• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

I only attach the foregrip and leave the other slot empty. I used to use the supressor but it was mostly because I love the sound of silenced weapons. Then I realized it reduced damage abit too much to my taste so I removed it.

In most cases, the suppressor added 1 more bullet required to kill, at range, but also decreased vertical recoil and increased ADS accuracy, which weighed out the DMG loss, IMO. Suppressor, right now, has several perks given by both the heavy barrel and flash suppressor, in addition to it's own perks.

CrankyJay

Banned
Any way we can petition Demize/DICE to give a greater bonus for SOFLAM users? Not enough people use it and enticing people with a bigger bonus may help.

It sort of sucks that you only get target designation points if you're controlling the soflam live and you only get the 60 points if the target stays painted all the way up until the javelin hits its target, and not from the end result.

I'm starting to feel the same way. For like the past week straight, it's SUPERCHOPPAS just killing everyone left and right-stingers won't work because both the pilot and gunner have flares-if you put SOFLAM's up no one uses Javelins and/or the chopper justs comes up and destroys your SOFLAM. Might be time to play Skyrim for a while, or Skyward Sword. I'm having less and less fun lately with the game.

Choppers need a huge nerf. Last night I was gunning for a viper... I got like 20+ kills, easily, on Wake. Fucking ridiculous.

Deadly

In most cases, the suppressor added 1 more bullet required to kill, at range, but also decreased vertical recoil and increased ADS accuracy, which weighed out the DMG loss, IMO. Suppressor, right now, has several perks given by both the heavy barrel and flash suppressor, in addition to it's own perks.
I agree on paper that sounds like nothing right? "1 more bullet" but in-game it seems to feel like so much more hahaha.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The only people who need to "do something about choppers" are players, not the developers. So many lazy people complaining about force multipliers that have near infinite counters.

Play on infantry only servers if you can't handle force multipliers.

I think DICE is barking up the wrong tree when it comes to attachments. People who understand the mentality of the people who play these games know that you can't balance every thing such that the community will take advantage of that variety. There will be a consensus on optimal loadout, even if the numbers only give it a .000001 advantage, on paper.

All you do by nerfing the current optimal config is get people to nominate a new optimal config. You're basically just chasing your tail.

The only people who need to "do something about choppers" are players, not the developers. So many lazy people complaining about force multipliers that have near infinite counters.

It really is just a matter of using teamwork. The problem is that a lot of players don't feel an impetus/reward to do so.

I was REALLY hoping the "Assignments" would be dynamic missions. So if a chopper has gotten a kill streak/5+ kills in a row, you could assign optional missions:

-Give a mission to Recon players to set up a SOFLAM
-Give a mission to Engy players to use AA rocket launcher
-Give a mission to Engy players to use Jav in conjunction with SOFLAM
-Give a mission to a player near Mobile AA to get in and take it out
-Give a mission to a CITV station to paint the chopper
-Etc.

Extra rewards/bonuses would be awarded for completing these.

I think DICE is barking up the wrong tree when it comes to attachments. People who understand the mentality of the people who play these games know that you can't balance every thing such that the community will take advantage of that variety. There will be a consensus on optimal loadout, even if the numbers only give it a .000001 advantage, on paper.

All you do by nerfing the current optimal config is get people to nominate a new optimal config. You're basically just chasing your tail.

I don't think that's necessarily the case here. The flash suppressor is useless, heavy barrel is basically useless (even Demize says that it's used fairly often, but only because most players use it until the suppressor), foregrip is almost always used instead of bipod, and suppressor has way too many positives associated with it. I think these changes could make some more interesting combinations/choices.

iam220

Balance is not a binary thing, you can't achieve perfect balance but you can certainly achieve better balance and by the looks of these changes they're doing just that. Ideally you don't want an optimal config that works best in just about every situation with just about every gun, right now we have exactly that with the foregrip and suppressor. Hopefully these changes will at least force people to diversify their addons based on gun/playstyle a little more than what is seen now.

It hides you on the mini-map when you shoot, that's kind of a big deal. That's really the ONLY advantage it needs to make it a viable addon.

CrankyJay

Banned
He also wants to have a "naked" gun be viable, by making the attachments specializations not upgrades. Also helps new people out.

I like that idea Anton, kind of like Homefront (only good idea in that game :p). It would be cool if it was assigned to a specific player(s), but most people are idiots and it would never get done that way.

I think some things need to be kept as pure upgrades with no balance considerations.

I wish there was a way in game to call in a kit swap or something without suiciding...or have someone bring you a gun or something.

Deployment areas should have weapons caches where you can swap for this purpose or re-up on ammo.

He also wants to have a "naked" gun be viable, by making the attachments specializations not upgrades. Also helps new people out.

This too. I like it.

I like that idea Anton, kind of like Homefront (only good idea in that game :p). It would be cool if it was assigned to a specific player(s), but most people are idiots and it would never get done that way.

Yup, Homefront was a waste of potential, and Section 8 Prejudice did assignments pretty well. It's a shame they haven't caught on.

VariantX

It really is just a matter of using teamwork. The problem is that a lot of players don't feel an impetus/reward to do so.

I was REALLY hoping the "Assignments" would be dynamic missions. So if a chopper has gotten a kill streak/5+ kills in a row, you could assign optional missions:

-Give a mission to Recon players to set up a SOFLAM
-Give a mission to Engy players to use AA rocket launcher
-Give a mission to Engy players to use Jav in conjunction with SOFLAM
-Give a mission to a player near Mobile AA to get in and take it out
-Give a mission to a CITV station to paint the chopper
-Etc.

