• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Them high pings though...

And then the game refusing to shutdown. :|

Spl1nter

Hmm, sniping is taking a bit of time to adjust to now that everything is zeroed for 100m. Has made everything past mid range screwy for me. Going to take a while to get used to. Also, decided to finally unlock use the L96 with the changes post patch.

TheSeks

Hmm, sniping is taking a bit of time to adjust to now that everything is zeroed for 100m. Has made everything past mid range screwy for me. Going to take a while to get used to. Also, decided to finally unlock use the L96 with the changes post patch.

Isn't the 100m zero change just cosmetic? Everything under 100m is still the same/bang-on isn't it? Everything over 100m->200m is the same as usual?

Spl1nter

Isn't the 100m zero change just cosmetic? Everything under 100m is still the same/bang-on isn't it? Everything over 100m->200m is the same as usual?

100m shot is now dead center. Before you had to adjust for drop - of course there isnt much at 100m. However, with the way I snipe it just has made for a bit of an odd adjustment. Especially at 150-250m ranges, which I consider very long range for my style.

TheSeks

DICE patch breaking shit 2: Electric Boogaloo:

7EqQjRs.jpg

As you can see, loadout is correct but images are gone. Which means... *drumroll*

Disappearing kit items that don't have images! Oh and no enemy models! FUN! INVISIBLE MEN TO TRY TO HIT WITH A PISTOL! Teammates not having weapons!

#THANKSOBAMADICE

TheSeks

It's neither, inbetween the Towerfall.

Zavod is the best vanilla map outside of Rush. For Rush the best vanilla map is
none.

burnfout

I hope BF5 scales back on stuff. So much indirect crap in BF4 pissing me off.

Please remove:

- UCAVs
- Commanders
- RAWRs
- Gunship
- Bombers

I just want the base game of soldiers and vehicles.

TheSeks

Bombers aren't that huge an issue. Camp the site, pop the dude coming out. Oh, you're not doing that? Then leave the flags for about 10 seconds for the missiles to hit and then get back to capping. Hell throw in the AC-130 circles one flag so it's really ineffective most of the time.

He's right in a sense, I love BF4, but even I think it has to much, it lacks focus.

It's a big reason why BC2, 1943 are my favourite modern BF games.

Please remove:

- UCAVs
- Commanders
- RAWRs
- Gunship
- Bombers

Pretty much agree, and it was so funny when everyone begged them to bring back Commander mode and now we hate it :D

Would just rebalance some of these though, and commanders should only be available when both teams have one applying to be a commander. Those onesided fights suuuuck.

But yeah, BF4 has a sick amount of equipment to choose from and to watch out for.

Mahonay

Banned
1943 is my favorite Frostbite Battlefield game full stop. It's so tightly focused and balanced with no pointless fluff and bullshit.
I played a lot of 1943 on the 360 and had a ton of fun with it, but it controlled like total ass on consoles. Everything felt "mushy".

todahawk

Please remove:

- UCAVs
- Commanders
- RAWRs
- Gunship
- Bombers

I hate the Commander addition, just hate it. Companion app bullshit.

It's neither, inbetween the Towerfall.

Zavod is the best vanilla map outside of Rush. For Rush the best vanilla map is
none.
Love Zavod and I miss Rush mode a ton.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
980hrs and I'm just discovering the fun that is shotguns in locker. Nice change of pace.

also just realized that when I use the HVM, I can take my aim off a chopper until his flares stop. Then aim at him again and get the kill every time. For the first time in BF I feel guilty using a weapon but daddy needs that service star if he's ever gonna reach 140 before I die.

Boggles my mind that I have yet to see anyone else go for the HVM, when it is essentially a minimum of 2 free kills.

also trying to get the service star for the stinger, which I used in the beginning to deal with chopper aces before I found better options. Now trying to get the last 10 kills for the service star has taken me over 2 weeks to get just 4 kills (6 to go.) It has got to me the most useless weapon in BF4 now. Multiple times, I've hit a chopper with 4 stingers only to have everyone jump out. The only time I can get a stinger kill now is if the stars align just right and I shoot a damaged chopper and the pilot is too high to realize he should have jumped out already. It's kinda funny to think how that was so OP when the game released and how useless it is now.

did not expect to rant, but my mind refuses to think about work today.

TheSeks

also just realized that when I use the HVM, I can take my aim off a chopper until his flares stop. Then aim at him again and get the kill every time. For the first time in BF I feel guilty using a weapon but daddy needs that service star if he's ever gonna reach 140 before I die.

Or you can just track them and it'll relock on. Problem is some maps with the Starburst like Dawnbreaker can have the missiles smack into someone before the relock happens.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
I would have loved commander mode if I had a tablet. No question I would have all the assignments for it. All from my toilet before 8am.

as a mode to play on my console. It can't keep my attention. I feel like a damn water boy. No thanks.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
Or you can just track them and it'll relock on. Problem is some maps with the Starburst like Dawnbreaker can have the missiles smack into someone before the relock happens.

I had luck with that a few times, but ya the rockets would hit random objects. I found aiming directly up while It reloads gets me the kill 100% of the time. Something I would have probably known if I watched you tube videos.

TheSeks

as a mode to play on my console. It can't keep my attention. I feel like a damn water boy. No thanks.

I can't imagine playing it on consoles. On PC it becomes a RTS lite and the shortcuts for squads (1/A, 2/B, 3/C...) and shortcuts like CTRL+A to select all squads and then point them at an objective (before Commander was removed from Rush, Bomb in Sabotage) makes for easy easy easy points.

Go into Metro Conquest during 2XP. Throw on the 200% boost. UAV/EMP the B flag constantly and CTRL+A order all squads to attack/defend B, provided there isn't an enemy commander online, you'll easily get 10K as you would with a Medic no sweat. Probably a bit less points, but if you do good you can easily get a shit ton of Commander service stars. I did like 2-4 hours during this last 2XP and jumped from 25 service stars or so (whatever was near my infantry stars) to 75 stars. Insane just from doing that.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
great advise, I will try it next 2xp. Ya, console commander controls suck. It's like trying to send a text on an old phone that has just numbers.

TheSeks

Note you don't want to put the EMP and UAV over each other. You want to have a little overlap but you want to make sure two areas are covered. If you're on the... US? side the south of the map spawning team, UAV B and EMP the north side of the Metro with the boundary hitting the south of A a little.

Keep spamming those and Evac orders on hot-spots (generally the alley) as fast as you can (probably not as fast as PC with keyboard and mouse shortcuts) while the squad points from Evacs and squad order followed bonuses rack up so you can rapid deploy/squad reinforce the squads that are following your orders.

I made a cool easy 30K doing this last 2XP.

Yeah the UCAV and the SRAW blow chunks now, guess I'll just SMAW fools instead?

I know these patches are supposed to be for balance, but I don't think it really works if it makes the OP weapons so bad literally nobody uses them. When was the last time someone actually ran with SLAMs, for example? Although I'm pretty much a one man crime wave with the MPX, so I guess it helped in some ways...

When do we get the new fangled community
clusterfuck
map?

TheSeks

I still run SLAMs now and then. If only because they can actually be put in semi-deep water on Paracel's islands area, AT mines can't be put in the water if you're "treading water."

SLAMs deserved the nerf they got a while back. There was no reason to run AT mines when the SLAMs could do the same job while being much more versatile. Buffing AT mine damage was not a good solution as they would still be less versatile and the SLAMs would've still been able to do the same job either way.

The SRAW is still a great AT launcher and still has the shortest reload time of any of the rocket launchers. It was never meant to be used vs aircraft. And yes, the dedicated AA launchers are weaksauce, but they'll be worked on for the next patch.

The UCAV nerf is a stopgap, though I wouldn't mind if they kept it as is.

Pretty much agree, and it was so funny when everyone begged them to bring back Commander mode and now we hate it :D

Not surprising when it's clearly half-assed and made for touchscreens rather than actually being a good addition to the game. They removed the tablet support recently so maybe they can try to fix it a tiny bit in the future.

And yeah, lots of unnecessary stuff was added to the game. UCAV, SUAV, 3GL grenade launcher, Ballistics Shield, etc etc etc.

wrongway

man, every time I see modern Battlefield balance talk I just end up wishing for a return to WW2.

Battlefield 1944, with Frostbite and DICE's fantastic sound work, and all the simple low-tech stuff that lends itself so well to smooth, balanced, non-gimmicky gameplay. Iron bombs and flak cannons, unguided rockets and no magic deflector shields... it'd be so good.

But it'll never happen because you can't unlock a thousand sights and grips and shit for your guns.

:(

TheSeks

oh for sure, but it still sucks to die from AC130's and Cruise missiles etc. on open maps knowing that your own team will not have such tools or countermeasures.

Jet's can take out cruise missiles and AC-130's if they know there is an enemy commander. Hell, an RCB can shoot the cruise missile as well. IIRC even small-arms fire combined will stop the cruise but it's risky.

The commander isn't as all-powerful as you make him out to be. His support items are very very predictable. The only "all-powerful" thing is the EMP/UAV. The UAV especially as it can be spammed and has a pretty large area.

----

Anyyyyyway: OMG MIRROR'S EDGE 2222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222. *FOAMS AT MOUTH* OMG OMG OMG OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG THE RETURN OF THE DICE-DICE KING. *foams*

Mahonay

Banned
This, the UAV is the only commander ability that can consistently make a significant difference.
Absolutely.

I rage so hard when I'm making a really sneaky flank that's taken me a while to get to, only to have the enemy turn and shoot at me on a dime even when their backs are completely turned to me. I check the scoreboard and sure enough the enemy team has a commander. It's the fucking worst.

I would have loved commander mode if I had a tablet. No question I would have all the assignments for it. All from my toilet before 8am.

It's pretty fun on a tablet, even if I hate it when I'm playing in a game. Literal power at your finger tips. DICE is discontinuing their support for the tablet app in August though. They say that most players are using Commander Mode on their consoles/PCs so it's not worth their while to support the tablet app, which I'm not sure that I buy.

TheSeks

It's pretty fun on a tablet, even if I hate it when I'm playing in a game. Literal power at your finger tips. DICE is discontinuing their support for the tablet app in August though. They say that most players are using Commander Mode on their consoles/PCs so it's not worth their while to support the tablet app, which I'm not sure that I buy.

I buy it. I have spent 100% of my Commander time on the PC version. Never the tablet/phone. Haven't tried the console versions despite buying the PS3 version a while ago on sale. I can't imagine how it controls there.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Silk road tbag room is the only server worth playing for me on PS4 nowadays. Always guaranteed to have a blast lol

burnfout

So many Large Scale Battle mixed maps servers since the last patch.

Fucking loving it. I have 5+ in my favorites, can find a full one every single day now.

Great stuff playing Operation Mortar, Caspian Border and Propaganda back to back <3 <3

rafaelr

i´ve been trying bf4 on PS4 again with the spring patch a bit over the past week, not really sure how i feel about it.
i don´t think i´ve had this many kill-trades in this game at any point before. i thought that was supposed to be a thing of the past?
the sraw nerf was pretty hard to swallow at first, and while i find it´s still somewhat possible to use against attack or transport choppers i´ve resigned to using stingers on any map with a scout chopper.
the gun and grip changes i´m still trying to figure out, if anyone could point me to a nice writeup/youtube vid i´d be very grateful. the tracers seem way too big, no idea if they just put them in or if they tested different settings on the cte, but i just find them distracting.

todahawk

Absolutely.

I rage so hard when I'm making a really sneaky flank that's taken me a while to get to, only to have the enemy turn and shoot at me on a dime even when their backs are completely turned to me. I check the scoreboard and sure enough the enemy team has a commander. It's the fucking worst.

Yes, this right here. I absolutely despise that shit. Loathe it... especially when I'm running all silenced weapons. I really hope they drop that shit for BF5 but I'm not holding my breath.

Silk road tbag room is the only server worth playing for me on PS4 nowadays. Always guaranteed to have a blast lol
Ha, is that they one where they encourage tea-bagging right in the server notes? I was on that one and BUTT FRENZY a lot this weekend.

TheSeks

To do well against a commander, you need to &#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608; team and &#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608; shoot the missiles because they are highly &#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;. Then you win.

Again: Commander isn't as powerful as you guys make him out to be. The UAV is the only annoying part, everything else is pretty damn predictable. And then hilarious if you're falling off buildings as a missile comes in like I have done a few times. Can't hit what predicts you're going to attempt to tomahawk on the head, Commanders.

Top Bottom