• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Seanspeed

Banned
The suppression thing is bullshit. A support dude was emptying his 100 bullet clip on me while I aimed and shot straight for his head about three times. Apparently the bullet wont hit only because you're suppressed even though your aiming is dead on. Range between him and me was about 80 feet. Plus he wasn't moving..
They are trying to make the Suppression Resist perk somewhat useful it sounds like.

shouts

Neo Member
Surpression is awesome. I'm actually happy they're adding more surpression as it adds another tactical level to the game. I want to see MG's spraying a building to suppress the enemy as your team advances on it.

I wonder what they mean about making AA missles "harder to dodge." I have my 100% failsafe top-sekrit method of avoiding AA, I just hope they don't really adjust that.

It's a good idea but it's not that awesome when his entire face is centered in my 12x scope three times and the bullet misses every time. Spraying a clip with your M4 and having more spread bc of suppression is fine but just neglecting individual skill is stupid.

patapuf

It's a good idea but it's not that awesome when his entire face is centered in my 12x scope three times and the bullet misses every time. Spraying a clip with your M4 and having more spread bc of suppression is fine but just neglecting individual skill is stupid.

Suppression should force the player to change position. That's the whole point of supressing - that the enemy can't shoot back effectively.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Surpression is awesome. I'm actually happy they're adding more surpression as it adds another tactical level to the game. I want to see MG's spraying a building to suppress the enemy as your team advances on it.

I always imagined supression and LMGs would work this way and now they don't. I hope this makes it closer to that.

Good, but the same thing should be implemented for buggies, jeeps and other non-armored light vehicles.
I want to see that shit fly over my head when I put an RPG into it as it's speeding towards me like it did in BC2.
It's just retarded to hit a buggy on Wake Island with a tank shell for instance, only to have it disable and give the guys inside plenty of time to bail or retaliate.

If anything it should kill the guys inside even if it does not blow up the unarmored buggy. A lot of times it just disables it letting everyone out unscathed.

I hope there's more info on the fixes on the game itself (e.g. better connection, less game-/console-freezing, options inbetween matches, shorter time to wait inbetween matches and respawns etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

So you're mad... that the suppression mechanic... is... working by design?

When you're suppressed (currently) the first bullet of your volley will not hit in addition to the other bullets in your volley after that being a wider spread. You're mad because you're suppressed but can't the dude because the game purposely has a mechanic that is supposed to make you go "NO WAIT SHIT *gets into cover*" instead of "Oh, my screen is blurry? *headshottrollface.jpg*"

Overdoziz

Banned
I wonder if they're ever going to address the audio glitches. I hate it when I hear the sound of a rocket flying overhead every 10 seconds without there being an actual rocket. And there's the glitch that causes half of your audio to be gone.

Arucardo

Pretty glad about that C4 change. Had a moment last weekend where at the start of a wake island round someone spawned in the UH1 passenger seat, planted C4, switched teams and triggered it blowing up a chopper full of people (me included).

I realized what was going on before he triggered it but I didn't bother to jump out over the ocean.

Pretty glad about that C4 change. Had a moment last weekend where at the start of a wake island round someone spawned in the UH1 passenger seat, planted C4, switched teams and triggered it blowing up a chopper full of people (me included).

I realized what was going on before he triggered it but I didn't bother to jump out over the ocean.
:lol :lol :lol

i gotta try that now!

You can now spot with the EOD bot.

The MAV will now be destroyed when running into a soldier or vehicle at high speed.

The M224 Mortar can no longer be deployed in an area that is out of combat for another team like a home base or other protected spawn.

:O

shouts

Neo Member
So you're mad... that the suppression mechanic... is... working by design?

When you're suppressed (currently) the first bullet of your volley will not hit in addition to the other bullets in your volley after that being a wider spread. You're mad because you're suppressed but can't the dude because the game purposely has a mechanic that is supposed to make you go "NO WAIT SHIT *gets into cover*" instead of "Oh, my screen is blurry? *headshottrollface.jpg*"

I'm not mad because I don't understand how it works, I say it's not favoring skill.

Because even when my screen is super blurry and I'm putting myself at risk peeking out to get a shot, being able to put my sights on his forehead during those short moments the game denies me the kill. Plus, the only thing I could see was his head.

On the other side we have mr spray and pray that puts down a 100 shots at the rock I'm currently taking cover behind. And then he randomly gets a shot or two to hit my head which kills me. If suppression is disabling the only viable counter I have while at the same time ignoring that individual skill I say it's stupid.

patapuf

I'm not mad because I don't understand how it works, I say it's not favoring skill.

