• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

D_Star

Neo Member
Yep, double XP is awesome!

Have a bet with my buddy that we'll both be level 30 when the summer ends (which, according to him, will be at the end of this week). Level 25 now, so trying to put in the extra hours not to disappoint him.

Double XP means CQ whoring for me weee!!

mr_nothin

Banned

Yea, they're able to modify the graphics again but it's not punkbuster friendly. Looks like they just turned off the ambient lighting
They took off the blue filter and some other post processing effects like the lens flares and fog.

I wish we could have Metro looking like this w/ better graphics of course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV8mZNL-0QI&feature=plcp

They're also able to change the gametime for particles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3u9A4D0pM&list=UUayA6WwDABDZdglh5f3wW2g&index=2&feature=plcp

I remember being able to adjust those values in the 1st few months when bf3 1st came out but back then it didnt do anything. Looks like they have reversed a couple of things within the engine now:

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yea, they're able to modify the graphics again but it's not punkbuster friendly. Looks like they just turned off the ambient lighting
They took off the blue filter and some other post processing effects like the lens flares and fog. I wish we could have Metro looking like this w/ better graphics of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV8mZNL-0QI&feature=plcp

...when you remove all the filters it looks like Battlefield 2. Mind blown.

Donos

Logged into battlelog yesterday and was suprised that DoubleXP was still going on. Thought i should take advantage of this and played 1000 ticket Ziba Tower with 16 ppl. Well that round took a while and i already expected a disconnect before the round ended but everything went well. <3 double xp. Not seeing me reach level 100 ever or even 50 (Colonel service star 6 atm).

OG Kush

Logged into battlelog yesterday and was suprised that DoubleXP was still going on. Thought i should take advantage of this and played 1000 ticket Ziba Tower with 16 ppl. Well that round took a while and i already expected a disconnect before the round ended but everything went well. <3 double xp. Not seeing me reach level 100 ever or even 50 (Colonel service star 6 atm).
son im only level 13... i feel naked without all my attachments and such

D_Star

Neo Member
Played a 1500 ticket ziba tower round yesterday that lasted one hour and fifteen minutes, ended with 91 kills and 25 deaths.. M1014 FTW!!

Carried my ass from level 25 to level 27 thanks to double XP <3. Does anyone know when double XP will stop?

tatsuki

Played a 1500 ticket ziba tower round yesterday that lasted one hour and fifteen minutes, ended with 91 kills and 25 deaths.. M1014 FTW!!

Carried my ass from level 25 to level 27 thanks to double XP <3. Does anyone know when double XP will stop?

The message in the top right corner of the ps3 version says until the 31st. I'd imagine It's the same for everyone.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The snow map looks amazing. I might have to give BF3 another whirl. I'm just glad it was my bro who paid for premium and not me. 60 fps for the trailer was a nice bonus.

I hate the look of Armored Shield.

Seanspeed

Banned
yeah, that's battlefield.
dice more of this and less close quarters, please
I dont like these extreme ends of things. Close Quarters is cool, but I like vehicles and whatnot, too. But now these Armored Kill maps make it seem like infantry will largely be useless, especially on maps like Bahar Desert. I'd prefer maps that make both styles of play viable. I might sit out on this pack for a while.

spidye

I dont like these extreme ends of things. Close Quarters is cool, but I like vehicles and whatnot, too. But now these Armored Kill maps make it seem like infantry will largely be useless, especially on maps like Bahar Desert. I'd prefer maps that make both styles of play viable. I might sit out on this pack for a while.

there was a fairly high amount of infantry fight in the video. at least on alborz and the other two maps.
bandar desert will probably be vehicles only, though

The snow map looks amazing. I might have to give BF3 another whirl. I'm just glad it was my bro who paid for premium and not me. 60 fps for the trailer was a nice bonus.

I hate the look of Armored Shield.

