• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Stopped reading here. LIES

Bingo.........

PP-2000 is very deadly at close range, I got all the attachments for that gun and only use it on Metro/Bazaar, plus the Assault class is fucking over powered, all the guns are long range weapons and have awesome fire rate, while Engineer are medium range with shitty fire rates, when it comes to fighting gun vs gun Assault is the class you choose, the games gun balance is fucked up, haven't played support yet but so far playing medic is so fucking easy it's like playing Call of Duty, at first i thought you couldn't 1man vs the army in this game, but when i switch to medic my K/D is now over 4 every damn game medic is easy mode.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Bingo.........

PP-2000 is very deadly at close range, I got all the attachments for that gun and only use it on Metro/Bazaar, plus the Assault class is fucking over powered, all the guns are long range weapons and have awesome fire rate, while Engineer are medium range with shitty fire rates, when it comes to fighting gun vs gun Assault is the class you choose, the games gun balance is fucked up, haven't played support yet but so far playing medic is so fucking easy it's like playing Call of Duty, at first i thought you couldn't 1man vs the army in this game, but when i switch to medic my K/D is now over 4 every damn game medic is easy mode.
That's how the balance should be. Engineers get anti vehicle weapons and Assault doesn't.

mr_nothin

Banned
That's how the balance should be. Engineers get anti vehicle weapons and Assault doesn't.

Yea..generally speaking...
when it comes to inf-inf gunplay strictly:

Assault should be OP
Engineers should be weak
Support should be inaccurate
Snipers should/need to be skilled

Inf vs Vehicles:
Assault should be avoiding
Engineers should be "OP"
Support should/needs to be skilled
Snipers = lolz

But noooooo "we need to give everybody a chance!!"

Skeyser

Yep and honestly engineers have some pretty decent guns for infantry combat. The M4A1 is basically an M16 with slightly more spread and lower long range damage, it's still amazing in CQC. The A-91 is pretty good too.

Hi folks! I need your help.

I bought BF3 (limited ed.) for the X360 a couple of days after launch.
I was very hyped for the game as I'm a huge BF1942 and that's the first (and last) BF that I've played.
Finished the SP on Hard (I always finish SP before going to MP).

And then the MP...well...let's say I didn't like it.
The thing that bugged me the most is that you can't play with your friends on the same side, by default. If you know what I mean (like in most games: CoD, Gears, ...)
From what I've seen, the game is organized into platoons of 4, right?
So if there's 8 of us in our XBL party and we all want to play together on the same side, how do we do that? To quote that Ancient Aliens guy: "Is such a thing even possible?" (please say: "Yes it is...")
After one night of playing, I gave up because I didn't find it to my liking.
That party organizing system was the "worst offense" to me... :/ I don't get it why they organized it the way they did...

Now there's a huge patch incoming and I'm willing to give this game another try because I see the potential.

What do you suggest I play? I'm a guy that loves to play MP with his friends, working together, etc.
Conquest? Rush?

Help me out.

I was very hyped for the game as I'm a huge BF1942 and that's the first (and last) BF that I've played.

The thing that bugged me the most is that you can't play with your friends on the same side, by default. If you know what I mean (like in most games: CoD, Gears, ...)
So if there's 8 of us in our XBL party and we all want to play together on the same side, how do we do that? To quote that Ancient Aliens guy: "Is such a thing even possible?" (please say: "Yes it is...")
That party organizing system was the "worst offense" to me... :/ I don't get it why they organized it the way they did...

Now there's a huge patch incoming and I'm willing to give this game another try because I see the potential.

What do you suggest I play? I'm a guy that loves to play MP with his friends, working together, etc.
Conquest? Rush?

Help me out.

Join a server with very few people on it. Less than 10. Have everyone join. Some will get put on the other team, but just have them switch teams as the game progresses. It may take a little bit of time but that is how it is without a matchmaking system. It's inconvenient but isn't a game breaker. You can really play any gametype to your liking. I find myself more playing conquest.