Because even when my screen is super blurry and I'm putting myself at risk peeking out to get a shot, being able to put my sights on his forehead during those short moments the game denies me the kill. Plus, the only thing I could see was his head.

On the other side we have mr spray and pray that puts down a 100 shots at the rock I'm currently taking cover behind. And then he randomly gets a shot or two to hit my head which kills me. If suppression is disabling the only viable counter I have while at the same time ignoring that individual skill I say it's stupid.

The suppression mechanic tries to make suppression "authenthic" as in: you wouldn't try to peak out to do a precise snipershot while being suppressed in real life. For the mechanic to emulate that, it has to make shooting back while being suppressed unapealing.

of course wheter that is a good mechanic is a matter of taste. Though i do think a properly working suppression mechanic makes for more interesting squad gameplay, especially in rush, where a support guy could effectively suppress 2-3 targets and enable his squad to push forward.

theres also the anti suppression perk.

shouts

Neo Member
The suppression mechanic tries to make suppression "authenthic" as in: you wouldn't try to peak out to do a precise snipershot while being suppressed in real life. For the mechanic to emulate that, it has to make shooting back while being suppressed unapealing.

of course wheter that is a good mechanic is a matter of taste. Though i do think a properly working suppression mechanic makes for more interesting squad gameplay, especially in rush, where a support guy could effectively suppress 2-3 targets and enable his squad to push forward.

theres also the anti suppression perk.

So what am I supposed to do then? Lay down and die?

If it's my only chance to get out of the situation then yes it should be possible. The feeling of how silly that mechanic can be is rather striking when the crosshair is right in his face during three consecutive shots and there is just no effect.

Seanspeed

Banned

If it's my only chance to get out of the situation then yes it should be possible. The feeling of how silly that mechanic can be is rather striking when the crosshair is right in his face during three consecutive shots and there is just no effect.
You act like its impossible to shoot back and kill somebody. Maybe dont worry so much about a headshot and just shoot at their body, where you'll have a better chance of hitting. If you're caught out in the open, then yes, you'll do best to lay down but try not to die by shooting back. If there's cover, then you take cover. They dont have infinite bullets and there's more often than not a different path you can take if you're trying to be on the move.

THERE'S ALSO THE ANTI SUPPRESION PERK.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So I tried playing the single player last night after my Xbox Live account went silver.

It kept saying I lost connection to EA servers and kicked me out of single player. How fucked is that?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I agree with ^^^.

While it appears to negate skill, it seems to work as intended. In the game its cheap to die and respawn but in real life its not as easy. So the game forces that fear on you in a way rather than allow you to take the risk, no matter how great.

Where are your squadmates at? Anytime I am pinned down and suppressed and know I can't move, is when I call for reinforcement. Usually back up isn't too far away when you are sticking with your squad...

shouts

Neo Member
You act like its impossible to shoot back and kill somebody. Maybe dont worry so much about a headshot and just shoot at their body, where you'll have a better chance of hitting. If you're caught out in the open, then yes, you'll do best to lay down but try not to die by shooting back. If there's cover, then you take cover. They dont have infinite bullets and there's more often than not a different path you can take if you're trying to be on the move.

THERE'S ALSO THE ANTI SUPPRESION PERK.

I think i wrote that his head was the ony thing I could see. So the risk of getting swiped by his m249 isn't great enough apparently.

Regarding squadmates I often play alone on PC. In this situation there isn't time to lay down type for backup etc etc. I just want to take the shot, kill him and get out of the situation. It may be more realistic in a way but awarding the guy holding down his trigger hoping for some random hits with his bullet hose, shooting from an elevated position, isn't right.

None of you have yet to come up with a solution where I'm not allowed to shoot back only because he has a bigger gun.

Last, I'd like to see any of you just sit there and accept the fact that your shots just disapper bc of game mechanics. More than likely you would be upset.

patapuf

I think i wrote that his head was the ony thing I could see. So the risk of getting swiped by his m249 isn't great enough apparently.

Regarding squadmates I often play alone on PC. In this situation there isn't time to lay down type for backup etc etc. I just want to take the shot, kill him and get out of the situation. It may be more realistic in a way but awarding the guy holding down his trigger hoping for some random hits with his bullet hose, shooting from an elevated position, isn't right.

None of you have yet to come up with a solution where I'm not allowed to shoot back only because he has a bigger gun.

Last, I'd like to see any of you just sit there and accept the fact that your shots just disapper bc of game mechanics. More than likely you would be upset.

as stated above, suppression fire promotes teamplay, a guy firing nonstop at your spot is exposed himself. that's where your teammates can counter him. On the other hand being able to pin down someone allows for advanced manoeuvering. I'll give you that playing bf3 alone is often a frustrating experience.

also, they buffed the anti suppression perk. Choose it and you will be able to offset the effect pretty well.

the solution is for you to play a game where sticking your head out and shooting at someone laying down suppressing fire at you isn't discouraged by game mechanics.

AndyD

aka andydumi
as stated above, suppression fire promotes teamplay, a guy firing nonstop at your spot is exposed himself. that's where your teammates can counter him. On the other hand being able to pin down someone allows for advanced manoeuvering. I'll give you that playing bf3 alone is often a frustrating experience.

also, they buffed the anti suppression perk. Choose it and you will be able to offset the effect pretty well.

Yes. BF3 is designed to promote teamwork.

Also, you can always run. If his bullets are inaccurate and only affect your firing, there's nothing stopping you from retreating/flanking/hiding. Or wait until he it out of bullets and has to reload. Which takes a significant amount of time, giving you plenty of time to snipe him or move away unhurt.

But if you want to play a lone wolf game, battlefield is not your game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Suppression encourages maneuver and flanking and prevents Rush matches from turning into a camp fest.

It's not fun to be suppressed but it's not fun to be killed either. Doesn't mean that invincibility would make for a better match.

If there were no accuracy penalties when being suppressed, there would literally be no point to including it in the game.

Sorry dude. If you're caught out in the open, alone, and someone sees you and lays down fire near you, you either need to fight back, wait, or try to get out of there. Someone has spotted you--there WILL be a chance of death.

scogoth

If there were no accuracy penalties when being suppressed, there would literally be no point to including it in the game.

I don't think it should be a modifier accuracy, just visual impairment which would decrease the accuracy of bad players.

If somebody starts shooting but sucks and can't hit me I shouldnt be punished when I turn to shoot them and aim dead on.

I don't think it should be a modifier accuracy, just visual impairment which would decrease the accuracy of bad players.

If somebody starts shooting but sucks and can't hit me I shouldnt be punished when I turn to shoot them and aim dead on.

Well, maybe they could change it so it was only time based so it dissipated. But I like the idea of rewarding players who are actively trying to secure/suppress a particular area. It also babysits and rewards players with bad accuracy.

mr_nothin

Banned
Jesus Christ
I cant wait for this patch!

Changing prone back to how it was in the alpha?! :O

Below Radar works against stingers?! :O

Flares work against JAV missles?! :O

Stingers have reduced range? :O

MAV ramming and MAV elevators fixed?! :O
Helicopter buffs all around?! :O

I can go back to my suppression perk again?! :O

Added recoil to LMGs?! :O

Pecheneg nerf?! :O

Reduced splash damage of RPGs?! :O

Slower resupply of 40mm?! :O

This sounds amazing
There is only 1 change that I dont like and that's increased accuracy of base AA guns and auto air radar.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well, maybe they could change it so it was only time based so it dissipated. But I like the idea of rewarding players who are actively trying to secure/suppress a particular area. It also babysits and rewards players with bad accuracy.

But it does. After you exit the supressed area, or the supressive fire ends, you slowly regain normalcy.

I read it as the miss penalty is only at full supression based to the patch notes, and full supression is not instant, it builds up. So if someone starts firing on you, you have time to turn around and counter quickly without a miss penalty (bold players), but once you hide for a bit and become fully supressed you can't counter with the same effectiveness as you incur the miss penalty (fearful players).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So I tried playing the single player last night after my Xbox Live account went silver.

It kept saying I lost connection to EA servers and kicked me out of single player. How fucked is that?

We're you trying to resume a previous mid-mission save? There's a bug with that which disconnects you indefinitely. You have to restart the mission from scratch it if happens.

TheSeks

Or you... I dunno... go around/GTFO from the area of suppression? That's the whole goal of the mechanic. It's not meant for you to "headshot that n00b while my screen is blurry." It's meant to make you drop what you're doing, get into cover or go around. If you're out in the open and you're getting suppressed? Yeah, you'll die. But if you're near cover, you will not die unless you are a dumbass (which you are) going into the open to attempt to take the dude out instead of waiting for the suppression effect to end (which isn't long) or waiting for him to come to you while you spray in a CQC situation that negates the bigger spread of suppression.

It sounds like the answer you're looking for is "Call of Duty" or "generic CoD derivative clone."

Actually, you should try Red Orchestra 2. I'd bet you'd LOOOOOOVE that.

scogoth

Jesus Christ
I cant wait for this patch!

