• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

So now the game doesnt even launch, it just freezes my computer as soon as I get into a game, I can't find anyone else on the forums who's having my issue and live support is super helpful with advising me to upgrade my drivers. I am bummed.

RiverBed

Banned
They added color-blind support in the latest patch. I'm color blind. Anyone know how to enable the option on PS3? It is hard for me to sometimes distinguish the color-codes between friend and foe.

Thanks.

- Your fellow color-blind BF player.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anyone else getting thrown out of games a lot today/last night?

It just closes then the browser window says disconnected from EA Online (1) or whatever.

Clicking reconnect brings up could not find server, I have to close all windows and restart the game to get back in.

Edit: just read the last page. Yeah, it also wouldn't log me in for a while last night. Figures, just as I start getting into it too...

Does this shit happen often?

lionelhutz

Anyone else getting thrown out of games a lot today/last night?

It just closes then the browser window says disconnected from EA Online (1) or whatever.

Clicking reconnect brings up could not find server, I have to close all windows and restart the game to get back in.

Edit: just read the last page. Yeah, it also wouldn't log me in for a while last night. Figures, just as I start getting into it too...

Does this shit happen often?

Only got booted twice last night. Once when the servers went down, and then right after they went back up. Played for about 1-2 hours after that without any issues.

I've had a lot of disconnects over the past week and (I hope) I've narrowed the issue down to the Windows firewall settings. I want the new expansion pack, but I'm not spending any more money on the game until I know it's working consistently.

Haven't had any disconnects since the patch.

I suck at Gun Master. I don't know how I'm ever gonna get that fucking M5K.

Anyone down for a NeoGAF night sometime this week or weekend?

DarkFlow

Banned
Haven't had any disconnects since the patch.

I suck at Gun Master. I don't know how I'm ever gonna get that fucking M5K.

Anyone down for a NeoGAF night sometime this week or weekend?
I did it on a 16 player server that only had like 8 people. Kill enough to be 5th and find the leader and let him kill you to end it quickly.

MrBig

So the Jet has loadout customization for a gunner position on the PC version, is there a reason for that or was it unintentional?

So should I buy the PC version for $40? I loved BC2 and 1943 on consoles, but I have no experience with the mainline PC games.

I think Gamefly will have BF3 for $30 on June 19. It was on sale for that price a couple of days ago and will go back on sale the 19th supposedly. I may jump on that at that price.

I just wish premium wasn't $50.

kitch9

Banned
So now the game doesnt even launch, it just freezes my computer as soon as I get into a game, I can't find anyone else on the forums who's having my issue and live support is super helpful with advising me to upgrade my drivers. I am bummed.

Origin messed up my download of Close Quarters and it would freeze on the loading screen..... Only way I could fix it was to delete the game folder and re-download it. Fortunately I had the game on another PC so I could just copy it across on a flash drive. Have you tried right clicking the game on Origin and selecting repair install? It didn't work for me but it might for you.

CQ is a godsend for me - I'm utterly abysmal with any of the vehicles in this game, so more opportunity for infantry-only action suits me fine. All the maps are great too, but especially Ziba Tower & Donya Fortress. Scrapmetal is good fun, but requires a bit more team work, while Operation 925 hasn't come up for me too often, only played it twice, I think.

I think most poeple are suprised by the quality of the four maps in the pack. Based off past DICE map design in BF3 small maps and MOH, I didnt expect good maps.

Yeah, this. They all have solid, intuitive, and easy to learn map designs...and they still managed to make them pretty non-linear as far as flanking options go. 925 (I think that's the one) has the "worst" flow of them all, but that's not to say it's bad, just not as focused.

derFeef

I think most poeple are suprised by the quality of the four maps in the pack. Based off past DICE map design in BF3 small maps and MOH, I didnt expect good maps.

Yeah they seem well designed. The only one I did not like that much is the scrapyard-y one on the roofs.

Gun Master is cool, but they really need to reward you with more points. I'm averaging like 7000 points in CQD and barely 1000 in any given GM game.

Gun Master is pretty fun, but I'd rather not have to run through the same set of weapons each time. Need more RPGs/smoke launcher/etc. I also wish they would have GM on all of the TDM maps rather than jsut the CQ maps.

Effect

Does anyone think these DLC modes will have staying power on the PC side? Would they just end up fracturing the player base? Premium seems like a good buy for the content but if the DLC only last a few weeks in terms of popularity before the new version comes out and is never played again it would seem like a waste of money in the long run.