Feature

Banned
AA does so little damage to planes, fk me. It's called AA for a reason... especially the AA in the base seems to do no damage even when I spray for 5 (or more) seconds straight on an enemy chopper.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AA does so little damage to planes, fk me. It's called AA for a reason... especially the AA in the base seems to do no damage even when I spray for 5 (or more) seconds straight on an enemy chopper.
You have to lead the planes by quite a bit but the cannon rips them apart like paper. It might just be the spread if you're not firing in bursts.

Bingo.........

Errrrr . . .

U2NUMB

Conquest? Rush?

Help me out.

I play just about every night with a group of 4-7 on the 360 and it takes us less than one round to get onto the same team and we can normally stay there for hours together unless the other team all leaves right before the next match loads. It does take some skill and timing to get everyone to switch quickly but once everyone learned how to it is not that bad.

Of course it would be nice to not have to do this but this is how BF games have been handled on consoles for years. It is a weird mix of old school dedicated servers that just keep going from map to map with no stopping and they have tried to shoehorn in a matchmaking component. I was really hoping they would tweak it for BF3 but honestly it is not a big deal. Played 6 hours last night with 5 friends and only once did we have to back out and try again to get on the same team.

Biff

I had the same issue with an attack chopper the other day.

I was getting hit coins on this chopper while in AA for a solid 3 seconds, not exaggerating. The chopper was close range trying to missile me... Like within 100 feet.

Wtf? Every one of my bullets rip through him for 3 seconds, and I don't even get a clean mid-air kill. He gets disabled and explodes when he lands on the ground, but has enough time to unload an entire pod of rockets into me and kills me in the process. C'mon son.

Samb

Neo Member
Man, I hadn't played Battlefield in a few months and decided to go give it another shot. Decided to give a jet a try, thinking I might do reasonably okay, get a few kills and then get shot down and bail out at the last second.

Then, I kissed a helicopter and got shot down, and the jet which shot me immediately died from another kamikaze helicopter. I had to upload this due to the sheer ridiculousness of it all. I think I'll be playing for a while yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCnBLDZvebQ

Man, I hadn't played Battlefield in a few months and decided to go give it another shot. Decided to give a jet a try, thinking I might do reasonably okay, get a few kills and then get shot down and bail out at the last second.

Then, I kissed a helicopter and got shot down, and the jet which shot me immediately died from another kamikaze helicopter. I had to upload this due to the sheer ridiculousness of it all. I think I'll be playing for a while yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCnBLDZvebQ

Ha ha nice!

I was looking forward to a new patch today, only to find out it's only on PS3! What is this garbage?

LLShC.gif

Beware: Input lag 'fix' for PS3 doesn't fix input lag at all.
Game still sucks due to this and I'm sick of playing it in SD to get rid of the awful controls.

Screw this, I'm done with BF3.

Dries

So are these changes in the patch for the better or worse? I've never delved into the gun statistics, so I haven't got a clue.

scogoth

So are these changes in the patch for the better or worse? I've never delved into the gun statistics, so I haven't got a clue.

For better, hey are making the gun play more variable with attachments by having individually set modifiers instead of global modifiers. I'm sure there will be be some powerful combos still but it'll be much easier to balance in future patches now that gun stats are handled individually and not effectively copies with minuet differences.

Basically this is how the game was supposed to launch before EA stepped in and said, "we have a great fucking idea! How about you fuck the pc gamers and make the ps3 the lead platform and release the game 6 months ahead of schedule cause Sony payed us lots of money!"

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Can any good pilots help me out? I've been flying the attack helicopters a lot lately. I'm having a really hard time judging when to release my flares to avoid being tagged with a rocket.

I hear the beep beep beep sound and know someone is attempting to lock on me. Then I hear the solid beeping tone that indicates they are locked on. But I'm unsure what the next noise is that indicates they have fired their weapon. What sound should queue me to deploying my flares?

Is there a good video tutorial of this that I can watch?

MattDoza

Can any good pilots help me out? I've been flying the attack helicopters a lot lately. I'm having a really hard time judging when to release my flares to avoid being tagged with a rocket.

I hear the beep beep beep sound and know someone is attempting to lock on me. Then I hear the solid beeping tone that indicates they are locked on. But I'm unsure what the next noise is that indicates they have fired their weapon. What sound should queue me to deploying my flares?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHqQd2AcW0

That should help.

And once you unlock it, you should be using ECM Jammer, as the pilot. How to use it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcDhe-gNAR0

scogoth

There is a beeping the that indicates someone attempting to lock on. Once that tone goes solid they have a lock. When the missile is fired a new tone is played rapidly beeping indicating incoming missile. IIRC the second is higher it is also easy to distinguished by its much faster beep.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thanks Matt and Scogoth also thanks for the tip on the ECM Jammer I believe I have it unlocked so I will have to give it a try also.

mbmonk

So how is the game on PC months after release? Still have rubber banding issues?

I am thinking about picking it up though it would require some significant cash to upgrade my PC ( purchase Windows 7 + RAM ).

Current Rig
CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4
Video: Radeon HD 6850
RAM: 2 GB

So I am looking at a large chunk of change in order to play BF3. :(

So how is the game on PC months after release? Still have rubber banding issues?

I am thinking about picking it up though it would require some significant cash to upgrade my PC ( purchase Windows 7 + RAM ).

Current Rig
CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4
Video: Radeon HD 6850
RAM: 2 GB

So I am looking at a large chunk of change in order to play BF3. :(

You just need to OC that Q6600 to 3+ Ghz and OC the 6850, and add another 4+ GB of RAM. Then you'll be playing on High at good FPS.

More info on PC patch features:

On March 29, we are rolling out the big Spring game update for Battlefield 3 on PC! The focus of this massive package is to make the game more stable, fairer, and more balanced. You can find a comprehensive change list in this earlier post.

The ~1.6GB update will start rolling out at around 9AM UTC / 11 AM CET March 29. Below are some of the highlights.

New and improved commo rose

commorose.jpg

This update sees a number of improvements to the commo rose on PC, partially based on feedback from the community. Some of the tweaks we have made are detailed below:

New global call-outs

We have added a number of new commo rose call-outs that you can make to the entire team whenever you want. Where you previously had to look at a Support player to get the option to request ammo, you can now use the commo rose at any time to request ammo, health, or repairs. Using these requests will trigger appropriate icons on the minimap.

Moved orders to commo rose

We moved orders so that they are now exclusive to the commo rose. This means that you will no longer accidentally place an order when you in reality wanted to spot an enemy standing near a flag, for example.

Improved mouse handling

The mouse movement is now always tracked from the center of the commo rose, to make navigation more intuitive.

Quicker activation

You now activate a call-out simply by releasing Q, which should be snappier than the previous implementation.

Improved readability

We tweaked the layout and design of the commo rose to improve readability and give clearer and quicker confirmation of which call-out is currently highlighted.

The available call-outs in the commo rose is context sensitive and will change depending on what you are currently doing in the game – for example, vehicles and infantry each have separate call-outs. Each function should trigger appropriate voice messages as well as icons on the minimap for increased team play possibilities. Players should keep an eye on the minimap for these icons. If you see them flashing, a team mate is requesting aid via the commo rose.

callout.jpg

Look for these flashing icons on the mini map. They mean your team mates are trying to tell you something!

Improved minimap

After listening to community feedback, we have implemented alternative new ways to display the minimap. You can now choose between Map, Satellite or Hybrid view mode.

Map mode shows the most important tactical geometries such as buildings, objects, roads and water.
Satellite mode displays a top-down photograph of the level for increased terrain detail.
Hybrid mode combines the Satellite view with a Map overlay, offering a mix of quick tactical awareness and terrain detail.

You can change the minimap mode on the fly by pressing (this key is mappable). You can set your preferred default map mode in the Options menu, where you can also alter the opacity level for the satellite textures. See below for an example of how these map displays compare.