Changing prone back to how it was in the alpha?! :O

Below Radar works against stingers?! :O

Flares work against JAV missles?! :O

Stingers have reduced range? :O

MAV ramming and MAV elevators fixed?! :O
Helicopter buffs all around?! :O

I can go back to my suppression perk again?! :O

Added recoil to LMGs?! :O

Pecheneg nerf?! :O

Reduced splash damage of RPGs?! :O

Slower resupply of 40mm?! :O

This sounds amazing
There is only 1 change that I dont like and that's increased accuracy of base AA guns and auto air radar.

But you will still be playing HC, so it doesn't make any difference.

Biff

Dat patch.

Not sure why .44s are getting a buff.

Interested about these new 'Match Rounds' that come equipped with Heavy Barrel.

shouts

Neo Member
If you can see a person's head, you dont need to be a fucking medical doctor to guess that his torso is gonna be underneath it.

By only being able to see his head i mean that the rest of his body was concealed. lol

Or you... I dunno... go around/GTFO from the area of suppression? That's the whole goal of the mechanic. It's not meant for you to "headshot that n00b while my screen is blurry." It's meant to make you drop what you're doing, get into cover or go around. If you're out in the open and you're getting suppressed? Yeah, you'll die. But if you're near cover, you will not die unless you are a dumbass (which you are) going into the open to attempt to take the dude out instead of waiting for the suppression effect to end (which isn't long) or waiting for him to come to you while you spray in a CQC situation that negates the bigger spread of suppression.

Oh right..."go around", yeah thanks for that tip. I'm sure it will be very useful. You don't get it at all right?

qft, the more skillful player isn't awarded and that's the problem.

TheSeks

Here's the game for you, then. You can thank me by posting how much you love you're able to kill "dem n00bs" that "suck at shooting" there.

Oh right..."go around", yeah thanks for that tip. I'm sure it will be very useful. You don't get it at all right?

No, I very much get it.

"BAWWWW WHY CAN'T I HIT THE DUDE THAT IS FIRING ON ME FROM DOWN A HALLWAY AND IS CLOSE OR NEAR CLOSE TO HIT ME AND MAKING MY ACCURACY DROP!?"

"Because that's working by design for a game mechanic."

"B-B-BUT THAT MECHANIC SUXXXORSOZOZOZOZOZOZORORZXOSSOZRS *foams at mouth*"

"Dealwithit.gif"

"BUT I DON'T WANT TO! I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HEADSHOT FOOLS EVEN IF THEY'RE LAYING SUPPRESSING FIRE DOWN TO GET ME TO MOVE AWAY FROM THEM!"

"Then you're a dumbass. Go play CoD."

I very much "get it," because I "get" what DICE is doing with the suppression mechanic. Once again, for the slow learners in class *cough*: Suppression is an "Oh shit, I'm being fired on but don't know where" mechanic. You may know where you're being fired from but since the game is meant to lower your accuracy because your character doesn't, you're meant to panic and get away from the suppression zone. *gasp* So why are you a dumbass that continues to go into the suppression zone when you know someone is there laying down fire?

And PROTIP: Not everyone "sucks at shooting" to get suppressive fire going. I can hit you once or twice and then move my aim one or two millimeters to the left/right and then start a suppressive effect on you. It's "bullets whizzing by" and that's what DICE is attempting to portray: You being startled at being fired at and getting away or throwing grenades to flush the suppressor out. Don't complain because you're meant to fall back and attempt another strategy.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
By only being able to see his head i mean that the rest of his body was concealed. lol

Yeah, the one suppressing needs to be able to kill you faster. Such a shame.

You DO realize that suppression works both ways, right? You don't even need to hit him, but if you can get a few rounds off around him (you don't even have to hit, and sniper rounds give ALOT of suppression per round), he'll be suppressed enough for you to relocate. You know, how a sniper SHOULD be.

Then you can go about being a bush monster somewhere else.

patapuf

yes and no. The keys to success in Battlefield have always been organized squadplay and and good vehicle usage, moreso than individual skill. This is what the key game mechanics are build for and this is (imo) a good thing! A well functioning Squad should be able to take over a position even if the defenders are better individually but don't work toghether. Suppression is a tool that allows that.

BF is not balanced around 1vs1 situations!

Virzeth

I agree with the bolded part up here. I'd be okay if the crosshair jumped all over the place almost uncontrollably (hands shaking, head spinning), but the bullets should go where the gun is directed.
Suppression confusing the soldier makes perfect sense, but it should not deformate rifles.

Top Bottom