• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Zeppelin

I kind of feel the ECM jammer is a bit overpowered as it is. I was playing lots of games on the Karkand maps last night and it was near impossible to shoot down the heli crews when they were jamming. I don't see why it should be able to break locks or even deflect a missile in flight. Is there any reason to use flares at all?

Also, the stationary AA needs a buff. Did they nerf it in December? Because I remember it ripping planes that flew over low to shreds. Yesterday I couldn't kill anything with it but a couple of choppers that were basically hovering over our base.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I kind of feel the ECM jammer is a bit overpowered as it is. I was playing lots of games on the Karkand maps last night and it was near impossible to shoot down the heli crews when they were jamming. I don't see why it should be able to break locks or even deflect a missile in flight. Is there any reason to use flares at all?

Also, the stationary AA needs a buff. Did they nerf it in December? Because I remember it ripping planes that flew over low to shreds. Yesterday I couldn't kill anything with it but a couple of choppers that were basically hovering over our base.

I think part of it is transport choppers load up with engineers that continuously repair. So a chopper with repairmen inside is virtually indestructible. I dont know if they should nerf inside repairing or what, but it can withstand missiles, plane guns, rpgs, everything.

Zeppelin

I think part of it is transport choppers load up with engineers that continuously repair. So a chopper with repairmen inside is virtually indestructible. I dont know if they should nerf inside repairing or what, but it can withstand missiles, plane guns, rpgs, everything.

Yeah... transport choppers are though to take out. Anyone else notices how you won't get the diamond on them if you're rolling the Javelin and one gets painted? It will lock on if you try to but there's no way of telling it has been painted until you try to do so.

I don't think the ECM jammer deflects in-flight missiles. The gunner probably popped flares or something. The problem is how shitty the soflam is. Once you find a location, it takes 10 seconds to place it. By that time the chopper killed you and your soflam. I wish there were a binocular version you could use instead.

I'm pretty sure it deflected my Stingers yesterday. Didn't see any flares getting popped any of the times. Don't know about lazer guided stuff though.

And yeah, the SOFLAM sucks. I'm not bothering with it again until they've fixed it.

It feels like jets and helis are invulnerable from shoulder-fired missiles now. Even with a couple of engineers working in tandem, the pilot + gunner flare recharge is faster than missile reloading.

Zeppelin

Must have been lag or something else going on.

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/ECM_Jammer

EDIT: It should also be noted that the ECM will spoof air-to-air and surface-to-air heat-seeking missles as long as the missle travels through the chaff.

So if the missile travels through the cloud it will spoof it. That's probably what happened. Usually it doesn't travel through it though.

Yeah, that was probably it. I don't know... I still find it overpowered. That or the Stinger/IGLA being underpowered. As hard as it is even getting a hit with heat seekers today I think they should be OHKs.

Also, this blew my mind:

To tell if you are being locked by Laser Designation or a SAM/AAM, look at the color of the 'LOCK' on your HUD. 'LOCK' will be orange if you are laser-painted and red if you are being tracked by a heat-seeker.

scogoth

It feels like jets and helis are invulnerable from shoulder-fired missiles now. Even with a couple of engineers working in tandem, the pilot + gunner flare recharge is faster than missile reloading.

Thats ok cause any laser lock on weapon and other jets will kill air.

An American map pack would be amazing, but It would suck if they didn't have epic destruction. You know would be my ideal map? Snow covered New York City.

Make dinner. Get like 3k points sitting in a vehicle with 0 kills. Ahhh gaf squads :p

Any time I can play with GAF there seems to be exactly four guys there--a full squad. Sucks for spawning, but still a lot of fun to tag along. On foot I'm a typically a solid 8th place, but in a vehicle I can get 1st or 2nd once in a while. When you guys are having an off night I suppose. =)

Gaming with GAF makes me regret my choice of handle here, as I play everywhere else as HDgaming42.

Not sure what I was thinking...

I'd apply again with that handle, but I seem to recall that's ban-worthy. It's not like I've managed to shake "junior" yet anyway... =)

Any time I can play with GAF there seems to be exactly four guys there--a full squad. Sucks for spawning, but still a lot of fun to tag along. On foot I'm a typically a solid 8th place, but in a vehicle I can get 1st or 2nd once in a while. When you guys are having an off night I suppose. =)

Gaming with GAF makes me regret my choice of handle here, as I play everywhere else as HDgaming42.

Not sure what I was thinking...

I'd apply again with that handle, but I seem to recall that's ban-worthy. It's not like I've managed to shake "junior" yet anyway... =)

Just PM a mod or Evilore and ask for a name change.

scogoth

I thought this was banworthy? I created my name when I was like 13 and entered by habit when I signed up here.

Also, does AusGaf have a BF3 contingent (PC)?

Not that I'm aware of, someone talked about creating an AusGAF platoon on battlelog but not sure if they ever did.

I thought this was banworthy? I created my name when I was like 13 and entered by habit when I signed up here.

Also, does AusGaf have a BF3 contingent (PC)?

having multiple accounts is banworthy.

asking a mod to change your account name isn't, and several people have done it, usually because they want their GAF name to match their name elsewhere, like XBL/PSN

I played around a bit on the fixed AA on Kharg Island Rush yesterday. That thing is ridiculous, it's awesome against infantry and terrible against aircraft. I went 17-0, and the only kill I got on a jet was one that I didn't even destroy, I just disabled it and then blasted the pilot as he was parachuting down. The 16 other kills were on infantry on the far off beach.

DICE managed to get that one completely back to front; it needs to be a lot more powerful against aircraft, and way less effective against infantry.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Is there some bug where loading a server will launch your single player version of the game at times? Happened me a few times tonight o.o''

Dakar

Banned
Put this back in the XBOX after the MW3 maps blew... It's still pretty damngood. There's something refreshing about being able to go MVP my second game back even though I haven't quite nailed down killing again.

Still, I forgot how weird it was that the majority of my non-sniper deaths always seem to result from "headshots".

scogoth

I played around a bit on the fixed AA on Kharg Island Rush yesterday. That thing is ridiculous, it's awesome against infantry and terrible against aircraft. I went 17-0, and the only kill I got on a jet was one that I didn't even destroy, I just disabled it and then blasted the pilot as he was parachuting down. The 16 other kills were on infantry on the far off beach.

DICE managed to get that one completely back to front; it needs to be a lot more powerful against aircraft, and way less effective against infantry.

You are a terrible person. Play the game.

Wthermans

Banned

Which stationary AA were you on? The US stationary can cover over half the map if you have good aim.

The hardest part would be getting a heli alone.

Typically when he wants to solo, one of the guys I play with will take off with him to keep pubbies from getting the gunner and then bail out over a flag. Since we've always got a full squad noone else spawns on him (unless we need a spawn point, in which case he'll drop us whereever we want).

After the last patch the controls for the TV missile suck so bad I am surprised he could hit you. He sounds like a douche though.

DICE certainly nerfed them, but they also fixed the hit detection so you don't have to "bounce" your missiles in front of your target anymore. Not sure why you think he's a douche as he's one of the nicest guys I've played with. Haters gonna hate I guess.

Does everyone turn on 'colorblind support'? Why?

I don't personally do it but it seems like most of the people I've talked to have switched it on. It does give you a better outline of spotted targets though so tracking the targets hitbox is a lot easier for dumbfire weapons.

Sadly, I think that's why the guy plays near-empty "flight-school"-type servers.

This continual rock, paper, scissors thing is something I like about BF3. I got pretty good in a tank, and once I had CITV and rockets, choppers were a breeze.

Then chopper pilots started unlocking ECM, and learned to break locks with buildings/structures/mountains. Now I find it tough to kill a good chopper pilot on Caspian or Operation Firestorm.

I guess the solution is to learn jets? I'm getting better at chopper, but man...jets? *shudder*

Also--how do you freelook like he was doing in that video?

He's usually playing on 64 Conquest Large maps, he just made that video on a 32 Conquest to show what solo TVing looks like. And you are right, a good chopper duo will always fall to a good pilot in a jet. Really the only counter choppers have to a jet is to get as much altitude as possible and try to shoot him down with heatseekers. But all that time in the air focusing on the jet means you can't harass armor/infantry on the ground and you're far more vulnerable to SOFLAMs.

I'll bet that's the music the guy hears in his head while he plays elevata choppa boom boom.

He was telling us that's the music he actually plays while flying. lol

Wthermans

Banned
I was talking about the other guy who kept TV missile-ing Peter.Simpson909's heli in his spawn. Not sure why you thought I was talking about the guy in the video.

My mistake. There wasn't a quoted post and your post came after mine so I figured it was in response to that. :wiggle:

dankir

Can somebody send me a link to the Mw3 vs. BF3 thread? The search function is down and I can't seem to find it. Anybody have it in their subscriptions?

scogoth

Can somebody send me a link to the Mw3 vs. BF3 thread? The search function is down and I can't seem to find it. Anybody have it in their subscriptions?

1t0m.jpg

OG Kush

So do these rank up hacking things work on pc/360? Will they ban you? Sorry if ppl are agaisnt it but I really cant be arsed to play so many hours just for guns etc.

mr_nothin

Banned
So do these rank up hacking things work on pc/360? Will they ban you? Sorry if ppl are agaisnt it but I really cant be arsed to play so many hours just for guns etc.