Extra rewards/bonuses would be awarded for completing these.

I don't think that's necessarily the case here. The flash suppressor is useless, heavy barrel is basically useless (even Demize says that it's used fairly often, but only because most players use it until the suppressor), foregrip is almost always used instead of bipod, and suppressor has way too many positives associated with it. I think these changes could make some more interesting combinations/choices.

I really hope this happens in a future update. Definately would encourage more coodination between teams/squads even in games with randoms.

Wthermans

Banned
I'm all for this.

I'd like to see them do something to counter choppers too.

Choppers have enough counters. Use teamwork. A single player should not be able to take down a skilled chopper crew.

Apparently neutralizing a chopper that's owning so you don't get killed by it anymore isn't enough of a reward for today's ADD playerbase.

Love that the devs don't even realize the biggest con of the Bipod. The fact that it will deploy itself even if you aren't anywhere close to something it can setup on. Nothing is more frustrating than being a good 2-3 feet from a wall, try to ADS at a target only to be pulled to the wall and have my bipod setup. If you want people to use the attachment, put the damn deploy action on a separate key (you know just like how you can turn flashlights/laser sights on/off).

Apparently neutralizing a chopper that's owning so you don't get killed by it anymore isn't enough of a reward for today's ADD playerbase.

Hell, this is a problem in most major MP games.

Take MW2 for example. So many people on GAF complained about "OMG OVERPOWERED KILLSTREAKS," even though all but one could be taken out by a SINGLE person. People are just too goddamn lazy and selfish to do anything themselves, but that doesn't stop them from constantly bitching about it online and in-game. So often in MW2 you would see scrubs repeatedly get killed by Harriers instead of switching to a Stinger class and destroying it. It's unbelievable.

Spl1nter

I find that 3 GAF players is the tipping point for making a 64 player server imbalanced. Cleary game is broken, please balance DICE.

Orlandu84

The game needs a real tool to differentiate hackers from good players. My friend keeps getting banned left and right. A server warned him that he had a too high KPD, kill per death. I mean seriously?

I actually experience my first hack today while playing BF3. I cannot remember the server, but someone was killing me from across the map through three different walls. It was the Metro Conquest Map. I was at the Russian base whereas the kill cam showered my attacker near the stairwell in the Metro Station by point B. After I died three times, I quit the map. Several people noted the same thing happening to them. I really hope they develop better protocols for countering hacks soon.

1000 tick server?

ul9HK.jpg

300 ticket.

Deadly

I actually experience my first hack today while playing BF3. I cannot remember the server, but someone was killing me from across the map through three different walls. It was the Metro Conquest Map. I was at the Russian base whereas the kill cam showered my attacker near the stairwell in the Metro Station by point B. After I died three times, I quit the map. Several people noted the same thing happening to them. I really hope they develop better protocols for countering hacks soon.
I think hacks right now are blatantly obvious. If not he's just a good player.

Admins.

Got this for Christmas for my 360 and have been having a lot of fun in MP. I skipped BC2 but it's good to see quite a few improvements have been made from BC1.

Only thing I dislike is the sheer number of morons and scrubs out there which definitely hasn't changed from BC1. There's hardly any fucking teamwork. I chuck medkits and ammo crates out all over the place, yet when I'm not support hardly anyone else does the same (really wish they had ammo crates on the map itself).

When you have a good team, the game really is fantastic. I just wish that happened more often.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just had a couple thoughts to share:

I know a lot of people are unhappy with the game, but man, the core gameplay, even after 60 hours, is so good. I've never played a military shooter that "felt" better. I fucking love the animations and controls. I love vaulting over obstacles and leaping into prone seamlessly. The gunplay is so smooth and it feels so good to kill an enemy. Yes, the game has some issues and an annoying lack of certain features, but at the end of the day I'm not thinking about any of those things when I'm huddled together with my team around a capture point trying to survive an onslaught of enemy fire with explosions and shit everywhere rocking the screen.

Hell, the gunplay is so good that maps like Grand Bazaar and Seine Crossing are some of my favorites purely because the infranty combat really shines in those.

It's sad the game's been shitted on so much because I really think it's as solid as a shooter of its type can be.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Why the hell can't I see the assignments on the battlelog? It's loading forever.

And SQDM sucks ass. I want my L85A2. :(

There are some quick SQDM games. 2 kill end of round. 8-12 people total. So you can go through rounds like crazy, a round every 2 minutes or so. Makes getting 5 wins a breeze because you can do it in 20 minutes.

Divius

I'm such an awesome gunner to have in the viper/havoc. Had a game today where I was gunning with some decent pilots, and we tore shit up. feelsgoodman.jpg

100% this^

The squad I roll with has most everything unlocked across all the vehicles and classes and we have no problems dealing with any situation the game may throw at us. Most of the ppl complaining don't understand that you and your squad have to adapt and change your tactics based on the situation, instead they continue to try to jam the square peg into the round hole and let the frustration mount.

I think the idea here is to see a wider variety of attachments used versus appeasing user complaints. I'd imagine the data they've collected since the games release has dictated that only a small select few attachment/weapon combos are used on a regular basis while the rest go largely ignored.

Its good to see Ketrz giving out more details on how the mechanics work. For me , the better understanding I have of how everything works, based on the situation I'm able to appropriately adjust my tactics and come out ahead and the game is more fun because of it.

Top Bottom