• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4 multiplayer issues

a916

I'm having a lot of trouble finding any games with the server browser through the game... but it's surprisingly easy to get into matches using Quick Match. Though thing is, I haven't played a match with more than 18 players in the match.

Played probably a good 15-20 matches last night, worked perfectly with no hitches save for some odd lag for a few seconds.

Steel

Banned
I'm having a lot of trouble finding any games with the server browser through the game... but it's surprisingly easy to get into matches using Quick Match. Though thing is, I haven't played a match with more than 18 players in the match.

Played probably a good 15-20 matches last night, worked perfectly with no hitches save for some odd lag for a few seconds.

Weird. I've been in plenty of 32 person matches. You're going to rush or obliteration right? Conquest just doesn't work.

tuco11

Since nobody talks, what buttons do you press to let someone know you need ammo/health. I cant figure it out for the life of me lol!! hold R1 then what ?

Since nobody talks, what buttons do you press to let someone know you need ammo/health. I cant figure it out for the life of me lol!! hold R1 then what ?

Hold R1 then fling the joystick in whatever direction the prompt is. No ones talking because voice chat is limited to your squad only

AmyS

Update:

When the title screen loads and you hit options, once connected the message is that they've identified an issue with Commander Mode and they've disabled it while they work on a fix.

I notice on Battlelog (PC) that I can still connect PS4 games, but they've disabled the server browser, it seems.

I was just in a Conquest match, was in for about 7 min or so before it disconnected.

AmyS

Got disconnected from Obliteration within 3 minutes.

They are doing SOMETHING, but whether it makes things better or just breaks other things is anyone's guess...

Edit:
Okay on Battlelog/PC I can search for servers and apply filters, I thought I thought that was disabled. Nevermind.

todahawk

dead-gold-fish.jpg

How the fuck does BF4 get the following metacritic scores:

PC: 83
360: 80
PS4: 87 <- seriously WTF?!
PS3: 80

I skipped around and read a few reviews and saw no mention of the online issues all versions are having. Some dings on the single player and lack of true innovation on MP but even the handful I skimmed should've had some mention of the broken multiplayer... Insanity.

I skipped around and read a few reviews and saw no mention of the online issues all versions are having. Some dings on the single player and lack of true innovation on MP but even the handful I skimmed should've had some mention of the broken multiplayer... Insanity.

I think joystiq mentioned the CE error back in October stating they received it 5 times while they were playing. Sounds like it's been out there but pretty much ignored

b0bbyJ03

I called gamestop and told them i wanted to return my copy because it was broken and they said they dont take back games after they were opened so i called EA and lost my shit over the phone (you have to go on their site and sign up for a call back, they called in less than a minute). I told the rep that the game was broken and that it was unacceptable and he said that if i send it back to them they will send me a new copy in the box to return to the store i purchased it from. so for those what want to return the game there is that option.

on a related note, has anyone been able to get into a 64 player server? (thread is too long to go thru the whole thing)

tuco11

"Hold R1 then fling the joystick in whatever direction the prompt is"

Is that the way it is across all platforms? To many button presses in heat of battle. Not very intuitive. Wasnt it just hitting the back button in BF3 (I had it on xbox 360) ?

thanks.

I called gamestop and told them i wanted to return my copy because it was broken and they said they dont take back games after they were opened so i called EA and lost my shit over the phone (you have to go on their site and sign up for a call back, they called in less than a minute). I told the rep that the game was broken and that it was unacceptable and he said that if i send it back to them they will send me a new copy in the box to return to the store i purchased it from. so for those what want to return the game there is that option.

on a related note, has anyone been able to get into a 64 player server? (thread is too long to go thru the whole thing)

You can get in them but as soon as player count hits over a certain threshold (like 20 people) game crashes

So this is a little off-topic, asking here since none have started a thread on BF4 SP issues on the PS4. So here's my problem. My BF4 single player campaign save data gets deleted, leaving me to start the campaign all over again. It has happened 4 times and all four times I was either in the Singapore mission or a mission earlier to reaching Singapore. It's frustrating. Anyone could give me an explanation?

b0bbyJ03

You can get in them but as soon as player count hits over a certain threshold (like 20 people) game crashes

i've been able to get into 32 player matches with no issues for a few hours. i can't even get into a 64 player server. i guess the question is has anyone played a match with the full 64 players. i just want to know that even if its not working, that is will be possible.

Pastry

Banned
Update:

When the title screen loads and you hit options, once connected the message is that they've identified an issue with Commander Mode and they've disabled it while they work on a fix.

I notice on Battlelog (PC) that I can still connect PS4 games, but they've disabled the server browser, it seems.

I was just in a Conquest match, was in for about 7 min or so before it disconnected.

Anymore luck with Conquest?

i've been able to get into 32 player matches with no issues for a few hours. i can't even get into a 64 player server. i guess the question is has anyone played a match with the full 64 players. i just want to know that even if its not working, that is will be possible.

I've been in 32 player matches (not conquest) as well what I'm saying is that yes you have been able to join conquest servers but when they reach a certain threshold like 20/64 they crash every single time. All you need to do is add one to your favorites and keep refreshing it. Watch player count go up until a certain point then back to zero

see5harp

So this is a little off-topic, asking here since none have started a thread on BF4 SP issues on the PS4. So here's my problem. My BF4 single player campaign save data gets deleted, leaving me to start the campaign all over again. It has happened 4 times and all four times I was either in the Singapore mission or a mission earlier to reaching Singapore. It's frustrating. Anyone could give me an explanation?

Same thing has happened to numerous people in this thread, including myself.

b0bbyJ03

I've been in 32 player matches (not conquest) as well what I'm saying is that yes you have been able to join conquest servers but when they reach a certain threshold like 20/64 they crash every single time. All you need to do is add one to your favorites and keep refreshing it. Watch player count go up until a certain point then back to zero

what a bummer. thanks for the quick response. all i wanted was 64 player conquest. it was the reason i bought this damn game. i really hope they fix this soon

Same thing has happened to numerous people in this thread, including myself.

So I am not alone then, could this be an issue caused by the bf4 patch that went live on Friday? Is there a fix to this? I want to badly play through the campaign since I love it so much, but due to my current work schedule, I am just unable to devote more than 2-3hours of nonstop gaming. Thus after 2-3hrs of bf4, I would have to stop playing and resume the following day, but haven't been able to thanks to the save information being deleted.

sangreal

now that I finally got through the single player campaign uncorrupted I tried to play mp.. failed to join conquest; failed to join rush; dont have dlc for air superiority

what a joke this game is

I had a fairly fairly specific problem. I joined a team death match and I spawned and had no gun. And I couldn't shoot. Then I could shoot but no gun was there. It was weird. I could zoom in too.

AmyS

Holy Fuck.

I was in Siege of Shagnhai - Conquest Large - 64 with NOBODY there. I spent like 15 minutes or so trying to figure out how to bring down the tower. Took A LOT of hits with the M1 Abrams main gun to weaken the support pillars. Never done this before plus I had no idea exactly where to hit. Just kept trying to destroy 3 different supports.

Then I could hear it was about to collapse, and then it did. I was fumbling to back the tank out and also try to get out of the tank so I could see the collapse but I hit the wrong button. Amazingly the server did not crash.

I died in the collapse but then took one of the choppers out to see if I could see anything. Tons of smoke (no framerate dips that I can speak of) Then I crashed the chopper into the water. I must have been there for 20 min cause I started typing this and eventually idled out of the server. Sadly, I didn't get to see what the building collapse really looked like but that was my fault for not getting out of the damn way in time.

Again, to have much chance of getting into Conquest, and to have a decent MP experience in other modes in general, you have to use Battlelog on another device to connect PS4 servers. I don't own a tablet so i just use a cheap laptop. I refuse to even attempt trying to get in by just directly using PS4 on its own.

So since EA is downplaying the issue and game journalists aren't doing jack shit, can we start a petition or something to get peoples attention on this?

I figure if this gets big enough at least maybe we can get some free DLC.

Majanew

Banned
Holy Fuck.

I was in Siege of Shagnhai - Conquest Large - 64 with NOBODY there. I spent like 15 minutes or so trying to figure out how to bring down the tower. Took A LOT of hits with the M1 Abrams main gun to weaken the support pillars. Never done this before plus I had no idea exactly where to hit. Just kept trying to destroy 3 different supports.

Then I could hear it was about to collapse, and then it did. I was fumbling to back the tank out and also try to get out of the tank so I could see the collapse but I hit the wrong button. Amazingly the server did not crash.

I died in the collapse but then took one of the choppers out to see if I could see anything. Tons of smoke (no framerate dips that I can speak of) Then I crashed the chopper into the water. I must have been there for 20 min cause I started typing this and eventually idled out of the server. Sadly, I didn't get to see what the building collapse really looked like but that was my fault for not getting out of the damn way in time.

Again, to have much chance of getting into Conquest, and to have a decent MP experience in other modes in general, you have to use Battlelog on another device to connect PS4 servers. I don't own a tablet so i just use a cheap laptop. I refuse to even attempt trying to get in by just directly using PS4 on its own.

I've been using server browser to go into empty 64-player Conquest maps for the past few days to check out the maps. Even had a guy come in yesterday and we were duking it out lol.

And the way to take the Skyscraper down in Shanghai is by destroying the 4 columns on the side facing the water. I don't have the RPG unlocked yet, but it only took 2 RPG hits per column to bring it down in the beta.

J-P

Neo Member
Holy Fuck.

You don't have to use battlelog. Just use quick match and only try for Team DM, Obliteration, or Rush . After my save file was corrupt, i couldn't get into any multiplayer matches, but once i deleted the save file it worked again.

I can only imagine what this game will be like when it works all the time (if that ever happens). For me i haven't enjoyed anything like this since the first Modern Warfare. I can't imagine going back to Call of Duty. Now that this is 60fps....it's just so good. I really hope they give us party support in a future update. If they do, i can see myself playing this non stop until the next one comes out. Obliteration is so damn fun and intense.

I agree that it is unacceptable in its current state, but honestly i just can't stop playing.

So since EA is downplaying the issue and game journalists aren't doing jack shit, can we start a petition or something to get peoples attention on this?

Set it up, I'll sign. This is a joke of a game and I am disappointed that Sony would let this pass cert. I personally enjoy Killzone, but I bought BF4 for 64 player Conquest and was unaware that it wasn't working (no media coverage) before buying.

JLG-

Welp i keep losing connection playing rush and now my ps4 is frozen..

edit: and now my save file is corrupted. Wonderful.

Majanew

Banned
Set it up, I'll sign. This is a joke of a game and I am disappointed that Sony would let this pass cert. I personally enjoy Killzone, but I bought BF4 for 64 player Conquest and was unaware that it wasn't working (no media coverage) before buying.

Yep. Conquest IS Battlefield. For that mode to not work is a damn joke. DICE spends so much time on Frostbite that they forget to make sure BF fucking works by time it's supposed to ship. I guess the talk that they were thinking about delaying BF4 would have been a good call.

AmyS

You don't have to use battlelog. Just use quick match and only try for Team DM, Obliteration, or Rush . After my save file was corrupt, i couldn't get into any multiplayer matches, but once i deleted the save file it worked again.

While you don't *have* to use Battlelog on another device, you just use Quick Match, I find MP works significantly better with it and won't be going back.

I also cannot live without having the map on another screen.

I made it up to the Mission where you blow up the Damn.

Then I ATTEMPTED to play an online game, got disconnected, then booted to the PS4 Home Screen with the Error code.

I re-booted the game, tried ot resume the campaign and it told me the file was corrupted and continuing would overwrite it - with no option NOT to continue it.

I clicked the only button that was available and bang - lost all my campaign progress.

I'm not going to try to play BF4 again until the Patch drops, which supposedly isn't until next week.

AC4 just patched with 1080p native - so I'll go play that and more Killzone.

While I'm posting...

ONCE AGAIN - DICE ships a Battlefield game with BUGS, GLITCHES AND HORRIBLE ONLINE CONNECTIVITY.

10+ YEARS OF BATTLEFIELD GAMES AND WE'RE STILL HAVING THESE ISSUES AT LAUNCH?!?!?!?!

COME ON EA!!! COME ONE DICE!!!

Maybe this is why CoD always sells more. It may be inferior TECH, but they sure as hell make sure their servers WORK!!!

Definity

I blasted away on twitter last night to several EA folks. I actually got a response back from Peter Moore and he wanted to get me in touch with customer service to troubleshoot. Really sad. I told him the game was broke on PS4 and he told me that wasn't true and his server counts proved otherwise.

I also asked Jim Sterling on twitter to bring it up but no response.

While I'm posting...

ONCE AGAIN - DICE ships a Battlefield game with BUGS, GLITCHES AND HORRIBLE ONLINE CONNECTIVITY.

10+ YEARS OF BATTLEFIELD GAMES AND WE'RE STILL HAVING THESE ISSUES AT LAUNCH?!?!?!?!

Maybe this is why CoD always sells more. It may be inferior TECH, but they sure as hell make sure their servers WORK!!!

Yup, completely inexcusable. Im getting real sick and tired of beta testing for DICE and EA.

They need to get their shit together or somebody needs to slap them with a class action suit.

the only way for EA to make it up to me for this clusterfuck of a game is they give everyone Premium for free. we all know that's not going to happen so, Fuck You EA and congrats on your third worst company in America award.

It amazes me how journalists can be trusted without doing some real world reviews of these games. the game is broken, I don't remember seeing any reviewer mention that.

I just want to see some motherfuckers publically shamed over this shit. I hate this whole "don't worry, a patch will come eventually" mantra. This isn't because of patching an exploit or balancing weapons-the game that we all spent 60 bucks on and can do NOTHING with it. This should be on the front page of every tech site right now. Like someone said before, EA knows they can get away with it, so there's no detriment to them.

hew9753

While I'm posting...

DICE has always had issues with their game launches but this is an all time low. This goes beyond bugs and glitches. The game is broken. Period.

At least in the past we've had a shitty single player campaign to distract ourselves with while the online issues get figured out. This time we don't even have that.

fritolay

Holy Fuck.

I don't know why you use battlelog. It is not needed unless I am missing something. You just have to use server browser with the right settings.

txag2005

Banned
I blasted away on twitter last night to several EA folks. I actually got a response back from Peter Moore and he wanted to get me in touch with customer service to troubleshoot. Really sad. I told him the game was broke on PS4 and he told me that wasn't true and his server counts proved otherwise.

Deny deny deny

fritolay

While I'm posting...

I don't think COD you played on servers before, it was P2P. Is the PS4 version of ghosts on servers?

blahness

Should have told him to come back to GAF if he thought it wasn't true.

txag2005

Banned
What makes this bad to me is that under all this BS is a really fun and solid multiplayer game. Even as somebody who is pretty new to mp shooters and sucks horribly, just about every game I'm played has been a complete blast. I can't even imagine what the full conquest BF experience is like.

If this stuff gets fixed, I'll be playing this for a long time.

ohNOitsRO

Lol thanks dice... It took twice for my single player campaign 5+ HOURS IN TO FUCKING WIPE for me to stay away from this fucking game until they fix it

I don't even know what to say seriously except suck my dick EA, you've been forcing me to suck yours all these years

Oh and it couldn't even have been conquest, the fucking staple mode of battlefield to work? I don't want rush on your 16 square feet maps, I would just fucking run around in my room for that shit

a916

When asked about the bugs and stuff, and why it doesn't affect the review score of the game, Mitch Dyer of IGN had this to say:

Because the problems aren't significant enough to affect the bigger picture for me -- the game itself is still really great. It's just a pain that it's not working quite right at the moment. BF4 is an awesome game when it's working, which is some/most of the time, in my experience.

Crashing the game (which should have never passed Sony certification) and wide spread connection errors aren't significant?

Bare in mind, IGN has repeatedly gone on record to say they review games AS THEY ARE, out of the box, which is why large updates and such don't affect the review score. Which begs the question... how can they justify that high of a mark with such broken mechanics?

Deny deny deny

Yeah what the hell. I also saw a rep on dice forums that stated that conquest works fine it's quick match that's broken and that's so far from the truth. You could join from server browser your computer smartphone all or in game server browser and you will either fail to join or crash within a few seconds to minutes every single time

eroots

This game is fantastic when it's working.. Domination is great, always works for me. Definitely want to play conquest tho, it's always my preferred mode. Hopefully Dice gets to fixing it ASAP, it's unacceptable to release game partially working.. also, anyone using voice chat? Is there chat in this game, I haven't heard anyone yet.. Figured there would be all sorts of communication with everyone havings mics now.. Is there a setting I need to set to get voice to output to TV/hdmi?

blackflag

I just want to see some motherfuckers publically shamed over this shit. I hate this whole "don't worry, a patch will come eventually" mantra. This isn't because of patching an exploit or balancing weapons-the game that we all spent 60 bucks on and can do NOTHING with it. This should be on the front page of every tech site right now. Like someone said before, EA knows they can get away with it, so there's no detriment to them.

Yep this was my most anticipated title. Thankfully AC4, NFS, Resogun are amazing but still. This is ridiculous and EA doesn't even seem to care.

I'm scared to even boot it up at this point. It'll just sit until they fix it.

Top Bottom