• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

CQ is killing my KD/R. It's like a whole new game. Way too hectic!

Untitled-3.png

Sheeeeeeeet . . . .

These maps are hard to adapt to. I find myself fighting the urge to run around CoD style, but once I tell myself to slow down, they become more managable. They're just such a change from the past maps that it takes a little while to adapt. i mean, if you make one small mistake, such as reload or revive at the wrong time, you're done for.

Sheeeeeeeet . . . .

These maps are hard to adapt to. I find myself fighting the urge to run around CoD style, but once I tell myself to slow down, they become more managable. They're just such a change from the past maps that it takes a little while to adapt. i mean, if you make one small mistake, such as reload or revive at the wrong time, you're done for.

Yeah, I agree. They are fun, but only if you play it BF3 style. I tried playing COD style and just end up getting butchered, namely by bad spawns.

Sheeeeeeeet . . . .

They do help you sharpen your senses though. If you get use to it, you tend to react faster and make smarter decisions. I haven't died nearly as much in the regular battlefield maps after playing close quarters a bit.

I kind of play them CoD/CS style and that works really nicely for me. Always been better at reaction based shooters but enjoyed the battlefield kind of games more.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Thanks for the gun info, I guess I'll keep using the defaults, get a star, then move to the next in line, and so on, until I decide.

By the way, is there any reason they still haven't integrated the battlelog functions into Origin? Especially when Origin already has website-like content in the form of the store? Why force players to have both Origin and their browser open? Just make battlelog accessible by browser but also include it in Origin in a tab like the store when people are actually playing. I don't get this...

Tess3ract

Banned
So I don't have BF3 and my friends are bugging me to buy the game to play with them, what is my cheapest route to get at least the base game, or the base game and all the goodies. It seems the expac is $50??? and the base game on origin is about that much too.

Help? (PC version only)

Deadbeat

Banned
So I don't have BF3 and my friends are bugging me to buy the game to play with them, what is my cheapest route to get at least the base game, or the base game and all the goodies. It seems the expac is $50??? and the base game on origin is about that much too.

Help? (PC version only)
Wait for the next origin sale. There was a 50% off in march, then a 50% off in may.

Woorloog

Banned
Been testing various weapons with and without Foregrip.
That supposedly has aimed accuracy penalty (at range anyway). Can't really say there's any difference with and without it... other than that it is easier to shoot a weapon with Foregrip, regardless of range. The controllability it gives is too good pass up, regarless of weapon and range you intend to fight.

Shame really, there is no need to think about whether or not to use it. And it makes most weapons look really ugly. Needs a nerf IMO, make having bipod or nothing more desirable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CQ is alright. I like the indoor maps that resembles offices. I feel they play okay. The industrial map is awful though, in my opinion.

Regardless, all games I've played have been a pretty messy clusterfuck of grenades, shotguns and rocket launchers. Conquest domination works a lot better than infantry focused small map conquest in vanilla BF3, so that's great.

I still think BF3's hit detection/feedback is total shit though. I've lost count of the amount of times I've close ranged shotgunned someone, died, and found my hit never registered on them.

Went 30-7 on Kharg using only the Z-11 chopper

some of the worst pilots I've ever seen on the other team

That supposedly has aimed accuracy penalty (at range anyway). Can't really say there's any difference with and without it... other than that it is easier to shoot a weapon with Foregrip, regardless of range. The controllability it gives is too good pass up, regarless of weapon and range you intend to fight.

Shame really, there is no need to think about whether or not to use it. And it makes most weapons look really ugly. Needs a nerf IMO, make having bipod or nothing more desirable.

Foregrip kills your range big time on certain weapons, the G3A3 is so much worse with it.

Deadbeat

Banned

http://symthic.com/charts.php

Foregrip is pretty bad actually for most guns.

Woorloog

Banned
http://symthic.com/charts.php

Foregrip is pretty bad actually for most guns.

Well, doesn't seem to be working like that in practice.
I'll try G3 with Foregrip.

Ah, i'll note i'm playing on 360, i wonder how much aim assist affects this.

EDIT well, seems to be an useful page.

EDIT well now, it seems that FAMAS is incredible weapon at long range if fired in bursts, especially with bipod. Fun. EDIT it seems that this needs RDS... with ACOG, the accuracy seems to be suffering. Intentional, bug or just my perception?

KingKong

I still think BF3's hit detection/feedback is total shit though. I've lost count of the amount of times I've close ranged shotgunned someone, died, and found my hit never registered on them.

Yes, it's awful. So many times I kill someone and then they kill me or vice versa like .1 seconds later. How does that even happen in a hitscan game? I dont think I've ever ever had that happen in Counter Strike

Woorloog

Banned
Yes, it's awful. So many times I kill someone and then they kill me or vice versa. How does that even happen in a hitscan game? I dont think I've ever ever had that happen in Counter Strike

BF3 is not a hitscan game, the bullets have travel time and ballistic arc.

I have pretty good experiences with hit detection in BF3. It's not perfect, but it's certainly 100 times better than the Bad Company games.

