• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

A friend and I joined a round at Bazaar. We spawned into a squad that was UNDER the B flag. You could run around the whole area there, but couldn't shoot or revive anyone. We could, however, capture the flag, which I'm sure was quite confusing for the enemy. We'd take it right out from under them (heh), then back off and lose it, then retake it. Bazaar has been glitchy lately; I've also been joining games and only the starting kits and equipment are available.

My friend took some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmn9OW9hiC4

A friend and I joined a round at Bazaar. We spawned into a squad that was UNDER the B flag. You could run around the whole area there, but couldn't shoot or revive anyone. We could, however, capture the flag, which I'm sure was quite confusing for the enemy. We'd take it right out from under them (heh), then back off and lose it, then retake it. Bazaar has been glitchy lately; I've also been joining games and only the starting kits and equipment are available.

My friend took some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmn9OW9hiC4

<3 DICE

Zeppelin

Fraps? Battlerecorder will slow the game down + it wont be able to run on consoles. I say no, performance over recording for me.

Ehum? How will Battlerecorder slow things down more than Fraps? Instead of writing whole frame buffers to disk you only have to write network traffic to disk. I'm pretty sure consoles would be able to do this as well. Halo does it, no?

Or am I totally missing what Battlerecorder means here..?

shouts

Neo Member
Ehum? How will Battlerecorder slow things down more than Fraps? Instead of writing whole frame buffers to disk you only have to write network traffic to disk. I'm pretty sure consoles would be able to do this as well. Halo does it, no?

Or am I totally missing what Battlerecorder means here..?

How it worked in BF2, if I remember correctly, was that some servers had Battlerecorder enabled and those servers were generally more sluggish for everyone playing there. Not only for the one that wishes to record=which is the case if you choose to use fraps.

Halo does it, Cod does it. Thing is that you have to sacrifice things to being able to use the recorder. Halo has smaller maps, much less destruction, less players.

Same thing with Black Ops and MW3, the reason why they look inferior to MW2 is because of the theater mode.

Wthermans

Banned
How it worked in BF2, if I remember correctly, was that some servers had Battlerecorder enabled and those servers were generally more sluggish for everyone playing there. Not only for the one that wishes to record=which is the case if you choose to use fraps.

Halo does it, Cod does it. Thing is that you have to sacrifice things to being able to use the recorder. Halo has smaller maps, much less destruction, less players.

Same thing with Black Ops and MW3, the reason why they look inferior to MW2 is because of the theater mode.

You don't remember correctly. BR is just a demo system. It was not a server side setting. BR was a BAD demo system as well. Only allowed third person view and the 3D HUD would get stuck all the time during playback. The only reason people want it is because there are no native demo options in BF3 (BC2 never had it either) and it's causing the competitive community to fizzle out.

Zeppelin

The only thing of the stuff you listed that matters is player count and that one is only 32 on consoles anyway, no? You only have to store stuff that gets sent over the network. E.g. player x fired an RPG at time t with some pitch and some roll. When you playback the demo it can figure out where that rocket went and if it ended up destroying a building or killing a dude or whatever.

Divius

I feel like I finally got the hang of flying jets. Regular gun against air, Rocket Pods against ground seems to be working fine for me. Flying is still not my favorite thing to do, but when we constantly have crappy pilots, our mobile AA is sitting in our base and the enemy team is dominating the skies.. someone has to do it.

--

I also dislike the AN94 very much. It was my favorite weapon in BFBC2: (time: 44h 39m / kills: 2 180 / accuracy: 15.96%) but after hearing that it sucked in BF3 I never really tried it. Just played a few rounds with it and I don't like the feel of it. Too bad.

shouts

Neo Member
The only thing of the stuff you listed that matters is player count and that one is only 32 on consoles anyway, no? You only have to store stuff that gets sent over the network. E.g. player x fired an RPG at time t with some pitch and some roll. When you playback the demo it can figure out where that rocket went and if it ended up destroying a building or killing a dude or whatever.

24 on consles (bf3).. Well the majority of the environmental destruction is dynamic, so those things must also be registered over the network. And there is alot to be registered in Battlefield.

The thing that makes me the most uncertain is that they released the game without a theater mode. Halo and Cod was both designed and built with a recorder from the start, BF3 wasn't.

Zeppelin

24 on consles (bf3).. Well the majority of the environmental destruction is dynamic, so those things must also be registered over the network. And there is alot to be registered in Battlefield.

The thing that makes me the most uncertain is that they released the game without a theater mode. Halo and Cod was both designed and built with a recorder from the start, BF3 wasn't.

But you only need to register what caused the destruction e.g. dude firing a RPG. Then the game can calculate where that RPG hits the wall and the following destruction when you playback the demo. Where individual pieces of debris end up is not something that is communicated over the network, it's calculated in the clients (well, I don't know that for sure but that's my guess).

And I'm sure DICE already have something along the lines of a recorder for internal use. They had to cut a lot of corners to get the game out before MW3 hit.

shouts

Neo Member
But you only need to register what caused the destruction e.g. dude firing a RPG. Then the game can calculate where that RPG hits the wall and the following destruction when you playback the demo. Where individual pieces of debris end up is not something that is communicated over the network, it's calculated in the clients (well, I don't know that for sure but that's my guess).

And I'm sure DICE already have something along the lines of a recorder for internal use. They had to cut a lot of corners to get the game out before MW3 hit.

We'll see, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much (at least for the consoles).
A recorder would be nice though, then I could re-watch all the bs that happens on this game. Like shooting a guy while he's sprinting with 20 bullets, and then somehow he manages to stop sprinting, aim in his sights, kill me, and get away with 35% health. Or dying instantly by headshots from carbines.
Sure it was on a 120 ping servers but that is absolute crap netcode or whatever

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't see 100's of posts talking about the DLC so I assume its still a mystery?

Oh God I hope its not so iOS game either, major disappointment if true.

scogoth

Unfortunately that probably is the big announcement =[

EA your are a bunch if cunts

Edit: so played the iOS bf3, I don't want to sound understated here but it's a piece of shit.

in the server browser there's the cellphone style 1-5 bars on servers listings

Thanks for the response! It would be nice to have a in game ping bar just so I can tell halfway into a match if someone suddenly goes on youtube in my house or something. :/

Jet combat is awesome in this game btw, was getting to grips with the helicopters aswell. I love aerial combat in games.

Mazdarati

Neo Member
A few days ago I saw on the opposing team a guy with no rank next to his name. No chevrons, colonel #, etc. I happen to knife him during the game and got his tag which was a gold eagle with 5 stars.
I looked up his stats and his rank was 145(!) and his stats looked legit.
I guess after you hit 100, you have no rank next to your name...

So, what's the highest rank you've seen so far?

This is on PC btw...

Edit: I looked up on the bf3 stats leader board and it looks like 145 is the max rank.

scogoth

A few days ago I saw on the opposing team a guy with no rank next to his name. No chevrons, colonel #, etc. I happen to knife him during the game and got his tag which was a gold eagle with 5 stars.
I looked up his stats and his rank was 145(!) and his stats looked legit.
I guess after you hit 100, you have no rank next to your name...

So, what's the highest rank you've seen so far?

This is on PC btw...

Edit: I looked up on the bf3 stats leader board and it looks like 145 is the max rank.

Yeah there are people at 145 but most of them play only metro and/or have mutiple people playing on their account so there hours are ridiculous. You only need 24 500 000 points.

I've started playing on Hardcore servers mainly in the last couple of days. It's a whole different game - very enjoyable!

I also enjoy hardcore, even if many of BF3-GAF don't. I love it because it really compliments my style of play. Its definitely refreshing to mix it up.

Woorloog

Banned
How does HC mode differ from the standard mode in BF3? (Note i'm 360)
I haven't ventured there as i fear it is a sniper fest... standard mode has too many (shitty) snipers already...
What i'd pay for a Battlefield-like game without snipers...

How does HC mode differ from the standard mode in BF3? (Note i'm 360)
I haven't ventured there as i fear it is a sniper fest... standard mode has too many (shitty) snipers already...
What i'd pay for a Battlefield-like game without snipers...

You have 60% health compared to the normal 100%, no hud, no minimap, no spotting. When you get a shot on someone, it's much easier to finish the kill... and to get killed. It makes you think a lot smarter about your position, route, and cover, even moreso than the regular mode.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
You have 60% health compared to the normal 100%, no hud, no minimap, no spotting. When you get a shot on someone, it's much easier to finish the kill... and to get killed. It makes you think a lot smarter about your position, route, and cover, even moreso than the regular mode.

It really sounds like hardcore mode would breathe more life into this game for me. I'm so tired of getting the drop on someone only to get killed.

Really though since I'm not that great I'd probably end up just getting killed much more often. :lol

Seanspeed

Banned

Didn't they keep minimap up? I thought I remember it being there, but its been a while.

Arucardo

Didn't they keep minimap up? I thought I remember it being there, but its been a while.

Yes, minimap is still there and you can see spotted/firing enemies on it.

I only play hardcore, did the same for BC2. So much more enjoyable for me. Imo it doesn't make sense that when you start shooting at someone he still has a chance to turn around and kill you. This rarely if ever happens in HC and if someone flanks you or someone sees you before you see them you're dead. I feel the amount of bullets needed for a kill in regular is ridiculous.

akira28

The IOS game can't be the new announcement, because they announced it's creation last year. It wouldn't exactly be "news" news. And I couldn't see them being so tone deaf as to not see how this would piss peop...ok, yeah this could totally be what they were mentioning. They better slap some DLC maps together quick, or there will be blood.

shouts

Neo Member
Yes, minimap is still there and you can see spotted/firing enemies on it.

I only play hardcore, did the same for BC2. So much more enjoyable for me. Imo it doesn't make sense that when you start shooting at someone he still has a chance to turn around and kill you. This rarely if ever happens in HC and if someone flanks you or someone sees you before you see them you're dead. I feel the amount of bullets needed for a kill in regular is ridiculous.

More health often correlates with having to be more skilled to kill another player. The ONLY good thing in HC is the lack of a killcam. The killcam is plain unnecessary and really makes it pointless playing stealthy while being on the offense and trying to cap flags.

Why should another player automatically know your exact position just because you killed him without his awareness? Seems like a thing they put in to help newer players to understand wha's going on.

Top Bottom