few BF2 tourneys in the past so it's not like I suck in the air, it's just an inevitable death in BF3 now unless the map has objects to use to conceal you to do surprise attacks. I'm fine with giving guys on the ground a chance, but not every damn thing should be able to fire at you easily with no real risk involved. I still shoot helos with my tank's cannon but I miss the days where more people did that too if the pilot flew low enough. Hell, jets are pretty damn pointless in this game too since they still just annoy ground targets more than anything else.

Grinding squad deathmatch to unlock the L85 is one of the WORST gaming experiences that I have ever encountered. Why does Dice force me to play this pile of shit that they call a game type. ITS AWFUL

Tawpgun

Got any tips on how to get the repair tool vehicle kill?

I disabled a tank and finished it off with the repair tool, but it gave credit for the kill to the SMAW... <_<

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why are you guys wasting time grinding for the l96?
It's an SV-98 with a different skin and grindy, unpleasant requirements. M98B or bust.

L96 isn't that bad, compared to the SV98 in terms of default scope and stuff. Seems to have a faster bullet velocity/less drop as well.

I disabled a tank and finished it off with the repair tool, but it gave credit for the kill to the SMAW... <_<

Same thing happened to me, your best bet is to do it to the amtrack. Just have a teammate disable it first. It doesn't matter if an enemy is in that or not, it still does damage.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Grinding squad deathmatch to unlock the L85 is one of the WORST gaming experiences that I have ever encountered. Why does Dice force me to play this pile of shit that they call a game type. ITS AWFUL

These maps ain't built for death match at all. It's terrible.

akira28

Helos aren't overpowered. Plenty of times I'll go on a revenge vendetta and ask someone to pop a soflam so I can Javelin, or just use a Stinger with the Explosives Perk. They have 10 seconds to reload flares, and I can have a second stinger in the air by then. They *will* go down. Jets are a different story.

demolitio

Someone told me that equipment counts as a vehicle kill so destroy a spawn beacon with it and see.

Hellcrow

Being able to repair the choppers from inside is literally one of the stupidest design decisions in this game up there with explosives being lethal to infantry and bullets doing different damage depending on what body parts you hit.

Can you.. uhm.. explain why all these decisions are stupid, or is this a joke?

Xux

Can you.. uhm.. explain why all these decisions are stupid, or is this a joke?
Well, Helicopters have their high maneuverability, killing potential, and versatility in possible targets balanced by their fragility; having them be able to repair while flying seems silly and unbalanced.

Explosives being lethal is bad due to their splash damage and often indirect methods of killing that leaves a lot of their kills up to luck.

Headshots doing more damage is a neat concept but hipfire, latency, and now suppression mean that they're typically more luck than skill. Bullets doing less damage to a character's legs is just more frustrating than anything due to all the different stances, movement, and all the factors that I said make headshots less than impressive; the feeling of inconsistency it causes is pretty awful.

Salacious Crumb

People complaining about air superiority in BF3 should be forced to play a few rounds of BF2.

I think They've struck as close to a perfect balance as is possible in BF3. Air vehicles are devastating in the right hands, but nothing that can't be over come with team work. That's the way it should be.

sp3000

People complaining about air superiority in BF3 should be forced to play a few rounds of BF2.

I think They've struck as close to a perfect balance as is possible in BF3. Air vehicles are devastating in the right hands, but nothing that can't be over come with team work. That's the way it should be.

Jets are pretty much useless to anyone on the ground. They just sit up fighting in the air all the time with no effect on the actual game. Guided missiles have no effect without a soflam which most people never bother to get. The removal of bombs was the stupidest decision along with 2 person jets.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Somebody seems to think that all helicopters can be repaired from inside. It is only the transport copter.

1 person flying, copter is defenseless except for flares.
1-2 people repairing, copter is still defenseless but regens HP very quickly.
1-2 people on door guns, copter isn't bad vs. infantry, other copters, and light vehicles.

Perhaps a vehicle that FIVE people are working to keep in the air should be hard to kill, particularly if you're trying to do it by yourself.

As it stands now the only valid complaint about "overpowered" helicopters would have to be about the Scout helicopter, since with the right unlocks you can laze your own targets. That is why I've spent a LOT of time on Kharg Island, lately, lol. Grab the scout copter, hide behind a building/mountain, pop-up, laze some targets, launch your missile, drop back into cover. Eventually the enemy attack copter will get pissed and ignore everything else just to kill you.

Xux

Somebody seems to think that all helicopters can be repaired from inside. It is only the transport copter.

1 person flying, copter is defenseless except for flares.
1-2 people repairing, copter is still defenseless but regens HP very quickly.
1-2 people on door guns, copter isn't bad vs. infantry, other copters, and light vehicles.

Perhaps a vehicle that FIVE people are working to keep in the air should be hard to kill, particularly if you're trying to do it by yourself.
I see sparks flying out from people repairing Scout Helicopters from the inside all the time; I know it's impossible on Attack Helicopters.

Zeppelin

Agreed. I hope to God the whiners don't get their way with this one.

Jets are pretty much useless to anyone on the ground. They just sit up fighting in the air all the time with no effect on the actual game. Guided missiles have no effect without a soflam which most people never bother to get. The removal of bombs was the stupidest decision along with 2 person jets.

Christ... Are we even playing the same game? A jet will take out a tank in one sweep with some luck, if not the second sweep will get it. Plus, helicopters are fairly easy to take out with the machine guns.

Anyone else tried SMAA on Battlefield 3? So much nicer than MSAA/FXAA.

Although I do get a 5-10 FPS hit with it, which is around what I get with MSAA... but SMAA looks better.

L96 isn't that bad, compared to the SV98 in terms of default scope and stuff. Seems to have a faster bullet velocity/less drop as well.
recochart6.png

I think people are doing it for nostalgia's sake, No way they'd do all that if they knew it was an Sv-98 with ~+5% Muzzle veloicty and a slower reload
I would have done it if I didn't check because when you think l96 you usually think .338 Lapua, what the M98b uses so it would have been a double capacity m98b, but it's chambered in the standard 7.62 NATO here, like all the other bolt actions.

Jets are indeed useless for capturing points and killing infantry, but in the right hands (mine) they can harass enemy vehicles and turn the tide of a battle.

Air Radar
EM Jammer
Rocket Pods

The first two are just to keep me alive, the key choice is Rocket Pods. If my teammates spot a tank or AA I will have it disabled in no time. If I'm not taking fire I can slow down and kill it in one pass, otherwise I loop around and destroy it on my second run (or disable it again if they've been repairing).

RiverBed

Banned
What does that sniper graph mean as far as damage is concerned? Which is the sniper rifle with the most damage?

Also, BF3 froze on me for the fourth time on my brand new PS3. It is a complete freeze that I have to manually turn off my console from the power button. What gives? Anyone else have this problem?

Also, BF3 froze on me for the fourth time on my brand new PS3. It is a complete freeze that I have to manually turn off my console from the power button. What gives? Anyone else have this problem?

It's happened to me a handful of times, sure. Doesn't strike me as an "issue," though. Games freeze, some more than others. If 10 is unplayable, 1 is never freezes at all, BF3 is like a 2 or 3 for me.

What does that sniper graph mean as far as damage is concerned? Which is the sniper rifle with the most damage?

top number is max damage
bottom number is min damage
chart shows when damage scaling starts and ends

M98B

it does 95 at up to 20M and 59 at 75M

sidenote: default health in normal is 100 and hardcore is 60, so the M98B won't 1HK to the body in HC outside of 75M

iam220

Starting to play a bit more recon and just unlocked the SKS. It's a damn good gun to have when playing a more aggressive recon. Not quite as reliable as a carbine or assault rifle up close but it's still able to get the job done and is a fantastic gun at med-long ranges, slap a 4x scope or go iron sights and you're golden.

Also, I don't seem to be getting much use out of the radio beacon on conquest, maybe if it provided an additional spawn point instead of replacing yours; I might actually use the damn thing.

Divius

So I vacuumed my CPU cooler which was dusty as hell, tried playing again and now it doesn't reach 100 degrees anymore, yay.

It's definitely really annoying. I have no problems with Stingers anymore except for when I have a crappy gunner and mobile AA is beastly as usual unless you get the drop on it, but SOFLAM basically gives you no chance of survival unless you can find an object to duck your chopper behind. It doesn't even give you a full tone so all you know is someone is trying to lock on and next thing you know, you're dead from a Javelin without even knowing it was fired. I get the idea of encouraging teamwork, but helicopters are on the losing end again for the 50th time just like the guided missiles in tanks. Everything on the ground is now a threat to air assets which kind of defeats the rock, paper, scissors gameplay that's been a staple of BF.

And note, I'm still a good pilot and was the helo pilot for a few BF2 tourneys in the past so it's not like I suck in the air, it's just an inevitable death in BF3 now unless the map has objects to use to conceal you to do surprise attacks. I'm fine with giving guys on the ground a chance, but not every damn thing should be able to fire at you easily with no real risk involved. I still shoot helos with my tank's cannon but I miss the days where more people did that too if the pilot flew low enough. Hell, jets are pretty damn pointless in this game too since they still just annoy ground targets more than anything else.
I'm not the best pilot but I'm not terrible either, between all the heli's they are my best vehicles. But you've summed up my gripes. I love using them, but feel it's pointless because there's not a thing that can't kill you. I don't want to them to be over powered because that would be a pain in the ass and unfair, but as it stands right now, they must be the most weakened vehicle in the game. If somebody really wants you out of the air, they don't have to do very much in the way of trying.