Does anyone think these DLC modes will have staying power on the PC side? Would they just end up fracturing the player base? Premium seems like a good buy for the content but if the DLC only last a few weeks in terms of popularity before the new version comes out and is never played again it would seem like a waste of money in the long run.

I really hope they're planning on making more CQ maps. 4 won't last, by a long shot, especially since it's the only mode and maps that can be played.

Roche

So I'm thinking of buying this whole premium deal, I hate the idea of it but I think I play BC3 to warrant it. What's BF gaf's consensus on the deal?

So I'm thinking of buying this whole premium deal, I hate the idea of it but I think I play BC3 to warrant it. What's BF gaf's consensus on the deal?

If you were planning on picking up the other packs then you should just get it. If you weren't going to get 1 or 2 of them then you probably shouldn't get it.

It really depends on how much you play. This is the only FPS game I play regularly so in the end I figured the benefits were worth it. CQC has actually been surprisingly good so far with pretty good map design. It has worked out pretty well despite the fact that BF3 mechanics aren't really meant for small maps.

CQDM is a point factory mode, so yeah, that will always be popular.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Some good rounds and some not so good rounds tonight. Some involved troll loadouts from enemy teams. What really blows is getting pubstomped and half the server leaves in frustration. Then you get pubstomped again because now it's just 4 of you of questionable skill against an organized squad. I DO have some interesting tactics I've picked up since This thing launched though. Honestly, because it's so fast paced it's damn near impossible to get some really good squad level tactics going. I kind of wish there was something a bit slower, like a 16 man rush mode.

Before I post these, I wanna say please don't post them elsewhere. Like I want this to get publicized on Reddit or something. This is a treat for my GAF bros:

Ziba Tower
Best objectives to hold: Bravo, Charlie
Map Type: Symmetrical U design.
Bravo and Charlie both present points that are easy to attack and defend with proper backup. No one seems to want to defend Charlie for long, so losing it is no big deal. Alpha's main approach is a single corridor of death while the side entrances are in easy firing range. Also a grenade magnet since it's so small so it's undesirable. Keep to the outside, move across the courtyard only if necessary. While it can be easy to cross, you're not likely to get across without getting spotted and at least nicked. Be wary of enemies around corners with SPAS12s because this map may have someone lurking behind any corner.

Donya Fortress
Best objectives to hold: Alpha, Bravo
Map Type: Linear symmetrical design.
Charlie is a giant tango magnet which is very difficult to defend or even take due to how out in the open it is. Keep pressure and cap when opportunity arises, but holding Alpha, which is often ignored for some reason, will give you some buffer since it's not as accessible. Bravo can be a death trap if you let them in the tunnel, so keep light pressure on Charlie so that they don't get the bright idea to stick to Bravo or just go all the way to Alpha. The second floor also to be just a bit less occupied when moving around, but watch for groups right out of room Charlie. The courtyard is good for getting across, but be wary of death from any angle.

Scrap Metal
Best objectives to hold: Alpha, Bravo
Map Type: Asymmetrical vertical U design.
I used to dislike this map because things can be hard to see with the high contrast and the difficulty of traversing from Alpha to Bravo. It almost felt metro-esque in how the map seems to direct flow between Alpha and Bravo through Charlie. This makes Charlie a very difficult point to hold for more than two seconds at any time, and it's verticality from both Alpha and Bravo make it impractical to defend it heavily. Therefore, I say let them have it. The pipes that cross the gap on the other side of the map from Charlie present an excellent point to travel between Alpha and Bravo. Hold those two areas and let your opponents get bogged down by climbing up all the time. You will kick ass.

Operation 925
Best Objectives to hold: Bravo, Charlie
Map Type: Linear asymmetrical design
This has been my favorite map so far. the flow is much more erratic here, and it's much more difficult to hold any single objective. However, due to how open Charlie is and how central Bravo is to the overall map, any two can work. I say Charlie and Bravo because Charlie is easy to clear from a ledge above. Most don't bother to look up there, and the ramp that leads up to that overlook is very conveniently located near the stairs to Bravo in the unfinished office space. Moving between these objectives to defend and hold is somewhat easier than fighting through the open and brightly lit offices or the darker, but still open garage. Creating a chokepoint near the stairs down to Bravo isn't difficult either, as only two or three well placed soldiers can hold down the area without too much issue. Just watch out for pincer movements coming from alpha and bravo directions.

Hope that makes sense and is useful. These are best when your team is on the same page, but if you have a competent team in the first place, running these solo shouldn't be too tricky either. Good luck out there! And please don't use it against me, use it with me! :p

Conquest Domination combined with the Double XP thing going on means I'm gaining levels like there's no tomorrow. Average of like 20K-60K depending on how long the match is.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, I'm a total noob, how do I know which gun is the best without getting any meaningful stats for them? I've unlocked all sorts of things but I'm still using the default stuff (mostly assault class) for now, just messing around with different accessories.

CatPee

So, I'm a total noob, how do I know which gun is the best without getting any meaningful stats for them? I've unlocked all sorts of things but I'm still using the default stuff (mostly assault class) for now, just messing around with different accessories.

There isn't really a 'best gun' for the Assault class. M16 and M416 are jack of all trades, master of none. AK-74, AUG A3, SCAR-L, KH2002, and AN-94 are super accurate but have slow fire rates and can suck at close range. G3A3 is good at all ranges thanks to its punch, but fire rate is still slow and it has plenty of recoil. FAMAS, AEK-971, and F2000 are great close-medium range. Heavy Barrel is pretty excellent on any of the guns.

derFeef

CQ certainly blowed new life into my BF3 play - so good. I am more of a support guy, but I still have tons of fun playing CQ.

OMG!

azlSM.jpg

SPAS-12!

That is all.

OMG!

azlSM.jpg

SPAS-12!

That is all.

It really does feel like it has an insanely tight spread. I've been killed and have killed at long range with buckshot. Could be my imagination though.

First, default guns are pretty damned good, M16 and M4 especially.

Second, everyone owes it to themselves to install the Better Battlelog plugin: http://getbblog.com/

The spread charts alone can give you a good idea of a weapon's accuracy, but there is lots of other info. Otherwise, there's not really a good "layman's listing" of what the weapons are good for.

weapon-details.jpg

Third, the Inside DICE blog posts can be useful for newbs, particularly these two:

Accessorize It: Finding the Perfect Setup to Fit Your Playstyle
Tweets from the Battlefield

Facism

I kinda agree with this . . . I wish the spawns were more organized so you can set up a defense.

CQC is like a coke-addict's version of C&H from KZ2, but with all the tactical opportunities stripped out for something that's more like TDM with flags rather than infantry-focussed, intimate CQ.

Supremely frustrating to play sometimes.

Bring on Armoured Kill.

KingKong

ok I played some more gungame (oops sorry, "gun master")

wtf is Dice thinking? it's been a mode in CS for years so they should have known that you need either

1) randomized weapons
2) reverse order (from rifles to pistols)

CQC is like a coke-addict's version of C&H from KZ2, but with all the tactical opportunities stripped out for something that's more like TDM with flags rather than infantry-focussed, intimate CQ.

Supremely frustrating to play sometimes.

Bring on Armoured Kill.
TDM with Flags is the exact description i used when i was telling people about it!

ok I played some more gungame (oops sorry, "gun master")

wtf is Dice thinking? it's been a mode in CS for years so they should have known that you need either

1) randomized weapons
2) reverse order (from rifles to pistols)

but isn't it weaker to stronger in CS? i mean, i wouldn't know, but when i said how dumb it was to go weaker to stronger, someone told me that's the way it was in CS.

KingKong

but isn't it weaker to stronger in CS? i mean, i wouldn't know, but when i said how dumb it was to go weaker to stronger, someone told me that's the way it was in CS.

thats how it was in CS originally, but since then it evolved a lot. most servers run reverse gungame and random gungame with other variants like respawn/rounds and 1 kill or more to switch weapons

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
thats how it was in CS originally, but since then it evolved a lot. most servers run reverse gungame and random gungame with other variants like respawn/rounds and 1 kill or more to switch weapons

The weapon "difficulty" follows a pretty clear bell curve. Start low with pistol, burst pistol, up to hand cannon, up to PDWs, up to carbines, up to ARs, horizontal to LMGs, down to snipers, and most important, bolt snipers, then to the tricky LVG, and end it with the knife, which is hardest of all. You're right, I would like options for setting up the gungames, but as it stands right now, the progression is pretty optimal.

Top Bottom