• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4 multiplayer issues

Respect

So, the consensus seems to be that this a great game, when it works, but it's so broken its hard to really enjoy.

Got my unopened pre-order copy, but guess I should just hold off until these issues get resovled. Been enjoying KZ MP, but seems like the community isn't growing at all, ~2,000 are the most I see playing and I usually hop on around 9 est.

Mayyhem

I still cannot get my fucking mind wrapped around the design choice to literally make it impossible to join matches with friends.

It is a fucking multiplayer shooter, with a squad system in game, and 64 player matches. How in the fuck did they come to the conclusion that a broken ass "join in progress" type system that most often puts you on the opposite team of who you are joining was sufficient enough!?!? Are DICE really that fucking stupid? Do you know how fucking HARD it is to coordinate an online game with 3+ of your friends on the SAME TEAM!? Like I know they released this broken ass game and have been struggling to fix (complete) it, but god damn come on, bungie did this right in 2004 on the first fucking Xbox.

What pisses me off is "no plans to change", are you serious? I've never wanted to return a game so much in a my life, and one that I actually LIKE to play (when I actually can). Probably my most frustrating console game purchase, ever. Eat my balls EA, and Fuck you DICE. Last time I give these pricks money

/salt

see5harp

Surprisingly, last night even conquest was working well for me. I really don't understand how few people communicate on this game though. The damn headset is easier than ever to use. More often than not I hear people using the camera for a headset which is pretty much the worst thing ever.

I still cannot get my fucking mind wrapped around the design choice to literally make it impossible to join matches with friends.

It is a fucking multiplayer shooter, with a squad system in game, and 64 player matches. How in the fuck did they come to the conclusion that a broken ass "join in progress" type system that most often puts you on the opposite team of who you are joining was sufficient enough!?!? Are DICE really that fucking stupid? Do you know how fucking HARD it is to coordinate an online game with 3+ of your friends on the SAME TEAM!? Like I know they released this broken ass game and have been struggling to fix (complete) it, but god damn come on, bungie did this right in 2004 on the first fucking Xbox.

What pisses me off is "no plans to change", are you serious? I've never wanted to return a game so much in a my life, and one that I actually LIKE to play (when I actually can). Probably my most frustrating console game purchase, ever. Eat my balls EA, and Fuck you DICE. Last time I give these pricks money

/salt

You said it. No one there can actually believe this design choice they claim to have made on purpose was the right move. It's ridiculous.

for the first time I was able to play through an entire conquest match and on top of that no lag for me either, so hey maybe they did fix something

edit: lol crashed a second later

for the first time I was able to play through an entire conquest match and on top of that no lag for me either, so hey maybe they did fix something

It's probably just a coincidence but yeah I played for a couple hours with no issues last night; first time that's happened for me too, iirc.

Schmitty

Tried this a a friend's house and had no crashes over about 2 hours in conquest 64p. I guess it varies by person. They really need to add squads back in though

edit: lol crashed a second later

People should say which platform they're playing on. I'm on PS4, and since the initial patch (10 days ago?) I've had far fewer problems.

In the past week, I've had zero crashes to the UI. Those use to happen 3-4 times an hour.

My problems now are lag (on Conquest and TDM both), XP for the most recent match played disappearing, and sound dropping out.

LevityNYC

Banned

/salt

I thought it was just me. I couldn't figure out how to join a friends game or squad. What a joke.

/salt

Yea, that really is the salt in the wound (broken game).
I don't think they are stupid, I think they don't listen to their community, and I think they are arrogant - they know more than anyone else what is best for Battlefield.

I hope they realize how much they've damaged their franchise with BF4.

Swear to God, if they F-up Star Wars Battlefront's release like this - imma gonna Meltdown.

stix zadinia

Neo Member
Similar issues with ps3 too. After the patch that was released today it's unplayable. I mean I literally can't get into a match anymore. Neither can any of my friends. Dice and EA really fucked us on this one. 60$ for a completely unplayable game is a joke. I want a refund

todahawk

/salt

The best part is when GAF gets a squad together and is starting to have some fun when it starts crashing on us. We'll lose a guy and then he can't join in because the server filled his spot in 2 seconds or worse, it dumps him on the other team and it takes a round or two (if we're lucky) for him to be able to switch teams. Then another guy will crash... rinse and repeat.

The best part is when GAF gets a squad together and is starting to have some fun when it starts crashing on us. We'll lose a guy and then he can't join in because the server filled his spot in 2 seconds or worse, it dumps him on the other team and it takes a round or two (if we're lucky) for him to be able to switch teams. Then another guy will crash... rinse and repeat.

Happens all the time and is annoying as hell. Worse is if you lose 3-4 in the squad so it is one guy left. Then no one can get in so he has to quit out to go find a new server.

Love playing the game when it works, but these past couple days I haven't even bothered. So damn frustrating.

Get even more Gaf people and join an empty server. Eventually it will fill up.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

/salt

Wow great post. My sentiments too. I genuinely love battlefield. Played it for years. This release is infuriating as there is an amazing game here, ruined by stupid design decisions

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The only thing worse than the state of this game are the people who come into threads like this and say something to the effective of:

"Works for me. Stop whining".

I mean, seriously, what kind of an entitled sociopath do you have to be to have that kind of attitude?

That's some GameFAQs and YouTube quality discourse. I wish it were bannable.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The only thing worse than the state of this game are the people who come into threads like this and say something to the effective of:

I mean, seriously, what kind of an entitled sociopath do you have to be to have that kind of attitude?

Seconded.

jsip

Banned
What a surprise. I take my ps4 out of standby and the patch isn't downloaded until the ps4 is turned on.

Seriously don't know what the point of standby is on this console.
Assumption: Bandwidth conservation.

