• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, the F2000 is currently my go-to weapon but I also found the LMGs are great for their constant fire as people seem to base their movement on a single rifle magazine - Then they decide to up and move, by that time you are still barrelling rounds at them. I thought the FAMAS would be a god-tier weapon due to its ROF of 1000 but man, that rifle seems to suck so bad in every way possible ... Maybe just me?

Woorloog

Banned
I thought the FAMAS would be a god-tier weapon due to its ROF of 1000 but man, that rifle seems to suck so bad in every way possible ... Maybe just me?

The FAMAS is an ideal long range rifle with bipod.
Accuracy of Bipod coupled with ridiculous rate of fire... it is awesome weapon for countering snipers and holding chokepoints while being far away.

Christ all mighty.

I need the stationary gun ribbon but the launchers have to be the most terrible thing in this entire game.

Super slow turning speed, FOV killing reticle, slow upon firing, SUPER slow reload, and can't aim up that high.

And they can't even 1 hit disable a tank.

I need 5 more damn minutes in those things for the medal, and after that I don't think I'll ever get in one again. Why are they placed so poorly? Are they utilized better in Rush? On Kharg and Caspian they are so far away from the action that you rarely see any planes at all. On Firestorm they get a little more use, but usually only for planes coming to destroy aircraft still on the ground. Jets are so overpowered, and yet there's very little infrastructure to deal with them. BC2 had AA guns in the middle of the maps, making them both an effective deterrent and a nice fat target. See, balanced.

Sethos

Banned
The FAMAS is an ideal long range rifle with bipod.
Accuracy of Bipod coupled with ridiculous rate of fire... it is awesome weapon for countering snipers and holding chokepoints while being far away.

Probably that's why. It just seems to bounce all over the place when firing it full auto, doesn't have a steady spray pattern unlike some of the other high-ROF rifles. I want to experiment with burst mode but I'm playing Hardcore and they removed the damn indicator and the ammo view, yet everything else remains ( Worst hardcore HUD in history ) so I always end up dead because it stays through dead and I don't remember my last mode.

Woorloog

Banned
Probably that's why. It just seems to bounce all over the place when firing it full auto, doesn't have a steady spray pattern unlike some of the other high-ROF rifles. I want to experiment with burst mode but I'm playing Hardcore and they removed the damn indicator and the ammo view, yet everything else remains ( Worst hardcore HUD in history ) so I always end up dead because it stays through dead and I don't remember my last mode.

FAMAS and F2000 spread patterns without attachements:
http://symthic.com/comparison.php?wep1=F2000&attc1=None&wep2=FAMAS&attc2=None

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So I've been out of the Caspian Border loop for ages, but I remember people complaining that the big antenna tower couldn't be toppled in multiplayer. Well, it does, so when did that change?

I like CQ a lot but man it is hard as hell to see people on the warehouse style map. Maybe I need to adjust my brightness or something but when I am inside it is tough.

Think I took to long of a break playing Diablo...just need to readjust.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Months ago I think. It topples in like the last 8th of the game.

Cool. Thanks.

I like CQ a lot but man it is hard as hell to see people on the warehouse style map. Maybe I need to adjust my brightness or something but when I am inside it is tough.

Scrapmetal continues to be my least favourite of the four maps. It's a shame too, because it has a lot going for it. The actual layout isn't too bad, and I love that the outside area has a million different angles for gunfights to take place.

But the open, busy design makes spotting you opponents a pain in the arse, and I've experienced more frustrating and borderline broken random spawns than any other map. On multiple occasions an opponent and myself have spawned together, side by side, or right in the middle of a gunfight.

Glad I am not the only one...lol. Love the style of the map like you said but it is just difficult. Also I experienced the same thing with the spawns. Even spawning right next to a guy from the other team right at the start of the round.

Lingitiz

I just picked this up yesterday and I am getting absolutely slaughtered. Not really having a whole lot of fun. Any tips? I was pretty good at BC2 (on console). What servers should I be joining?

CatPee

I just picked this up yesterday and I am getting absolutely slaughtered. Not really having a whole lot of fun. Any tips? I was pretty good at BC2 (on console). What servers should I be joining?

Sometimes the servers with 'noob' in the title actually have loads of noobs.

