• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

damnit! low settings just to be playable?
6970 here, 4gb ram and i5-2500k

Geforce experience is recommending these settings:

SSAO
Deferred AA: None
Post-AA: High
Effects: Low
Lighting: High
Mesh: Low
Post-processing: Ultra
Res: 900p :p haha
Terrain Dec: Low
Terrian Quality: Low
Texture Filtering: Off
Texture Quality: Low

Eeek

The maps are all quite pretty and first impressions are much better than BF3 maps. But the open maps are populated with so many fucking snipers that it makes me want to cry.

Finished the campaign, couldn`t have been much more than 5 or 6 hours on normal. It is a substantial improvement over 3`s campaign. The levels are a lot more open and they bring a small bit of the freedom of the multiplayer into it decently. Don`t have a single clue as to what happened storywise, it might as well be 7 completely disconnected levels. Wasn`t as aggressively boring as 3`s, but it`s pretty standard, albeit very pretty, stuff. Oh and the AI is still pretty crummy and the enemies spam grenades like crazy.

koryuken

ibhctUig4OS2Bm.png

iNeeAbPH0SIWP.png

That second shot... mother of god.

wrongway

Played through the campaign and did some MP. Some off-the-cuff impressions!

The campaign is what you'd expect if you've played basically any big-name shooter over the last several years. Nothing new here, but it's gorgeous, the gunplay's good, and there aren't any QTEs. I'd call it a good improvement over BF3's campaign, though it probably won't blow anyone away.

For multiplayer, the maps I've seen so far seem pretty nice. Particularly worth note is that Operation Locker is actually pretty solid. When I first saw it, I had it pegged as Damavand or Metro 2.0, but it isn't. It's still pretty crazy with 64 people, but it's pretty large and there are lots of different paths to take. On my round there, the enemy team beat us to the center and set up shop, but then a bunch of us just snaked around and back-capped em. The rest of the match was a constant, crazy, run-and-gun affair. Haven't seen them all yet, but so far I'd say the map design is leagues better than vanilla BF3.

Performance is good, too. I haven't gotten around to Siege yet so I guess my comparison isn't quite 1:1, but so far the game's running great on high on my old i7-860 (3.25ghz) and GTX 570. I'm now officially in no rush to upgrade.

Bug-wise, there's unfortunately still something causing crashes (though it only CTD'd once on me so far). There also seems to be an issue that causes certain sounds to drop out sporadically on Golmud Railway and Lancang Dam.

RK9039

The campaign is what you'd expect if you've played basically any big-name shooter over the last several years. Nothing new here, but it's gorgeous, the gunplay's good, and there aren't any QTEs. I'd call it a good improvement over BF3's campaign, though it probably won't blow anyone away.

For multiplayer, the maps I've seen so far seem pretty nice. Particularly worth note is that Operation Locker is actually pretty solid. When I first saw it, I had it pegged as Damavand or Metro 2.0, but it isn't. It's still pretty crazy with 64 people, but it's pretty large and there are lots of different paths to take. On my round there, the enemy team beat us to the center and set up shop, but then a bunch of us just snaked around and back-capped em. The rest of the match was a constant, crazy, run-and-gun affair. Haven't seen them all yet, but so far I'd say the map design is leagues better than vanilla BF3.

Performance is good, too. I haven't gotten around to Siege yet so I guess my comparison isn't quite 1:1, but so far the game's running great on high on my old i7-860 (3.25ghz) and GTX 570. I'm now officially in no rush to upgrade.

Bug-wise, there's unfortunately still something causing crashes (though it only CTD'd once on me so far). There also seems to be an issue that causes certain sounds to drop out sporadically on Golmud Railway and Lancang Dam.

Nice one.

Glad to hear it's all good.

Ugh. They never sorted the sound drops on BF3.

otapnam

Guess I don't need to worry as much with m u i7920 oc at 3.8 and 6970

AmyS

Really dumb question but is BF4 likely to get Nvidia 3D Vision support with a patch?
Is that how it usually works?

So GMG is beyond fucked for me, tried about 10 times with my credit card, debit card, and PayPal. Fuck that site.

Any other sites selling this below $60?

