• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

scogoth

Fuck these dev's man:
http://mp1st.com/2012/03/10/stats-s...r-combat-is-popular-dev-defends-upcoming-dlc/

Yea, Metro is the most..."popular"....map but right behind it is Caspian, Kharg, and Firestorm.
Ppl are mainly playing Metro because of unlocks and stats padding and because they can spam rockets/m320s
at some stairs towards some invisible enemies that they cant see and see "ENEMY KILLED", "MULTIKILL" and "+100"
flood the screen.

And they are actually catering to that crowd? WTF? And then they go on to say that Armored Kill is for the
more traditional BF players/experience? Close Quarters is coming a whole season before AK (a good 3-4+ months).
They chose some of the smallest maps from BF2 to put into Strike at Karkand and even made some of them smaller.

I will def not be buying BF4 if they continue on this route. If it doesnt at least have SL only spawning,
no killcam, no 3d spotting by DEFAULT then I'm not buying it.

Cant believe that article actually just pissed me off lol
I kept trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but no more. They have clearly stated their position and
I dont agree with it. I cant wait until Planetside 2 comes out so I can leave BF3 behind for good.

Your forgetting that the common BF3 player who thinks metro is the best thing ever is also the player who will pay through the nose for DLC and re skins.

mr_nothin

Banned
Your forgetting that the common BF3 player who thinks metro is the best thing ever is also the player who will pay through the nose for DLC and re skins.

I'm actually anticipating it.

Which is why I'm now losing hope for the next BF installment.
Im anticipating that the new metro DLC will sell bucketloads because ppl are craving ANYTHING new from
bf3 right now and by the time Armored Kill rolls out...there will be new FPSs out and a new COD
and ppl will be worn out on bf3 and it will sell like shit and DICE will use their excellent telemetry skills and
say "herp derp, ppl want more apartment maps! so now we're just going to make 1 super small killing room"

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Wow that guy has to be fucking joking. Metro is so popular because of dumb asses thinking they need to be a level 50 colonel with 30,000 kills to make up for their baby dick. Nuketown was the most popular map on BO, good thing the developers didn't make 4 more of them or their DLC would have sucked even more.

If it's TDM only 16 player shit they can hug a nut. Conquest is already going to suck because it's going to be the same thing as domination. Ie a clusterfuck, at least on that map.

Ugh, that developer pissed me off.

Yes, CQC is popular. And fun. So do a good job at mixing both into the map. Karkand was so popular for a reason...it had the alleys and buildings for CQC, and the streets, long line of sights, and large scale for fans of Battlefield.
I don't know that I agree with that. What's the point of doing something you hate over and over for epeen?

I don't see why they couldn't make the CQC levels a bit bigger and squeeze more players into them so my guess is that they're gonna pump up the destruction.

mr_nothin

Banned
I don't know that I agree with that. What's the point of doing something you hate over and over for epeen?

I don't see why they couldn't make the CQC levels a bit bigger and squeeze more players into them so my guess is that they're gonna pump up the destruction.

For E-PEEN

akira28

One wonders if they'll include thermobarics. I could see it being fun if it's entirely office building interiors, and wide rooms separated by corridors or something. Like those of you who remember Soldier of Fortune 2 multiplay. They could spice it up, motion sensor goes off, so you blow a hole in the floor with your shotgun, and drop grenades, or flashbangs and drop down yourself for confirmed kills. If they do give a damn, they could make it fun. If they're just trying to compete and put out a "marketable product", then it'll probably suck for the most part. The claustrophobic apartment buildings of BF3 campaign were so cramped, I couldn't see them being anything more than killzones, especially with grenade launcher and noob tube spam.

This one all depends on their map and level designers, have they learned balance? Do they know zen? Have they mastered the principles of what it takes to have fun maps? Or are they dazzled by the material world of games we don't really fucking don't like? Scaling down maps because people don't like having to drive or run to their kill spots is a disappointment. Having maps with so much unused space, almost enough to be maps on their own, is lazy. Catering to what people call 'console friendly' might make extra money, but it kills the reputation and will definitely hurt sales of what they come out with next.

They're already off of my Day 1 schedule.

I don't get the impression that the hackers and griefers love the game. I get the impression that they hate the game and the people who play it and have decided to squeeze all the enjoyment they can get out of ruining it for others, however they can.

edit:
I do enjoy some SDM with >10 people.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me

Achievement whores, that's who.

On that same note, it's not to say I don't enjoy a good CQC showdown. I've been playing for the past day on Canals TDM because it's the most reliable way to roll shottie. Anything else, you're more likely to get cut down in the open field. Now that I got my service stars, I'm going back to just play the game because I can, but in that meantime, my SPM went up 25 points, my KD ratio went up to 0.6 from .55 (I started playing on a rig that couldn't run the game very well, but I upgraded so now it runs smooth as butter and I'm playing much better). But when you can rack up games like this or this (I only ran buckshot, sometimes flechette), who gives a damn about those "open" maps like Caspian and Firestorm.

Anyway, now that I'm done with my service stars until they add the chest OHK zone for sniper rifles, I'm going to be playing more team oriented stuff. Sure, I won't be getting two kills a minute with a shotgun anymore, but I'll be doing some damage. This is where I have more relaxed fun with the game. And look, I played all the classes equally too!
2LDJg.png

scogoth

I'm actually anticipating it.

Which is why I'm now losing hope for the next BF installment.
Im anticipating that the new metro DLC will sell bucketloads because ppl are craving ANYTHING new from
bf3 right now and by the time Armored Kill rolls out...there will be new FPSs out and a new COD
and ppl will be worn out on bf3 and it will sell like shit and DICE will use their excellent telemetry skills and
say "herp derp, ppl want more apartment maps! so now we're just going to make 1 super small killing room"

Sigh I suppose I can go back and play l4d. Its not that developer released new DLC, called it a game, charged you $50 then released all the old maps as "new" DLC.

Imma go play bc2 now.

Donos

Wow, after changing my engie weapon from the SCAR to M4A1 people actually die when i shoot at them :). Totally changed the game for me. Now i'm always in the top 5.

The thing for me with metro was "hm that's a really small and shitty map but... i could unlock stuff really fast" but in the end i played it only 1 time so far.
I play BF3 / BFBC2 for the huge maps with jets, tanks and a real battlefield atmosphere and not to have a COD clone.

Had enough of MW3 on PS3 with it tiny maps.

Divius

^M4A1 ftw

Finally completed all the assignments. Had a really tough time destroying an enemy vehicle with my repair torch.

I am worried about the next BF installment, think about how refined the open battlefield/vehicle combat would be if they solely focused on that type of gameplay, as opposed to trying to cater to every type of fps player. You cant beat COD, at being COD, and IMO that fps shooter model is getting real stale. We need innovation, not emulation

WTF, how much damage does it?

A lot. I gave up when I found out you could do it to a mortar. If you wanna do it properly, its probably best to have a friend fire 2/3 rockets at a tank(enough to disable it) and hope that the driver is too stupid and preoccupied with your friend to notice you destroying the tank.

Also, Recon is a lot more fun when you get involved and hold influential buildings than it is fucking about behind rocks on the edge of the map

Donos

butterstick is beast too. new map and after few moments he's already up with 20 kills. Where do they breed BF3 GAF ?

They're not in BF3 though...

And thank Allah they're not. Plus, I'm talking about 'sniperz', you know, the guys that all hang out in the corners by the bridges on Sienne, or the mountains on Firestorm. You know, the useless ones that don't help their team. Recon I have respect for.

If you want to see some beastly gameplay vids and how aggressively I try to play, check out some on my YT channel. I try to make them boastful/assholey. Hell, the name SirButterstick was invented to invoke anger. Here's a good starter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDM9EFwg000&feature=plcp&context=C4bbf20dVDvjVQa1PpcFOw_6Hci6ToXJ9THNSpLy9r3cuBtsWMwA8%3D

I'm thinking of trying to do some commentary / teaching vids.

BoatAck

And thank Allah they're not. Plus, I'm talking about 'sniperz', you know, the guys that all hang out in the corners by the bridges on Sienne, or the mountains on Firestorm. You know, the useless ones that don't help their team. Recon I have respect for.

If you want to see some beastly gameplay vids and how aggressively I try to play, check out some on my YT channel. I try to make them boastful/assholey. Hell, the name SirButterstick was invented to invoke anger. Here's a good starter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDM9EFwg000&feature=plcp&context=C4bbf20dVDvjVQa1PpcFOw_6Hci6ToXJ9THNSpLy9r3cuBtsWMwA8%3D

I'm thinking of trying to do some commentary / teaching vids.

Fucking awesome music!

Feature

Banned
I'm doubting on buying the game, but the unlocks are keeping me away from it. I'm scared that I'll be destroyed right away because I'm level 1 with just the basic weapons, whilst there are level 50 nerds all around blasting me with some guns that match the power of the spaceships in independence day.

Divius

Battlefield 3: Close Quarters Gameplay Premiere Trailer

^This looks awful. This isn't Battlefield, DICE. There will be so much rocket/nade-spam.

I'm doubting on buying the game, but the unlocks are keeping me away from it. I'm scared that I'll be destroyed right away because I'm level 1 with just the basic weapons, whilst there are level 50 nerds all around blasting me with some guns that match the power of the spaceships in independence day.
The starting weapons of most of the classes are great. I still regularly use the starting weapons for Assault (M16A3) and Support (M27 IAR), while I exclusively use the starting weapon for Engineer (M4A1). Not a fan of the recon starting weapons, but I rarely play recon so no valid opinion there from me.

Donos

Even if you don't get much kills you can rank up easy by just helping your team capturing points, being the mg shooter in a tank/heli, supplying troops, repairing etc.
And you get optics for your weapon really soon.

Hell, wasn't BF3 50% (30€) at Origin atm ? Get it and join us. And don't measure with BF3 GAF, they are all beastly half gods, looking down at us peons :)

Well, with air vehicles, you'll be at a severe disadvantage without flares, but the rest of the unlocks aren't so overpowered.

Virzeth

gameinformer.com said:
Though most fans will just be happy to play some new maps when Close Quarters launches in June, a smaller subset of Battlefield traditionalists will probably scoff at the idea of a map pack that approximates the intense small area gunfights of Call of Duty. So why go small when the series is best known for going big? Bach says the popularity of more narrow maps like Operation Metro was the motivating factor. Since hardcore fans got their wish with several revamped Battlefield 2 fans in Back to Karkand, DICE believed it made sense to cater to the close quarters crowd with the next four-map expansion.

With no vehicles or large open expanses, these maps will be popular Team Deathmatch destinations, but Bach says all four maps support every pre-existing gameplay mode, plus a brand new one the studio isn't revealing just yet. To keep these more intimate encounters from feeling overcrowded, DICE is also dropping the player count. Sorry PC players, but there are no 64-player matches in this expansion pack.

As you would expect in a smaller, Call of Duty style map, the minute-to-minute gameplay was fast and furious, and the maps seem better suited to the assault and support classes. Though you can still play as an engineer or recon soldier, the utility of anti-air missiles, RPGs, anti-tank mines, sniper rifles, and laser designators seems marginalized when battling in such tight spaces. Why essentially equip yourself with poorly fitting specializations like these when a medic pack or ammo packs make so much more sense? Close Quarters also comes with 10 new weapons spread across all the classes, so perhaps the new guns will keep these seemingly less-useful classes relevant. Like Back to Karkand before it, this new expansion also includes additional assignments and dogtags.

[Tweet from Battlefieldo - Article on Gameinformer]

If it has Conquest and Rush, I'm in.

LOL. Doubt it, dude. MAYBE Rush. Although I wonder if it will have a super small "Domination" style Conquest. Ugh.

Really curious about the new mode, though. Destruction looks great (seems like walls can be destroyed/shot up) and love the new weapons but get a fucking grip, DICE.

Virzeth

LOL. Doubt it, dude. MAYBE Rush. Although I wonder if it will have a super small "Domination" style Conquest. Ugh.
"Bach says all four maps support every pre-existing gameplay mode"
Here's hoping he wouldn't lie so blatantly.

Really curious about the new mode, though. Destruction looks great (seems like walls can be destroyed/shot up) and love the new weapons but get a fucking grip, DICE.
Given the DLC audience, my bet's on some "Capture the Flag" variant, or... Free For All. Ugh.

Seanspeed

Banned

Conquest actually seems to make more sense than Rush. As you say, something like Domination could work. I actually did enjoy Domination in Call of Duty.

Also, there's still the potential for slightly bigger maps than what we saw in that pre-trailer footage(where they actually showed the spawn screen with the full map) for stuff like Conquest and Rush. For Rush, it would almost have to be bigger. I dont see how that mode would work with a tiny little map.

I cant imagine they would just lie about this. :/

Top Bottom