• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Fixed, bro. Nerf didn't do shit. It's still glareful even in the goddamn sun.

Almost no one uses them on the PC. Must be a console issue.

I still use them, but only as a CQB option when I'm rolling the MASS shottie. It gives me that extra second I need to line up a good shotgun shot or even give me a second go. I usually turn it off unless I'm in CQB and want to take someone by surprise, but I haven't seen it too often on PC, and it's usually not a problem to me, especially since at range they're like a giant SHOOT ME target...

Feature

Banned
Just installed BF3. This battlenet or whatever website is the worst thing I've ever come across in my gaming life. Why isn't there a easy client I can run like lets say counterstrike or something... even COD does it better. I'm loving the game itself though except 64 man servers. What a spam fest that is :D

So does the heavy barrel without a reduction in bullet damage.

With some pretty horrid penalties for spread, and recoil increases as well. Even DICE acknowledged that the penalties are too high to counter the positives.

M4A1 with suppressor is basically a high ROF laser gun.

scogoth

Umm silencer means you won't show up on the mini map when firing. This alone makes it the best attachment. And I thought it didn't reduce damager just bullet speed.

Umm silencer means you won't show up on the mini map when firing. This alone makes it the best attachment. And I thought it didn't reduce damager just bullet speed.

I think it reduces damage at long range (excluding sniper rifles). Usually a one bullet difference, at least based on those old/first BF3 damage charts.

Almost no one uses them on the 360. Must be a PS3 issue.
With so many other better attachments nobody in their right mind would use something as useless as a flashlight.
seriously, on both consoles, i only really see flashlights on sidearms. everyone is running suppressor on their class specific guns and extended mag on their usas.

So does the heavy barrel without a reduction in bullet damage.
but it doesn't reduce damage though, it just increases the damage dropoff and decreases the bullet velocity. there are penalties, but they're not as harsh as your statement and people are fine with them.

I hate the silencer. Feels cheap. Real men don't use attachments in the third slot.

You have the k/d that you have, and that is without using suppressors? My god.

I will use a suppressor as long as it keeps me from showing on the mini map, that is easily the biggest advantage it offers. I hate that is denies me from hearing my precious un-suppressed gunfire, but that is a trade off I am willing to make.

mr_nothin

Banned
You have the k/d that you have, and that is without using suppressors? My god.

I will use a suppressor as long as it keeps me from showing on the mini map, that is easily the biggest advantage it offers. I hate that is denies me from hearing my precious un-suppressed gunfire, but that is a trade off I am willing to make.

Jets...

Jets help, but so do non-silenced weapons. They hit a lot harder, without the velocity drop given to silenced rounds at range. Most people don't look at their minimap regardless.

If you're a smart player, you can "see" where the enemy is using silenced weapons by just listening to audio cues, if you have a surround sound system.

I'm particularly very fond of silenced weapons, one match as Engi in Bazar conquest I was trapped in the round corridor between C and B, I had enemies entering both sides, so I made my stand in one of the lateral rooms (prone in a corner). I carried a G36C with silencer and a M1911 also silenced. I had the luck that about 2 squads were near me, and I was able to kill like 6 people before they realized what was happening. I'm sure that if I had carried non silenced weapons they would have spotted me in the map and killed me sooner.

Feature

Banned
My first game there was this guy running around with his flashlight. He would come around the corner and my whole screen almost turned white... is that shit normal? I tried spraying into the light but I died nonetheless :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
My first game there was this guy running around with his flashlight. He would come around the corner and my whole screen almost turned white... is that shit normal? I tried spraying into the light but I died nonetheless :(
Equip a jackhammer/USAS and spray in the light's general direction.

Skeyser

prM7n.png

I can see why they want to nerf the foregrip/silencer combo, it's hilarious on the PKP.

hellclerk

Equip a jackhammer/USAS and spray in the light's general direction.

Hell, you could just equip any autogun with a laser sight and do the same thing. But he's using the flashlight how it was designed: getting a second of time in CQB. It doesn't actually DO anything but obscure your vision, so it's not like the flashlight is very useful at medium to long ranges...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hell, you could just equip any autogun with a laser sight and do the same thing. But he's using the flashlight how it was designed: getting a second of time in CQB. It doesn't actually DO anything but obscure your vision, so it's not like the flashlight is very useful at medium to long ranges...

Except it is. The nerf hasn't stopped the "obscuring your vision" from being fucking ridiculous. Even worse with teammates on Metro camping the goddamn crates with it while you're looking the other direction. UH, DUMBASS, MY VISION IS BLOCKED. TURN THE GODDAMN THING OFF. ASFDAJKFALDSJFLKADJFLKAJFLKDJASLFDAJKLFADSLJK*bangs head into keyboard in rage*

I guarantee you, as soon as the silencer and foregrip are nerfed people will go back to the flashlight, because, once again: It's an "I win" button in any situation.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Except it is. The nerf hasn't stopped the "obscuring your vision" from being fucking ridiculous. Even worse with teammates on Metro camping the goddamn crates with it while you're looking the other direction. UH, DUMBASS, MY VISION IS BLOCKED. TURN THE GODDAMN THING OFF. ASFDAJKFALDSJFLKADJFLKAJFLKDJASLFDAJKLFADSLJK*bangs head into keyboard in rage*

I guarantee you, as soon as the silencer and foregrip are nerfed people will go back to the flashlight, because, once again: It's an "I win" button in any situation.
So true. It even allows you to draw aggro from every single opponent with a line of sight at medium to long ranges. I mean, who wouldn't want a giant flare pointing snipers to their exact location?

xclaw

Amused me when I logged into Battlelog today.

YBRJc.png

Couldn't agree more, let's get this game working first Dice before we try get any excitement around DLC.

hellclerk

Man, I never realized how lasergun the AK-74M is. It's so damn controllable at mid range and once they get that initial recoil down, it's going to be damn good on the long range bursts too. Sure, the RPM isn't amazing, but that's what the MASS is for. :p

Amused me when I logged into Battlelog today.

YBRJc.png

Couldn't agree more, let's get this game working first Dice before we try get any excitement around DLC.

Waitaminute, they have planned 3 (!!!) DLC-packs as of now, but aren't even capable to release a decent patch since November?

Oh boy..

Got the game yesterday, left it to DL over night..

My first experience was crash after crash, on my system the game doesn't like Chrome or Firefox but IE is working so far, with IE I haven't crash, but I am gonna run through every map and see if that's the case...hoping it's just the stupid web browser causing problems...

Win 7 32bit
AMD 5750 1gb
Q9450
4 gb memory...

Feature

Banned
I'm getting into the game, still feel like I'm being destroyed by higher level people. Don't have any idea how I'm supposed to fly a plane with my keyboard :D Chopper I'm pretty okay with!

MrBig

Does anyone fly helis and jets with gamepads? I have a usb pad (and PS3 controller) and maybe want to try it.

I couldn't fly helis in BC2 with a mouse for shit (and still can't). I can be an absolute beast with them playing BF3 on the 360. Not directly comparable, but lots of people have said they prefer controllers for flying in BF3.

After barely playing this since launch, I've finally been putting in a few hours in over the weekend. Found it difficult at first, but I'm now rank 9. Enjoy a bit of conquest and rush, using TDM to level up my classes quickly from time to time.

The only issue is that I seem to stutter when moving: sometimes whilst running, mostly when sprinting. It's jerky, like there is something pushing the other way against me.

I'm on high settings at 1680x1050, with a 5770, Q6600, latest drivers. I've tried it at medium and low settings, no difference (low settings look fantastic btw, very unexpected!). Any ideas?

I'm thinking internet connection, but I'm on 30mb, admittedly wireless, but I've not had issues on other games.

shouts

Neo Member
After barely playing this since launch, I've finally been putting in a few hours in over the weekend. Found it difficult at first, but I'm now rank 9. Enjoy a bit of conquest and rush, using TDM to level up my classes quickly from time to time.

The only issue is that I seem to stutter when moving: sometimes whilst running, mostly when sprinting. It's jerky, like there is something pushing the other way against me.

I'm on high settings at 1680x1050, with a 5770, Q6600, latest drivers. I've tried it at medium and low settings, no difference (low settings look fantastic btw, very unexpected!). Any ideas?

I'm thinking internet connection, but I'm on 30mb, admittedly wireless, but I've not had issues on other games.

You can type in " render.perfoverlayvisible 1 " into console and then press enter (open console with the key above tab). If green/yellow is spiking you can see if you have a bottleneck in either the GPU or CPU.

But it sounds more like a connection issue to me, like rubberbanding.

You can type in " render.perfoverlayvisible 1 " into console and then press enter (open console with the key above tab). If green/yellow is spiking you can see if you have a bottleneck in either the GPU or CPU.

But it sounds more like a connection issue to me, like rubberbanding.

Cheers, useful feature! Just tried it out. GPU line is very stable. Yellow is getting small spikes, but they are consistent at least. GPU line has higher minimum and maximum values compared to CPU, though the averages are similar. Got similar results at low and high settings.

So it would seem my CPU is finally showing its age (6 year old tech!) a little. Could overclock, but I'd rather not.

Though this time the jerkiness didn't appear for 15 minutes. That to me would appear to be my connection. I'm going to try more servers out I think.

I complained about this a week or so ago. Had the game since launch and the slight rubberbanding has always been there for me. Has kept me from really getting into this game. Have a good internet connection also (20mbs I believe). Sli 560 Ti's, OC'd 2500k, 8 gigs ram.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone have the latest patch for the RU version? I can't seem to find it and I've been sitting away from the game for over a month so I know I'm behind.

I think I will buy the Karkland DLC now too.

scogoth

Anyone have the latest patch for the RU version? I can't seem to find it and I've been sitting away from the game for over a month so I know I'm behind.

I think I will buy the Karkland DLC now too.

Nope you're not behind. DICE/EA are fucking morons and haven't released the new patch yet.

Feature

Banned
Does anyone fly helis and jets with gamepads? I have a usb pad (and PS3 controller) and maybe want to try it.

Keep me updated if it works. I can't fly for shit with the mouse and the key board so I want to use my PS3 controller just for flying.

Top Bottom