• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
Like hearing how everyone is raving about the quality of the map designs and there's not one which people will try to avoid playing on.
I'd take that with a grain salt. It's hard to determine how good a map is based on playing a couple of matches. It's good to hear that Operation Locker has more flanking options than Operation Metro though.

Whoever is playing it on PC, better have loads of RAM in case.

http://www.hardwarepal.com/battlefield-4-cpu-gpu-benchmarks/13/

"Again the game eats system memory like pan cakes, never mind that we lowered the resolution to 1920×1080, system memory usage is peaking somewhere above 9 GB. Welcome to the next gen game, ladies and gentlemen! 10Gb for Battlefield 4 at this point in time is a must have, and if you can afford it go for at least 16 GB just to be sure."

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Really? It ran fine for me during the beta outside of small hitches. I had hoped it wasn't a huge performance increase from that. :/

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
"Again the game eats system memory like pan cakes, never mind that we lowered the resolution to 1920×1080, system memory usage is peaking somewhere above 9 GB. Welcome to the next gen game, ladies and gentlemen! 10Gb for Battlefield 4 at this point in time is a must have, and if you can afford it go for at least 16 GB just to be sure."

229934_600.gif

vilmer_

Pretty damn crazy. I never run full settings for multiplayer FPS' though, removing shadows, sunshafts etc all help to spot enemies quicker and easier.

GravyButt

Right.

People called me insane for going with 32 GB of RAM when I built my computer earlier this year. Now I see it as a smart move. Granted games won't utilize all that for awhile, but give it a few years.

I wonder if it uses less RAM if you use the 32 bit executable (BF4 preload has 64 bit and 32 bit executables)

The engine very likely uses the ram that is available to it, similarly to the way it uses VRAM. There is no reason to release an asset from memory if it's available to use, especially now that it is a 64bit executable. I have 8 GB of ram during the beta and I didn't have insufficient memory errors running the game on Ultra. It uses what is there if it's available but doesn't require it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The engine very likely uses the ram that is available to it, similarly to the way it uses VRAM. There is no reason to release an asset from memory if it's available to use, especially now that it is a 64bit executable. I have 8 GB of ram during the beta and I didn't have insufficient memory errors running the game on Ultra. It uses what is there if it's available but doesn't require it.

That's what I'm hoping is the case: It grabs what it can if it can, otherwise no. Because if not, holy unoptimized next-gen Batman?

Like Felix Lighter said, it probably scales very well. I know people with 4 GB of RAM were able to run the BF4 beta alright. But if you have plenty of RAM, it will utilize it.

HariKari

Like Felix Lighter said, it probably scales very well. I know people with 4 GB of RAM were able to run the BF4 beta alright. But if you have plenty of RAM, it will utilize it.

sigh

Guess i'll have to pick up another triple channel kit then. Don't even sell the Mushkin Blackline I use now anymore (3x2).

This is why I am always glad to future proof my pc's, glad I went with 16gb ram.

Dr Dogg

Sounds about right. You'd probably know if you had a memory leak on your hands.

Well the nice thing about RAM is that it is the absolute easiest upgrade available to you and relatively cheap, though unfortunately, right now the price is on the rise.

Phinor

I also have 8GB and the beta itself never used more than ~2.5GB of memory regardless of settings, leaving me with couple of gigabytes of free memory the game didn't want to utilize. I don't know what their definition of system memory usage is but all I know is BF4 could never even approach my 8GB memory limit.

They also later clarified that they couldn't get more than ~7.1GB (link) total memory usage after DICE released couple of patches to the beta. For me, the beta patches made no difference to memory usage.

Well the nice thing about RAM is that it is the absolute easiest upgrade available to you and relatively cheap, though unfortunately, right now the price is on the rise.

I'm wondering if the price rise is on purpose, at the same time as all these next gen games. Very good timing if you ask me.

cripterion

Fuck it, I think that's great!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But I only have 8GB.

antitrop

Yo, what time is that embargo up? I'm fucking excited!

In 2011, BF3 got an 89 Metascore on PC, and Modern Warfare 3 got a 78. Interested to see how Ghosts and 4 compare in scores, this year.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yo, what time is that embargo up? I'm fucking excited!

In 2011, BF3 got an 89 Metascore on PC, and Modern Warfare 3 got a 78. Interested to see how Ghosts and 4 compare in scores, this year.

I'm wondering if BF4 will be praised for being a fixed BF3, or hated for being a fixed BF3.

antitrop

I'm wondering if BF4 will be praised for being a fixed BF3, or hated for being a fixed BF3.