Orlandu84

I found that the biggest change for me between BC2 and BF3 is to fire full auto with iron sights. I could not hit the broad side of a barn with iron sights on BC2 whereas I can hit guys fairly well with them in BF3 even on full auto. Not knowing your preferred play style, I would recommend Conquest Metro server. After a few play throughs you will know the map and understand the choke points. That's my two cents. Good hunting.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I found that the biggest change for me between BC2 and BF3 is to fire full auto with iron sights. I could not hit the broad side of a barn with iron sights on BC2 whereas I can hit guys fairly well with them in BF3 even on full auto. Not knowing your preferred play style, I would recommend Conquest Metro server. After a few play throughs you will know the map and understand the choke points. That's my two cents. Good hunting.
I wouldn't get in the habit of going full auto. You're usually better off tapping out bursts.

Dries

Huh, is it just me, cause I'm noticing some mouse stuttering right now. But it was fixed a long time ago. Has it come back?

EatChildren

*sigh*

Close Quarters got me back into Battlefield. I've given those maps a pretty hefty play over the last couple of weeks, so I figured it was time to play the real Battlefield. In all honesty, I don't think I'm worse at any other shooter than Battlefield 3. It's absolutely baffling. I'm not a pro player, I'm not highly skilled, but years of experience playing shooters (including the Battlefield series) have left me with skills to hold my own in another other FPS. Team Fortress 2? Great. Call of Duty? I'll clean up a server. Quake 3? Those twitch reflexes got me into the genre.

Battlefield 3? My bolt loading sniper rifle will be bested, from a mile away, by a scoped AK on automatic. My tank will be obliterated after being behind the wheel for thirty second, but the enemy's will power through all my rockets. I haven't landed an anti-air missile in forever. I'll unload round after round at close range in your face, but it will only take you a burst of two or three shots to kill me.

Every once in awhile I'll have a good round, or a good run. I'll manage to one-up the enemy. My squad won't be full of morons, and actually understand the value of spotting. But no matter how hard I try to shape my skill when I fail, and no matter how I analyse my faults and look to improve, I will on average be one of the worst players on a server. It makes me so sad because I love so much about Battlefield, but too often I just want to rage quit, uninstall, and never play the game again.

It honestly feels like me with a pea shooter versus an entire army armed to the teeth with weapons that shooter faster, more accurate, and deal more damage. And that entire army is focused squarely on killing me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It honestly feels like me with a pea shooter versus an entire army armed to the teeth with weapons that shooter faster, more accurate, and deal more damage. And that entire army is focused squarely on killing me.

Netcode + hit detection + map design + visual design + no in-game VOIP.

My friends and I could put the team on our back in BC2 and completely flip a game around or prevent an enemy team from even touching the first set of M-COMs. A couple have rage deleted BF3 and most have just forgotten it because of that feeling you just described.

Dries

*sigh*

Close Quarters got me back into Battlefield. I've given those maps a pretty hefty play over the last couple of weeks, so I figured it was time to play the real Battlefield. In all honesty, I don't think I'm worse at any other shooter than Battlefield 3. It's absolutely baffling. I'm not a pro player, I'm not highly skilled, but years of experience playing shooters (including the Battlefield series) have left me with skills to hold my own in another other FPS. Team Fortress 2? Great. Call of Duty? I'll clean up a server. Quake 3? Those twitch reflexes got me into the genre.

Battlefield 3? My bolt loading sniper rifle will be bested, from a mile away, by a scoped AK on automatic. My tank will be obliterated after being behind the wheel for thirty second, but the enemy's will power through all my rockets. I haven't landed an anti-air missile in forever. I'll unload round after round at close range in your face, but it will only take you a burst of two or three shots to kill me.

Every once in awhile I'll have a good round, or a good run. I'll manage to one-up the enemy. My squad won't be full of morons, and actually understand the value of spotting. But no matter how hard I try to shape my skill when I fail, and no matter how I analyse my faults and look to improve, I will on average be one of the worst players on a server. It makes me so sad because I love so much about Battlefield, but too often I just want to rage quit, uninstall, and never play the game again.

I also have this feeling sometimes. It's like you have a permanent bug that puts you on the worst team all the time. But then sometimes a get a really awesome round in between and then some average ones. I'm pretty sure that you're just having some more bad luck than any other players. Nothing more nothing less.