Eric WK

To those of you who completed the campaign, did you have any problem unlocking all of the weapons for multiplayer? I read elsewhere that someone finished without getting the P90. Just wondering if there are specific requirements to unlock each one.

I see the same brick 3 times in this shot.

IMMERSION BROKEN.

Not bad, actually. Between 40 and 60, ultra settings with 2MSAA.

Good to know. You should really consider getting another 670; the 670s should become cheaper and if you could get one for 250 that's be a good hold over for Maxwell when it hits later next year.

Dennis

Banned
What difficulty y'all playing at? And how are you finding it?

I am on Normal and it has been pretty easy so far but I don't if that is just my l33t skills.....

legacyzero

Banned
Good to know. You should really consider getting another 670; the 670s should become cheaper and if you could get one for 250 that's be a good hold over for Maxwell when it hits later next year.

I considered it heavily. I'm holding off until Teams Green/Red stop it with the slap fight and the dust settles. And when that happens, I'll be able to decide.

Don't think I'm getting another 670. I'm a single GPU kind of guy because I hear two cards can be a pain in the ass a lot more than what it's worth. So I'm looking at either a 290X (gigabyte version with better cooling) or a 780.

Up in the air, yet.

jet1911

I'm wondering this, too. At first I was surprised we haven't seen any, but then again, it would be hard to do the levolution on the three maps we know without first being told by DICE.

The ones I know

Siege of Shanghai - Tower
Paracel Storm - The ship
Operation Locker - ?
Flood Zone - The dam
Golmud Railway - ?
Dawnbreaker - ?
Hainan Resort - ?
Rogue Transmission - The antenna
Lancang Dam - ?
Zavod 311 - ?

What difficulty y'all playing at? And how are you finding it?

I am on Normal and it has been pretty easy so far but I don't if that is just my l33t skills.....

Didn't die til the third level on hard. It's not that challenging but I've started to play a little more aggressively and I'm dying more now.

spk

Anyone else think there's so much visual clutter in the form of map decoration, effects, and debris that it makes it hard to see anything? I feel like people just navigate maps and fights with HUD markers (which themselves are big enough to limit vision).. It's why I never played BF3 as much as I wanted to. :/

antitrop

Anyone else think there's so much visual clutter in the form of map decoration, effects, and debris that it makes it hard to see anything? I feel like people just navigate maps and fights with HUD markers (which themselves are big enough to limit vision).. It's why I never played BF3 as much as I wanted to. :/

Now imagine how difficult it will be to discern targets in 720p. :p

Hixx

The ones I know

Siege of Shanghai - Tower
Paracel Storm - The ship
Operation Locker - ?
Flood Zone - The dam
Golmud Railway - ?
Dawnbreaker - ?
Hainan Resort - ?
Rogue Transmission - The antenna
Lancang Dam - ?
Zavod 311 - ?

Hainan Resort has the central Hotel, just played on it. I didn't actually get back to it after it went down but a lot of confusion in the game chat so I presume it is a levolution thing?

Golmud Railway has the train which is a pretty cool tug-of-war CP!

I considered it heavily. I'm holding off until Teams Green/Red stop it with the slap fight and the dust settles. And when that happens, I'll be able to decide.

Don't think I'm getting another 670. I'm a single GPU kind of guy because I hear two cards can be a pain in the ass a lot more than what it's worth. So I'm looking at either a 290X (gigabyte version with better cooling) or a 780.

Up in the air, yet.

Much respect. Can't mess up with either the 780 or 290x.

This is pretty unlikely since its early days but any Gaffers playing this on a shitty computer? :p

My pile of junk PC can do BF3 @ 720p on medium and be playable. Can I expect BF4 to do the same or should I just hold off till I can upgrade?

Dubz

Still no toggle sprint. I want to play this on the controller from time to time, and no sprint toggle makes it a huge chore. Other than that, this game rocks.

So I have been looking at the unlocks on BF4's battlelog and I wonder if Stealth Jets and Attack Jets will share the same map, like 2 Stealth Jets and one Attack Jet for each side. The Attack Jets have the JDAMs and I want to drop bombs on fools on every map I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom