• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

shouts

Neo Member
Successfully suppressing enemies so your team can push up. Teamwork, a foreign concept.

Like 90% of all support players do...

3656n9.jpg

Successfully killing enemies so your team wins.

You realize suppression lowers accuracy and makes it harder for the enemy to see, right? Which makes it easier for your team to kill them.

I use suppression ALL the time. I'll unload a whole 100 round clip down a hallway/area where I know the enemy is (or where they're hiding) so that my squad mates can move in close and own them. Usually time I suppress them, go to reload, they think it's their opportunity to pop back out and they end up getting close-quarter raped and then also hit with my LMG fire once the reload is finished.

It's very effective and the lowered accuracy also helps keep you and your team alive since their return fire isn't as damaging.

Makoto

I've been investing some time into Support with the suppression specialization and that shit works wonders if you truly intend to suppress people.

You suppress enemy > enemy takes cover, waiting for effects to wear off > you personally go to the spot the enemy is hiding and take him out.

watership

Need some assistant here guys. Just bought BF3 for 360. Played through half of the campaign last night. Came home from work to continue, and but I'm getting "The connection with EA online was lost."

While trying to resume a single player game? WTF. Restarted my system, router, and the game a few times. Same thing. I'm about to disable internet just so i can play offline. But come on..

Real-world military tactics in BF3? Major lol, if you ever play BF3 you'll see it's quite the opposite.

Suppression is a very effective real world military tactic, and there's a reason it was so widely acclaimed in BiA and now BF3. Just because not a lot of people use it effectively in the game (due to ignorance/laziness) doesn't mean it's not a viable tactic in-game or real world.

It's good that DICE made it easier to get suppression medals. Should see more suppressing fire now, which could potentially add even further to the already excellent gameplay dynamics.

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm not saying suppression is a bad mechanic by the way. I just find the idea of actually rewarding people points for it to be a bit odd. I've met people who would purposefully miss so they could get the suppression ribbon/medal. :/

I'm not saying suppression is a bad mechanic by the way. I just find the idea of actually rewarding people points for it to be a bit odd. I've met people who would purposefully miss so they could get the suppression ribbon/medal. :/

Why wouldn't you reward the use of the mechanic? It's just like giving ammo or healing, except it gives your team an offensive boost/defensive boost against selected infantry. More suppressing fire is NOT a bad thing. You only get the medal if you hit close enough to an enemy to suppress them, so it's not like people can shoot at the ground and get medals doing nothing. It's win/win for everyone.

I love the concept, and I wish there was a 'suppression gauge' like in Brothers In Arms, so you could sell how suppressed the enemy you're firing at is.

mr_nothin

Banned

I believe suppression should only be applied if you have an LMG or a sniper rifle equipped. Give the support role a more specific purpose instead of just lobbing ammo around. Maybe assault rifles w/ bipod attached should allow for suppression also which would separate the attachments even more.
I dont see why every single gun has suppression applied ....realistic or not :/

Why wouldn't you reward the use of the mechanic? It's just like giving ammo or healing, except it gives your team an offensive boost/defensive boost against selected infantry. More suppressing fire is NOT a bad thing. You only get the medal if you hit close enough to an enemy to suppress them, so it's not like people can shoot at the ground and get medals doing nothing. It's win/win for everyone.

I love the concept, and I wish there was a 'suppression gauge' like in Brothers In Arms, so you could sell how suppressed the enemy you're firing at is.

Imagine the spot-dot changing color depending on level of suppression *swoons*

Helmholtz

I'm playing on PC, and the game recommends high settings, but I feel like my performance isn't all that great on high. I'm using an HD6870. Are there any settings I should try turning down to get better performance but maintain decent graphics?

Skeyser

It's not like you need to purposely miss to suppress, most people have 15-20% accuracy....that means you miss 80% of the time.

DTKT

Jesus christ, the improved lock time + increased range for Stingers is fuckin insane.

Choppers are now absolutely useless.

DICE, you are terrible at balance.

mr_nothin

Banned
Jesus christ, the improved lock time + increased range for Stingers is fuckin insane.

Choppers are now absolutely useless.

DICE, you are terrible at balance.

Oh really? Us low alt flyers that use ECM will still dominate.
Fly low, pop up, fire, use ECM, dip back down or high tail it out of there.....or just fly higher.

Couple that with a gunner that has flares and it's all good :D Im actually looking forward to the changes in heli/below radar/flares/ecm/and stingers. You'll see a lot more heli's doing strafe runs rather than sitting in 1 area trying to get a bunch of kills. Oh yea, and the fact that jet canons dont do as much damage to helicopters = success!

scogoth

Oh really? Us low alt flyers that use ECM will still dominate.
Fly low, pop up, fire, use ECM, dip back down or high tail it out of there.....or just fly higher.

Couple that with a gunner that has flares and it's all good :D Im actually looking forward to the changes in heli/below radar/flares/ecm/and stingers. You'll see a lot more heli's doing strafe runs rather than sitting in 1 area trying to get a bunch of kills. Oh yea, and the fact that jet canons dont do as much damage to helicopters = success!

Below radar that works! Omg! Low flying will be possible!

mr_nothin

Banned
The pilot's flares has actually been decreased from 20 second recharge to 11 seconds. The gunner's flares remain at 20 seconds to recharge.

DTKT, did you read the patch notes, brah? Although its always possible they're bugged.

That vid really wasn't anything crazy. First chopper was already fighting another chopper, and he disabled the second. Idiot pilots also sucked at flaring.

Mit-

The minimap changes fix one thing for me, but I really, really, REALLY hope they put the option to make it static in the game :\

I have big issues with knowing what direction I'm going in. I'm not used to reading a stupid compass above the minimap. I'm used to all the previous Battlefield games that had a static minimap (and an option for dynamic). Your player icon remained in the center, and rotated, and the map didn't rotate at all. Made it easy to tell what direction you were moving.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DTKT, did you read the patch notes, brah? Although its always possible they're bugged.

That vid really wasn't anything crazy. First chopper was already fighting another chopper, and he disabled the second. Idiot pilots also sucked at flaring.
Flares used to break lock so you could drop em whenevs. Now you have to eat a missile if you flare early.

mr_nothin

Banned
Seems as if BetterBattlelog just got an upgrade
It now includes Advanced player statistics along with graphs right within battlelog
It also allows you to save filterset presets

mr_nothin

Banned
Holy crap they sped up the Sprinting
Prone feels good
Flying Heli feels good
Guns feel good
Mouse is way smoother
No lag deaths so far:D

Top Bottom