• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatPee

I do feel like its going to have all the issues bf3 had after a few months, already can see how heli's will once again dominate soon.
Heck I hit a attack heli with 2 rpg's, didnt even start smoking.

The actual RPG7-v2 or the MBT LAW?

IIRC, the RPG was a one-hit kill on attack helos in the beta. MBT LAW only does ~35 damage per shot at best on them.

Spookie

Forgot how much the squad spawning system pisses me off. I wish it was like back in BF2. OR introduce the system from MoH:W where you can only spawn when they are out of combat. It's impossible to get a squad wipe.

friday

The actual RPG7-v2 or the MBT LAW?

IIRC, the RPG was a one-hit kill on attack helos in the beta. MBT LAW only does ~35 damage per shot at best on them.

Yeah, the LAW is a joke of a weapon. The engineer is pretty weak until you unlock the rpg. Now that I have it though I have shot more than a few helicopters out of the sky.

nbthedude

Ok, I know this is going to be anathematized, but does ANYONE know how to get FULL controller support for this game?

I don't play multiplayer. I just want to play the single player campaign with a controller.

It works most of the time but everytime it brings up an inventory screen I have to use the mouse to navigate it. What the fuck is that? All the button prompts are also for Keyboard. I mean would it really have been that hard to put standard 360 controller support and button prompts? They are releasing it on console after all in just a few weeks. Is there some kind of mod or something I can install to fix this? It's driving me crazy to have to reach over and use the mouse everytime I'm in inventory.

Moosebox

Neo Member
Forgot how much the squad spawning system pisses me off. I wish it was like back in BF2. OR introduce the system from MoH:W where you can only spawn when they are out of combat. It's impossible to get a squad wipe.

'Spawn on squad leader only' is a server side setting. I think it might be defaulted on in hardcore mode, so that is what you are looking for.

kriskrosbbk

Guys , I was thinking to skip BF4 on PS3 and wait for the PS4 ,however I really feel like playing it this afternoon .So I will go and buy it.Then use the upgrade program.
Have a question tho ,do we expect difference in the Digital vs Physical copies in performance? I guess not as physicals must be fully installed now with the next gen,right?
One thing that bothers me is the PS3 disc must be in the tray.Why when I am paying for a digital copy?

mxgt

Banned
can't believe you have to play SP to get some weapon unlocks, complete horse shit

BF3's SP was garbage, played 30 mins of this and was bored to tears. no more.

Sethos

Banned
Okay GAF, time to hate me with a furious passion.

I kind-of like the Battlefield 4 campaign. Mind you I'm not calling it amazing or even great however it wasn't even on the same planet of Battlefield 3's campaign. Battlefield 4 campaign was the right length for the quality, it was beautiful as hell, game has great gunplay making shooting sections enjoyable and had quite a few cool scripted scenes. Plus the variety in levels made each level very unique. Story wise it was as shallow as a puddle but I don't play these games for their story.

It delivered what I wanted, just a quick burn with some nice eye-candy and fun shooting.

Dennis

Banned

I kind-of like the Battlefield 4 campaign. Mind you I'm not calling it amazing or even great however it wasn't even on the same planet of Battlefield 3's campaign. Battlefield 4 campaign was the right length for the quality, it was beautiful as hell, game has great gunplay making shooting sections enjoyable and had quite a few cool scripted scenes. Plus the variety in levels made each level very unique. Story wise it was as shallow as a puddle but I don't play these games for their story.

It delivered what I wanted, just a quick burn with some nice eye-candy and fun shooting.

I like it too. I am not sure how long in the campaign I am but I am at the stormy Shangai level from the gifs.

The level up to that one I would rate as maybe 5/10 while the storm level is easily a 8 or 9/10

antitrop

Poor enemy AI and weird spawns sabotages any sort of decent shooting mechanics, but you're certainly not wrong for having fun. The campaign certainly isn't without merit, and I agree, it's substantially better than BF3.

Ubersnug

Guys, going to ask 2, possibly stupid questions here:

1) Where in battlelog can you choose new colours for your UNIFORM? As far as I can tell, I can only change the skins for vehicles and weapons.

2) Am I able to use my PC as a second screen for the Xbox 360 version of the game? If so, anyone have any idea how I can do that within battlelog?

RS4-

Lol, no BSODs since launch, 1 BSOD and 3 CTDs in the past 20 mins of campaign trying to unlock the last stupid gun.

Bailers

Guys, going to ask 2, possibly stupid questions here:

1) Where in battlelog can you choose new colours for your UNIFORM? As far as I can tell, I can only change the skins for vehicles and weapons.

1 - From within the game, it should be the last option on the bottom to customize, below your weapons and gear. If you are premium you should have one or two uniforms to choose from even before you rank up and get more.

I realized I would need to give up on it when in the first mission in Baku you need to use the grenade launcher. And I had to replay that mission four times because I didn't shoot in the exact right place or at the exact right time. The game looks fantastic. But screw that monster closet stuff. I saw enemies standing in place, and a helicopter suspended in air, until I crossed a line and they started moving.

