• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So erhm, where can I buy close quarters separately? I can only find battlefield 3 premium on origin and I don't want to fork out the equivalent of 70 usd right now.

edit : wait... that's right, battlefield premium 1 week exclusivity right? So that means I can buy CQ map pack in 1 week?

So erhm, where can I buy close quarters separately? I can only find battlefield 3 premium on origin and I don't want to fork out the equivalent of 70 usd right now.

edit : wait... that's right, battlefield premium 1 week exclusivity right? So that means I can buy CQ map pack in 1 week?

2 weeks

It's two weeks of exclusivity I believe. Was planning on buying the expansions individually too as I wasn't sure BF3 would hold my interest into 2013, but with the India price I decided to jump in.

Just played my first whole round of close quarters, that mode where you get better weapons as you kill, that was fantastic. Didn't expect it to be as fun as it was. Of course won the round. ;)

Was so satisfying getting that last kill with the knife.

Just played my first whole round of close quarters, that mode where you get better weapons as you kill, that was fantastic. Didn't expect it to be as fun as it was. Of course won the round. ;)

Was so satisfying getting that last kill with the knife.

Gun Game was excellent in CS, BLOPS and now BF3. I don't know why all FPSs don't include it.

MrBig

Played a few games of CQ yesterday and it was pretty good.
I'm still not used to using KB/M for a FPS so it's going to take me a while. For now I'm switching between 360 controller and KB/M every few deaths.
That old argument is bolsh btw, I'm doing perfectly fine with a controller, although I used to get at least a top 5 position on 360, now I usually get placed somewhere in the upper middle. Have only played by myself so far.
Need to buy a mic; recommendations?

I'm still not used to using KB/M for a FPS so it's going to take me a while. For now I'm switching between 360 controller and KB/M every few deaths.
That old argument is bolsh btw, I'm doing perfectly fine with a controller, although I used to get at least a top 5 position on 360, now I usually get placed somewhere in the upper middle. Have only played by myself so far.

Most definitely not. It fully applies here, you may have been playing with a poor group of PC players. The added precision and the ability to quickly turn that the mouse offers means that they dominate the pads. Not saying that I don't prefer the controller for most genres, just that for FPSs the argument definitely is not bollocks.

Spl1nter

Standalone mic or headset?

MrBig

Most definitely not. It fully applies here, you may have been playing with a poor group of PC players. The added precision and the ability to quickly turn that the mouse offers means that they dominate the pads. Not saying that I don't prefer the controller for most genres, just that for FPSs the argument definitely is not bollocks.
I'll post about it again when I get more used to KB/M.

Standalone mic or headset?

I've got a pair of ATH-M50s so just a standalone mic

Spl1nter

I'll post about it again when I get more used to KB/M.

I've got a pair of ATH-M50s so just a standalone mic

Harder to find, probably best to ask in the PC Harware thread.

I think the key to the new maps is to play defensively if you want to win. Had a lot of fun for the single round I went support with C4. You can cover the entire point and than go cover one of the flanking routes.

Im suprised by how well a variety of play styles work on these maps. They are all well designed.

Shockingly, Call of Duty without all of the post CoD4-bullshit, is actually pretty good.

This is essentially just that.

Yeah, it's pretty damned satisfying. I really like BF's gunplay and the levels/destruction highlight it for me. I also feel like I'm having less "run around corner and die" deaths.

And maybe it's just because it's the first day, but the levels are actually large enough and have enough paths that I have experienced any rocket or M320 spam. It's just not efficient. I had trouble trying to get M320/Rocket kills for the new assignments, almost went back to Metro just to grind it out.

I think these maps are PERHAPS (lol) what DICE was aiming for when they said that players like mayhem. The matches can get fucking nuts (haven't tried Gunmaster yet) but I never feel like I'm in a grind. I wonder if Metro servers will start dying off. I got just as many points playing CQ DM in ~15 minutes as I did playing CQ in 30-40 minutes.

Hellcrow

Thought I was going to finally do that mortar assignement thing. I got kicked from several servers before I even got a kill =|.

schnell

I don't really like CQ tbh. But I've only played a few hours and play COD on the side on 360. I guess I like to keep my Battlefield and Call of Duty separate. But damn if gun game doesn't get your blood flowing and adrenaline pumping, you just can't let up or you lose. It was worth it just for the gametype.

Deadbeat

Banned
Will they ever fix the knife? I just got knifed by a guy running straight towards me. I was shooting him and then all of a sudden the game turns me sideways and proceeds with the takedown animation. How does that even work?

Will they ever fix the knife? I just got knifed by a guy running straight towards me. I was shooting him and then all of a sudden the game turns me sideways and proceeds with the takedown animation. How does that even work?

Isn't there a tricky "front-side" angle you can get a knife kill from? Either that or maybe you lagged and he was right beside you. You can be to someone's left or right and get the one-shot.

Deadbeat

Banned
The game physically turned me though. He was still a meter infront of me when it happened.

Doesnt matter in the end because its dice netcode. I was running behind some guy and it just pulled him back 3 meters for me to do the takedown animation. The knife is an odd fellow. Does many magical things.

I have never seen or heard of that happening until now.

Smokey

So I'm not the only one having battlelog issues....

I reset my password and can log into Origin fine...but not battlelog...

nyong

Banned
Oh, sweet...so that explains it. I spent close to $100 on a game that requires me to open a website to play. And that website is down. And my account is locked.

I fucking hate EA and really should have known better.

(bought today, btw..I figured given that it's been out for so long they'd have server problems ironed out)

EDIT: Oh sweet...and 15 minutes on hold before getting randomly disconnected before speaking with a live person.

EDIT: Oh sweet...I finally was able to get the password server to load after the billionth F5. Password successfully reset! SO WHY DOES IT STILL NOT WORK!!! (/plays Saints Row 3)

Oh, sweet...so that explains it. I spent close to $100 on a game that requires me to open a website to play. And that website is down. And my account is locked.

I fucking hate EA and really should have known better.

(bought today, btw..I figured given that it's been out for so long they'd have server problems ironed out)

What?

Blog working here btw.

*edit* Nm, can't join servers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just found out that CQ has Gun Game so that's bought as soon as it's standalone on PSN. Been looking to get back into this and after the patch and this DLC seems like a lot of fun.

MrBig

Gun Master is pretty fun, but the magnum is a choke point for me sometimes.

Not a fan of Donya but the other CQ maps are pretty great for their respective gametypes.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick question since I haven't been able to find a good answer, does the patch help the input lag on PS3 enough so that having AA on is viable again?

Top Bottom