Minimap-Modes-2.png

Select the minimap display that suits your map and play style.

Beep beep! We have horns!

Yes! We have added horns to all jeeps in the game! Nothing says “Get in and man the machine gun so we can take back the airfield!” like three short beeps of the horn. Just press [SPACE] to make your presence known to friendly forces. Warning: Beeping also heard by opposition. Suggest limiting beeping when in enemy territory to keep vehicle in working order. This feature is also present in the PlayStation 3 update that went live yesterday (activated by L1).

Giving all players IR flares

To balance the battlefield and give budding pilots a fighting chance from day 1, we are now giving IR flares to all players. These will be automatically available to you in all air vehicles in the game. So if you’ve had a hard time staying up in the air previously, it should be easier to dodge incoming threats from now on. We hope this small but significant change will mean more players take to the skies and mix up their play style. This feature is also present in the PlayStation 3 update that went live yesterday.

More awards for skillful heli flying

One of the balancing items we have done in this game update is to better reward skillful heli pilots. To do this, we have increased the pilot’s score for transporting passengers who make kills from the heli. The assist score for heli pilots is now 50 points/kill. In a fully loaded transport, four passengers who make 1 kill each will give the pilot a sum total of 200 points. This balancing change is also present in the PlayStation 3 update that went live yesterday

Making the SOFLAM a passive income gadget

The Recon gadget SOFLAM (laser target painter) has been given a new feature. Now, when a Recon player places it and then leaves it, it will continue to paint targets entering its area of control, continuously giving the Recon player a passive points income. This means a Recon player can place a SOFLAM in a strategic position, then leave it to find a good sniping spot. Combined with fixing a few scoring error in the SOFLAM, it should now be a much more viable source of experience points for Recons. This balancing change is also present in the PlayStation 3 update that went live yesterday.

Suppressing is team play, too!

Another balancing change that reflects how we want every player to be able to contribute to the overall effort is the lowered threshold for achieving the Suppression Ribbon. From a previous requirement of 7, players now only need to perform 3 suppressions in a game to be rewarded the Suppression Ribbon. This means the Support Kit player can rack up scores by skillful use of his LMG. We’ve always know suppression helps – now we are more generously rewarding those team players who help disorient the enemy so we can move in for the kill. This balancing change is also present in the PlayStation 3 update that went live yesterday.

New to the game? Get a flying start with our new shortcut items

Today, we are also offering 10 different shortcut items for sale for Battlefield 3 on PC. If you’re new to the game, this is the perfect way to gain some ground on the veterans online. Or if you’d love to get your hands on those AA missiles for jets instantly, this is for you.

The 10 shortcut items are available now from Origin and include:

Kit Shortcut Bundle: Immediately unlocks all items unique to the four playable classes
Vehicle Shortcut Bundle: Immediately unlocks all items for all vehicles
The Ultimate Bundle: Immediately unlocks all items from all other available shortcut packs

We hope you enjoy the contents of this game update. As always , had to the Battlelog forums or discuss the update with us right here on the blog. See you on the battlefield!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Not bad. I assume it also includes all the other balance changes?

I also hope the map settings can be changed now by size/zoom combinations. As in large map is auto zoomed out.

What map do you guys think will work best? Hybrid or plain I imagine.

All of those changes are very welcome but should've been there day 1.

And the shortcuts bundle is ridiculous, but I guess it's worth if you want to play with all the toys.

mr_nothin

Banned
Welp...its not like i havent gotten used to passive soflams anyways. It would piss me off if they added that ability to the soflam...if it wasnt already like that but it is so I dont care.

Hybrid minimap is for me and being able to tweak the opacity sounds good. I cant wait until tomorrow! :D

And the shortcuts bundle is ridiculous, but I guess it's worth if you want to play with all the toys.
wait until you see the price!

yeah, it's like Battlefield 3 finally launched this week.

Top Bottom