• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Seriously WTF.. I play BF for vehicles and larger maps. What on earth are they doing? Also JUNE? Come on, so upset at this.

So if thats it for new stuff get the damn patch out next week.

Yeah, this news is kinda bittersweet. I'm happy that they actually announced DLC, but at the same time the spacing between them is horrible. Also, Close Quarters is not the reason why I play Battlefield. Give me huge maps with tons of Helis, Tanks and Jets and I'm golden.

I'm guessing that with the DLC so far away and apart, a lot of the Community is going to move onto other things. In the Winter, people are going to be playing the new CoD game and Halo 4 and not even think twice about getting the End Game DLC. I wonder if DICE/EA are even thinking of these things...

Divius

What's wrong with it?
Some people get this:

swMQl.jpg

I wonder if they are going to fix the ability to spot through smoke in the update. Every time someone uses smoke, you can still see the name if you are looking in their direction or even the vehicle icon and it makes it useless. Not many people have noticed it because nobody ever uses smoke. But why should they? It doesn't work anyways. It's definitely something I want to see fixed.

venom2124

Thats a strange bug for the mg36. Never knew about that.

Last night I was playing a match on firestorm and twice while I was running along my character just keels over and dies. Then I got the bad luck message both times. Anyone know why my soldier seems to suffer from random heart attacks? And I wasn't out of bounds.

Leaked DLC footage

Site is getting hammered right now.

Edited in Youtube link. Should work now

Interesting if the DLC pack is called "Close Quarters". Vid looks like a very COD-ish map, though it is SQDM. Interior of a building with a small exterior plaza.

Really hope all new DLC maps will have every mode included. Map looks like it could be a fun CQB map though.

scogoth

Interesting if the DLC pack is called "Close Quarters". Vid looks like a very COD-ish map, though it is SQDM. Interior of a building with a small exterior plaza.

Really hope all new DLC maps will have every mode included. Map looks like it could be a fun CQB map though.

Kinda reminds me cs_office. Now if only you could have a lav drive in there

mr_nothin

Banned
Close quarters looks terrible. It'll just be a mess of frag rounds.

M320, Rockets, Claymores, Frag Rounds, Grenades
Just call this Explosive Quarters already.

It's like they dont think when they make these maps/features. Oh yea, that's right...they playtest politely!

It's like they dont think when they make these maps/features. Oh yea, that's right...they playtest politely!

i always wondered what it would be like if you made the explosive damage blast radius bigger to the shooter than the opponent... would people just take the suicides or would they be more careful...

Dakar

Banned
CQ is only less annoying... hold B and choke it out.
I saw that a lot in October, but not so much now. My games tend to be interesting because most of the time the team will always push for the third cap (and humiliation!). Once teams start pushing hard it lends itself to allowing the home or B to be uncapped as its unguarded.

That's assuming they don't just get pushed back into their spawn, however, which seems to be the huge downside for the US side.

mr_nothin

Banned
I saw that a lot in October, but not so much now. My games tend to be interesting because most of the time the team will always push for the third cap (and humiliation!). Once teams start pushing hard it lends itself to allowing the home or B to be uncapped as its unguarded.

That's assuming they don't just get pushed back into their spawn, however, which seems to be the huge downside for the US side.
What game have you been playing?
Console? "No explosives" servers?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Auto shotties are probably even worse in Metro but no one really takes advantage.

I'd trade all of these (with the possible exception of Armored Kill) for mod tools.

June is a joke, it really is as if DICE simply don't plan ahead.

DICE is so fucking stupid. Infantry only map packs? Huge gaps of time between each map pack? They need to be releasing these every 6-8 weeks to keep interest high in a game that is now almost half a year old.

And why the fuck wouldn't you divvy it up so there's at least a couple of vehicle levels in the first pack? Just... what the fuck. Who does the marketing and design decisions for DICE/EA? Are they even in touch with what Battlefield 3 players want?

I really, really don't think they get it. This isn't 2005. This is an era of being able to distribute new content rapidly and keeping people attached to your product. I realize they're working on 2143 for a Winter/Spring release, but that doesn't excuse the stupidity of allowing 6 months to lapse between B2Karkand and this Close Quarters expansion! (December to June?)

Taking into account their terrible community relations, haphazard release of patches, and inability to really get new content that is aimed at actual community desires out in a timely fashion, it is hard to really say that I'm satisfied with their performance as a developer. They have a huge hit on their hands and it feels like they're fucking it up just like they did with 1943, albeit not as bad. It is still disturbing that they had such a huge success with 1943 and they were too lazy/shortsighted to release DLC for it, which killed that game.

Sorry for the huge smartphone-typed rant, but I wish DICE wasn't off in la-la land, jerking off and occasionally snapping back to reality to do something somewhat productive for a brief time, followed by shitting their pants and resuming their daze of masturbation.

tldr: They make the best multiplayer, teamplay-focused games in the entire industry but they absolutely drop the ball at maximizing their potential.

