• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Skeyser

Auto-spot range was reduced by a lot, I was aiming at a guy at maybe 20 meters away and there was no red arrow. Smoke might actually be useful now. I will miss blindly shooting at the arrow though :(

Auto-spot range was reduced by a lot, I was aiming at a guy at maybe 20 meters away and there was no red arrow. Smoke might actually be useful now. I will miss blindly shooting at the arrow though :(

But how will we keep the dorito population from growing out of control now?

Good Christ is the MI-28 a dream to fly now - I dunno if it's my imagination, but it now seems to maneouvre slightly faster than tha AH-1Z? I had an insane amount of fun on Caspian, and going NOE with the former flying brick just had me grinning from ear to ear, easily flying under the signboard on the highway to evade planes, etc.

The ECM DOES seem to work the same, i.e. it breaks radar locks as well as spoofing missiles. I'm really not sure of the repurcussions of this yet, but shit wasn't playing out the way it usually was when I had a quick round of Sharqi (people surviving shit that would previously be a 100% kill shot), so I think there may be more to the choice of flares vs ecm, which is interesting.

I don't like the changes to rockets though. It's nothing major, but this is the third time I've personally had to learn how to use them all over again since the game was released and it's getting old. They're supposed to "more accurate" but I could already hit anything from half the map away already, so big whoop. Also the new smoke trails personally make it a lot harder to see where they're hitting.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the new sound effects; there are now new noises when you take damage in a vehicle (which scared the shit out of me the first time I got hit), and some of the weapons seem different (e.g. tank machine guns).

DTKT

Good Christ is the MI-28 a dream to fly now - I dunno if it's my imagination, but it now seems to maneouvre slightly faster than tha AH-1Z? I had an insane amount of fun on Caspian, and going NOE with the former flying brick just had me grinning from ear to ear, easily flying under the signboard on the highway to evade planes, etc.

The ECM DOES seem to work the same, i.e. it breaks radar locks as well as spoofing missiles. I'm really not sure of the repurcussions of this yet, but shit wasn't playing out the way it usually was when I had a quick round of Sharqi (people surviving shit that would previously be a 100% kill shot), so I think there may be more to the choice of flares vs ecm, which is interesting.

I don't like the changes to rockets though. It's nothing major, but this is the third time I've personally had to learn how to use them all over again since the game was released and it's getting old. They're supposed to "more accurate" but I could already hit anything from half the map away already, so big whoop. Also the new smoke trails personally make it a lot harder to see where they're hitting.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the new sound effects; there are now new noises when you take damage in a vehicle (which scared the shit out of me the first time I got hit), and some of the weapons seem different (e.g. tank machine guns).

Yeah, the sound when a tank gets hit by a tank shell is pretty good.

Good patch overall. Choppers are still extremely weak versus AA.

They completely nerfed the MAV. I guess I can safely uninstall this game.

Lol. GTFO. Out of my 150+ hours of BF3, my squadmates MAV came in useful literally one time and it was on OP Metro.

Otherwise, MAV users are just useless to me and should switch to a real mans kit to take some objectives.

Some impressions from the Symthic forums. These are just impressions, not actual stat-based commentary:

The Tunguska is now USELESS against infantry.

It took me a 2 second burst with all hit markers to drop a guy in it earlier. Seems unaffected against other vehicles, even more effetive against choppers due to the lockon improvements.

So everyone can see this: new realistic sound effects when you get hit, you can see the laser designator from the thrid seat if you're being targeted, so far it doesn't seem like rpg's can wreck you much fast but only thorough experience will confirm this, killing/being killed other tanks is faster, I shot one rpg into the top of a tank and it got disabled so maybe it is weaker, slower speeds I think, gunners gun is now slower and sounds different, along with the other visual changes the crosshair for your cannon is different slightly.

You can no longer shot while transitioning to kneel or prone. Prior you were able to shoot through the movement. Now you can not fire a round until the transition is complete. This is something that I would do quite a bit in certain situations. I caught myself doing it and getting caught not being able to shoot. I will have to break that habit.

And Yes, in general I think the G3 is a completely new gun.
I still havent got into enough fire fights to give a verdict on the inaccuracy while moving in ADS.
It's hard to judge weither it's the gun itself, because there's alsdo a higher suppresion effeect from the opponents shots.
But the bullet speed with Hbar is absolutely amazing. I'd really like to see the exact number if they can be pulled.
I double tapped a guy on the run at approx 100m yesterday, and it was like "Yes, this is what this gun is all about".