Stat padding only gets your stats cleared (not banned)
Hacking gets you banned.

I think both should get you banned honestly

Came across this, sorry if it's already been posted (roadkills in a jet):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5IIGXbwN-o&hd=1

You are a terrible person. Play the game.
Not sure if serious.

Which stationary AA were you on? The US stationary can cover over half the map if you have good aim.
The US one (on the carrier). I spawned standing on top of the Viper's rotors and then decided to wander over to the AA because I'd never really used it before.

sweet. thanks bro.
edit: i just realized you're that dude that might bring a blowup doll to that LA gaf meetup, right?
1235644960_50_cent_does_not_approve.gif

Actually 295.11 driver is out, use that instead.

Lol if you read through my post history you'll realize I wasn't serious about the blow-up doll. I have been trolling hard in that thread seeing who would fall for my bs. ;)

Actually 295.11 driver is out, use that instead.

Lol if you read through my post history you'll realize I wasn't serious about the blow-up doll. I have been trolling hard in that thread seeing who would fall for my bs. ;)

link? i can't find it.

im not even going to that meetup, its going to be a total mess with that many people.

if i go, im bring my fellow nba gaf buddies. we would get another table. get drunk and mock y'all.

You're better than that.

In other news, exciting changes for the next BF3 patch.

There have been many bits of information surrounding the upcoming Battlefield 3 patch, and we’ve taken to task to compile all the expected fixes and tweaks that DICE has confirmed will make their way into the new patch, which should be released in early February. The list of confirmed additions:
Commo Rose 2.0: a complete overhaul of the “Q”-button communications interface, with new commands, voice overs, and more.
Weapon specific accessory tweaks: accessories such as silencers, foregrips etc. will now be tweaked on a per weapon basis and not globally. All accessories are expected to be tweaked in this patch. For more, see a full list of accessory tweaks.
A fix for MAV riding will be applied
Random “Bad Luck” deaths will be fixed across all platforms.
PlayStation 3 users will see a VOIP fix
Drivers will now get 50 points for “vehicle assist kills”. Pilot assist points will be increased as well.
Sniper rifles will get increased accuracy after aiming-down with Red Dot or Holo sights.
And a few unconfirmed patch notes, but issues/features that DICE are looking into:
The USAS-12 with Frag rounds will be balanced (unconfirmed: DICE has said they are looking into it).
The resupply speed on the M320 grenade launcher might get increased, according to DICE.
Horn sounds will be added to Humvees and other transport vehicles.
Fall damage is being looked into as well.

Yessss! Finally pilots will get the points they deserve while flying helis and driving LAV's/tanks.

Wthermans

Banned
Wow those patch notes are VERY lackluster. Almost 5 months since the game came out and that's it? Laughable. Where are the fixes for random AA lockons? Why spend so much time on MAV riding when it only affects 1 map? No balance tweaks? I am disappoint DICE. It's sad that shit like Commorose 2.0 has taken 5 months when it's something that was STANDARD in BF2/BC2 and it's taken them almost half a year to correct. Piss poor development DICE, piss poor.

Spl1nter

Wow those patch notes are VERY lackluster. Almost 5 months since the game came out and that's it? Laughable. Where are the fixes for random AA lockons? Why spend so much time on MAV riding when it only affects 1 map? No balance tweaks? I am disappoint DICE.

Those arent patch notes. Its speculation based on things mentioned on twitter

Here is straight from DICE

Battlefield 3 VOIP fix on PS3 slated for February 6th

H Brun | 01.31.12 | 19 comments

As mentioned earlier, we have identified and fixed the VOIP issues on PS3 that some Battlefield 3 players have experienced. This fix will be released in a mandatory update of roughly 20MB that will be released on February 6th. You will be automatically notified of the patch when you start up your game.

Got one of these? Follow the instructions below to ensure the correct setup.
Please note that some VOIP issues on PS3 might be due to incorrect setup of the headset you are using. If you are using the SLEH-00075 Bluetooth Headset, it must be recognized by your PS3 console by connecting it with a USB cable before play. Once connected, you must also enable the HQ Mode for this headset, which can be found on the XMB in the following location:
Settings
->Accessory Settings
->Manage Bluetooth Devices
->Press TRIANGLE on headset
->Information
->High Quality Mode

If you still have issues registering the headset, please go back to Accessory Settings->Manage Bluetooth Devices and delete all registered headsets. Once this is done repeat the above steps.

In other news: You are reading this on the new Battlefield Blog!

Top Bottom