They do help you sharpen your senses though. If you get use to it, you tend to react faster and make smarter decisions. I haven't died nearly as much in the regular battlefield maps after playing close quarters a bit.

Yeah, this. I actually found that playing COD for a little while would somehow make me better in BF3 because of the attention the game demands.

Smokey

CQ is a godsend for me - I'm utterly abysmal with any of the vehicles in this game, so more opportunity for infantry-only action suits me fine. All the maps are great too, but especially Ziba Tower & Donya Fortress. Scrapmetal is good fun, but requires a bit more team work, while Operation 925 hasn't come up for me too often, only played it twice, I think.

Teamwork in CQ wut

Bought the game today. Took me a while to realize it was opening a tab when launching the game. Only played SP so far.

Battlelog does seem to enjoy telling me I have no friends so if you feel like adding me, would appreciate it.

ID: VintageElise

Hejdlond

Being pitted against my squad actually made me play the best round of BF3 ever. My K/D ratio is ass (1.320) so this is not a common occurence (obviously). But it's all about playing the objective, right?

We joined a server that was on a balancing frenzy, as soon as there were 2 more players on one team the one who joined last got moved to the other team. After the previous round I was moved to the opposing team and as soon as I changed team I was moved back. So I now had to face my squad (HardaHakan, HassePonken and kataorjan), we all know each other IRL which made it even funnier/tense and Hardahakan and I mostly compete for the same spot so this would be a showdown I guess.

Anyway, mostly I just rush but now I had to be careful. Upon spotting and enemy and see one of names of my "former" squad pop up made my pulse go up considerably. Also when they spotted me and started talking and shout "He's by the rails, flank him!" etc. gave me an incredible rush. Playing against people I know instead of shooting RandomD00D342 was really fun but playing with random people made me miss the cooperative part of BF3.

The worst part is that I was knifed by Hardahakan and had to hear his sadistic laugh, oh the humility!

Has anyone else had similar experience?

I don't get all the complaints regarding hit detection. Maybe it's because I get great pings (usually under 10) but hit detection seems spot on, especially in the Close Quarters expansion.

Being pitted against my squad actually made me play the best round of BF3 ever. My K/D ratio is ass (1.320) so this is not a common occurence (obviously). But it's all about playing the objective, right?

We joined a server that was on a balancing frenzy, as soon as there were 2 more players on one team the one who joined last got moved to the other team. After the previous round I was moved to the opposing team and as soon as I changed team I was moved back. So I now had to face my squad (HardaHakan, HassePonken and kataorjan), we all know each other IRL which made it even funnier/tense and Hardahakan and I mostly compete for the same spot so this would be a showdown I guess.

Anyway, mostly I just rush but now I had to be careful. Upon spotting and enemy and see one of names of my "former" squad pop up made my pulse go up considerably. Also when they spotted me and started talking and shout "He's by the rails, flank him!" etc. gave me an incredible rush. Playing against people I know instead of shooting RandomD00D342 was really fun but playing with random people made me miss the cooperative part of BF3.

The worst part is that I was knifed by Hardahakan and had to hear his sadistic laugh, oh the humility!

Has anyone else had similar experience?

If that K/D is ass, then mine is an asshole.

derFeef

I don't get all the complaints regarding hit detection. Maybe it's because I get great pings (usually under 10) but hit detection seems spot on, especially in the Close Quarters expansion.

If that K/D is ass, then mine is an asshole.

I will never get a positive K/D ratio in any battlefield game. I am usually hanging around 0.8-0.9. And I don't care! :)

I will never get a positive K/D ratio in any battlefield game. I am usually hanging around 0.8-0.9. And I don't care! :)

I'm just about positive (1.10-1.15) but, as you say, I don't care. I'm not playing TDM in BF3, I'm playing the objective. In that regard SPM may be a better metric, but is nonetheless unimportant and not something I care about much.

Even though I had an incredible 42-14 round with the Saiga on it, I think Scrapmetal is the worst map; the dark corners make it very easy to miss enemy soldiers, perhaps the IR scope would be handy there. Warming up to Donya Fortress a bit but I feel Ziba is the best so far.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ziba is my favourite. Plays great, looks great, and has a nice flow between each capture point. Donya second, as I think it flows pretty well too. The one I forgot its name goes here. And lastly Scrapmetal, which I don't like at all.

MrBig

Everyone rank the maps!

My rankings:

1. Donya Fortress
2. Scrap Metal
3. Ziba Tower
4. Operation 925

1. Scrap Metal

When I first saw this map, I thought the narrow passageways between the two building were a terrible idea, but there are plenty of passageways, even if they are all small. It's fast paced and you have to be constantly moving. There's nowhere to camp. It's beautiful.
2. Operation 925
Love the role destruction plays in this map, the office areas especially make duals interesting. Largest of the maps and the most interesting for gun master, thanks to the widely varying encounter distances.
3. Ziba Tower
Suffers from camping in all the rooms and the upper balcony, but is otherwise a solid map for CQD.
4. Donya Fortress
This doesn't feel like it was designed as a multiplayer map, but as an actual building not meant to be used in a game. I hate it.

Top Bottom