• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Ironically it's because it's on the PS3 that voice chat doesn't work. BF3 was supposed to on the PC as the main focus. Then EA had them shift it to focus on consoles within the last year before release so now nothing works.
I don't really understand the reasoning there. Frostbite 2 was designed with all platforms in mind so they must have always intended their Frostbite 2 games (like BF3) to be multiplatform.

If you're going to release a PS3 online game, you need to have working comms. It's pretty simple. It's kind of ridiculous that BF3 on PS3 will never have working comms.

We try the regular quickmatch, the server browser, joining a designated squad if we all get separated, etc. It really just appears to be random luck when it works. Of course it gets worse when you're trying to join as an actual 4 person squad...hell even 2 is bad enough.
I don't seem to have any problems on the squad front since they finally added the ability to join an empty squad. We don't try and join games as a four man squad because there are never four open spaces on Australian servers. Instead we just jump on an Aussie DICE server (the DICE servers have queuing, the EA ones don't) and anyone who can't get in just joins the queue. Once we're in we just join a new empty squad and we all get in the same squad that way. If a random joins it before we're all in, the squad leader can just remove them from the squad and set it to private. The only issue is that occasionally we won't all be on the same team straight away and will have to wait for a spot to open up to get onto the same team. Using the XMB 'Join' option helps there (as it bypasses the 'server balance' checks).

I can't see many ways that DICE can improve the squad system to help with those small issues. The best solution would be adding more servers for Australia ;)

Bob White

There's a new patch coming? Also, I'm not in the know on these things, but, wtf is up with not being able to knife people using the mortar?

There's a new patch coming? Also, I'm not in the know on these things, but, wtf is up with not being able to knife people using the mortar?

One of the mythbusters vids said that it couldn't be done, but later backtracked and showed that it could be done, it was just incredibly finicky. They walked in very slow circles around the mortar with the knife out and (eventually) were able to get a knife kill. But I've never been able to do that myself, not matter how long I took trying it.

EDIT: Sorry if this has already been posted, but taking DICE/EA dev dogtags: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBsUYZh3OQE&hd=1

One of the mythbusters vids said that it couldn't be done, but later backtracked and showed that it could be done, it was just incredibly finicky. They walked in very slow circles around the mortar with the knife out and (eventually) were able to get a knife kill. But I've never been able to do that myself, not matter how long I took trying it.

EDIT: Sorry if this has already been posted, but taking DICE/EA dev dogtags: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBsUYZh3OQE&hd=1

does it get better or more interesting after the first few kills?

Is this a thing? I assumed I was doing something wrong. I've missed a few knife kills now, and just thought they'd made it more difficult. Mortarers, guys crouched, etc. Come up behind them and the button press does nothing. And is it true that you only take tags if the other person is prone?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is this a thing? I assumed I was doing something wrong. I've missed a few knife kills now, and just thought they'd made it more difficult. Mortarers, guys crouched, etc. Come up behind them and the button press does nothing. And is it true that you only take tags if the other person is prone?

No. You only take tags if you assassinate/Halo-behind-them knife and or knife them while prone. Prone isn't a requirement for it, since you still get the tags during the knife animation.

Bob White

While we're on knifing, has dice ever talked about the bullshit recharge time in between using the knife after a kill animation? Like, this has to be a glitch, right?

Also, I should have subscribed to this thread ages ago.

While we're on knifing, has dice ever talked about the bullshit recharge time in between using the knife after a kill animation? Like, this has to be a glitch, right?

Also, I should have subscribed to this thread ages ago.

Recharge time? I've seen a few vids where people get knifed one after another. Sounds like a bug.

Divius

Today on Kharg I managed to steal the enemy's Little Bird (the Russian one, Z-11W) after the pilot landed to fix it and I kept it running for 80% of the game while me and my Little Bird brotha were tearing shit up. fun!

Daigoro

is there a consensus on the best load out for attack chopper pilot/gunner?

anyone feel like posting their setup and how gunner perks should enhance the one equipped by the pilot, etc?

my next unlock is the ECM jammer. im doing great as gunner and getting better as pilot. all i want to do is fly lately...

anyone feel like posting their setup and how gunner perks should enhance the one equipped by the pilot, etc?

my next unlock is the ECM jammer. im doing great as gunner and getting better as pilot. all i want to do is fly lately...

I feel dirty for using thermal optics instead of flares, but if my fucking team (of randoms) would spot more, we wouldn't have this problem.

Daigoro

ive been using it too since i unlocked it. lots of kills!

whats up with the damn missiles that the gunner unlocks, the ones that only target ground vehicles? i cant seem to do shit with those at all.

Daigoro

maybe its just the pilots im flying with then. its tough to get a lock on. i was wondering if the painter helped with that. awesome. i need my pilot buddy to unlock laser guide asap.

ive been using laser painter as pilot since i unlocked it as well. its awesome.

Tawpgun

IR Flares.

Unstoppable unless someone Lasers you.

Dipswitch

So......I haven't had a chance to play this online for a few months. But every so often, I get emails from EA's gunclub site telling me I've unlocked a badge. Most of them seemed to correspond to stuff I did prior to my hiatus and my Battlelog profile doesn't show any signs of recent activity.

So I'm not sure if that Gun club site is porked or if someone is tampering with my accounts. Anyone else have this problem?

AndyD

aka andydumi

The mortar guys can be knifed but only at a direct angle behind. And tags only come when knifing from behind, not side, not front.

Wthermans

Banned

Driver: Guided Rockets, ECM Jammer, Heatseekers
Gunner: Autoloader, IR Flares, TV Missile

You can handle pretty much anything on the field. Gunner handles all AA locks, Driver uses ECM when people are trying to lock anytime it's up. Combined with a pilot that knows how to use buildings to block lock-ons and avoid strafing jets, there's not much you can't handle.

paskowitz

The SV98. L96 and M98B should do 100% damage if they hit center mass (chest). And by center I mean, the center of the chest. Not the sides, not the lower abdominal, not the shoulders, the dead center. Everywhere else should stay the same. This obviously requires better hit detection and at longer ranges with lag, this is probably hard to calculate but anything closer than 400m should not be a problem. To balance this, the recoil when firing the 3 high caliber snipers should be increased when firing from the standing and crouched positions w/o using the bipod. The lower caliber rifles should be easier to use while standing and crouching (less sway and longer hold breath). If you are a mobile sniper who engages at close to medium range, low caliber is for you. If you like to engage targets at long range, high caliber is for you.

Second, there should be a sniper scope with a range finder. Given the bullet drop it can be very hard to tell exactly how far away a target is. If I could memorize the bullet drop for each level of distance sniping at longer ranges would be much more effective. Right now it is just fire and pray it hits. To balance the scope you would have to use the spot function to get the range. If the target moves, you have to hit select again to get the updated range. If more balancing is needed, then just increase the scope glint.

It would also cool if would could choose multiple munitions for snipers. Laser sights and flash lights really have no place on sniper rifles. Instead of a suppressor for the BMGs we should be able to choose ammo types.

- Standard round (medium range and drop, but max stopping power 1 hit kill at center mass up to 250m. 60% reduction after that. It would also do less damage through hard surfaces)
- Armor piercing (goes through thicker surfaces with great efficiency but has less overall stopping power at longer ranges, 50 damage at <200m. 25% reduction after that)
- Roufous (sp?) round (like flachet round, except it sprays after it goes through a surface. It cannot go through thick surfaces like the AP round. Same draw back as armor piercing. Bullet spray damage depends on how close the target is to the spray. Damage spread acts like a shotgun. Only useful for engaging targets in a build or behind cover. See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JK2P70K4c94#t=323s)
- Long range round (holds accuracy, direction and has less drop for a longer ranges 500m+ but is not a 1 hit kill at any range and has less suppressive effect).

Obviously headshots are always i hit kills. I think this would give greater strategy to sniper load outs.There are many times I wish I could engage vehicles effectively. If I have the AP round and I hit the engine block I should temporarily slow the vehicle down (what happens when you get to low vehicle health). Obviously this would not effect LAVs or tanks. The only problem I see is if these rounds are only available for BMGs then what happens to lower caliber sniper rifles? They would have to have some sort of other edge.

scogoth

The SV98. L96 and M98B should do 100% damage if they hit center mass (chest). And by center I mean, the center of the chest. Not the sides, not the lower abdominal, not the shoulders, the dead center. Everywhere else should stay the same. This obviously requires better hit detection and at longer ranges with lag, this is probably hard to calculate but anything closer than 400m should not be a problem. To balance this, the recoil when firing the 3 high caliber snipers should be increased when firing from the standing and crouched positions w/o using the bipod. The lower caliber rifles should be easier to use while standing and crouching (less sway and longer hold breath). If you are a mobile sniper who engages at close to medium range, low caliber is for you. If you like to engage targets at long range, high caliber is for you.

Second, there should be a sniper scope with a range finder. Given the bullet drop it can be very hard to tell exactly how far away a target is. If I could memorize the bullet drop for each level of distance sniping at longer ranges would be much more effective. Right now it is just fire and pray it hits. To balance the scope you would have to use the spot function to get the range. If the target moves, you have to hit select again to get the updated range. If more balancing is needed, then just increase the scope glint.

It would also cool if would could choose multiple munitions for snipers. Laser sights and flash lights really have no place on sniper rifles. Instead of a suppressor for the BMGs we should be able to choose ammo types.

- Standard round (medium range and drop, but max stopping power 1 hit kill at center mass up to 250m. 60% reduction after that. It would also do less damage through hard surfaces)
- Armor piercing (goes through thicker surfaces with great efficiency but has less overall stopping power at longer ranges, 50 damage at <200m. 25% reduction after that)
- Roufous (sp?) round (like flachet round, except it sprays after it goes through a surface. It cannot go through thick surfaces like the AP round. Same draw back as armor piercing. Bullet spray damage depends on how close the target is to the spray. Damage spread acts like a shotgun. Only useful for engaging targets in a build or behind cover. See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JK2P70K4c94#t=323s)
- Long range round (holds accuracy, direction and has less drop for a longer ranges 500m+ but is not a 1 hit kill at any range and has less suppressive effect).

Obviously headshots are always i hit kills. I think this would give greater strategy to sniper load outs.There are many times I wish I could engage vehicles effectively. If I have the AP round and I hit the engine block I should temporarily slow the vehicle down (what happens when you get to low vehicle health). Obviously this would not effect LAVs or tanks. The only problem I see is if these rounds are only available for BMGs then what happens to lower caliber sniper rifles? They would have to have some sort of other edge.

You could just go buy a real rifle.

You can use the crosshair markers to gauge distance, just like real life.

And the next balance patch will introduce chest OHK's w/sniper rifles.

People other than me thinking they have the right to talk about sniper rifles lol
Sniping all together gets a giant lol from me. CQB all the way. Hell my longest headshot is barely over 100 meters. Get busy up close or don't get at all is the way I do things. Some snipers can be deadly though and I can imagine you are one of them splinter.

Daigoro

Driver: Guided Rockets, ECM Jammer, Heatseekers
Gunner: Autoloader, IR Flares, TV Missile

You can handle pretty much anything on the field. Gunner handles all AA locks, Driver uses ECM when people are trying to lock anytime it's up. Combined with a pilot that knows how to use buildings to block lock-ons and avoid strafing jets, there's not much you can't handle.

you have to activate the ECM manually?

how is it different than flares?

paskowitz

Sniping all together gets a giant lol from me. CQB all the way. Hell my longest headshot is barely over 100 meters. Get busy up close or don't get at all is the way I do things. Some snipers can be deadly though and I can imagine you are one of them splinter.

I think you need to look at yourself as a recon instead of a sniper. Put a motion sensor in a high traffic low visibility area. Put a spawn beacon down near an objective but out of sight. SOFLAM vehicles for Javelins and other vehicles. Spot people. Shoot people. Shooting is really the last thing to think about.

you have to activate the ECM manually?

how is it different than flares?
Yes, you activate ECM just like Flares.

Flares
- Can temporarily break a lock.
- Can cause heatseeking weapons to miss, even AFTER they're fired.
- NOT effective against laser-designated weapons (SOFLAM + Javelin or Guided Shell).

ECM
- Effective against laser designation, but only if used BEFORE they fire.
- NOT effective against heatseekers that have already been fired.

So basically ECM can be used to prevent ALL locks, but you can't wait to see if they actually fire before you use it. Sometimes this means you waste your ECM when you weren't in danger.

Flares you can wait until you hear a missile tracking you - if they don't fire you can save it.

ECM > Flares (unless no one on the other team is using laser designators)

At least, that's how I understand it.

Zeppelin

SOFLAM is still broken as fuck (slow to aim, jumps between targets, designated bonuses are broken etc) . Any word on when it will get fixed? Any word of future patches at all?

njean777

You now what I fucking hate about this game, one team seems to always be 10x better then the other. To the point where the games are never even close. I am on pc btw.

kai3345

Banned
Is there a way to adjust individual HUD element placement on 360?

Idk whose genius fucking idea it was to put that big shitty countdown clock for taking a point right where your reticle is.

Daigoro

Yes, you activate ECM just like Flares.

Flares
- Can cause heatseeking weapons to miss, even AFTER they're fired.
- NOT effective against laser-designated weapons (SOFLAM + Javelin or Guided Shell).

ECM
- Effective against laser designation, but only if used BEFORE they fire.
- NOT effective against heatseekers that have already been fired.

So basically ECM can be used to prevent ALL locks, but you can't wait to see if they actually fire before you use it. Sometimes this means you waste your ECM when you weren't in danger.

Flares you can wait until you hear a missile tracking you - if they don't fire you can save it.

ECM > Flares (unless no one on the other team is using laser designators)

At least, that's how I understand it.

thanks.

Does anybody know if the Below Radar attachment for aircraft is automatically equipped just like the CITV station in the tank? I didn't see anywhere to equip it so I am assuming it is.

Hyunkel6

Are the online passes/dlcs region-locked? If I buy the limited edition in the US, will the codes work in Canada?

Edit: Yup, they do work in CA. :)

p4g6T.png

Top Bottom