Seanspeed

Banned

Just play more. You're probably a bit rusty and dont know most of the maps well.

Dries

Fuck no, it isn't just me. My mouse stuttering has returned. Fuck, they pached it and that helped, but now it's back...

Fuck no, it isn't just me. My mouse stuttering has returned. Fuck, they pached it and that helped, but now it's back...

Odd, is it happening only on a the close quarters maps or all maps? I've just been playing vanilla, B2K and CQC and it runs flawlessly on them all.

BigDes

*sigh*

A lot of this is due to the client side server damage model

It may look like they just one shot you but unless they got a head shot then it's just as likely they only beat you by one bullet

Its just on your end they look like super shooter

A lot of this is due to the client side server damage model

It may look like they just one shot you but unless they got a head shot then it's just as likely they only beat you by one bullet

Its just on your end they look like super shooter

Except when their kill cam shows "100% health". Happens to me more than I'd like.

You are not alone. I don't know how many times I've been crouched, laying into the back of some guys HEAD to have him spin around and seemingly 1-shot me. Infuriating.

I can't seem to find a server that is consistent--and by that I mean it will not be filled with morons. Or at least, the side I'm put on--and put BACK on after switching teams 2 minutes in. You can tell when a team is going to lose. Nothing is spotted, 90% of the squads are snipers, and no one--NO ONE types anything in response to queries or requests.

I found that firing in short bursts made all the difference. Maybe it was co-incidence. Maybe you already do that...

As for vehicles, yes I seem to play rounds where other tanks just soak up the damage and laugh while I drive a Pinto-tank that explodes in the first hit. It makes no sense. I'll fire two shots into the ASS of a tank that doesn't see me, he'll spin around and take me out in two hits to my FRONT while I've just layed another two shots into him. No healing bot or engy in sight.

When that shit happens I abandon vehicles and figure its some wonky server/client side issue thing that I don't comprehend. When my run and gun game gets obliterated I switch servers. Usually makes all the difference, though sometime I have to hop four or five times to find a team that understands PTFO.

sp3000

You are not alone. I don't know how many times I've been crouched, laying into the back of some guys HEAD to have him spin around and seemingly 1-shot me. Infuriating.

I can't seem to find a server that is consistent--and by that I mean it will not be filled with morons. Or at least, the side I'm put on--and put BACK on after switching teams 2 minutes in. You can tell when a team is going to lose. Nothing is spotted, 90% of the squads are snipers, and no one--NO ONE types anything in response to queries or requests.

I found that firing in short bursts made all the difference. Maybe it was co-incidence. Maybe you already do that...

As for vehicles, yes I seem to play rounds where other tanks just soak up the damage and laugh while I drive a Pinto-tank that explodes in the first hit. It makes no sense. I'll fire two shots into the ASS of a tank that doesn't see me, he'll spin around and take me out in two hits to my FRONT while I've just layed another two shots into him. No healing bot or engy in sight.

When that shit happens I abandon vehicles and figure its some wonky server/client side issue thing that I don't comprehend. When my run and gun game gets obliterated I switch servers. Usually makes all the difference, though sometime I have to hop four or five times to find a team that understands PTFO.

Make sure you check the ticket count before you join a game. Do not join a server that has lopsided teams

Also tank battles are won with whoever has reactive armor.

EatChildren

Thanks for the input guys.

I do burst fire, and I figured it was a client side damage mode thing. It's funny sometimes, how crazy some encounters are. I remember one, a couple of games ago, where I was crouched and semi-auto firing at this guy with one of my assault rifles. He hadn't seen me yet, there was a bit of distance between us, so I was using the semi-auto to make sure each shot count. Got in a good few shots, he turns, quickly aims and with one burst kills me. Moments like that just leave me shaking my head at the screen, laughing at how unbelievably baffling my loss was.

The big thing with vehicles for me is DICE tethering sooo many useful vehicle upgrades to the vehicle specific levelling system. Levelling in any competitive shooter is bullshit, but I can handle the guns/attachments because everything seems useful in some context, and I see people using all kinds of combos and equipment. But vehicles aren't like that. The better you do with a vehicle, and the more you use it, the better equipped your vehicle will be. Rewarding the better players with better shit, while punishing newer, poorer players with weaknesses, is a broken game design model that any self respecting developer should be shaking their head at.

