• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

I'm guessing the DLC is going to coincide with their patch to fix up bugs, to make the squad system better, to rebalance all the weapon attachments, NERF THE USAS!

4a4da-Ari_Gold_Get_the_Fuck_Out.gif

Oh no, I STAY!

RS4-

Ugh I haven't played BF3 in over a month. Try to log in today, Origin just continues to hang/crash; the client used to log in within seconds but now it takes a minute or two before it even shows up.

Wtf.

EVIL

Ugh I haven't played BF3 in over a month. Try to log in today, Origin just continues to hang/crash; the client used to log in within seconds but now it takes a minute or two before it even shows up.

Wtf.

I have the same problem, don't know whats up

Spl1nter

origin_EA Origin
We are aware some users are having trouble connecting and we are currently investigating the issue. Thanks for your patience.

Zeppelin

Missiles can switch targets, seems to me like that's what happened. They are heat seeking missiles and you just crossed it's path.

That could be the case. Or it's just broken. I fall from the sky without hearing any locking sound or like in the case of that video just for a short period of time prior to getting hit all the time and I am sure as hell never lucky enough to have one of my heat seekers stray off and kill something I didn't aim on. In fact, they never kill anything nowadays.

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of how useless a lot of the equipment in this game has become. The IGLA/Stinger is useless, AT mines are useless, stationary AA is useless, SOFLAM is useless etc. I wonder if they'll add any more useless stuff in the coming DLC or if maybe they'll render some older stuff useless because crying kids have whined enough.

That could be the case. Or it's just broken. I fall from the sky without hearing any locking sound or like in the case of that video just for a short period of time prior to getting hit all the time and I am sure as hell never lucky enough to have one of my heat seekers stray off and kill something I didn't aim on. In fact, they never kill anything nowadays.

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of how useless a lot of the equipment in this game has become. The IGLA/Stinger is useless, AT mines are useless, stationary AA is useless, SOFLAM is useless etc. I wonder if they'll add any more useless stuff in the coming DLC or if maybe they'll render some older stuff useless because crying kids have whined enough.

Really? Stinger is pretty useful for taking out air vehicles especially if they're trying to fight off other locks. My first time using a stinger I was playing with GAF members and I heard them freaking out on Mumble because they were also having my Stinger set their alerts off and I ended up nailing them because it overwhelmed their flares/ECM. SOFLAM is invaluable for tank drivers like myself who want to nail enemies with guided shell. AT mines are very useful because most people don't check for them and they're a 1 hit kill.

I think your complaints are made out of frustration rather than reason.

Wthermans

Banned
Ok so i decided to start to try and get the hang of jets after being a chopper whore for so long.

WELL... this is what I was faced with all night. Has anyone else experienced this shit at all?
(on PS3 btw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_4Rs5t4LsE

Welcome to the world of flying and the random lock-ons that pilots have to deal with all the time. It happens in choppers too. Why DICE doesn't just make it so that missiles detonate and/or lose the ability to acquire targets once they lose their original target is a mystery to me.

Welcome to the world of flying and the random lock-ons that pilots have to deal with all the time. It happens in choppers too. Why DICE doesn't just make it so that missiles detonate and/or lose the ability to acquire targets once they lose their original target is a mystery to me.

Why would they? It makes sense that it happens and can lead to some Holyshit moments bf is known for. I had some close calls when that happens and it feels awesome when you're fast enough to deploy the flares. If you're not... shit happens. Getting upset over that is like getting upset when you die as an infantry cause something fell on you.

Zeppelin

Really? Stinger is pretty useful for taking out air vehicles especially if they're trying to fight off other locks. My first time using a stinger I was playing with GAF members and I heard them freaking out on Mumble because they were also having my Stinger set their alerts off and I ended up nailing them because it overwhelmed their flares/ECM.

Na, it's useless. Even if you get a hit that will only get you a disable.

SOFLAM is invaluable for tank drivers like myself who want to nail enemies with guided shell.

Yeah, the SOFLAM is great. As long as you're not the one manning it. Getting sick of kids crying "SOFLAM plz!1one" when they're rolling the Javelin and want some easy kills. Manning it doesn't score you properly, it jumps between targets and it fucking SUCKS to control. Of course it's fucking invaluable to someone who only needs to point on an already painted target and click LMB.

AT mines are very useful because most people don't check for them and they're a 1 hit kill.

AT mines have been useless since they added the ability to spot them. If you run them over you're playing it wrong. Just press Q now and a then and they'll pop up on your minimap for you to blow up.

I think your complaints are made out of frustration rather than reason.

Fuck no.

redhot_

Missiles can switch targets, seems to me like that's what happened. They are heat seeking missiles and you just crossed it's path.

Well ya i know there is heat seekers lol, but damn, happened a hand full of times last night.

Thats a good theory of it switching targets though, im actually going to try and do that see if i have any luck. Seems like a good little strategy if it does hahah.

Wthermans

Banned
Why would they? It makes sense that it happens and can lead to some Holyshit moments bf is known for. I had some close calls when that happens and it feels awesome when you're fast enough to deploy the flares. If you're not... shit happens. Getting upset over that is like getting upset when you die as an infantry cause something fell on you.

Because there's no counter to it. And that's not good balance. There is a counter to not having something fall on you. Don't stand under walls that can collapse. Having someone shoot a rocket at a wall I'm beneath and kill me with rubble is a legit tactic. Someone driving over a ledge and crushing me is a legit tactic. Firing a weapon you lock-on to one target with, having your target counter that, then having your shot randomly target a different person you weren't even looking at is not. If it didn't happen all the time it wouldn't be as big of a deal either.

Also, DICE had the same problem in BF2. Zatar was perfect for it and it broke the map. You'd fire your Stinger at a random oil tower, the stinger would circle the tower and then make a beeline for anyone that came inside view distance of it.

Because there's no counter to it. And that's not good balance. There is a counter to not having something fall on you. Don't stand under walls that can collapse. Having someone shoot a rocket at a wall I'm beneath and kill me with rubble is a legit tactic. Someone driving over a ledge and crushing me is a legit tactic. Firing a weapon you lock-on to one target with, having your target counter that, then having your shot randomly target a different person you weren't even looking at is not. If it didn't happen all the time it wouldn't be as big of a deal either.

Oh common, are you serious? Then I can easily say don't fly near places where you can cross a heat seekers path.

Battlefield games are filled with these uncontrollable/accidental situations, it's part of what makes it so great. And you CAN avoid it, the locking sound is the same as when a missile is fired, so you don't have the previous locking sound, you know that it's a lost heat seeker and what is about to happen, deploy flares! Don't have them? Bail out!

And what's this talk about happening all the time? It is extremely rare when it happens. I have over 20 hours in helicopters and over 10 in jet planes and I can probably count with both hands the amount of times that happened.

Also, DICE had the same problem in BF2. Zatar was perfect for it and it broke the map. You'd fire your Stinger at a random oil tower, the stinger would circle the tower and then make a beeline for anyone that came inside view distance of it.
Yeah, now you're just mentioning a bug, that was fixed pretty fast on the next patch, that broke the heat seeking system, but an unintended bug means nothing.

Wthermans

Banned
Oh common, are you serious? Then I can easily say don't fly near places where you can cross a heat seekers path.

Battlefield games are filled with these uncontrollable/accidental situations, it's part of what makes it so great.

And what's this talk about happening all the time? It is extremely rare when it happens. I have over 20 hours in helicopters and over 10 in jet planes and I can probably count with both hands the amount of times that happened.

Yeah, now you're just mentioning a bug, that was fixed pretty fast on the next patch, that broke the heat seeking system, but an unintended bug means nothing.

It's easy not to stand under walls that can fall on you. The number of them are VERY limited. It's more of a problem on Seine crossing than anything. This bug is a problem on every single air map. "BF Moments" are great because you take 5:1 odd risks and can come out on top. There's nothing great about having my missile fly across the map at someone I didn't even look at and kill him. I feel sorry for the guy more than anything because he fell victim to a problem that DICE didn't intend.

I have 60+ hours in jets alone. It happens at least twice every single game.

It's easy not to stand under walls that can fall on you. The number of them are VERY limited. It's more of a problem on Seine crossing than anything. This bug is a problem on every single air map. "BF Moments" are great because you take 5:1 odd risks and can come out on top. There's nothing great about having my missile fly across the map at someone I didn't even look at and kill him. I feel sorry for the guy more than anything because he fell victim to a problem that DICE didn't intend.

I have 60+ hours in jets alone. It happens at least twice every single game.

It's not a bug!

akira28

Yeah, the SOFLAM is great. As long as you're not the one manning it. Getting sick of kids crying "SOFLAM plz!1one" when they're rolling the Javelin and want some easy kills. Manning it doesn't score you properly, it jumps between targets and it fucking SUCKS to control. Of course it's fucking invaluable to someone who only needs to point on an already painted target and click LMB.

I just put a SOFLAM up in a high traffic area and keep moving. It will auto-target. Plus since you can control them from anywhere on the map, when someone asks for it, just pull out your iPad and twirl the thing around a bit. I control it with my joystick so it's a lot faster and easier to hold a lock.

I just put a SOFLAM up in a high traffic area and keep moving. It will auto-target. Plus since you can control them from anywhere on the map, when someone asks for it, just pull out your iPad and twirl the thing around a bit. I control it with my joystick so it's a lot faster and easier to hold a lock.

I feel bad because i often ask for soflams, yet when I put them up they're destroyed in a matter of seconds. I guess I put them in too obvious of places, or on maps with good chopper pilots who spot them a mile away...

i still remember playing the BC2 beta and RPGing a chopper as it passed over and then part of it fell on me and i died. at first i was like "wait... what?" then i realized what happened and i thought it was sooo awesome!

i still remember playing the BC2 beta and RPGing a chopper as it passed over and then part of it fell on me and i died. at first i was like "wait... what?" then i realized what happened and i thought it was sooo awesome!

My first game of Caspian Border in the BF3 beta, I was running in the field going towards A when suddenly a fucking jet crashed in front of me, and I dove down for cover... but the jet kept skidding on the ground towards me and crushed me to death.

So awesome!

Zeppelin

You still won't get designated hit bonuses if you don't control it directly when the target gets hit. Not even when you control it directly will it score you correctly.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
One of us.. one of us.. one of us..

I finally got around to grabbing this the other day but didn't have a chance to play any of it until last night since I've been so busy doing more productive things like creating a fortune, manipulating fire with my urine, and hatching stage 2 of my plan to dominate the world with cybernetic implants. Been banging on the tincan drum for BF1942 for too many years and I loved BF2, so it's great to finally get back and feel the Battlefield after Bad Company 2 being good but not as good as it could have been.

The only unfortunate occasion for myself was seeing a hacker go to town and cause my entire side to not bother to spawn last night, and seeing a different hacker do it again today. No admins were on to deal the punishment so it was quicker to simply leave the server and try again. Still a bit unfortunate and dismal to run in to 2 hackers in 2 playthroughs but kids will be kids for the sake of the scoresheet.

Outside of that I don't have too many qualms with the Battlelog system. I would have preferred a better server interface but it seems to do the job okay regardless. My biggest gripe would still not being able to talk to anyone whenever I want with voice comms; going from my previous lovechild in TF2 to this makes me question the obscurity of it all still. Some servers have mumble but it seems like such a useless and roundabout way to get the job done when we've got games having zero issues about this. Wish it would get patched in some capacity but EA being EA.

But I still love it. Last night was an epic firefight between squads in certain maps, and tonight I had a moment of "this game is great" when a few infantry were penned in and waiting for a tank to come give us a shield to run through and continue. Engineer still seems to be my go-to class, but Assault racks up the points and Support looks really interesting. Recon will probably be the last class I bother to play around with, though I'm thinking that I might be able to adopt a similar playstyle that I did with Sniper in BF1942 so I'll be happy if that is the case.

Blackface

Banned
Quick question. I bought the Russian BF3 shortly after launch. Should not have done this, and won't be doing it again. Major pain in the ass.

IF I buy the english B2K, will it work with the Russian BF3?

akira28

You still won't get designated hit bonuses if you don't control it directly when the target gets hit. Not even when you control it directly will it score you correctly.

Not even concerned with points really. Not unless they gave me more of them. I'm more annoyed when I'm actually bothering to control the thing and no one is using a Javelin or a guided shell or anything. I love walking around as an Engineer with EXPL perk and seeing that red symbol on my screen, I get giddy. It's like Christmas.

dc89

Is Xbox version having maintenance?

When I start the game it says that my user data is corrupt, then it says i've downloaded the DLC again etc.

Then when I go to start a game, it just freezes.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
what else can be done about hackers on pc besides the report profile feature? Ran into a loser named drunkensniper666 who was snapping to everyone with an m98b. He has 19,000kills and 2000deaths pretty fucking pathetic man, what fun is that?

I tend to only play at night and the TOG servers in Australia are really good at that time of the day. Full servers and autobans are handed out if there is any suspicion of 3rd party software fooling around in the game; if a dispute is made then there is always an admin of the server online to talk about it. Pretty sure I joined TOG a while ago but I enjoy being tag less.

Deadly

what else can be done about hackers on pc besides the report profile feature? Ran into a loser named drunkensniper666 who was snapping to everyone with an m98b. He has 19,000kills and 2000deaths pretty fucking pathetic man, what fun is that?
Unless he was blantantly hacking ingame this could still be legit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The New York event where the new DLC is going to be announced is happening right now.

Information should be out very soon, especially since most of it is coming live.

Spl1nter

Seemingly embargoed.

Um... guessing tomorrow.

Guess they will be giving time for publications to write up previews. Makes more sense to do a trailer release for DLC than to slowly disseminate through media anyway. Hopefully tomorrow or Thursday we will find out.

scogoth

I've heard from insiders that the DLC will include a tactical nuke. The flash from the nuke will almost be as bright as the flash light.

Top Bottom