+1 to what you said. This game still has its hooks in my as I feel that's it's the best MP shooter out there, but their post-launch handling has been horrible.

We still don't know how many maps are going to be in the packs. Im hoping for 6-8 which I know is dreaming in this day and age, but that would make me very happy. How many maps were in the BF2 expansions? I can't recall . . .

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I probably should have qualified I was talking Conquest. I remember Rush from the beta, and yeah. But then again, I'm not a fan of Rush to begin with.

Duuuuuuuuuuude Conquest is even worse.

"Rush to B to win the round: The Map: The Movie: The Game"

US side? Rush to B, kill RU that has no chance to get up the stairs from both directions since there is no flanking routes for them to get through explosive spam.

RU side? Rush to B (good luck with this since public people are morons and DERP I WANT MY EASY 200 POINTS! on C), defend with your life. You lose it? Yeah, you lose the game.

Meanwhile, spam rockets/grenades/frag-rounds, again.

Just because you play Conquest over Rush doesn't mean the issue with Metro isn't there. In fact, Conquest Metro rounds make it even more apparent.

It's a terrible map (which came from a good idea/setting) all around because DICE didn't play like trolls (instead, they played "like gentlemen because we all work together so we can't piss each other off"-Demize99 on Reddit regarding balance changes!) see this shit and go "Yeah, that's fucking stupid *tweak map, balance*"

I think PC players get one or two more flags on Metro but it's still "rush the middle of the map and camp the stairs if you're on the US side. Otherwise rush the stairs and hopefully not die to win the round on RU side."

Rush just makes it worse because you have to PUSH through that shit to even get the game to push outside the tunnels where it becomes annoying but doable to grab the last set.

Boobphysics101 said:
DICE is so fucking stupid. Infantry only map packs? Huge gaps of time between each map pack? They need to be releasing these every 6-8 weeks to keep interest high in a game that is now almost half a year old.

Are you a PC or 360 player? Because it's mind-boggling to me that people still want DLC before balance changes or even Input lag fixes that EVERYONE on PS3 with a working brain feels. How people still want DLC/new maps when the game is fundamentally broken on one platform (and disregarding that: still broken with frag rounds and flashlights and FAMAS damage/RoF and...) and broken in gameplay. :|

At least DICE is attempting to fix the gameplay but that shit should've happened months back.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And I just saw that leaked Close Quarters map gameplay. It doesn't look bad... like Metro didn't...

We'll see if it turns to shit with frag rounds and grenades and rockets just like Metro, but I'm interested because it's an office environment space and I always like those type of combat situation environments.

Lord knows they're going to make nearly everything non-destroyable to keep cover for players in that map otherwise OH GOD

That map looks exactly like a COD map. I mean, as in it looks exactly like Arkaden in MW3.

I just want Arica Harbor to be updated to BF3. Is that too much to ask?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
That map looks exactly like a COD map. I mean, as in it looks exactly like Arkaden in MW3.

I just want Arica Harbor to be updated to BF3. Is that too much to ask?

Yes. Compared to the BC2 maps, I like BF3's MUCH better. Snow maps would be cool, but this Close Quarter definitely appeals to me, especially with the kind of fast play style I roll with. In rush or conquest mode the map would DEFINITELY be larger than just that one building. I can definitely see infiltrating that element of the map would be totally badass. Hopefully some of the walls are breachable...

Yes. Compared to the BC2 maps, I like BF3's MUCH better. Snow maps would be cool, but this Close Quarter definitely appeals to me, especially with the kind of fast play style I roll with. In rush or conquest mode the map would DEFINITELY be larger than just that one building. I can definitely see infiltrating that element of the map would be totally badass. Hopefully some of the walls are breachable...

that's what i said about Metro!

"this map must be HUGE in CQ64!"

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
that's what i said about Metro!

"this map must be HUGE in CQ64!"

Yeah, some shortsightedness on Metro by DICE for sure (a surface area over the metro with a few ways up and down would go a long way in improving the map design) but in the worst case scenario, this building is the middle point between two other flags since it's literally too small to house more than one cap point.

Just looking at how the building is designed, it would be impossible to lock down entirely. Sure, you could hold the point effectively enough by keeping things CQB, but flanking or breaking through and capping the next point over would be much easier since there's way too many choke points to lock down in there to be effectively shut down the attack like you can on Metro. The issue with Metro is that the path forward is so linear with so few choices on attack, that holding back a surge isn't really very difficult for even one or two properly equipped players. In that building, I can imagine defense to be a damned nightmare. There are so many tight flanking routes and covering just one or two corridors just isn't enough. The verticality of the stage really opens the map up to some intense infantry combat.

shouts

Neo Member
In rush or conquest mode the map would DEFINITELY be larger than just that one building. I can definitely see infiltrating that element of the map would be totally badass. Hopefully some of the walls are breachable...

The map pack is 2-16 players only, so if you like e-sport that's good news. But I can almost guarantee you there won't be any Rush or Conquest. Just TDM or SQDM.

Top Bottom