So I vacuumed my CPU cooler which was dusty as hell, tried playing again and now it doesn't reach 100 degrees anymore, yay.
Had the same thing a month or so back. CPU was hitting 65C with a Corsair H50 cooler. Opened up the box to find a carpet of dust. Cleaned it up and now I max at 46.

So I was playing a round in my buddy's house the other night and another on my own 360 at home. Both rounds I fancied a go in the Little Bird. I came away with 18+ in each round. I killed a few Z-11Ws and a lot of infantry and only came away with a few deaths. Anyway, most of those Z-11Ws are really not that hard to kill even with somebody healing. Rocket them sucker s and if they start to heal, gatling gun them. Chances are you'll blow it up, kill the pilot or the healer, either way, it goes down. And like I said above, I'm not an amazing pilot or anything.

MI-28 HAVOC - 89 Kills
AH-1Z VIPER - 83 Kills
AH-6J LITTLE BIRD - 80 Kills
Z-11W - 78

In fact, there's the report thing, http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/15450517/2/174476990/

Seriously, people hating on heli's need to realise the pilots have got it worse than them. If we actually do well, it's because we've worked hard.

Samus4145

So am I an asshole? Planted C4 around the flag at A on Wake Island, went to attack other flag. Saw that A was blinking hit detonate, Triple Kill Bonus + Flag defense. Immediately got a PSN message calling me an asshole.

So am I an asshole? Planted C4 around the flag at A on Wake Island, went to attack other flag. Saw that A was blinking hit detonate, Triple Kill Bonus + Flag defense. Immediately got a PSN message calling me an asshole.

Your end = hillarious
Their end = rage

CrankyJay

Banned
Meh, meant to post this in PC area....is this it?

Just curious, what's everyone's longest sniper rifle headshot? I haven't had a ton of time to play around with a bipodded non-muzzled rifle, but I got 620meters, and another clan mate got 702. I'm sure can go further.

Did this on Kharg Island conquest from the aircraft carrier.

Wthermans

Banned
Personally I don't think DICE should listen to anyone that can't fly competently. I've seen far too many people complain about OP airpower (both jets and helis) without ever spending anytime in those vehicles.

CrankyJay

Banned
Personally I don't think DICE should listen to anyone that can't fly competently. I've seen far too many people complain about OP airpower (both jets and helis) without ever spending anytime in those vehicles.

It's hard for people who have gotten a late start on jets to get started. I've tried flying about 30 times now and have 0 points in jets. I either get shot down immediately from another jet or people on the ground soflamming and javelin on the jets. I can't get the 300 points required to get IR Flares. LOL.

It's hard for people who have gotten a late start on jets to get started. I've tried flying about 30 times now and have 0 points in jets. I either get shot down immediately from another jet or people on the ground soflamming and javelin on the jets. I can't get the 300 points required to get IR Flares. LOL.
Go into an empty server (well, one that only has a couple people so you can actually play) and try to get points there.

Worst case you can always just play Operation Firestorm and taxi a jet to the first control point for capture points.

Once you unlock flares it's much easier to stay alive.

Divius

Meh, meant to post this in PC area....is this it?

Just curious, what's everyone's longest sniper rifle headshot? I haven't had a ton of time to play around with a bipodded non-muzzled rifle, but I got 620meters, and another clan mate got 702. I'm sure can go further.

Did this on Kharg Island conquest from the aircraft carrier.
mine is 314.11, but I rarely snipe.

Longest: 3978.42m

Wthermans

Banned

If you're getting SOFLAMed in the jet, you're doing it wrong. The only time you should ever get SOFLAMed is if you're just circling over a section of the map over and over again.

What do you typically do right when you take off? Do you try to fly over the battlefield or make a beeline towards the nearest enemy jet/helicopter? If so, that's your problem. As a newer pilot without any flares, you should NEVER try to attack the flags, you will always get shot down. Best thing to do is to immediately get to max altitude and you should stay there while staying near your home base. You're much less likely to be shot down right away and can formulate a plan of attack. Helicopters are going to be easy kills right now. As are other jets.

This requires you know how to fly and lead your target. If you can't do that, you need to go to an empty server and learn how to fly, maximize your turning capability by learning the intricacies of throttle control, and how to lead targets with your cannon.

There are also servers out there strictly for learning how to fly and you're more likely to be teamed against someone that's new as well.

Top Bottom