• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

demolitio

Fucking gorgeous maps. They aren't that bad to play either as long as you don't go overboard with the playercount in Gun Master. I was in a 48 player server for the Conquest mode and it was fine, chaotic but fun. That same server for Gun Master was a mess where there was no place for people to spawn so it was messy.

I ended up winning still but like 6 levels so it was still fun to me. Just don't go into 64 player servers and expect to have a fun time with no frustration. It's best played with 32 or so players for the Conquest and even a few less for Gun Master.

Don't let that retract from the actual fun to be had in these maps. They are the best looking MP maps I've ever seen, specifically the old factory/mill one with two sides. It's insanely pretty. Gameplay is great if you enjoy the infantry combat and it should help give the game some variety while all of us true BF nuts wait for Armoured Kill. It's just more things to do in this game to keep it fresh really.

So of course we all wanted the vehicle packs first, but don't let that stop you from enjoying these if you like the gunplay. I hated Metro but I'm having fun with these maps.

lionelhutz

I just built a new PC and made the switch from the 360 version. I'm having a lot of random disconnects through Origin. I will launch the game, deploy, and within 2-3 minutes I'm kicked out due to a connection issue. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? I have had a few sessions where I'm not booted, but so far it's the exception instead of the norm.

This is the error message I receive from the Game Manager:

Game disconnected: your connection to the server timed out.

Glassboy

That was pretty fun. I played 15 matches and won 14 of them. My SPM went from 498 to 518. Not too shabby. Oh yeah, the maps are very fun too as long as the player count is not too high (32 felt pretty good for me). I didn't encounter any choke points that are as bad as the ones in Metro. There are a ton of ways to attack the different objectives. Overall, I am quite pleased.

D_Star

Neo Member
Have you tried disabling/closing your virus scanner before booting the game?

Some of my friends and also myself were having a lot of these issues until we started to disable our virus scanner during gaming sessions. This fixed these connection issues in 99% of the cases.

demolitio

That was pretty fun. I played 15 matches and won 14 of them. My SPM went from 498 to 518. Not too shabby. Oh yeah, the maps are very fun too as long as the player count is not too high (32 felt pretty good for me). I didn't encounter any choke points that are as bad as the ones in Metro. There are a ton of ways to attack the different objectives. Overall, I am quite pleased.

Agreed, there's no real funneling going on since you can attack from all sides on most of the points. Some might be locked down, but there's other ways around their ambush making it a lot of fun to flank.

lionelhutz

Have you tried disabling/closing your virus scanner before booting the game?

Some of my friends and also myself were having a lot of these issues until we started to disable our virus scanner during gaming sessions. This fixed these connection issues in 99% of the cases.

I have not. The only thing I run is Windows Security Essentials and it seems pretty non-intrusive compared to a Norton or McAfee scanner. I'll try it next time and see if it helps. Thanks.

Izayoi

Banned
I actually kind of like the maps.

They're all crazy gorgeous, and have a lot of vertical lines of sight.

Gun Game is always fun, almost won a few but I'm really struggling with the LVG, very hard to get a kill without being lucky on smaller player count servers.

Not sold on Conquest Domination yet. Takes the emphasis off of teamwork and places it more on kill, kill, kill - Call of Duty did it better (as ironic as that sounds).

Spl1nter

This is the error message I receive from the Game Manager:

Game disconnected: your connection to the server timed out.

Update punkbuster manually. Can find out how to on their website. If still getting kicked than need to change some settings on your router most likely.

Any suggestions on the router settings to check?

TYFf2.png

D_Star

Neo Member
Well, a good start would be to put your PC's IP address in your router's DMZ. Just google your way into doing that, settings you need to change depend on the brand and type of router that you are using.

Also, Punkbuster (and I suppose Origin as well) uses specific ports (once again, google is your friend), forwarding these ports would be a good idea as well.

Although, as I'm typing this, I can't remember me adjusting my router settings for this game - or for any game for that matter. Chances are it's something simpler. What kind of error message are you getting from battlelog?

Also, as suggested above: have you tried manually updating Punkbuster?

Well, a good start would be to put your PC's IP address in your router's DMZ. Just google your way into doing that, settings you need to change depend on the brand and type of router that you are using.