Yeah, not sold on Armored Shield, nor on Bandar Desert. I'm worried "biggest BF map ever" just means a shit ton of open space/terrain, which is really all we've seen so far.

Thrakier

Yeah, any tips for a complete noob? Oh and is there any chance to play this game only *complety* stutter free? Im at stable 60 pretty much but still get stutter from time to time. It's perfectly playable, would just be nicer without. Ping is fine.

Blutonium

Yeah, any tips for a complete noob? Oh and is there any chance to play this game only *complety* stutter free? Im at stable 60 pretty much but still get stutter from time to time. It's perfectly playable, would just be nicer without. Ping is fine.

Do you have a multiple monitor set up? Then it's easier to check your computers Performance in the Windows Task Manager. Whenever it stutters, see if you see any correlation between the stuttering and your CPU or RAM usage.

When the game came out, I had 4GB RAM and it ran flawlessly, until spring this year. I guess some update caused the game to increase the minimum requirements. In any case - since one random patch, the game started to stutter. After going insane for a few days I decided to check my performance while I played, and voila: the memory usage surpassed my 4GB of RAM.

If your GPU can handle the game with ease (you say you have a steady framerate of 60) and your ping is fine, there's a big chance your RAM or CPU is not up to speed. Again, check your performance in the Windows Task Manager. RAM is cheap so for your sake I hope it's the case.

Thrakier

Well, I got 8GB and and i5 2500k @4.2GHZ so I'd guess these should be fine. I expected it to be quite normal for a graphical demanding online game with 50 players that some stutter happens but if you say it's perfectly smooth at any time for you, then I'd need to check...no multilple monitor setup btw.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, not sold on Armored Shield, nor on Bandar Desert. I'm worried "biggest BF map ever" just means a shit ton of open space/terrain, which is really all we've seen so far.

Yeah, that's why the snow map looks so appealing to me. There seems to be a lot of uniquely designed areas that aren't wide open.

Thrakier

I also got anohter problem. I was able to play the first campaign mission but after that the 2nd mission was loading fine but I'm stuck in the truck. It's weird. The truck is moving and I can hear the sound but the guys don't talk and it's not going on. It's...weird. Really weird.

OG Kush

Close Quarters is awesome. I don't get the hate.

I wish there was a map that combined CQ style indoor combat with wide open environments and vehicles.

I just wish that when the announced close quarters they meant RUSH and CONQUEST maps similar to metro, bazaar, seine etc. Who the fuck wants these arena style TDM maps?

jayb

I just wish that when the announced close quarters they meant RUSH and CONQUEST maps similar to metro, bazaar, seine etc. Who the f*** wants these arena style TDM maps?

I find the CQ maps, especially with gun master, to be a nice change up in between the larger maps/modes every 3-4 matches.

Seanspeed

Banned
I just wish that when the announced close quarters they meant RUSH and CONQUEST maps similar to metro, bazaar, seine etc. Who the fuck wants these arena style TDM maps?
CQ is a nice change of pace and the maps are well-designed for what they are but I would have also prefered slightly larger maps in the vein of the ones you mentioned. Grand Bazaar and Seine Crossing are probably two of my favorite maps. Not too big, not too small and a slight vehicle threat.

Thrakier

Wee but I'd like to play the SP campaign. :( At the end of semper fidels it already stops working. When you should open the door to the last guy and there is a sequence playing but that doesn't happen. Game just stops working there, sound goes on (it's not freezing, it just stops) and the next mission is loading but in the truck the problem persists and it's not going on...

Spazo

Wee but I'd like to play the SP campaign. :( At the end of semper fidels it already stops working. When you should open the door to the last guy and there is a sequence playing but that doesn't happen. Game just stops working there, sound goes on (it's not freezing, it just stops) and the next mission is loading but in the truck the problem persists and it's not going on...

What is your graphic card and driver version ?

CatPee

PS3 players.

Tell me how shitty I think this is on Consoles.

Is it like Heavy Metal all over again?

Not quite. Most of the maps have a linear progression in the flag placement so it feels ok most of the time. Any less than 10 players each side and it feels barren, however.

That said, playing 12v12 on just moderate-size maps feels barren to me nowadays on PC, so I likely would think it's barren on consoles if I returned to PS3 version.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Your PC has achieved self-awareness and is refusing to play the SP campaign. And for good reason.

Darknight

Um is there a patch for the freaking crash to Battlelog/desktop? WTF man, why do i have to disable audio as a possible fix? You need audio in this game ffs.

scogoth

Um is there a patch for the freaking crash to Battlelog/desktop? WTF man, why do i have to disable audio as a possible fix? You need audio in this game ffs.

Disable on-board realtek audio and use usb speakers/headphones or sound card. Thats what cause crashes for me in the early BF3 days.

New blog on Alborz Mountain:

Video on Alborz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHBJXq9kano

We wanted to maintain this quality across the landscape no matter where you travelled and from what distance it was perceived. From prone face down in the dirt to flying high up above the clouds looking across the entire map, the achieved detail is at a constant level of fidelity. Ground detail is full of volume, and far backdrop mountains are now actual modelled geometry to the horizon – no more simple distant cylinders with an image slapped on its surface! The illusion of a never-ending landscape is much more successfully realised.

Travelling up the side of Alborz Mountain the fog and snow in the air gets thicker and starts to feel colder. Continuing above the clouds the sky parts and shines brighter. Birds are scattered throughout the levels and in trees, only to be spooked by explosions or approaching enemies, flying off out of harm’s way. Much greater depth and perception of distance shines through in the levels through use of fog and actual clouds in the sky you can fly through, adding a whole new dimension to traversing the environments.

To accompany the more highly detailed environments, audio and effects also came into great play. When there isn’t a barrage of explosions and gunfire you can hear the trees creek in the wind, ice grinding under the frozen surface, and flags gently flapping in the wind. Likewise, explosion effects fill with dirt from underneath a thin layer of snow, leaves on the ground kick up from the forest floor, and hollow dead trees shatter into splinters when you crash through them with a quad bike. The combination of all these elements work together to create a vibrant, living environment.

Probably the closest we'll ever get to seeing BF3 mod tools:

Alborz_04-640x360.jpg

Firstly within FrostEd using its terrain toolset, a terrain is roughly sculpted with gameplay and broad, natural landscape formations in mind to get a quick visual idea of which direction we want to take the level. At this early stage strong reference material is of high importance as to not deviate too much from what is naturally possible in the real world. Height information we have sculpted in FrostEd is then taken into WorldMachine, where we erode the landscape via an assortment of erosion tools to produce more natural results than what is possible by hand sculpting 8 kilometres of terrain directly within FrostEd. Various assets are produced in WorldMachine, such as a Heightmap, basic Colour information and Masks which define the natural flow of erosion across the landscape. Taking these newly generated assets back into FrostEd we can start piecing it all together. The new naturally eroded height information serves as a great base from which we can hand-sculpt gameplay features where needed, and the masks serve as the starting point from where we define where grass grows, rock protrude the earth, and any other related natural features.

Into the details, we further use these masks for more defined features such as the formation of sediment sliding down the surface of the landscape, or where water and puddles would accumulate. Where landscape surfaces meet each other, such as snow to rock, the surfaces now behave in a more convincing manner. Snow and grass fall between rock, for example, instead of a gradual linear fade between the two. Finer details have worked their way into each surface, such as snow and desert sand sparkling in the sun, or ice distorting and reflecting the environment. The strong focus on such small details throughout the entire landscape really pays off when most of the players’ time is spent with the environment filling the entirety of their screen.

Have to say, this map looks goooorgeous. Love the altitude changes.

Alborz_02.jpg

Alborz_03.jpg

Alborz_01.jpg

Top Bottom