Jets, for example. I'm awful at flying them, and not ashamed to admit it. The only upgrade I've unlocked, after so many hours of play, is the IR flares. Very useful. But when the sky is dominated by better pilots with missiles, protection against heat tracking, and quicker targeting for their own missiles, what's the fucking point? How do you practice against something like that, unless you join a shit server with nobody in it? And that's not fun.

And you know the worst part? Right after bitching about this game I'll go and play round after round of Caspian and Firestorm, like an idiot.

BigDes

Except when their kill cam shows "100% health". Happens to me more than I'd like.

That's client side damage again, really annoying

People don't realise how much ping and lag effect this game, I've been shot by guys round corners so many times because of it

Sethos

Banned
*sigh*

You are definitely not alone.

It's the reason why I didn't play Battlefield 3 whatsoever for the longest time, it just has that complete random dice ( no pun ) roll effect going on all the time. Every time you move there's always someone shooting you in the back even when you're all the way up in your base, always a helicopter gunning you down when running, a tank rolling over you when trying to capture a flag or a sniper to pick you off when you feel most safe. It just has too much shit dinging about and everything is just too easy to control, handle or fly on such a massive scale. Got a mouse with DPI changing on the fly? Well you can practically turn that tank turret into a Ferris wheel on speed, helicopters handle like house flies and snipers aren't effected by nothing except a puny drop.

Every weapon can be tamed to shoot arrow straight and kill in a heartbeat even across the most insane ranges, whilst bunny-hopping and doing a Call of Duty 360* spin. When you finally get in a close encounter, you are dead before you know with the worst hit detection in any competitive online FPS game to date. Entire game is a mish-mash of competitive elements and the "Large battlefield" elements and it has created a cocktail that is very muggy and is hard / impossible to truly master - Too many luck elements, all the way down to the bullet registration.

Even the almighty Battlefield teamwork is a dead duck without voice communication and on public servers, it's a rule of thumb that everyone else look out for themselves first, second and third THEN you might get some ammo, a revive or some actual help. That especially comes into the play when you notice how many times you need to run from spawn towards the objective as everyone took off in every transport, usually alone or with the people who were fortunate enough to straggle their way to the vehicle before the guy revved the engine.

Only way I can find some actual enjoyment is in hardcore CQ. Hardcore can definitely be frustrating but it seems to negate some of the issues with the hit detection so people don't have all those insane chances of doing duck-dives and 180* to gun you down after you hit them 24 times. Still suffers from the "I just hit him 10 times ... Oh it didn't count my last 8 shots because I was already dead" and "We just killed each other ...".

Oh well, just a rant. The choices of decent competitive FPS games are slim as shit from this generation, so Battlefield 3 is basically the a last resort choice for me. It has some great moments but I haven't yelled and slammed my keyboard as much as after I started playing Battlefield 3. Game has too many "No. Fucking. Way" moments and those are the kind of moments that ruin any game experience.

Kikarian

I'm thinking of getting the CQ DLC. But not sure if it's worth it? The ACW-R and L85A2 Look amazing, it's making me want to get it. Also gun game looks very impressive.

Some tips that have helped me:

-When firing at a guy who's about to turn a corner, hold the trigger down even after he's just gone out of sight; lot of times that last bullet will kill him

-I've found that laser sights do make a big difference, use them when you can.

-If you're about to retreat from an encounter, lob a grenade on the ground where you're standing; a surprisingly large number of people fall for this trick, even if the grenade doesn't kill them I can usually finish them off

-Always be moving when driving the tank, too many schmucks just park the thing and whittle away at a target. In conjunction with being mobile in the tank, the proximity scanner is great because it can sniff out any pesky enemies who might be hiding in alleys. On some maps you can be pretty much unstoppable if you're always on the move and equipped with the proximity scanner. I've gotten a 21 killstreak on Karkand just doing laps around the Hotel.

-The G3A3 with HB, bipod and 6x scope is the most effective gun on the large maps. Tons of damage thanks to 7.62 rounds, just a hair under sniper rifle range and can hold its own in mid-range encounters. Lots of recoil and a small mag but that's why I like to keep the M93r for close encounters.

