• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Hyunkel6

I'm gonna jump into the MP for the first time as soon as I get home. Any tips on the most noob friendly loadouts and game modes?

JJBro One

I have 580 sli, overclocked my 2500k to 4.5ghz, 8gb of ram, and I STILL get dips in framerate, sometimes (especially on the B2K maps) I'll dip into the 40s! I have the latest drivers and everything, I don't expect to dip below 60 for one second. Anybody know whats going on?

scogoth

I have 580 sli, overclocked my 2500k to 4.5ghz, 8gb of ram, and I STILL get dips in framerate, sometimes (especially on the B2K maps) I'll dip into the 40s! I have the latest drivers and everything, I don't expect to dip below 60 for one second. Anybody know whats going on?

Are you using absurd settings?

th3dude

zh1nt0 is teasing spectator mode on his twitter. Really? Spectator mode? A feature that has been in every FPS since 'insert FPS here' is your big reveal today?

Wow.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm gonna jump into the MP for the first time as soon as I get home. Any tips on the most noob friendly loadouts and game modes?

Engineer is the best all-round class. Equip the RPG or SMAW so you can deal with tanks and other ground vehicles and use the repair torch if you plan on riding in vehicles(which you'll of course want to do often).

As for best noob-friendly mode, just pick anything other than Team Deathmatch, which just kinda sucks. None of the modes are necessarily harder than the other and each have positive and negatives. Rush and Conquest are the usual go-to modes. If you're new to Battlefield, or objective-type modes, then Rush is nice because there's never any confusion as to what your primary concern is. There's two points and you either need to capture them or defend them. Rinse and repeat. Games can be a bit one-sided, but you'll get a feel for the gameplay. Conquest is more open you're a bit more free to figure things out on your own, but its sometimes difficult to figure out the most effective choice of action in any given situation when you first start out. Stay and defend a point, or go out and capture other ones? But which other ones should I go to? Whats the best way to get there? Etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Theater mode.. believe!

Oh how I wish. :(

That or the big reveal is *gasp* Console photo taking mode in BC2 is working now just like BC1's worked for the entire two years BC2 has been released! :D!

Smokey

Using the recon class is so good if you're a legit sniper. Take somebody out. Throw up MAV to help team. Switch to pistol w/ silencer for close quarters combat.

Feelsgoodman

Wthermans

Banned
I'm glad to see DICE is finally listening to the competitive community, but Spectate/BattleRecorder really should have been in at launch and it's pretty laughable it's taken DICE this long to get it out.

Zeppelin

Using the recon class is so good if you're a legit sniper. Take somebody out. Throw up MAV to help team. Switch to pistol w/ silencer for close quarters combat.

Feelsgoodman

I don't know... I find it to be a pretty weird class. Ironically it's the only one I've got a service medal for yet though, so I've sunken quite some time into it. The MAV is cool when people actually use the information you provide them with but more often than one would think people seem totally oblivious to their mini map (I've used it enough to get the big brother dog tag). The SOFLAM would be cool if it wasn't fucked up beyond belief.

I think my biggest beef with the recon class though is that you have to commit to something a lot more than the other classes and how fucked you are when your plan fails. If you're gonna go long range it takes quite some set up time before you're in a good position and even then it's kind of hard to score because kills are quite far in between. SOFLAMing as it is now pretty much requires you to control it manually if you want to score decently from it and it also requires you risking your life setting it up and once it's destroyed you need to find a support dude willing to drop ammo and good luck with that.

TheSeks

I think my biggest beef with the recon class though is that you have to commit to something a lot more than the other classes and how fucked you are when your plan fails. If you're gonna go long range it takes quite some set up time before you're in a good position and even then it's kind of hard to score because kills are quite far in between. SOFLAMing as it is now pretty much requires you to control it manually if you want to score decently from it and it also requires you risking your life setting it up and once it's destroyed you need to find a support dude willing to drop ammo and good luck with that.

That's my issue with the SOFLAM, too much of a sitting duck and not "automated" enough for me to bother with it. Even with Faceless being a Javalin person on my team it's too much work to set up to even help him take out air. In addition to having too short a long range at times.

Zeppelin

That's my issue with the SOFLAM, too much of a sitting duck and not "automated" enough for me to bother with it. Even with Faceless being a Javalin person on my team it's too much work to set up to even help him take out air. In addition to having too short a long range at times.

Yup. I'd like to get a real SOFLAM/Javelin squad going sometime though. One SOFLAM, two Javelins and an ammo box. Get up on the mountain on Kharg and the other team wouldn't have an ounce of metal in the air.

dont flame me, but does the pc version work with a 360 controller? I forumites complaining about support for it during the SP game, but I only care about MP.

scogoth

Which is what 90% of recons DON'T do.

Your logic is misleading. 90% of the player base suck and don't play well, what's it matter if they are recon or not.

There is a way to get better.