I'm expecting reviewers to slobber praise all over Battlefield this year, while CoD will get the typical "Call of Duty is always solid, but its another CoD" treatment that it always does. I think things like the Levelution and the return of Commander Mode will score points with reviewers.

The hype for Ghosts seems to be the lowest I've ever seen from the franchise since 4, but maybe I'm out of touch.

I'm fascinated with how COD ends up. I don't hate the series and I don't get into the whole BF vs COD rivalry but I'm actually very surprised at how underwhelming COD Ghost looks on a purely technical level especially considering its surprisingly high system requirements. It looks on the outside to be a standard iteration of the series but the bare minimum spec jump is huge.

antitrop

I'm fascinated with how COD ends up. I don't hate the series and I don't get into the whole BF vs COD rivalry but I'm actually very surprised at how underwhelming COD Ghost looks on a purely technical level especially considering its surprisingly high system requirements. It looks on the outside to be a standard iteration of the series but the bare minimum spec jump is huge.

They released the new CoD requirements like last week or something, they're back to pretty much like what Black Ops 2 reqs were, not that crazy "GTX 780 recommended" bullshit that we first saw.

Yup, the minimum specs for Ghosts are Shitty CPU, Shitty GPU, and 6GB of RAM.

Definitely shitty CPU, modest GPU but the game must run a bit rough on AMD because a 5870 is much more powerful than a GTS 450. RAM bump is whatever, I guess. I'd imagine they just said fuck it to optimizing RAM usage since everyone has it now. HDD requirement is boinkers with the assets shown though.

vilmer_

Even though COD was never a visual marvel, I'm surprised they didn't want to amp things up a bit on the graphics side heading into the new gen. Then again if that core multiplayer fun is there like it has been year after year, I'll most definitely be back. Just as I will with BF4. I find the two games compliment each other very well.

Edit - Preload complete! Let the waiting commence.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Even though COD was never a visual marvel, I'm surprised they didn't want to amp things up a bit on the graphics side heading into the new gen. Then again if that core multiplayer fun is there like it has been year after year, I'll most definitely be back. Just as I will with BF4.

It's not that they didn't want to. They didn't have time to. The jump from BC2 to BF3 was big because Frostbite 2 had been in the works for a while. You can see that BF4 is more incremental because there's not this revolutionary tech project going on to support it, and as such means the new game can better utilize more stable tech.

Call of Duty has just been using that method for the last 6 or 7 iterations or whatever. I imagine Activision has something big going on in R&D as they've shown it before but if they want something like CoD to utilize it, they need to take a break, learn the new tools, and transfer everyone over which is not as immediately profitable.

HariKari

Even though COD was never a visual marvel, I'm surprised they didn't want to amp things up a bit on the graphics side heading into the new gen.

The framework they are using dates back to Quake. They can splice in new stuff but it's a mess. I find the tracers that are the same as the first CoD game especially funny.

vilmer_

The framework they are using dates back to Quake. They can splice in new stuff but it's a mess. I find the tracers that are the same as the first CoD game especially funny.

It sure is :p I'd love to see the railgun make an appearance in COD. Just for shits.

I'm expecting reviewers to slobber praise all over Battlefield this year, while CoD will get the typical "Call of Duty is always solid, but its another CoD" treatment that it always does. I think things like the Levelution and the return of Commander Mode will score points with reviewers.

The hype for Ghosts seems to be the lowest I've ever seen from the franchise since 4, but maybe I'm out of touch.

I dunno, with gaming journalists you can never be sure.

"BF4 is more like BF3.5, with a number of changes that a hardcore player of the series will appreciate, but don't revolutionize the series." Metacritic score: 86

"Call of Duty Ghosts brings the biggest overhaul to the series since Call of Duty 4, with changes that include destruction and character customization. These changes will be appreciated by both new and old players alike, helping this COD to be the most fun one yet." Metacritic score: 81

Dave_6

Unfortunately I only have 8GB in mine and it's the Samsung RAM that is extremely hard to find now, if at all. Oh well, I'm only playing at 1080p60 anyways so maybe it won't matter that much.

Oh yeah I have a dumb question; how do I spot using a controller on PC? I only played a few hours during the beta and never could get it to work. (I know using a controller is a big disadvantage but what else can I do when its hooked up to my 60" Pioneer TV).

So if the embargo for reviews ends tomorrow does that mean that DICE will finally allow streams on Twitch tomorrow or do we still have to wait until the 29th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom