• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

lionelhutz

Has anyone had a problem on the 360 version of matchmaking splitting up a party? I played with a friend last night and when I selected the quick match function it would put us on different teams. Is there something I have to enable so we stay in the squad and on the same team? I don't recall this being an issue in BFBC2.

Has anyone had a problem on the 360 version of matchmaking splitting up a party? I played with a friend last night and when I selected the quick match function it would put us on different teams. Is there something I have to enable so we stay in the squad and on the same team? I don't recall this being an issue in BFBC2.

it wasn't a problem in BC2, but in BF3, that happens all the time. squad of 4 try to join, 2 on 1 team in different squads, 1 on the other team, 1 doesn't even get in the game. it's safer to just use the server browser and join a game with like 8 free slots instead.

Virzeth

zh1nt0 said:
We are releasing a minor PC update that aims to improve general performance and stability and solve some reproducible crash issues. The update also includes support for the upcoming Intel “Ivy Bridge” product line and performance improvements on AMD Radeon 7xxx series graphics cards.

List of issues fixed:

Support for Intel’s new Ivy Bridge product line (as yet unreleased)

Fixes for two reproducible client crashes:
Operation Firestorm- Conquest Large – Fixed a client crash when users spawn in certain vehicles.

Canals - Rush – Fixed a client crash at the 2nd set of mcoms if the player drives a vehicle into the vicinity of the exploding rocket battery.

AMD Radeon 7xxx series performance improvements

This minor fix is releasing on the 14th February, 8AM UT. This download will be via Origin.

We would also like to inform the community that we have several ongoing developments with regards to balance and gameplay, performance, stability and the overall feature set that will be announced in the coming weeks.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654778817797165/

In other news... damn, I miss this game. Gonna play tonight. >:3

Dakar

Banned
Going back to BF3 after playing MW3 for two months is a cruel task. I had two service stars with the M249 before leaving for MW3 and now I'm just worthless with the damn thing. I just don't know how to handle recoil anymore.

On the plus side, the FAMAS seems broke as fuck. Taking notes from Black Ops?

Marvie_3

Banned

Yeah, this happens to me all the time.

butts

I just started in on this after taking a hiatus since late November... is there a helicopter perk that makes them immune to lockon? I tracked a helicopter at close range for a solid minute straight and not once would it lock on.

This game got really fucking frustrating, almost more so than MW3 which is a huge accomplishment

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I just started in on this after taking a hiatus since late November... is there a helicopter perk that makes them immune to lockon? I tracked a helicopter at close range for a solid minute straight and not once would it lock on.

This game got really fucking frustrating, almost more so than MW3 which is a huge accomplishment
With a stinger? All they have is flares and ECM, AFAIK.

If it's air to air and they have below radar unlocked then you will not be able to lock on if they are low enough.

mr_nothin

Banned

I've been on hiatus for about that long too. I've been playing every now and then lately. Heli's have a "below radar" perk that allows them not to be locked on (by heatseekers...ie: heli's and jets) to if they are flying close to the ground.

butts

With a stinger? All they have is flares and ECM, AFAIK.

Yea stinger, he didn't pop any flares this entire time and was slowly moving across our spawn raping us into oblivion.

I want to love this game because it is fundamentally all there but I haven't been in a close good game in the last 2 days.

^^^^ Yea must have been

>>>> Or not I guess? This was ground to air.

Why do the air vehicles get defensive upgrades, but the anti-air weapons don't get an offensive buff? They are pretty much invincible nowadays, unless 3 engineers are working in concert to take them down. And even then, they have the advantage to climb high or fly off the map.

And WTF is up with the USAS-12? Those frag rounds are insane. Is this a real thing? Because I'm a little skeptical that a shotgun should be able to take the facade off a building.

shouts

Neo Member
Why do the air vehicles get defensive upgrades, but the anti-air weapons don't get an offensive buff? They are pretty much invincible nowadays, unless 3 engineers are working in concert to take them down. And even then, they have the advantage to climb high or fly off the map.

Because it a damn hassle to fly the attack helicopter without defensive measures. Getting locked on every 10-20 seconds. Plus the jets that gun strafe you very easily. The balance is fine, or very close to being fine. The only thing that isnt fine is the transport chopper which is almost invincible with people repairing it from the inside.

But I have been told that it's a completely different thing on consoles. One chopper vs 12 people can be difficult to manage. Do you play on PC or PS3/360?

Wthermans

Banned

And WTF is up with the USAS-12? Those frag rounds are insane. Is this a real thing? Because I'm a little skeptical that a shotgun should be able to take the facade off a building.

Zoom Optics for AA is an offensive buff. Use it cause the standard gun can take down air power from across the map.

Could be Below Radar (although Helis have to be lower than 25 meters above sea level--and higher terrain does NOT increase the maximum height they can fly). Also if the Pilot or Gunner has Stealth equipped, it makes it take longer for AA lock-on to acquire. If it's a good pilot they'll use terrain and buildings to constantly break lock.

If you think it's OP, try flying a heli and doing it. You'll see it's not as easy as people make it out to be. Most people that complain about airpower need to actually try flying before they comment on the balance.

akira28

I know they have a fully automatic grenade launcher at least. I dunno if the USAS12 is used with explosive shotgun shells, but it's possible. They have shotgun bolo rounds that use lead balls and razor wire that could chop your limbs of or decapitate you, even. So who knows.

Marvie_3

Banned

http://www.defensereview.com/1_31_2004/FRAG 12.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cif9uynzRWU

Their effect is way overblown in BF3

Zeppelin

I think Below Rader only affects Heatseekers.

It only affects air-to-air heat seekers. Stealth however increases lock-on difficulty even from the ground.

I've stopped bothering with the IGLA/Stinger though. Hopefully they'll give it a buff in the future, because right now it's useless.

butts

It only affects air-to-air heat seekers. Stealth however increases lock-on difficulty even from the ground.

I've stopped bothering with the IGLA/Stinger though. Hopefully they'll give it a buff in the future, because right now it's useless.

Yea see that's the thing I've played against stealth before and it does increase the lock on time, but this was beyond ridiculous and no, they were not using terrain at all to break the lock.

The only really broken thing I guess is team balance on most servers, but that isn't something they can patch.

scogoth

Its called team work. If one stinger/igla could take out an air vehicle nobody would ever fly. You need 2/3 people to take them down.

Zeppelin

Its called team work. If one stinger/igla could take out an air vehicle nobody would ever fly. You need 2/3 people to take them down.

Then you might as well just SOFLAM it and Javelin it. Only two people needed and you're pretty much guaranteed to get the kill if you manage to launch the Javelin. Much more versatile too. Stingers/IGLAs are useless.

U2NUMB

Then you might as well just SOFLAM it and Javelin it. Only two people needed and you're pretty much guaranteed to get the kill if you manage to launch the Javelin. Much more versatile too. Stingers/IGLAs are useless.

Every night my group has a guy who is great with SOFLAM and at least 2 of us knocking crap out of the air and ground. It does help having a group who communicate and load out as needed on a map.

Zeppelin

Every night my group has a guy who is great with SOFLAM and at least 2 of us knocking crap out of the air and ground. It does help having a group who communicate and load out as needed on a map.

Yup. If you've got one guy with the SOFLAM at a good spot, two guys with Javelins and one guy supporting them with ammo your squad can pretty much decide the outcome of a game on their own.

Wthermans

Banned

Works against ground based AA as well. I use it all the time to avoid Mobile AA locks.

I agree. Vehicles have always been meant to be force multipliers in BF. Airpower even moreso. It's not easy to fly much less be effective at it and you should be rewarded for taking the time to learn those mechanics. Any idiot can equip a Stinger and point it at a Heli/Jet.

That said, fast vehicle respawn servers really fuck with the balance of airpower since there's no penalty for a pilot to take unnecessary risks.

Maybe I'm bias because I spent HOURS learning to fly in BF1942/DC and it's nice to be rewarded with learning the intricacies of the flight models as the series has progressed. DICE has done a LOT to make airpower more difficult to fly over the years. I miss being able to circle strafe my Cobra on it's nose in BFV and do barrel rolls in the choppers from BF2.

Works against ground based AA as well. I use it all the time to avoid Mobile AA locks.

I agree. Vehicles have always been meant to be force multipliers in BF. Airpower even moreso. It's not easy to fly much less be effective at it and you should be rewarded for taking the time to learn those mechanics. Any idiot can equip a Stinger and point it at a Heli/Jet.

That said, fast vehicle respawn servers really fuck with the balance of airpower since there's no penalty for a pilot to take unnecessary risks.

Maybe I'm bias because I spent HOURS learning to fly in BF1942/DC and it's nice to be rewarded with learning the intricacies of the flight models as the series has progressed. DICE has done a LOT to make airpower more difficult to fly over the years. I miss being able to circle strafe my Cobra on it's nose in BFV and do barrel rolls in the choppers from BF2.

the 45 seconds it is by default already seems too fast, i can't imagine it being any faster

scogoth

Ugh, really need to unlock that fucking SOFLAM.
How do you not have it yet? Even if you never play recon it takes almost nothingto unlock it.

Yeah instant respawn does ruin it, that's why I don't play those servers. Though the heli in bf3 vanilla takes wayyyyyyyy to long to respawn.

To add to this, any ground-based AA is a great deterrent. If I'm forced to dump flares, I'm out of action for a good 15-20 seconds waiting for my flares to recharge. Stingers aren't as useless as some people think.

Zeppelin

To add to this, any ground-based AA is a great deterrent. If I'm forced to dump flares, I'm out of action for a good 15-20 seconds waiting for my flares to recharge. Stingers aren't as useless as some people think.

They are still useless compared to the Javelin. There's literally no point in choosing Stingers over the Javelin. They're less versatile and you can't kill anything on your own with them anyway. If I could force you to pop flares with a Stinger that only means that you would have been fucked against a Javelin.

scogoth

They are still useless compared to the Javelin. There's literally no point in choosing Stingers over the Javelin. They're less versatile and you can't kill anything on your own with them anyway. If I could force you to pop flares with a Stinger that only means that you would have been fucked against a Javelin.

Jets can outrun javs and if nobody used stingers then every pilot would just go ECM so people going stinger makes javs work.

I was shot down by a Javelin once . . . before I learned the secret. Ever since, Javelins are a joke. I'm more worried about stingers and ground AA vehicles. And I'm a pro.

Frag rounds are real alright. Fear them and their glory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g77sLmw-UcY

How do you not have it yet? Even if you never play recon it takes almost nothing to unlock it.

I don't even have T-UGS unlocked yet, I don't think I ever will either, let alone the SOFLAM. Lol.

lionelhutz

Is the 360 version loading extremely slow for anyone else? I've never had a problem until a few days ago. After launching the game it will sit at a black screen then go into a very choppy EA/Dice graphic before the start menu. It probably took about a minute to load the main menu today. I also noticed slowdown between rounds. By the time I was in the next match the round already started and in some instances a station was already captured. Could this be a HDD failing? I haven't noticed any issues in Skyrim or MW3 lately.

I also had guns not appearing for 15-20 seconds after a respawn. I have no idea what's going on.

Biff

I was shot down by a Javelin once . . . before I learned the secret. Ever since, Javelins are a joke. I'm more worried about stingers and ground AA vehicles. And I'm a pro.

Please share, I get killed by javelins more than any other anti-vehicle weapon in this game.

Top Bottom