I'm quite sure the updates get pushed in batches as to not suck up insane amounts of bandwidth. Ive had patches applied when I'm gone and others applied after resuming from standby.

Also, there is no dedicated time for these daily updates.

turnbuckle

/salt

Oh I did not know this was a thing.

I'm not all that good at FPS and the only ones I've really played extensively are Modern Warfare 1&2 and the original Halo. My brother and some friends are pretty hardcore though and I planned on playing with them once the bugs get ironed out but if the online is how you describe I wonder if I should bother. Like I said, I'm terrible, so I'd like to at least be playing with a few friends on the same side while getting my feet wet.

Seconded.

Thirded.

/salt

Heard that!

Mayyhem

I'm not all that good at FPS and the only ones I've really played extensively are Modern Warfare 1&2 and the original Halo. My brother and some friends are pretty hardcore though and I planned on playing with them once the bugs get ironed out but if the online is how you describe I wonder if I should bother. Like I said, I'm terrible, so I'd like to at least be playing with a few friends on the same side while getting my feet wet.

Unfortunately DICE has "no plans" to accommodate to people like you, your brother, and his friends regarding something as simple as wanting to play together.

Coming from someone who's a huge battlefield fan: skip the purchase, or wait a year and see if they've gotten it through their arrogant skulls by then (hopefully fixing the game and implementing some better design choices).

Thirded.

Fourded :-D

StoopKid

/salt
Yea it makes zero sense.

/salt
Can't wrap my head around this either. Would love some answers. Are these games made by gamers or math wizards? Why the fuck would you not implement something to play with friends?
Pissed at the gaming media also. Fox News asks tougher questions to Republicans than the game media asks those who make the games.

todahawk

FIFTH (of some strong liquor)

ChuckNyce

I've been playing Obliteration (PS4) for the past few nights for at least 2-3 hours, haven't had any crashes or lag issues. I also just wrapped up a full conquest match after the patch and it went well, shared a clip and everything (thank God these have sound now).

I'd say my biggest problems right now are with design/rule changes -

1. Please take the 20 minute time limit off of Obliteration. Please. Prior to this being implemented, pretty much every match developed into an epic push/pull situation with last minute bomb defusals/plants. Now it seems like I rarely ever "finish" a round because we hit the 20 minute limit, usually just when the round is starting to get good. If the limit can't be removed entirely (I can understand playing Oblit on Operation Locker can be a time-consuming clusterfuck at times), at least extend it to 40 minutes or something.

2. No in game parties. It's been said countless times but can't be said enough honestly. WTF were they thinking? Of all the games to "intentionally" remove the party system, BF4 should not be one of them. And using the "we couldn't get it to work properly in BF3" is not a valid excuse.

Dartastic

Really wondering if my campaign save got corrupted from my one game of multiplayer that crashed from last night. Ugh. HOORAY THOUGH GUYS, WE'RE GETTING DOUBLE XP FOR A GAME WE CAN'T PLAY STILL. YAAAAAY.

I've been playing Obliteration (PS4) for the past few nights for at least 2-3 hours, haven't had any crashes or lag issues. I also just wrapped up a full conquest match after the patch and it went well, shared a clip and everything (thank God these have sound now).

I'd say my biggest problems right now are with design/rule changes -

1. Please take the 20 minute time limit off of Obliteration. Please. Prior to this being implemented, pretty much every match developed into an epic push/pull situation with last minute bomb defusals/plants. Now it seems like I rarely ever "finish" a round because we hit the 20 minute limit, usually just when the round is starting to get good. If the limit can't be removed entirely (I can understand playing Oblit on Operation Locker can be a time-consuming clusterfuck at times), at least extend it to 40 minutes or something.

2. No in game parties. It's been said countless times but can't be said enough honestly. WTF were they thinking? Of all the games to "intentionally" remove the party system, BF4 should not be one of them. And using the "we couldn't get it to work properly in BF3" is not a valid excuse.

Agreed with 1 and 2, but my biggest problems are still crash related.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What??? There are no squads?
Of course there are squads.
What is missing is the BF3 option of making a squad before joining a match.
Yes...

turnbuckle

Unfortunately DICE has "no plans" to accommodate to people like you, your brother, and his friends regarding something as simple as wanting to play together.

Coming from someone who's a huge battlefield fan: skip the purchase, or wait a year and see if they've gotten it through their arrogant skulls by then (hopefully fixing the game and implementing some better design choices).

I've never played a Battlefield game but aside from the glitches (granted, that's a major caveat lol) the impression I've gotten is that it's the best FPS for the PS4. I also gather that it's more "tactical" than something like Modern Warfare and has a steeper learning curve. I can get behind that, but I know it won't be like Modern Warfare where I was able to do the equivalent of button mashing in a fighter early on and hold my own.

It's too bad, but I might take your advice. I was gonna buy it today because my buddy (as part of his christmas "bonus") gets 25% off whatever he puts in his cart today. That'd put the price at around $37 at Wal-Mart and I already have a code for the first DLC...so it's tempting...but man....

Since this is by design I wonder if it'll ever change. What's the reasoning behind this? Is it to try preventing people from doing some kind of exploit? Forgive me, I truly am ignorant to the series and still mostly ignorant to FPS in general lol.

I played through nearly the whole night to about 8am this morning, and the first hour or so was smooth as butter. Then it devolved into the same laggy bullshit it always does. And that fucking EMP bullshit......fuck.

so has the shit like the EMP effect removal hasn't been updated?

Why do people want this removed so bad? I certainly wouldn't care if they removed it, but I don't see what's so terrible about it either. I mean I know it can be annoying, but I'm pretty sure that's idea in the first place. Are we saying the commander just shouldn't have EMP drones? It's not like they can do much else; would be removing like 30% of their arsenal lol.

Top Bottom