Also, Punkbuster (and I suppose Origin as well) uses specific ports (once again, google is your friend), forwarding these ports would be a good idea as well.

Although, as I'm typing this, I can't remember me adjusting my router settings for this game - or for any game for that matter. Chances are it's something simpler. What kind of error message are you getting from battlelog?

You should never do that. That's like leaving your house door open.

Fucking gorgeous maps. They aren't that bad to play either as long as you don't go overboard with the playercount in Gun Master. I was in a 48 player server for the Conquest mode and it was fine, chaotic but fun. That same server for Gun Master was a mess where there was no place for people to spawn so it was messy.

I ended up winning still but like 6 levels so it was still fun to me. Just don't go into 64 player servers and expect to have a fun time with no frustration. It's best played with 32 or so players for the Conquest and even a few less for Gun Master.

Don't let that retract from the actual fun to be had in these maps. They are the best looking MP maps I've ever seen, specifically the old factory/mill one with two sides. It's insanely pretty. Gameplay is great if you enjoy the infantry combat and it should help give the game some variety while all of us true BF nuts wait for Armoured Kill. It's just more things to do in this game to keep it fresh really.

So of course we all wanted the vehicle packs first, but don't let that stop you from enjoying these if you like the gunplay. I hated Metro but I'm having fun with these maps.

Pics???

lionelhutz

I manually updated PB so I'll see if that helps. I've never had to adjust router settings before either so hopefully this fixes the problem. This is PC gaming just as how I remember it...

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
I don't think aimbotting is as prolific as people think. I get accused of cheating pretty much every game I play even though I am most definitely not. It's possible to make 600-800m kills on a regular basis, it just takes lots of practice and a low latency (and using the M98B on hardcore).

Aimbotting isn't so much an issue as wallhacking and spothacking. Aside from it being much less obvious than aimbotting, it's easier for some people to justify to themselves since it's just "an edge" or they only turn it on "when their team sucks" or something like that. Aimbotting is much easier to spot, some guy shooting you in the back as you try and sneak behind enemy lines will more likely evoke a "Oh, someone must have spotted me" thing. But it happens enough where I know it would be impossible (due to controlling line of sight and knowing the map). It happened more once premium hit (new weapons and such), so I'm not sure. I think most hackers just want to get all the things without regard to how they get them. I know I work to break the game in RPGs like Skyrim so I can get all the phat loot.

docbon

i feel the handling the LSAT has made my physically ill.

The maps are awesome though. since the maps arent nearly as noisy with 16 players, you can hear footsteps and blast enemies through the walls. as an added bonus, i get to see the ultra lens flare that is the sun a lot less.

Surprised to see good GAF impressions of CQ. Received a lot of vitriol here when shown, from myself included. Hopefully I'll get to try it tonight.

CatPee

CQ maps aren't as bad as I thought and they look ridiculously good. 24-man CQD is good fun in bursts. Gun Master is a clusterfuck beyond that many players though.

Agreed, there's no real funneling going on since you can attack from all sides on most of the points. Some might be locked down, but there's other ways around their ambush making it a lot of fun to flank.

yeah, one positive thing about the maps is there are tons of flanking opportunities and different looks at all the flag positions on all of the maps

Anyone else having trouble sometimes when loading a CQ match? Like it would keep saying "loading level" for far too long?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it fixed. I think

Facism

yup, the spawns are pretty dire. If you stand still where you spawn on any of the maps, within 5 seconds a guy on the enemy team runs past you as they just spawned in the next room.

I find that 16 players is the sweet spot. Chaotic, but plenty of space for tactics. 24 seems far too busy; I can't even imagine 32 player.

MGHA

I played in the new close quarters maps with a friend of mine. We joined a 64 player server and by the time the round was done. Over half of the players were kicked or banned by punkbuster for hacking, aim bots mainly. Went from 64 players to about 28.

Facism

apart from the spawn issues, i'm enjoying the maps too. It's nice to have a bit of variety in gameplay.

Gunmaster is a quality mode. Just won my 3rd game of it. Had to stalk the enemy 3 times with the knife to get that last kill, but the first 2 times i got shot up before the kill animation completes. The 3rd time i tracked a guy for 30 seconds before he stopped to check round a corner and bam, throat slit, game is mine.

The cq mode reminds me of C&H in Killzone 2, but not as good.

Top Bottom