To Quote Menelaus

5DrtH.jpg

And of course the Mumble server that everyone is too good to use: NeoGAF Community Mumble Server chi.eoreality.net:64762

Az

If some of my GAF crew even wondered where I was at. I moved temporarly to Denver and gave my PS3 away to my neighbor. They can't afford one and I felt bad for the kid during Christmas.

Overdoziz

Banned
Two games in a row half my audio was just gone. No ambient sound and also no noise when I'm locking or getting locked on. >_> Hate that shit.

Is nobody playing the Back to Karkand maps on PC, or are my filters broken?

I'm seeing a total of 2 Sharqi servers with a decent amount of people playing. Really guys?

scogoth

Is nobody playing the Back to Karkand maps on PC, or are my filters broken?

I'm seeing a total of 2 Sharqi servers with a decent amount of people playing. Really guys?

Yep, cause most run mixed vanilla b2k so the chance of them being on Sharqi when your looking is slim. Just search for all b2k and play the rotation until Sharqi comes around.

Also a lot of servers have a map vote function and Sharqis not very popular.

Daigoro

@LonoB Calm down now. It´s been a wish and an ambition of mine since way back to have spectator mode in our future games.

wow. how ambitious! Spectator Mode!

what will the clever folks at DICE think of next? im tingling with anticipation.

TheSeks

CoD mode..... Oh wait, they did that one already.

I still want my screenshot of a tank on the ridge near the "Welcome to Chile!" sign of Arica Harbor. I still dunno how they got a tank up there. Damn BC2 console screenshot mode still being broken to this day!

Seanspeed

Banned
Your logic is misleading. 90% of the player base suck and don't play well, what's it matter if they are recon or not.

There is a way to get better.

To Quote Menelaus

Ya know, I'd try and join up with some 360 players, but Battlefield GAF in general just seems so elite and so condescending to people who aren't fully knowledgeable about everything in the game. I've found the game to be a pretty steep learning curve and I'm hardly good enough to be considered an advantageous person to have on their team. You guys certainly dont make it inviting. The will to play as a team doesn't necessarily make you a good team player. What makes you a good team player is skill and ability to do your role in the team effectively. I'm pretty sure if I was on y'alls squad, I'd get yelled at a lot or if not, there'd at least be a lot of eye-rolling for me failing to keep up my end of the bargain.

Maybe by the next Battlefield, I'll be experienced enough to feel confident of playing with you guys, but as of now, I'm more comfortable just huffing it on my own, even if I'm not learning quite as much.

TheSeks

You need to get yelled at to get better, dude. If you're too much of a crybaby to do that: Call of Duty door where thousands of text pop-ups that proclaim how awesome you are is that way->

Just sayin'.

In any case so long as you're PTFOing and not completely dying over and over and over while attempting to PTFO you shouldn't be a problem.

Seanspeed

Banned
You need to get yelled at to get better, dude. If you're too much of a crybaby to do that: Call of Duty door where thousands of text pop-ups that proclaim how awesome you are is that way->

Just sayin'.

In any case so long as you're PTFOing and not completely dying over and over and over while attempting to PTFO you shouldn't be a problem.

I dont even know what PTFO is. :/

And I can understand getting yelled at if I was playing a competitive sport in real-life. This is just a video game, though. Hell, I play sim racers, and we are far more accomodating and helpful of newcomers than I've seen here, where everyone seems far too impatient with people who dont already the know the game inside-and-out.

Defunkled

Please excuse my ignorance if this has been asked before, but is it hard for anyone else to get a full game going on the PS3 version? I haven't been able to get into a full 12 vs. 12 game for over two weeks. All of my games are constantly one sided because one team is 2-3 people short. Are people just not playing this game on the PS3 anymore? I really wish I had a nice PC so I could migrate over to that community.

redhot_

Please excuse my ignorance if this has been asked before, but is it hard for anyone else to get a full game going on the PS3 version? I haven't been able to get into a full 12 vs. 12 game for over two weeks. All of my games are constantly one sided because one team is 2-3 people short. Are people just not playing this game on the PS3 anymore? I really wish I had a nice PC so I could migrate over to that community.

Just the poop match making. I get it alot, it's like the room just dies and no one ever joins in.

scogoth

How many flares do choppers have? I unloaded 3 stingers on one with no success. Is there a more effective way to destroy them?

One for the pilot, one for the gunner. If they work as a team a single stinger will never take them out. Play with squad mates and soflam/javelin or multiple stingers.

Seanspeed

Banned
How many flares do choppers have? I unloaded 3 stingers on one with no success. Is there a more effective way to destroy them?

Unlimited. They recharge just as quickly as it takes to reload your launcher. If the pilot is alone and you're the only one shooting at it, you wont take it down unless they make a mistake and launch the flares too early. If they're alone and there's two of you shooting at it, you can take it down. If they've got a gunner that also has flares, you're gonna struggle.

Kind of sucks sometimes. A good pilot/gunner combo is VERY hard to take down.

Top Bottom