Late on some of this:

Yes. It's in softcore. DICE originally intended it to be that way for all modes, wasn't it?

In any case, a lot of people (rightly) said "no we don't want that as a default" and DICE reversed that decision or something to where it's a "hardcore" or custom server choice.

I'd say it's partly bug and partly "custom" filters.

NEED AMMO.
NEED AMMO.
NEED AMMO.
NEED AMMO.
NEED AMMO.
NEED AMMO.
NEED AMMO.

I'd be surprised if they don't change the reload mechanic. I actually like it, but they'll probably cave, like they did with squad leader-only spawning.

Also, I just had one of those amazing Defuse rounds. Everybody dead, last man standing versus the entire team. See a guy, throw a grenade and kill him ( Not in the GIF ) and then ...

battlefield_4___5_kill_round___4_shown___by_thesethos-d6sj5vo.gif

It's the little things in life.

Glorious. You Youtubing any of your matches?

Sethos

Banned
I like it too. I am not sure how long in the campaign I am but I am at the stormy Shangai level from the gifs.

The level up to that one I would rate as maybe 5/10 while the storm level is easily a 8 or 9/10

That's the fourth mission out of seven, last few levels are fairly short as far as I recall. So maybe 1.5 hour and you are done, tops - I'd almost say an hour or less. Unless you screenshot and GIF everything, then it might be more :p

Glorious. You Youtubing any of your matches?

Not yet, still need to get a proper feel for it. So right now it's just ShadowPlay at work.

antitrop

I realized I would need to give up on it when in the first mission in Baku you need to use the grenade launcher. And I had to replay that mission four times because I didn't shoot in the exact right place or at the exact right time. The game looks fantastic. But screw that monster closet stuff. I saw enemies standing in place, and a helicopter suspended in air, until I crossed a line and they started moving.

There's an awful part in the second mission where you have to lay mines around two patrolling tanks. It's one of the worst parts I've played in any first person shooter this entire generation, you would probably hate it. It's not difficult, it's just bad.

Not yet, still need to get a proper feel for it. So right now it's just ShadowPlay at work.

MOAR GIFS =D

Ubersnug

1 - From within the game, it should be the last option on the bottom to customize, below your weapons and gear. If you are premium you should have one or two uniforms to choose from even before you rank up and get more.

Thanks for that.

Ubersnug said:
2) Am I able to use my PC as a second screen for the Xbox 360 version of the game? If so, anyone have any idea how I can do that within battlelog?

Anyone able to answer this?

Sethos

Banned
There's an awful part in the second mission where you have to lay mines around two patrolling tanks. It's one of the worst parts I've played in any first person shooter this entire generation, you would probably hate it. It's not difficult, it's just bad.

Why not just take the C4, run up to the tank and blow that shit up? No need to bother with mines.

MOAR GIFS =D

Will do when I get some material.

Overdoziz

Banned
I just C4'd them.

antitrop

Why not just take the C4, run up to the tank and blow that shit up? No need to bother with mines.
I just C4'd them.
A fair suggestion.

There's nothing more frustrating than playing an awesome game and having it crash 1 minute before the game ends.

Lost all my experience probably. Fucking annoying in a game like this where progress goes very slow.

As far as I heard, you get credit for the match as long as you don't join another one before the server finishes?

There's nothing more frustrating than playing an awesome game and having it crash 1 minute before the game ends.

Lost all my experience probably. Fucking annoying in a game like this where progress goes very slow.

Dennis

Banned
That's the fourth mission out of seven, last few levels are fairly short as far as I recall. So maybe 1.5 hour and you are done, tops - I'd almost say an hour or less. Unless you screenshot and GIF everything, then it might be more :p

Damn, that really is a short campaign. I am taking it slow for obvious reason but people who just power through must be disappointed in the length. Really, with that dev time they couldn't make a meatier campaign?

I thought the campaign was serviceable. It does a good job of showing off the tech (even though the later levels are not that impressive anymore) and I like some of the refinements that make it feel a bit closer to the mp. (Weapon boxes, scoring system) Certainly much better than BF3. Story is complete garbage of course, what were they thinking?
It definitely has helped me improve my aiming, I am feeling more more comfortable now compared to the beta. I got BF4+Premium for 50 bucks so I won't complain about the value...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The weapon unlocking system is making the MP matches really imbalanced because iron sites/default sites are basically worthless and it takes for fucking ever to get good ones.

LOL. GET GUD. Iron Sights forever.

The Ticket counts on Rush matches default to ridiculous lows so playing attackers is close to impossible. I think I've won on the attacking team maybe twice out of dozens of matches that sometimes last all of 5 minutes while defending is almost a certain win.

STOP PLAYING ON 64-PLAYER SERVERS. DICE DID NOT intend their default ticket counts for that mode to work on 64-players!

Domination is a COD wannabe POS mode. The Rush maps suck. Everything is for Conquest. All the other maps are just shoehorned into that template.

Okay. You may have a half point here, since the same thing happened with BF3. But Domination isn't a "CoD POS mode" since it is a "CoD" mode.

Many of the maps are over crowded in a 64 player game.

See above: Anything that isn't Conquest-64 is not meant to be played at 64-players that's why most of the maps are "over crowded" and "terrible" because they're ruining the mode.

The boost packs are COD 101.

"Squall...I'm...Dying...""Whatever".jpg

GolazoDan

Got this on PC, my first PC Battlefield and really the first PC first person shooter I want to play with keyboard and mouse. Still getting used to the controls, hope I don't get mauled too badly.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Can't remember the last time I was able to play an entire round, wonder why no major site is mentioning this at all.

I am really surprised that people think this is an improvement over BF3 (which I thought wasn't great either)

IMO it has all the problems of BF3 but only worse.

The weapon unlocking system is making the MP matches really imbalanced because iron sites/default sites are basically worthless and it takes for fucking ever to get good ones.

The Ticket counts on Rush matches default to ridiculous lows so playing attackers is close to impossible. I think I've won on the attacking team maybe twice out of dozens of matches that sometimes last all of 5 minutes while defending is almost a certain win.

Domination is a COD wannabe POS mode. The Rush maps suck. Everything is for Conquest. All the other maps are just shoehorned into that template.

Many of the maps are over crowded in a 64 player game.

The boost packs are COD 101.

I can't get excited about playing this game right now. It feels like a chore.

What an utter disappointment. I don't care if it looks pretty.

This has me concerned. I grew to absolutely loathe BF3 due to its level design and suppression nonsense and I really don't want another Battlefield game that falls into the same pit.

How are the levels overall? Much improved from BF3? Now that its been out in the wild for a few days, anybody care to post some of their impressions?

TheSeks

Dude is a little annoying but seems spot on. WTF at the uselessness of the flashbangs?

They don't blind for very long, that's why. If DICE changed it it'd be more useful but probably kill a lot of monitor/TV's from people abusing them.

Honestly anything that isn't the default M67 Grenade seems pretty useless to me.

Bombless

Or you can just grab C4 from the box and blow them up in 2 mins tops.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tank encounter was easy.

I liked the campaign enough because it spent more time letting me play and less time jerking itself off with QTEs and over scripted horseshit, which is largely what held Battlefield 3's campaign back. The shooting feels good, the AI is kinda dumb and the spawn scripting a bit weird, but the encounter zones are all far more open than anything in Battlefield 3, have more structures and cover to use to your advantage, and don't feel anywhere near as restricted. It's still a linear shootbang with simple military mechanics, a weak narrative, and pretty graphics, but the shoot-outs were fun and therefore it delivered on half of what I wanted.

This has me concerned. I grew to absolutely loathe BF3 due to its level design and suppression nonsense and I really don't want another Battlefield game that falls into the same pit.

How are the levels overall? Much improved from BF3? Now that its been out in the wild for a few days, anybody care to post some of their impressions?

Well, you for sure don't have to worry about suppression.

I've said it before, but I trust guys like Jackfrags, LevelCap, and xFactor when it comes to evaluating BF4 (and BF3 for that matter). They've both said that level design is much better than BF3, at least so far.

And you either love CQ DM or you don't. I love it.

TheSeks

Late on some of this:

I'd be surprised if they don't change the reload mechanic. I actually like it, but they'll probably cave, like they did with squad leader-only spawning.

The new mechanic wouldn't be bad if people threw out ammo, but they don't. And frankly, it makes no sense (outside of "realism") to lose an entire mag of 15 bullets from a 25-bullet magazine just because you reloaded. Surely that'd go into an ammopool to be used later, but it doesn't. It's just... gone.

And squad-leader spawn was stupid all around because most of the modes don't work for that.

RS4-

Better than bf3 because of the maps alone.

Suppression is there, but it isn't as poorly implemented as 3. It's still noticeable when you're lining up a shot and it goes wide because you're taking fire.

Some dom maps are on the small side.

Other than the crashes, and server lag I think it's been pretty good.

Obliteration is just bad until they have some sort of game time limit. Even then, not a fan of it.

Power weapon spawns need to be balanced too in terms of map placement, especially in non conquest because of the start spawns being all over the place.

kudoboi

Wait, I thought a lower ping was better for the connection? Why are they putting a minimum instead of a maximum.

id assume its so that their country or clan have the upper hand. sadly south east asia is a very small place so most of the time you will have pings below 15 unless you have slow or unstable internet

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Had a quick whirl of Dawnbreaker. Eh. Seems like one of those forgettable small player count grind maps, so I'll pass. Shanghai is well designed and bigger so if I want an urban map I'll jump on that.

Rogue Transmission is really great. Good size for 64 players, capture points are nicely separated, and the map mixes inner land vehicles and air with infantry pretty well.

EDIT: The ammo thing totally threw me until probably the last 50% or so games total I've played. It wasn't in the beta, now it's here. I don't mind it actually, as I like the pressure it puts on players manage their magazine during encounters. I see a lot more sidearm switching. But it is a problem when ammo is so scarce.

Suppression is there, but it isn't as poorly implemented as 3. It's still noticeable when you're lining up a shot and it goes wide because you're taking fire.

They removed accuracy penalties in exchange for weapon sway while suppressed. If the shot is lined up, it should still hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom