• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Dacon

Banned
So I picked up the PC version courtesy of a friend after playing a good bit on 360.

So far it's pretty awesome and the overall framerate is pretty good. The only issue is, I get really random stuttering, and I can't tell if it's my connection to the game or if it's some sort of technical issue. Fucks up my performance.

So I picked up the PC version courtesy of a friend after playing a good bit on 360.

So far it's pretty awesome and the overall framerate is pretty good. The only issue is, I get really random stuttering, and I can't tell if it's my connection to the game or if it's some sort of technical issue. Fucks up my performance.

Could be a VRAM problem, reduce the texture setting a bit.

Tawpgun

BC2 had this same problem.

This game absolutely FUCKS any new players who get it a good amount of time after the launch date. I got a friend who got it for Christmas and he says its terrible because everyone else has better stuff than him.

AndyD

aka andydumi

This game absolutely FUCKS any new players who get it a good amount of time after the launch date. I got a friend who got it for Christmas and he says its terrible because everyone else has better stuff than him.

BF3 is much better than others in this regard. Some of the best guns are actually starter guns. And within a few hours of gaming you can certainly get new guns and/or accessories that let you play very well.

You wont be #1 in your first game, but you should be able to stay in the middle of the pack comfortably even at level 1 if you don't rambo all the time. BF3 has quite a bit of support you can do either through healing/reviving, ammo resupply, spotting and generally working with your squad, so the initial ramp up is quite quick.

My advice is squad up right away, and follow your squad members until you learn the maps and get a feel for the mechanics, the guns and everything else. Within a few hours you should be just fine. Where the game screws you when being new is not gun selection, but map knowledge. The game has a lot of maps and they have different variations, and each one has a lot of details that have to be learned through experience. Most maps have multiple fronts, the flashpoints change as flags change, and vehicles make travel quite quick, so you can get blindsided easily if you run around aimlessly.

I have two friends who got this game for Xmas and we played together quite a bit over the past few days and they are just fine. Now to get them into a GAF platoon.

Level 45 and still use supports original weapons.

Cobra84

BF3 is much better than others in this regard. Some of the best guns are actually starter guns. And within a few hours of gaming you can certainly get new guns and/or accessories that let you play very well.
The Russian starter weapons aren't as good and the assault and engineer the AK-74s are terrible. I wouldn't want to use a stock weapon against someone with a scope/grip/silencer on a spray and pray gun.

New players are totally screwed in vehicles, especially jets. They are going to have to spent a ton of time in the gunner's seat to catch up enough to actually drive.

Level 45 and still use supports original weapons.
I see no reason to use them over the MG36.

Deadly

The Russian starter weapons aren't as good and the assault and engineer the AK-74s are terrible. I wouldn't want to use a stock weapon against someone with a scope/grip/silencer on a spray and pray gun.
The AKS-74 is freakin amazing. I was actually going to switch back to it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Thousand of :lol 's here.

Starting guns are fine. The AEK in BC2 was shitty with it's iron-sights, but like BC2: BF3's starting guns are all viable. Unlike BC2 you're not starting at a disadvantage with no Magnum Ammo. Get good, kids.

i agree that new players are screwed in vehicles, especially in the air... bu the starting guns are all good! and you can even get the DAO-12 brand new!

mcp

Neo Member
Team DM is a good option to unlock weapon attachements quickly. Even with a naked starting gun you can get kills quickly. The layouts are quick to learn seeing as they are so small.

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone use a flight stick for flying on the PC? Does this make the flying experience any better than KB/mouse?

I've had a big 180 with this game...I hated it at first compared to BC2 but damn, this game is great on so many levels.

My only real gripe is wish DICE came up with a better autobalancing system. Was playing on my clan's server last night and it was like 10 cols on 1 team and a bunch of noobs on the other. Needless to say we lost like 10 matches in a row and people were quitting left and right.

Deadly

Anyone use a flight stick for flying on the PC? Does this make the flying experience any better than KB/mouse?

I've had a big 180 with this game...I hated it at first compared to BC2 but damn, this game is great on so many levels.

My only real gripe is wish DICE came up with a better autobalancing system. Was playing on my clan's server last night and it was like 10 cols on 1 team and a bunch of noobs on the other. Needless to say we lost like 10 matches in a row and people were quitting left and right.
I think the GAF server used a script that autobalanced based on SPM and kept squads. Maybe you can try that

Anyone else run into an issue where you're unable to join others for co-op? I'm not receiving any invites, nor is my mate.

