• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

It's terrible.

Eg.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_LAaCS1IgQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujWKwI-1Ll8
I'm just trying to enjoy it for what it is until the PS4 rolls out. BF3 looks and runs better and that's not saying much. I also don't know if it's just a byproduct of playing the digital version but my FPS is all over the place and the knifing animations are literally like 6 stuttering frames from start to finish.

Yikes. Why didn't they just use the BF3 assets I wonder and just focused on the systems. Those helmets were the first thing that caught my eye.

Fistwell

Hi. I play Battlefield alone and would like to not do that anymore. I play the objective, drop health and ammo kits like they're going out of style, I'm capable of flying helicopters but also love being a gunner, I mark targets habitually, and I never complain about losing or being killed. Add me on Origin!
Hey. So I always lonewolf like an idiot, I dont know which keys drop health or whatever, I'm good at crashing helicopters, I mark targets never and complain all the time about everything.
Sent you a friend request. ;) (ID is Fistwell)

HariKari

NEED AMMO.
NEED AMMO.
NEED AMMO.
NEED AMMO.
NEED AMMO.
NEED AMMO.
NEED AMMO.

Play with me sometime. I take the 2x ammo box perk and throw them around like it's the Olympic shot put. Don't even care if you don't ask, you're getting a box at your feet. Dem points.

Izayoi

Banned
Everyone is having stability problems. Especially in MP.

Thread with 50+ pages here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/bd-p/battlefield-4

I've given up on trying to play until Nvidia or DICE push an update. AMD users are having the best go of things right now with the newest drivers. There's no repeatable reason for the crashes, and no consistent fix. It's something on their end. I was 100% stable and played for hours at a time before that stupid 677mb patch. After it, I crash every few minutes. I know my system inside out and it's not on my end. No amount of tweaking, repairing, or reinstalling will fix it.

DICE's comment so far has been "repair your install and use the latest drivers" which doesn't solve the problem for anyone.
Thanks for the information.

Yeah, seems just as unstable as before unfortunately. At least I'm getting a better framerate, though!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Don't cry about needing ammo if you're not willing to play support yourself. :p The LMGs lose to rifles at medium/long range and lose to carbines/pdws in CQC. Until people realize they don't have to use them they're not going to want to play support.

Doesn't help that the support goodies are deep in the kit.

Tekku

Has anyone else reacted to the leveling pace for attack boats?

It requires only 16,000 points to unlock everything with the attack boats. I unlocked it all after like five rounds of Paracel Storm.

Why is this? The attack boats are very powerful and can score high amount of points when handled right. I had barely learned to use my defaul rockets when I unlocked three new ones. The pacing felt completely off.

I mean the IFV's only have two more unlocks than the attack boats and you have to get double the points to unlock everything.

Nokterian

So i got in a server and look what happend...i don't even.....

Game disconnected: you have been banned from this server. Stated reason: You have been perma banned for having an abnormal kill rate. (2,00kpd)

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, been checking out vids for the mp. Getting it for PS4.

But one thing I have been seeing that irks me graphically. There sometimes seems to be this quick orange flicker around everything, or it kinda goes double. It happens for a split second even though nothing is happening.

The fuck is that? Looks annoying as shit.

Look here. Happens at exactly 55 seconds.

http://youtu.be/F_cgnRtVEFk?t=53s

What the hell is that?

HariKari

Don't cry about needing ammo if you're not willing to play support yourself. :p The LMGs lose to rifles at medium/long range and lose to carbines/pdws in CQC. Until people realize they don't have to use them they're not going to want to play support.

Doesn't help that the support goodies are deep in the kit.

Support is actually a great class this time around. I got top 10 in the world for skill just by using the LMGs. The MG4 in particular is a very nasty little thing. It doesn't lose anywhere near as hard as LMGs did in BF3. As long as you stick with the high ROF LMGs you are fine. Running something as low as a PKP can get you in trouble up close.

I have support maxed out and I'd say the gadgets aren't terrible useful. The mortar feels lame and doesn't have all that much killing power for the attention it requires. I usually take Ammo box and XM25 on infantry maps. Claymores if it's a tight map.

I wouldn't take a carbine because the 200 round box on some of the LMGs is just so delicious that it's hard to pass up. That and the sound they make... glorious.

Not at all i always pick one that i think would be cool but as you can see well..i am still scratching my head about it. And i didn't kill anyone yet that is the fun part.

Some servers have stat/level filters on them. It's dumb and ends up being a place for the host clan to pubstomp but that's what you get when it costs $$$ to host a server.

kidko

Not at all i always pick one that i think would be cool but as you can see well..i am still scratching my head about it. And i didn't kill anyone yet that is the fun part.

"No ppl who are really good at the game (aka cheaterz) can join, we hate dying. kthxbye"

n0n44m

Also, I just had one of those amazing Defuse rounds. Everybody dead, last man standing versus the entire team. See a guy, throw a grenade and kill him ( Not in the GIF ) and then ...

It's the little things in life.

fuuuu I need that M249, gonna play SP now just for that +P90 +REX I guess :|

Has anyone else reacted to the leveling pace for attack boats?

It requires only 16,000 points to unlock everything with the attack boats. I unlocked it all after like five rounds of Paracel Storm.

Why is this? The attack boats are very powerful and can score high amount of points when handled right. I had barely learned to use my defaul rockets when I unlocked three new ones. The pacing felt completely off.

I mean the IFV's only have two more unlocks than the attack boats and you have to get double the points to unlock everything.

yup have that one completely unlocked after some Paracel Storm + Hainan Resort

The TV missile you unlock is also pretty hilarious, I spend an entire match on Paracel just hanging around the US spawn carrier guiding missiles into enemy helicopters, boats and IFVs ... it reloads way too fast for the damage it does and the distance from which you can engage targets with

HariKari

You don't start with those favored LMGs though, do you?

The Ultimax is painful because of the slow ROF, but forgiving. Type 88 is a high ROF 200 round LMG, and it's the 2nd thing you unlock. Tap fire it like you love it and it will reward you. First time you drop the hammer on 4 or 5 guys stuck in a hallway you'll never go back to any other class.

Sethos

Banned
The Ultimax is painful because of the slow ROF, but forgiving. Type 88 is a high ROF 200 round LMG, and it's the 2nd thing you unlock. Tap fire it like you love it and it will reward you. First time you drop the hammer on 4 or 5 guys stuck in a hallway you'll never go back to any other class.

What do you reckon is the best all-round LMG, recoil, ROF, mag-size, damage etc.

I love the Type 88 and used it all through BF3, but I think I'm gonna branch out to other guns because I should really do more than just use the same gun/class AGAIN.

But yeah. The 88, with bipod and heavy barrel (I think) is a death laser.

alterno69

Banned
Hey guys, been checking out vids for the mp. Getting it for PS4.

But one thing I have been seeing that irks me graphically. There sometimes seems to be this quick orange flicker around everything, or it kinda goes double. It happens for a split second even though nothing is happening.

The fuck is that? Looks annoying as shit.

Look here. Happens at exactly 55 seconds.

http://youtu.be/F_cgnRtVEFk?t=53s

What the hell is that?

It's called chromatic aberration in photography, it's a "next gen" effect like bloom at the begining of this gen lol

HariKari

What do you reckon is the best all-round LMG, recoil, ROF, mag-size, damage etc.

I'd say the MG4. It's identical twin is the SP M249. The only difference between the two is that the M249 has an obnoxiously high side to side recoil, while the MG4 kicks straight up. I'll take straight up (one way) over two way recoil everyday. LSAT is superbly accurate and can do some work at long range/open maps, but it only has 100 rounds. Very noob friendly. Practically no drift.

M240b and PKP seem broken to me at the moment. They have way too much spread for their low rate of fire. Yeah, they hit like a truck, but the per shot spread is so high that they aren't good at medium to long range, which is where a heavy caliber, slow ROF gun should shine. If you play with them on the test range you'll see it first hand.

I run stubby/potato with laser sight and a coyote/reflex on pretty much everything. Heavy barrel if it's a more open map, silencer on small playercount servers, muzzle brake on crap like locker.

I love the Type 88 and used it all through BF3, but I think I'm gonna branch out to other guns because I should really do more than just use the same gun/class AGAIN.

But yeah. The 88, with bipod and heavy barrel (I think) is a death laser.

The tryhard in me says no to bipods. Never, ever use one. Stationary means dead against good players. If you can make it work, more power to you, but these guns are so good on the move now that it's really not necessary.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just started using the M249.

so_good.gif

Sethos

Banned
I'd say the MG4. It's identical twin is the SP M249. The only difference between the two is that the M249 has an obnoxiously high side to side recoil, while the MG4 kicks straight up. I'll take straight up (one way) over two way recoil everyday. LSAT is superbly accurate and can do some work at long range/open maps, but it only has 100 rounds. Very noob friendly. Practically no drift.

M240b and PKP seem broken to me at the moment. They have way too much spread for their low rate of fire. Yeah, they hit like a truck, but the per shot spread is so high that they aren't good at medium to long range, which is where a heavy caliber, slow ROF gun should shine. If you play with them on the test range you'll see it first hand.

I run stubby/potato with laser sight and a coyote/reflex on pretty much everything. Heavy barrel if it's a more open map, silencer on small playercount servers, muzzle brake on crap like locker.

Appreciate the reply.

I'm always on the lookout for a new weapon. I get bored of using the same gun all the time, already getting slightly bored of the M249 - So just wanted to have a goal. Think I'll start using the LSAT and work my way to the MG4.

Thanks man.

Can someone suggest where to start as a beginner? I'm playing Assault in Conquest Large and getting absolutely destroyed. I'm finishing in the bottom 10 in points on my team and dying 20ish times with only a couple kills. I'm trying to focus on capturing points but am getting killed before i can even see the other players.

I'm only rank 8 so i'm not expecting to be anywhere near the top of the leaderboard; but i hate not helping my team out. I really feel like a burden.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Can someone suggest where to start as a beginner? I'm playing Assault in Conquest Large and getting absolutely destroyed. I'm finishing in the bottom 10 in points on my team and dying 20ish times with only a couple kills. I'm trying to focus on capturing points but am getting killed before i can even see the other players.

I'm only rank 8 so i'm not expecting to be anywhere near the top of the leaderboard; but i hate not helping my team out. I really feel like a burden.

As an Assault, you should play the role of medic instead of actually assaulting, IMO. Stick with your squad and heal/revive when necessary, while focusing on capturing/defending. You'll be racking up the points in no time.

HariKari

Honestly, go play some domination and TDM until you get comfortable with the gunplay and infantry mechanics. It's hard to do that when you are constantly paranoid about vehicles. I know people like to rag on those modes, but they are useful for honing your skills and learning how to play infantry vs infantry in a fair fight.

If you are dying a lot you are probably play too fast and not understanding what is going on around you. This is especially true on infantry heavy maps like Locker. Just take your time and play it slow. Don't use the sprint button unless you have to. Follow your squad and help out with heals and revives. Always drop health on the ground, even if no one needs it.

Don't put anything ridiculous on your gun like a 4x scope. Just use a simple reflex site. Learn to read your minimap, understand where the enemy is and is likely spawning. If you are anything like most players when they start, you are bewildered by everything going on around you and it's hard to see enemies before they kill you. Just slow down. Play one map 24/7 and try to learn every little nuance it has if you have to. Anything to make things less confusing.

Sethos

Banned

First off, don't fall into the bullshit kamikaze-battlefield objective mentality that people preach all the time. It's not a crime against humanity to not bumrush that flag when it's only you and two others when it's being peppered with bullets - Stay back.

Follow the blob. Usually there's a large pack of players that tend to bunch up, independent of squads, they are your golden ticket. If there's more than 4 people bunched, follow them. Then just provide covering fire, throw medkits and don't be a hero.

Don't get too obsessed with your "squad" on public servers because that's usually just lone-wolfs also just running around trying to get some points. Use them to spawn close to the action, throw them a few support options but unless they are part of a bigger group of people, don't bother.

When you start feeling comfortable with the game, learning the maps, tactics, weapons and what to do / not to do, then you can start playing a bit more ballsy.

wowlace

Guys, I'm a lifetime console gamer since the 2600. I'm worried I wont like the 60fps of BF4 on the PS4. I've watched 60fps FPS games at my friends on pc and I always struggle with my eyes. Will I get used to it?

antitrop

Just played three awesome rounds in a row with no crashes, three wins.

I find myself pumping my fist in the air and aggressively humming Battlefield 4's weird variation on the Terminator theme when I win a round. It's awesome.

HariKari

Guys, I'm a lifetime console gamer since the 2600. I'm worried I wont like the 60fps of BF4 on the PS4. I've watched 60fps FPS games at my friends on pc and I always struggle with my eyes. Will I get used to it?

Yes, the fluidity of the motion is what is messing with your eyes. 60fps is actually more natural and you will adapt rather quickly. It will get to the point where looking at anything under 60fps seems like a terrible slideshow.

Sethos

Banned

Yes, then in a few weeks time you'll go "Holy shit, how could I ever stand 30FPS?"

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LOL Commanders Tutorial is too fast and I'm still "LOL WUT"ing at trying to use this mode.

Someone have tips for it? Why can't I missile the tanks?

Thank you for the suggestions. Sounds like I've been playing Assault wrong, definitely for a beginner anyways. Will switch to both First Aid and Defibrillator and hang back a bit and provide support tonight.

Spazznid

LOL Commanders Tutorial is too fast and I'm still "LOL WUT"ing at trying to use this mode.

Someone have tips for it? Why can't I missile the tanks?

You get tools based on what bases you have. they shoulld have a letter next to each tool corresponding to it's required base.

Leb

At this point, I'm far more psyched when I actually get through a match without crashing than I am when I win a match/pull off a 3:1 KDR...

I played 6 hours straight of the campaign, no crashes. Every other MP game, either a CTD or a looping-sound freeze. Now I know what Irish meant when he expressed skepticism regarding the quality of Swedish engineering...

Having a great time with Commander mode, I can't wait to play it on a tablet. There are some odd things, though. Sometimes I'll start doing damage to a vehicle out of nowhere. Vehicle damage 5...10...15...etc until it's destroyed. This occurs when I haven't deployed a gunship or fired any cruise missiles, and gives me a kill as if I pulled the trigger myself.

isual

It's terrible.

Eg.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_LAaCS1IgQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujWKwI-1Ll8
I'm just trying to enjoy it for what it is until the PS4 rolls out. BF3 looks and runs better and that's not saying much. I also don't know if it's just a byproduct of playing the digital version but my FPS is all over the place and the knifing animations are literally like 6 stuttering frames from start to finish.

was seriously thinking of getting this on ps3.

Wow, this is unplayable. What the hell is going on?

is this on ps3 as well ????

Facism

hilarious moment of the night so far is hitting an engineer in close range with the type 88, getting 6 hit markers, dying to his mx4 in what feels like 1 shot, then seeing he has 76hp left.

Was hoping for some progress on that front from the beta. Trying to level up support is depressing in this game.

Sethos

Banned
Well, I needed an emblem and I suck at making them. So Danish flag combined with default skull and boom, shitty emblem in 2 minutes.

ZZ0buxu.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom