• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Any newb tips to jets/helis starting off? Nothing unlocked and I get owned quickly lol

I tried joining a newb server but got kicked for being lvl 33.

scogoth

Any newb tips to jets/helis starting off? Nothing unlocked and I get owned quickly lol

I tried joining a newb server but got kicked for being lvl 33.

Join the gaf server and practice flying, its always empty. I can set it to all jet maps and instant respawn if you want.

Corran Horn

Join the gaf server and practice flying, its always empty. I can set it to all jet maps and instant respawn if you want.

maybe ill do it later after sc2 gaf night.

I was kinda flying all right with a 360 controller but then when I was on the ground, that controller was vibrating like fucking crazy.

mr_nothin

Banned
Found a REALLY great server for BF2 vets that cant quite enjoy servers with either NORMAL/HARDCORE settings. The server is just starting off (it's launch was today) and I would really like to see it thrive.

It's a mix of both Hardcore & Normal settings:
100% Health
3D Vehicle Cam
No 3D Spotting (only when you have crosshairs on target)
No Health Regen
No Killcam
No Fast Vehicle Respawn
Friendly Fire ON

The Server:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf...F2-Style-No-Stupid-Rules-MapVote-2xTix-FF-on/

lionelhutz

Is the 360 version loading extremely slow for anyone else? I've never had a problem until a few days ago. After launching the game it will sit at a black screen then go into a very choppy EA/Dice graphic before the start menu. It probably took about a minute to load the main menu today. I also noticed slowdown between rounds. By the time I was in the next match the round already started and in some instances a station was already captured. Could this be a HDD failing? I haven't noticed any issues in Skyrim or MW3 lately.

I'm going to try a reinstall of the game. I found this link on how to get the best results. Is this still true? Right now I have the game and texture pack installed.

http://mp1st.com/2011/11/19/battlefield-3-360-disc-install-seems-to-interfere-with-hd-texture-pack/

For now it is suggested that curious 360 users try uninstalling everything from the hard drive and only re-instal the HD texture pack when prompted to upon first inserting the disc.

doctor3d outlines the steps he’s taken:
Delete Disc 1
Delete Disc 2
Delete Update
Delete HD Textures
Clear System Cache
Restart Xbox
Launch BF3
Install Update when Prompted
Install HD Textures
Play

This makes NO sense. What was announced by EA last week that would have overshadowed new BF3 content? I am fairly sure anything announced for BF3 would overshadow any other EA announcement at this time.

They really have no idea how to take advantage of what they did accomplish in the fall.

it only makes sense to marketing people who think information needs to be scheduled perfectly spread apart and evenly every few weeks via a drip.

Wthermans

Banned
Please share, I get killed by javelins more than any other anti-vehicle weapon in this game.

Since Javelins give no lock-on tone, you have to assume that any standard lock which lasts for more than 1-2 seconds means a Javelin has been fired at you. At this point, you have to take evasive action. Hit your afterburner and head for the out of bounds line. Once you get the out of bounds warning, turn back to the battlefield while keeping your afterburners on (this is entirely counter-intuitive as you normally need to slow your speed to 300 knots to maintain the tightest turning radius). During the turn, you'll probably hear an explosion in the vicinity. If you do that's the javelin missing.

You really shouldn't get locked onto Javelins though unless you're just dogfighting over the heat of the battlefield.

You can also avoid AA missiles using a similar tactic. All you have to do is gain as much altitude as you can then start a defensive spiral and the AA will miss you most of the time.

Spiral_dive_with_instruction_diagram.jpg

To anyone that is serious about learning to fly, I recommend reading over some basic dogfighting maneuvers. Not everything translates one to one with BF3, but it's got a decent flight model and against an equal pilot, there are a few maneuvers that are worth utilizing. Of course keeping your turn radius tight (use the G counter in the lower left of the HUD) and keeping your speed as close to 300 knots as possible are the most important things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers

Hit afterburner and run away. Jets are faster than the rocket.

This is close.

The Jav's are actually slightly faster than the planes, but they have one major downfall that might possibly be a bug. They can't hit targets flying more faster than 400. If you keep your speed up, the missile will get close to you, fly circles around your plane, then explode harmlessly. What I usually do is actually turn towards the missiles if I'm flying faster than 400 so I can "get rid" of them as fast as possible, since they basically have unlimited fuel.

Don't be afraid of Jav's, they actually suck compared to stingers when going against planes. Hope that helps!

scogoth

This is close.

The Jav's are actually slightly faster than the planes, but they have one major downfall that might possibly be a bug. They can't hit targets flying more faster than 400. If you keep your speed up, the missile will get close to you, fly circles around your plane, then explode harmlessly. What I usually do is actually turn towards the missiles if I'm flying faster than 400 so I can "get rid" of them as fast as possible, since they basically have unlimited fuel.

Don't be afraid of Jav's, they actually suck compared to stingers when going against planes. Hope that helps!

What I was they would fix is the lock on bug in the heli where you don't hear any laser lock on notification and then about .5 sec before you explode you get the missile incoming warning.

mcp

Neo Member
I think that hitting the ecm when on the run from a jav will help. I'm not sure if it is just it having trouble hitting you going fast or if it is actually flying through the chaff trail and getting spooked.

I hardly ever get killed by javs in jets any more. As said above as long as you aren't circling constantly above the middle of the map you should barely have them being fired at you.

redhot_

Yep but in heli's that will kill you, it explodes kills the gunner or pilot but doesn't blow up the vehicle.

Ya it for sure happens more in choppers. I also think it kills you leaving the chopper with some health left because the rockets mostly come from under or in front most of the time when your flying a chopper, jets its always in the back.

For that lock on bug, i cant see them fixing it unless they already know about it for this next patch. It doesn't happen to me every match, but when it does happen in a room its happening multiple times.

Corran Horn

Jets with no flare is no fun lolol

Need to kill people! ;;

edit: yay killed a heli and now have flares lol. Need another for heat seakers now :eek:

I unlocked the USAS-12 frag rounds. It is so cheap and unbalanced. Many instances of being caught in the open and I mowed them down instead. It's a damn auto-shotgun that shoots grenades! I have a 4X scope on it as well. It needs a nerf.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I unlocked the USAS-12 frag rounds. It is so cheap and unbalanced. Many instances of being caught in the open and I mowed them down instead. It's a damn auto-shotgun that shoots grenades! I have a 4X scope on it as well. It needs a nerf.
Is it worse than the DAO-12 with frags?

Question guys, I purchased this game at launch and still have the online pass on my HD (I sold my old copy) can I grab a used limited edition and be fine? and will that include the karkand stuff?

Question guys, I purchased this game at launch and still have the online pass on my HD (I sold my old copy) can I grab a used limited edition and be fine? and will that include the karkand stuff?
yep, as long as you entered the online pass code from the limited edition on that account/console you'll be able to get the B2K maps for free

If you entered the online pass from before and had that attached to your gamertag then you should be fine. The online pass from the limited edition also unlocks the Karkand pack. So assuming you did all of this you don't even need to get a Limited Edition used copy, you could get a regular edition used copy... all as long as you are using the same gamertag you attached your original online pass+Karkand code to.

yep, as long as you entered the online pass code from the limited edition on that account/console you'll be able to get the B2K maps for free

If you entered the online pass from before and had that attached to your gamertag then you should be fine. The online pass from the limited edition also unlocks the Karkand pack. So assuming you did all of this you don't even need to get a Limited Edition used copy, you could get a regular edition used copy... all as long as you are using the same gamertag you attached your original online pass+Karkand code to.

If I remember correctly it was just one code I entered for the online pass correct? there was not a second code in the box?

sweet!

I'm . . . kind of burnt out of BF3 already, which is odd as I put in about 1500 hours into BC2. It could be because my friend, who just finished his tour with the Marines, and I put in a 24 hour weekend marathon. I haven't had the will to play since :)

Going to spend some time with Jagged Alliance 2, which I never played back in the day when it was released, and return when the long-delayed balance patch is hopefully released.

Corran Horn

BF3 with gaffers. Close game to see SC2 still running in background. lol

Javelins are fun with good soflams and constant resupply :D

Top Bottom