I'm a bit addicted to this game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

The stick is a must for choppers, IMHO. I guess you can learn m/kb if you had to but why put yourself through that misery. Jets see some benefit for maneuvering, but it's easier to use gun sights with the m/kb. So I end up using both.

scogoth

Spl1nter is an example of the crazy things you can do with a kb/m and Pennybaggz swears by the 360 controller. For me I like a flight stick but its personally preference, though one the cooler things you can't do with kb/m is the infinite heli circle strafe of death.

Get a 360 controller. I think having some kind of controller is almost required to be a good pilot.

I also wish they would let us reset ranks. I miss grinding for gunz.

Zeppelin

A friend of mine used to use a flight stick. Then he realized binding 'space' to pitch up is pretty cool. For jets that is.

For choppers I prefer mouse and keyboard and only using the mouse when I need to fire ze missiles. Maneuvering with only the keyboard allows one to fly more aggressively imo.

Wthermans

Banned
You don't need a flight stick to fly in BF3 and due to the way joystick emulation is handled, you actually get no advantage when compared to Mouse+KB. Personally I use WSAD + Arrow Keys for both jets and choppers but I've been flying that way since BF1942 so it's pretty much second nature at this point.

mcp

Neo Member
I'm a fan of the 360 controller especially for Jets but also for helis. No setup needed you just have to make sure it is turned on before you fire up BF3. I have an X-52 but it takes up too much desk space for BF3 for me seeing as I switch to M+KB when on the ground.

With an attack helicopter, I'm a beast with the keyboard and mouse combination. Yet, I can't manoeuvre the transport chopper for shit.

Also, played a few B2K games today and was rubber banding all over the place, despite a ping in the 20s. Fuck it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I knew it would be different but holy crap the pc version is so amazing looking after playing 360 for so long. Playing at 1080p on ultra settings - sweet merciful crap.

I played the PS3 version I bought for all of about an hour and a half. I'm sorry but it looks like straight up ass compared to the PC version that I've put over 100 hours in.

Welcome to the master race!

Some dude killed me 9 fucking times from his chopper on Caspian CQ. We lost of course, tho I was somehow tops on my team. If I knew how to fly that'd be great but I don't.

Why didn't you shoot him down?

In one week I read in this thread "OMG CHOPPERS ARE SO WEAK, I GET CONSTANTLY LOCKED ON!", now I read "OMG CHOPPERS NEED A NERF!".

I don't get it.

I find it terribly difficult to shoot choppers down.

I mean, not "terribly difficult" in that it's impossible, but with flares it's just ... I feel like I'm waisting my time while foot-soldiers move in on me.

And that's another thing: how is it that when I land a shot on a chopper and it starts smoking and the dudes bail out ... how is it that when it crashes I don't get "vehicle destroyed" points? I mean I know I didn't blow the thing up with the prerequisite 3 hits or whatever it is, but it's clearly destroyed and I clearly caused it ...

Don't mean to be all "I want more points," but I just think little stuff like this contributes to players seeming oblivious to certain things. If I'm not getting points why the fuck should I bother? I'm on the fast-track to being someone who ignores choppers and I don't like that.

Why didn't you shoot him down?

In one week I read in this thread "OMG CHOPPERS ARE SO WEAK, I GET CONSTANTLY LOCKED ON!", now I read "OMG CHOPPERS NEED A NERF!".

I don't get it.

It's just people bitching about what killed them. Same as people complaining that the game is full of campers and snipers are OP.

mcp

Neo Member
I think choppers are at the point now that if you have a very skilled pilot & gunner they will dominate, soflams and javelins be damned. Hoever anyone with less than godly skills will get chewed up pretty badly. Also on some servers people just don't get their act together on anti air and presume that someone else is doing it. I love it when I am flying on a server like that :D

I am doing better in the choppers now even though I am still about 5000pts from ECM. I'm just staying low and behind things a lot more.

I really wish the littlebird / zw-11 were on more maps. They are so much fun to fly and fight with.

I have switched to ecm on jets and really don't miss the flares at all. Even If I don't get the ecm off in time or am caught with it recharging I can dodge the missiles more often than not. Glowing red soflams on rooftops provide a nice target point for strafing the crap out of.

I find it terribly difficult to shoot choppers down.

I mean, not "terribly difficult" in that it's impossible, but with flares it's just ... I feel like I'm waisting my time while foot-soldiers move in on me.
You can reload your STINGER faster than the flares do, so if you have enough rockets equipped you CAN shoot anythig down as a foot soldier.

You can reload your STINGER faster than the flares do, so if you have enough rockets equipped you CAN shoot anythig down as a foot soldier.

I fire off my 3-4 shots, the chopper starts smoking, the dudes bail out, I've done my job, and yet I'm left holding my dick in the wind with zero points. That's not motivating. At all. That's my main point.

I know it's possible (quite possible) to shoot them down, I'm just illustrating why people might have a tendency to ignore them, because I'm almost right there with them.

redhot_

I don't know about that one. I easily fly away from the 2nd rocket lock on coming from a foot soldier with stealth on. If they do end up getting the 2nd rocket off as i'm heading away I usually get the flares reloaded in time before it connects. The only sure way to drop a chopper with me in it is to just ram a jet into me or if the pilot of a jet is smart.. he won't fire his missiles until his nose is just about touching my chopper. That and guided tank shells of course.

Nerf Choppers. Holy hell.

I'm starting to feel the same way. For like the past week straight, it's SUPERCHOPPAS just killing everyone left and right-stingers won't work because both the pilot and gunner have flares-if you put SOFLAM's up no one uses Javelins and/or the chopper justs comes up and destroys your SOFLAM. Might be time to play Skyrim for a while, or Skyward Sword. I'm having less and less fun lately with the game.

DSN2K

have a huge graphical problem, ground seems to have disappeared !?!? does BF3 have similar cache system I can delete and let it optimize again like BF2 ?

akira28

They just need to force people into teamwork. I put a call out for SOFLAM for my javies all the time. Sometimes it works out. Most times actually. But sometimes, I can't get cooperation for anything.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Your friend is just using excuses to make him feel good about his poor performance. Unless he is spending all his time trying to fly jets/copters the unlocks aren't a big deal, particularly since you can get just about anything infantry-specific fairly quickly playing on 64 player Operation Metro conquest servers. ;)

If he wants jet unlocks as a new player he should stick to the rush jets where most people will be configured for ground attack. As long as he understands the basics of dogfighting he'll do fine even as a noob.

If he wants attack copter unlocks he should stick to gunning, spamming q as a poor man's thermal to spot infantry targets.

If he wants scout copter unlocks he should play on Kharg Island conquest and baserape the enemy copters/jets as they respawn. :)

Tank/APC/Mobile AA unlocks aren't hard to get at all. Sure, more experienced tank drivers will win most fights but you're still death to most infantry.

Long story short, the only thing he needs to unlock is knowledge.

Demize posted a list of upcoming (might not be next patch) weapon/attachment changes on Reddit. Lots of significant ones.

I'm working on a retweak of the accessories in the game currently, as I feel the player is limited in choice due to a few accessories being the clear winners in almost all categories. While this unfortunately means nerfing those that are over used, the goal here is to focus on improving the under performing and under used attachments. Additionally it is the intention for an unmodified weapon to offer the best balance of Recoil, Accuracy, and Stealth. Right now this is preliminary, I've already asked for feedback on different attachments, and there's several good threads here and on Battlelog that discuss the weapons. Again, I'm not promising this will go live, and I'm not promising there will be an update, I'm looking for feedback and a discussion.
Thanks, Alan "Demize99" Kertz

Foregrip
The Foregrip is for players who who are in close combat and highly mobile fighting situations. It reduces the horizontal recoil forces that make maintaining a consistant aim on target difficult, however it makes aimed shots more difficult.
+34% reduction in horizontal recoil (adjust based on gun)
-20% penalty to base accuracy when aimed

Rationale: The Foregrip is quite powerful on weapons with high amounts of horizontal recoil, and is generally the goto attachment for everyone using Assault Rifles and Carbines. Currently it has no downside, which makes it a pure bonus upgrade and is a no brainer. Adjusting the foregrip on a per gun basis will prevent the foregrip from over powering some guns, and also means it doesn't need to be globally nerfed into oblivion. For example, 50% of the FAMAS's recoil is 0.3deg, while 50% of the G3A3's recoil is only 0.1deg. A global 0.1deg might work better, generally it will need to be on a per gun basis. The 20% penalty to aimed fire is about equal to a single shot fired on a Carbine.

Bipod
The Bipod is for Players who wish to setup a position and hold it against the enemy, or make long range shots effectively. When deployed recoil and dispersion are substantially reduced and scope sway is eliminated (except under suppression).
+Reduction in horizontal and vertical recoil (% depends on gun type)
+Reduction in dispersion (% depends on gun type/ammo type)
-Has to be setup to get the benefit

Rationale: The Bipod is underused, has a large penalty of needing to be stationary, yet today doesn't offer enough benefits on Carbines and Assault Rifles to be worth using. A buff of the bipod for these, and perhaps even LMG weapons is likely necessary.

Suppressor
The Suppressor is for players who are mostly focused on Stealth. It uses low velocity rounds, which means better stealth at the cost of reduced range. The Suppressor adds bulk to a weapon due to its size, making firing from the hip more difficult, though a high quality Suppressor provides a small aimed accuracy bonus and reduces the muzzle rise when firing.