KingKong

man I'm just rolling in points playing 64 player CQ, so many kills + assists + ribbons + unlocks and with double XP weekend its off the charts

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
man I'm just rolling in points playing 64 player CQ, so many kills + assists + ribbons + unlocks and with double XP weekend its off the charts
pennyArcadeWhyyyy.png

Sethos

Banned
Man, the MG36 is beastly in hardcore, first LMG that can hipfire without breaking a sweat. Only downside is a huge drum and only 50 rounds? Doesn't a drum like that hold 100, at least? Probably to even out the fast reload.

Man, the MG36 is beastly in hardcore, first LMG that can hipfire without breaking a sweat. Only downside is a huge drum and only 50 rounds? Doesn't a drum like that hold 100, at least? Probably to even out the fast reload.

Get extended mags son, then you'll be killing anything that moves.

Sethos

Banned
Get extended mags son, then you'll be killing anything that moves.

Trying my man, trying - There's some way up to 300 kills. ( Curse whoever put it all the way up there )

300 Kills is the highest I got with a single weapon, so that's actually a hell of long way :p

Make sure you check the ticket count before you join a game. Do not join a server that has lopsided teams

Also tank battles are won with whoever has reactive armor.

In the above example, I *had* reactive armor. If he had it too, that should put us on a level playing field.

And every time I try to check a server I get "server encountered unexpected error". Every game I join is a complete surprise. Been this way for weeks...

Tawpgun

I need 5 more damn minutes in those things for the medal, and after that I don't think I'll ever get in one again. Why are they placed so poorly? Are they utilized better in Rush? On Kharg and Caspian they are so far away from the action that you rarely see any planes at all. On Firestorm they get a little more use, but usually only for planes coming to destroy aircraft still on the ground. Jets are so overpowered, and yet there's very little infrastructure to deal with them. BC2 had AA guns in the middle of the maps, making them both an effective deterrent and a nice fat target. See, balanced.

Can they tweak balance seperatley on consoles vs PC?

Because console jets fucking suck. The rush jets can take out tanks alright, but infantry is almost completley safe.

It's so hard to line up a consistent shot with the controller, and because of rendering limitations, by the time an enemy is spotted, rendered on your screen, it's time to pull up.

MrBig

Can they tweak balance seperatley on consoles vs PC?

Because console jets fucking suck. The rush jets can take out tanks alright, but infantry is almost completley safe.

It's so hard to line up a consistent shot with the controller, and because of rendering limitations, by the time an enemy is spotted, rendered on your screen, it's time to pull up.

I'm not sure if it's the last patch or not, but on PC spotted players are shown much much farther while up in the sky, making it much easier to acquire targets. I've get much more ground kills in much less time than I did at any point on 360. I still use the 360 controller for flying because not using graduated movement for flying is disgusting.

Jburton

Banned
sks is probably the best gun in the game at the moment, man that thing is lethal and as quick as you can hit the button.

Its the gun God uses when he plays this game.

Dominates Close Quarters.

check out if you have not already, post patch its a beast.

KingKong

I swear getting 15 grenade kills for the assignment is impossible

Theyre super obvious, take forever to blow up and dont even kill unless someones right next to it

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The AA guns are usually in the spawn. Thank goodness that most people don't know how to use them because they're hilariously OP.

I swear getting 15 grenade kills for the assignment is impossible

Theyre super obvious, take forever to blow up and dont even kill unless someones right next to it

If you're playing CQC then it shouldn't be too hard. Alternatively play Rush and grenade the M-COM as a defender.

Tess3ract

Banned
Am i the only one who can't hit shit with the AA guns? I literally can't hit planes with them, so I guess they're only for helis? Lame

patapuf

sks is probably the best gun in the game at the moment, man that thing is lethal and as quick as you can hit the button.

Its the gun God uses when he plays this game.

Dominates Close Quarters.

check out if you have not already, post patch its a beast.

the new m417 is pretty beastly as well.

Am i the only one who can't hit shit with the AA guns? I literally can't hit planes with them, so I guess they're only for helis? Lame

if the planes stay high in the air dogfighting don't bother shooting at them. The trick is to lead the shots when they make ground runs as they will be slower and therefore easier to hit. another good thing is to support your planes and shoot your own rockets just after the enemy jet has used flares to fend of other rockets.

It is however more important to shoot at the attack helicopter anyway as it is way more deadly for your ground troops.

Top Bottom