• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

docbon

oh my jesus jets own so hard now.

added maneuverability makes mowing infantry down so easy when combined with a controller.

demolitio

oh my jesus jets own so hard now.

added maneuverability makes mowing infantry down so easy when combined with a controller.

Yup, they finally feel like a viable option for ground support. They definitely aren't unstoppable though and AA vehicles can make short work of them if they're smart while other times the other team will pick up on the need to take the jet out and finally launch a barrage of missiles at you so I never feel like I'm safe. It's finally at a point where jets are helpful to the team while still being vulnerable.

Hell, before this patch, jets were only helpful in taking out helos which are easily taken out by 50 other things anyway, so now they can contribute to the match.

I'm assuming we're talking about the normal jets and not the attack aircraft on Rush since they already kicked ass for a reason...lol

It'd be interesting to see if they give us an A-10 on CQ maps when the second DLC pack comes out that focuses on armor. I think that'd make for another interesting dynamic if you had the attack aircraft and then one normal fighter jet on each side too that basically covers his wingman. I expected that before BF3 came out actually.

Did I remember wrong or shouldn't the bolt action sniper rifles been buffed up at close range? Either I am a bad shooter or my understanding of close range and upper body is wrong. So far I did not manage to instant kill somebody at close range even though I hit the chest at close range.

shouts

Neo Member
Did I remember wrong or shouldn't the bolt action sniper rifles been buffed up at close range? Either I am a bad shooter or my understanding of close range and upper body is wrong. So far I did not manage to instant kill somebody at close range even though I hit the chest at close range.

Close range: 15 meters in upper chest I believe. That is if they ever implemented it? I don't really remember.

Gui_PT

So I was told the update is over 1GB in size?

How big is this game so far with the hd textures and all the updates? Like 18 GB?

Dear lord this is ridiculous and the game is far from being fixed

Woo-Fu

Banned

How big is this game so far with the hd textures and all the updates? Like 18 GB?

15.4 GB on disk, if you have B2K. I don't think that is bad at all, considering the number of maps and how large those maps are.

I didn't even notice the patch since Origin automatically updated the game for me. I went to play BF3 and voila! it was already patched.

Really? That is insane. When does the patch go live for the 360? (I put in the CD a few mins ago and it still hadnt kicked in for me :/)

MajorPain

Seems like they are putting in a pay to unlock feature today?

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1221913p1.html

"How much can you pay to play Battlefield 3? Here's a rundown on the Shortcut Bundles now on sale through Origin:
Vehicle Shortcut: $18
Engineer Shortcut: $7
Support Shortcut: $7
Assault Shortcut: $7
Recon Shortcut: $7
Kit Shortcut: $25
Ground Vehicle Shortcut: $10
Air Vehicle Shortcut: $10
Co-Op Weapons Shortcut: $5
Ultimate Shortcut: $25"

Only EA would stoop so low. This is truely a slap in the face to the Battlefield community.

paskowitz

My game freezes (no controller input, not even PS button, static screen, no sound) after I finish a match and I am about to go into the game summary screen (where medals, ribbons, dog tags, etc are rewarded). This did not happen immediately after the patch was installed, but once it started to happen, it happens every time? In order to play a round I have to force shut down my PS3 and restart the game. Suggestions?

Divius

Just played around with the ASVAL for a bit. It's still kind of a weird weapon to me. Sometimes I kill quite quickly with it, but other times I keep losing 1on1 shootouts time after time. The new extended mag is a very welcome change.

Also: They nerfed both the PKP Pecheneg and the M249 (iirc), my main Support-weapons, and I am leaning towards the Support class lately (can take out tanks, infinite ammo) but am unsure what weapon to use. Any suggestions?

Dakar

Banned
The patch has really rocked my game-style. Healing a tank takes forever, and you take so much damned damage from everything...

ugh.

What kills jets? Seriously? I mean, good jet pilots? Other jets? Because I couldn't get a damned lock on one and hit it with CITV, a SOFLAM, or even a Stinger. The jet can wipe out my tank in less than half a pass--fine. What is the proper counter to the jet?

Man, I couldn't possibly be less excited for this patch. It sounds like the dynamics of vehicles have completely changed. Not sure I hate USAS frag rounds and MAV elevators that much.

Feature

Banned
Disgusting what they did to tanks. Not only did they make them weaker, it takes so long to repair that you might as well bail out after 1 hit and make a run for it.

Also I killed a tank yesterday with my repair tool, it's health went down faster than killing it with a TV guided missile.

You people really that upset with paying for unlocks? This late in the game even? Im completly fine with, paying for exclusive weapons/skills, now thats what I have a problem with. Early unlocks? Meh, let them spend their money, not everyone has the time to play this for 300+ hours and those unlocks wont make you play better or unbalance the game.

Well the time I was referencing, was one time when you were using a mav on Metro and its proximity detector really did help me to clear out the locker room area. Other than that...... :p

Oh Nabs, I didn't mean to hurt any feelings. I just have a lot of spite for the MAV and the recon class in general.

well, the MAV really seems to be more useful to the team in RUSH... at least on PS3...

You people really that upset with paying for unlocks? This late in the game even? Im completly fine with, paying for exclusive weapons/skills, now thats what I have a problem with. Early unlocks? Meh, let them spend their money, not everyone has the time to play this for 300+ hours and those unlocks wont make you play better or unbalance the game.

if anything, the unlocks give balance to the n00bs. really, there should be no unlocks in the first place. just have everything available from the start and let people play.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Just played around with the ASVAL for a bit. It's still kind of a weird weapon to me. Sometimes I kill quite quickly with it, but other times I keep losing 1on1 shootouts time after time. The new extended mag is a very welcome change.

Also: They nerfed both the PKP Pecheneg and the M249 (iirc), my main Support-weapons, and I am leaning towards the Support class lately (can take out tanks, infinite ammo) but am unsure what weapon to use. Any suggestions?

The RPK. DICE seems to have messed up and gave the thing extended mags with 200 rounds so now it's a rock-steady LMG with a magazine reload time.

Dakar

Banned
well, the MAV really seems to be more useful to the team in RUSH... at least on PS3...
I'm not very good at Rush, but I've been trying lately (unlocks), and I did this most of one game and my team just seemed to mow down the opposition til the very last M-COM. I knew it was doing something once they started trying to shoot it down.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm not very good at Rush, but I've been trying lately (unlocks), and I did this most of one game and my team just seemed to mow down the opposition til the very last M-COM. I knew it was doing something once they started trying to shoot it down.

It helps a lot in Rush. Particularly if you learn some of the good spots to park it so its not destructible while providing detection (top of buildings or inaccessible areas).

I still wish a recon unlock would be the motion grenade from BC2. Toss it and let it work for 30 seconds. Maybe with one of the DLCs coming up.

Dakar

Banned
lol. The slap in the face to the Battlefield community is the horrible unlock system. They should have offered shortcuts from the get-go.
Funny, I was thinking I don't mind them doing this now, but I'd have been more aggravated with people buying their way to dominance Day 1.

Makoto

Funny, I was thinking I don't mind them doing this now, but I'd have been more aggravated with people buying their way to dominance Day 1.
Yeah, I shouldn't have said they needed to offer shortcuts from the get-go but rather, they should not have made the unlock system such a timesink.

Patch has fixed my main issue with the game: the lag bombs I got when sprinting, which is fantastic.

The only issue I still have now is my guns not making noise. For example, bullets land near me. Screen goes blurry, sound becomes muffled as usual. But then the screen returns to normal, and it can be whole minutes before the sound of my gun firing returns at all. I can hear everything else as normal.