+Does not appear on minimap when firing.
+Reduces sound and visual muzzle signature
-Reduced range for both min and max, damage stays the same.
-50% penalty to base accuracy from the hip
+25% bonus to base accuracy when aimed
+10% reduced vertical recoil

Rationale: Today the Suppressor's main penalty is the slower bullet speed, the current 34% penalty to hip fire is almost ignore-able at any range you would hip fire, and with the upcoming buff to aim speed (time to accurate when aiming) the downside needs to be larger. Additionally, the damage over range is only actually applied for LMGs and ARs, removing it and replacing it with a reduced to range makes this more consistent for all weapon types and focuses it more on close range (For reference, today an AR kills with 5 rounds at 40m and drops off to 7 shots, with a suppressor this would be 25m, but beyond 25m the damage would be a flat 6 shots.) Today the Suppressor also gives a 50% bonus to aimed accuracy, which is the same as the heavy barrel, but without the additional recoil. In fact the suppressor reduces vertical recoil by 10%, an amount which is essentially negligible, but is just one more reason to use the suppressor instead of other accessories. Reducing this bonus makes sense, and allows the suppressor to offset the foregrip penalty, while not being as good as the heavy barrel. This is of course over all a nerf but hopefully a minor one to what is essentially not an overpowered, just over used/general purpose, accessory.

Heavy Barrel
The Heavy Barrel is for players who are focused on Accurate Aimed fire. It uses high velocity rounds, which means the bullet drop is reduced and the max range of the weapon is increased at the cost of an increase in auto fire dispersion. The Heavy Barrel adds bulk to a weapon due to its weight, making firing from the hip more difficult, though it gives a substantial increase in aimed accuracy bonus.

+Increased maximum range, damage stays the same.
-25% increased dispersion per shot
+50% bonus to base accuracy when aimed
-25% penalty to base accuracy from the hip

Rationale: The Heavy Barrel gets used decently often today, though I think mostly because it's available quite a bit earlier than the Suppressor for Assault Rifles and Carbines. Frankly, the penalty today to recoil, as well as a penalty to deviation, makes the aimed accuracy increase useless, especially since the Suppressor has the accuracy bonus as well. So, let's pull the recoil penalty off this baby entirely, keep the auto fire accuracy penalty to keep it focused on small bursts of accurate aimed fire, and finally, push the maximum range of the rounds out a bit. This will give the Heavy Barrel better performance in medium range by extending the 5 shots to kill window of a 556 or 545 AR from 40 to 65m. Past 65m, the damage would be the same. This is a rather large buff.

Flash Suppressor
The Flash Suppressor is for players who want some additional Stealth, without the range and accuracy penalties of a Suppressor. It works as a recoil compensator, reducing recoil, though it adds a slight bit of bulk making firing from the hip more difficult.

+Reduces visual muzzle signature
+20% reduced vertical recoil
-20% penalty to base accuracy from the hip

Rationale: The Flash Suppressor is underwhelming generally. While it hides the muzzle flash it doesn't hide you on the minimap. I considered allowing it to hide on the minimap, but then it begins to just be a Suppressor without the aim bonus and range penalties. I want it to be something different. By allowing the Flash Suppressor to work as a recoil Compensator, the FS becomes a middle ground between the Suppressor and Heavy Barrel. If you're otherwise happy with the range, damage, and accuracy of your weapon, then the FS should be a nice buff to manageable recoil, without a whole lot of penalty. This is also a large buff.

Target Pointer
The Target Pointer is for players who want to run and gun from the hip. The laser is visible, making the user more visibile to other combatants and thus less Stealthy.

-Visible Laser
+Laser can dazzle opponents
+33% increase in base accuracy from the hip

Rationale: The Target Pointer works well for its role, and generally feels like it doesn't need to be changed.

So, what do you think?
PS, PATRON2007, if you're on Reddit, quit knife stalking me plx.

clip

I was gifted BF3 for Xmas, normal edition without Karkand.

Is there any way to get Karkand other than ponying up the $15?

Hmm seems like I might actually use the other slots now. Supressors seems like a good choice..

You haven't been? Foregrip + suppressor is basically the best bang for your buck combo right now. These changes seem a lot more balanced, at least on paper, and give definite positives and negatives to each.

AndyD

aka andydumi
You haven't been? Foregrip + suppressor is basically the best bang for your buck combo right now. These changes seem a lot more balanced, at least on paper, and give definite positives and negatives to each.

Yep. Right now foregrip is king. After the changes it seems there will be more meaningful choices based on play style.

Deadly

I only attach the foregrip and leave the other slot empty. I used to use the supressor but it was mostly because I love the sound of silenced weapons. Then I realized it reduced damage abit too much to my taste so I removed it.

Top Bottom