Skeyser

You can no longer shot while transitioning to kneel or prone. Prior you were able to shoot through the movement.

This one is not accurate, at least on PC. I just tested it and you can fire while transitioning to crouch without any issue. It doesn't work for prone, but I'm pretty sure it didn't work pre-patch either.

The g3 is indeed a beast now, very accurate at all range, you can mow down people in full auto at mid range easily. In CQC all it take is 2 bullets to kill if you get 1 headshot. Definitely on par with the other AR now.

Lol. GTFO. Out of my 150+ hours of BF3, my squadmates MAV came in useful literally one time and it was on OP Metro.

Otherwise, MAV users are just useless to me and should switch to a real mans kit to take some objectives.

you never found my MAV kills to be useful? i'm ... i'm ... so HURT!!!

*runs with tears in eyes*

Spl1nter was a damned good MAV'er, but he's dead now. RIP.

This one is not accurate, at least on PC. I just tested it and you can fire while transitioning to crouch without any issue. It doesn't work for prone, but I'm pretty sure it didn't work pre-patch either.

The g3 is indeed a beast now, very accurate at all range, you can mow down people in full auto at mid range easily. In CQC all it take is 2 bullets to kill if you get 1 headshot. Definitely on par with the other AR now.

Good to know. I don't like games that restrict stuff like that. If the trigger is pulled, the gun should fire.

Can't wait to use the G3.

Have they fixed the TV Guided missiles for the attack choppers yet?

What's wrong with them? I haven't had any issues, even pre-patch.

Oh shit, just realized you can see your own ping now :eek:

Yeah, PC UI got some polish, overall. Particularly in the squad/deploy screen.

Have they fixed the TV Guided missiles for the attack choppers yet?

What's wrong with them? I haven't had any issues, even pre-patch.

Well, this is on PC, but since day one there has been a bug with the TV missiles where firing them will randomly cause the missile to somehow hit the helicopter it was launched from, killing you and your pilot. It seems to spawn inside/touching the helicopter instead of in front of it so it collides with the very vehicle that fired it. Video here.

They've "fixed" this in EVERY patch so far and it still happens. It's now much less likely to occur, but still happens around 1 in 20 shots. I played for about 40 minutes this evening and it happened multiple times to me.

On the plus side, I'm almost certain I got some one hit tv missiles kills on tanks by hitting the rear armour, and that was against vehicles that had either no or at least very little damage taken (no smoke at all), and that wasn't possible before the patch.
Also got a sweet tv plane kill tonight!

Skeyser

hum is there a reason B2k maps don't give conquest ribbons anymore? I've played a couple of Karkand/sharqui rounds and I didn't get the usual play a conquest/win a conquest ribbons.

I noticed a new command in the config file.

GstRender.ConsoleAntiAlias 1

Turned it off but my performance is still shit... WTF DICE, this was running so well...

Also, Jets feel more maneuverable, and there's some new sounds effects as well.

akira28

So upon further inspection, they took off certain perks like a silencer for the Jackhammer and certain weapons that had a 12x scope no longer have the option. That kind of sucks. I mean, silencers on a shotgun are one thing, I get that but a 12x on an Assault rifle like my l85 or my g53, it's not as inconceivable. I had gotten so used to using them, I now hate to do without them.

I'm not sure how I feel about these new tweaks.

Actually it was intended to kill people, that's why they had a kill count for it. They just didn't intend to make it as effective as it was

And the repair bot too, sure, but being able to kill with something, and using it as a swift killing machine are two different things.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Anybody notice the smoother framerates? I was playing at work on a 480 and the framerate was noticeably better. Love the new comma rose.

you never found my MAV kills to be useful? i'm ... i'm ... so HURT!!!

*runs with tears in eyes*
Well the time I was referencing, was one time when you were using a mav on Metro and its proximity detector really did help me to clear out the locker room area. Other than that...... :p
Damn, you sure told me.

Oh Nabs, I didn't mean to hurt any feelings. I just have a lot of spite for the MAV and the recon class in general.

Skeyser

The AEK is still very strong, I played a couple TDM with it and honestly it feels pretty much like pre-patch. Even at medium-long range it was pretty accurate when fired in ~5 rounds bursts.

Maybe I was just lucky, you'd think it would be significantly worse considering the gun was nerfed along with the foregrip/silencer which I used too.

aznpxdd

For some reason every 2 minutes or so my BF3 would alt tab itself out and jump into windowed mode. Very fucking annoying, anyone know what might be causing this?

DTKT

For some reason every 2 minutes or so my BF3 would alt tab itself out and jump into windowed mode. Very fucking annoying, anyone know what might be causing this?

Just a guess but, try closing the Battlelog when you are in a game.

Also, the Pecheneg with a bipod is incredibly accurate. In fact, anything with a bipod is insane. Too bad it's a really bad thing to use in most situations.

Sounds like another program is stealing focus away from it. Try disabling other stuff, or running the game in a borderless window.

The patch has really rocked my game-style. Healing a tank takes forever, and you take so much damned damage from everything...

ugh.

What kills jets? Seriously? I mean, good jet pilots? Other jets? Because I couldn't get a damned lock on one and hit it with CITV, a SOFLAM, or even a Stinger. The jet can wipe out my tank in less than half a pass--fine. What is the proper counter to the jet?

Maybe I just had an off night. Guys on here talk about laser accurate guns, and yet I couldn't hit the side of a barn tonight.

ugh. Also, tank machine gun seems far less accurate...

The patch has really rocked my game-style. Healing a tank takes forever, and you take so much damned damage from everything...

ugh.

What kills jets? Seriously? I mean, good jet pilots? Other jets? Because I couldn't get a damned lock on one and hit it with CITV, a SOFLAM, or even a Stinger. The jet can wipe out my tank in less than half a pass--fine. What is the proper counter to the jet?

Maybe I just had an off night. Guys on here talk about laser accurate guns, and yet I couldn't hit the side of a barn tonight.

Is it that bad now? Did they really nerf tanks? 'cause that's gonna make running our 3 man tank crew even shittier than it sometimes is.

I can't speak for any outgoing changes to the tank, but it does take forever to repair one now. The three-man tank super-squad is no longer viable. Those days will be remembered fondly.

demolitio

ugh.

Believe me, the jets used to be shit against ground targets which is why they made some tweaks. Tanks were never meant to be a threat to jets in the BF formula unless the jet is flying low. The only thing worthwhile was the laser guided missile and that missed half the time so now they finally pose a small threat to ground forces. Jets aren't meant to be taken out by every single ground vehicle like helos are and that's how it's been in previous games with the rock, paper, scissors formula.

AA vehicles basically control the jets since it can fire off multiple missiles quickly while still having a cannon to use against it. Stingers ARE effective if you keep an eye on the jet because it's all about picking the right time to fire at it. When a jet pops its flares due to another target locking onto him, that's when you want to take a shot at him while making sure the missile comes behind him. Don't shoot directly at an angle where the jet can evade with easy maneuvers so always make sure you have the advantage when firing.

A jet really isn't about a one on one fight but rather strength in numbers, coordinating with teammates, or timing it out perfectly when the jet is reloading. Tanks are easier to spot so the jet will have an easier time taking you out one on one than he would if you were an engineer somewhere on the cluttered ground and there's always other engineers firing too so just look to see when they fire and follow after that missile is evaded.

Some of those tips might be obvious but some don't use them. And about repairing the tanks, that's a good thing in my book because tank battles would go on for WAY TOO LONG when you just have engineers repairing you nonstop to where you never get low enough to blow up. It might have rewarded teamwork, but it did so in a way where a tank was able to survive most battles. Now the tanks really require more teamwork but don't make them so easy to survive engagements.

Hell, we were still having problems today with getting engineers to actually shoot at the tanks all at once so they still lived a long time, but it was due to our own team's stupidity and nothing else. Repairing is still good enough to keep you going through one on one battles or small attacks like that, but now tanks have shit to fear even with engineers.

Just my opinion though. I'm really liking this patch so far and how it brought back some of the old BF formula that's been missing and now the guns actually feel different and have recoil which is going to be hard to get used to, but will be for the better in the long run.

I can't speak for any outgoing changes to the tank, but it does take forever to repair one now. The three-man tank super-squad is no longer viable. Those days will be remembered fondly.

Exactly what I was talking about above. Perfect timing, lol.

Jac_Solar

Seems like they are putting in a pay to unlock feature today?

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1221913p1.html

"How much can you pay to play Battlefield 3? Here's a rundown on the Shortcut Bundles now on sale through Origin:
Vehicle Shortcut: $18
Engineer Shortcut: $7
Support Shortcut: $7
Assault Shortcut: $7
Recon Shortcut: $7
Kit Shortcut: $25
Ground Vehicle Shortcut: $10
Air Vehicle Shortcut: $10
Co-Op Weapons Shortcut: $5
Ultimate Shortcut: $25"

Top Bottom