I don't know what to think of this patch. I like what they fixed, but I'm having a really strong reaction against the suppression increase, which to me feels like they went a bit overboard with it. I like the concept, but I'd also like it to be dialed back a good amount. I dont think SMGs should surpress you as much as MGs

They should of also left tanks alone, they were fine prepatch.

Skeyser

Only EA would stoop so low. This is truely a slap in the face to the Battlefield community.

I would have paid the 5 bucks for the Coop weapons if I didn't have them already, the 2-3 hours it took to get the G3 were boring as hell.

The other bundles would just ruin the whole fun of levelling and trying the new guns once you unlock them though.

Still takes so long to switch to secondary weapon.
They also nerfed the PKP way too much :(
And the sniper rifles have an AWFUL bug http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FQQA3KwyO8 where the bullet is not landing where you aim.

This is terrible, 3 months and it seems like they did no testing at all.

God im about to bail out, cant have fun with this game outside of TDM and even then TDM exposes their shitty hit detection lag compensation, even when I have a ping less than 30 :(

God im about to bail out, cant have fun with this game outside of TDM and even then TDM exposes their shitty hit detection lag compensation, even when I have a ping less than 30 :(

aROnq.gif

Deadly

And the sniper rifles have an AWFUL bug http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FQQA3KwyO8 where the bullet is not landing where you aim.

Besides the L96 problem he mentions I don't see what's wrong? And if you're playing BF3 for TDM, you've got the wrong game...

Besides the L96 problem he mentions I don't see what's wrong? And if you're playing BF3 for TDM, you've got the wrong game...

Thats the problem, I just to play Conquest exclusively in BC2, but in BF3 I just cant have fun with it, im not sure what it is, I was really hoping this patch was going to fix the jankyness of the movement in general and balance the weapons better but it doesnt seem to be the case.

I wish I could go back to BC2 but it seems like all that is left is 24/7 servers, sigh :(

redhot_

Donos

raaaage, so i just had my best round ever on caspian with 41/20 and a crapload of points with only 100 tickets left and a 10000 points medals bonus and this fucking game just exits. -_- 4th time after the patch. Game was without freezes and hiccups for me before patch and now i'm lucky if i finish a 1000 ticket game.
Fix this shit GG !

scogoth

raaaage, so i just had my best round ever on caspian with 41/20 and a crapload of points with only 100 tickets left and a 10000 points medals bonus and this fucking game just exits. -_- 4th time after the patch. Game was without freezes and hiccups for me before patch and now i'm lucky if i finish a 1000 ticket game.
Fix this shit GG !

Lol your problem is 1000tix server

-Amon-

Well after some good hours of play afterpatch on ps3 I'm not that sold on this patch.

Good things:

MAV back to reconassaince.

Infantry can effectively counter choppers.They where invincible before on maps with no mechanized antiair.

Game feels really responsive with antialias off.

Mortar rate of fire decreased. Mortar spam on metro and bazaar stopped

Great upgrade to minimap.

Engineer repair speed lowered. Now it's dangerous to repair a tank,you have to go to a secure place first.

Bad things:

Suppression effect is too much now.
Recoil is off the chart.
Takes ages to kill with assault rifles from long range.
Tanks too weak against RPG
Engineer was overpowered before but now can kill air too.And easier life against tanks.Too many of them around now.
Tanks armor too weak.

Mental

Does anyone else get this message when they try to start multiplayer(Xbox 360 version):

Code:
[B]ERROR[/B]

The connection with EA Online was lost.

So I haven't played really in the past ~2 months or so. Why aren't there many servers running B2K maps anymore? >_> (I'm filtering CQ/CQA/64, btw)

That's not a bug, that's the new upper chest one-shot kill (at less than 15m) that's been introduced for the bolt actions. From the patch notes:
Bolt action sniper rounds now have a chance to kill at close range if the player is hit in the upper chest.
http://blogs.battlefield.com/2012/0...playstation-3-xbox-360-and-pc-will-come-soon/

Top Bottom