• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
greenjerk said:
but you score like 4K points a minute to make up for it, right??!???

my k/d at the beginning was horrid but i was having a shitload of fun (and ignoring objectives), I was too busy trying shit out.

went through an awful grind period and now I'm back at the point (not counting the last 4 days I've been cheating on BC2 with RDR) where I pick weapons and vehicles for winning and fun. My k/d has followed along nicely.

I hate stats but I love them.
I play on a laptop trackpad with a not so steady 30fps so I am always gonna struggle in a straight up shootout with true master racers. As a defender I am pretty good, throwing out motion mines, manning stationaries, taking out tanks and choppers, disarming MCOMs. As an attacker I suck unless I am on a good team where my suicidal MCOM runs are covered by good players.
Also whenever I play in smaller games (24 and below) I usually have a K/D above 1, but 32 player games are just much more fun.

I do have my 20 D2.0's though.

jayb

Marvie_3 said:
Mine would be better, but I get screwed by this game sometimes. I'll shoot a guy several times and he'll still turn around and one-shot me. :lol

is that on hardcore too?

kitch9

Banned
poppabk said:
I play on a laptop trackpad with a not so steady 30fps so I am always gonna struggle in a straight up shootout with true master racers. As a defender I am pretty good, throwing out motion mines, manning stationaries, taking out tanks and choppers, disarming MCOMs. As an attacker I suck unless I am on a good team where my suicidal MCOM runs are covered by good players.
Also whenever I play in smaller games (24 and below) I usually have a K/D above 1, but 32 player games are just much more fun.

I do have my 20 D2.0's though.

How the fuck do you do anything with a laptop trackpad???

My trusty old gaming mouse goes with me wherever I go........

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
k/d ratio in Battlefield is meaningless. As long as you are always fighting to attack or defend and doing so selflessly, you are golden. The points will come (and so will the kills) if you put the team before yourself.

greenjerk said:
I've only whipped smoke out on certain tough areas of Rush maps, never on conquest.... Like the last two m-coms while attacking on Arica Harbor. If the defenders are all snipered up and just camping in the main building I put up a wall of smoke so we can advance and then pop smoke in the building to cover the arming.

Used it some on the last m-coms on Nelson Bay as well.
yeah, i never use smoke on Conquest, but i use it on occasion on Rush if the defenders have a good perimeter setup and we can't get thru. i used it earlier today a few times, including on the 2nd set of crates on Atacama Desert. it really helped us get to A and take it out.

DenogginizerOS said:
k/d ratio in Battlefield is meaningless. As long as you are always fighting to attack or defend and doing so selflessly, you are golden. The points will come (and so will the kills) if you put the team before yourself.
yeah, i'll go 6 and 20 and as long as my team gets the win i'm happy. then again, the games when i go 40 and 8 even things out...

iam220

DenogginizerOS said:

K.D ratio is a meaningless stat in any game, IMO. Kills minus Deaths is what's important. This is very important in BC2 as well, especially if you're playing conquest or squad DM. Rush not so much.

Marvie_3

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
True, just makes me feel like I'm not contributing as much as I could when I'm spending half the match waiting to spawn. :lol

40MMSMK (Smoke Grenade) have made attacking on Isla Inocentes almost too easy. Very underrated spec. I admittedly haven't used it much before but I almost live by them.

Spl1nter

Not to mention the k/d is slightly off in this game since even if you are revived you are left with a death. You can finish with a 1 k/d but really have been 2 k/d or .5 k/d for tickets depending on reviving from either team.

I love playing on arica harbour conquest and going medic with pump shotty/slugs/magnum. Just so much fun head shotting people from anywhere for the one hit kill. Just destroyed everyone and came first by ~1000 score with 5300 score.

I really wish I could record with fraps but the framerate drop is to significant.

Marvie_3 said:
True, just makes me feel like I'm not contributing as much as I could when I'm spending half the match waiting to spawn. :lol

Try playing more of a support role till you really know all the maps. Be a medic and revive/heal everyone or be a engi and ride with someone in your squad and repair for them. You rack up the points easily doing these two things. Also play with some gaffers as they will help improve your play. Whenever you are on a good team the game is a lot easier then on a shit team as people are covering you and there are less threats and danger.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
kitch9 said:
How the fuck do you do anything with a laptop trackpad???

My trusty old gaming mouse goes with me wherever I go........
With a bit of practice it isn't too bad. BC2 has enough mouse smoothing that you rarely instantly look to the ground or the sky which is the main game breaker for a trackpad.

Marvie_3

Banned
Spl1nter said:
Try playing more of a support role till you really know all the maps. Be a medic and revive/heal everyone or be a engi and ride with someone in your squad and repair for them. You rack up the points easily doing these two things. Also play with some gaffers as they will help improve your play. Whenever you are on a good team the game is a lot easier then on a shit team as people are covering you and there are less threats and danger.
I already do all that. I've gotten myself up to Level 17 so I've put in a decent amount of time. I just meant that going strictly by my K/D ratio, it looks like I'm not doing much. :lol

Shai-Tan

Banned
poppabk said:
I play on a laptop trackpad with a not so steady 30fps so I am always gonna struggle in a straight up shootout with true master racers.

use the CG. I was playing on a bad computer, couldn't hit anything with guns... yet I had no issues killing people with the CG... lol

olimpia84

poppabk said:
I have an intimidating 0.44 K/D ratio.

I started with a ridiculously low K/D ratio mainly because this is my first person shooter since Perfect Dark in the N64 days and my first online FPS, not to mention that I have a very suicidal type of play where all I care about is getting the objectives but as you play the game and get to know the levels inside and out and know how all the weapons work you'll slowly get better at it.

I'm sitting at 0.99 I think right now, hopefully will hit 1.00 sometime soon :D
I usually finish above 1 when playing Conquest but finish below 1 when playing Rush because of my 'suicidal' type of play (especially on Rush defense where the team has unlimited tickets...I die A LOT) :D

todahawk

olimpia84 said:
I started with a ridiculously low K/D ratio mainly because this is my first person shooter since Perfect Dark in the N64 days and my first online FPS, not to mention that I have a very suicidal type of play where all I care about is getting the objectives but as you play the game and get to know the levels inside and out and know how all the weapons work you'll slowly get better at it.

I'm sitting at 0.99 I think right now, hopefully will hit 1.00 sometime soon :D
I usually finish above 1 when playing Conquest but finish below 1 when playing Rush because of my 'suicidal' type of play (especially on Rush defense where the team has unlimited tickets...I die A LOT) :D

Same here, I tend to die a lot on rush defense... i'm at .99 and about 25 kills away from 1.0.

I'll be playing tonight. My aiming as been way off since I stopped playing for a week. I need to get it back on track.

I think dying less is much more important when attacking. I don't want to contribute too much to the depleting ticket count on attack.

dralla said:
the chopper on a. desert rush should be able to fire rockets. there are so many AA guns that it's basically useless
They're easy to remove. You can mortar or snipe it from the base. Or tag it with a tracer or sneak a quad to it and fuck it up with C4/RPG. Or if the pilot/gunner team is good they can take it out before it takes them out. If you're good you can start pounding it right when you leave the heli pad.

olimpia84

Played a bit this afternoon and came to the conclusion that choppers should be BANNED. The new Port Valdez level in Conquest has been unplayable for me. Five to six guys ALWAYS waiting for the chopper to spawn at base, it's fucking ridiculous.

I still have to finish Port Valdez in Conquest since I quit every time this shit happens.

Marvie_3

Banned
olimpia84 said:
Played a bit this afternoon and came to the conclusion that choppers should be BANNED. The new Port Valdez level in Conquest has been unplayable for me. Five to six guys ALWAYS waiting for the chopper to spawn at base, it's fucking ridiculous.

I still have to finish Port Valdez in Conquest since I quit every time this shit happens.
Could be worse. It seems like every time I play, there's always 2-3 guys that just sit back at our base and try to shoot each other....with friendly fire off.

You guys probably discussed weapon ranges before, but man shotguns seem to have crazy long range. I put a few bullets in this one guy from quite a bit of range and he managed to kill me with a shotgun blast. Maybe I'm just not used to it since I don't really used them much.

eternaLightness said:
You guys probably discussed weapon ranges before, but man shotguns seem to have crazy long range. I put a few bullets in this one guy from quite a bit of range and he managed to kill me with a shotgun blast. Maybe I'm just not used to it since I don't really used them much.
You sure he wasn't using slugs? You can 1 hit ko from across the map with a slug if you get them in the head. 2 hits to the body. With a pump action with buckshot it seems to take 3-4 shots at medium range to kill someone at full health.

I kinda wish you could carry a few slugs for long range when using buckshot haha. Might be unbalanced though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Please DICE,

Give Consoles the option to turn the goddamn bloom off. It's starting to make me go blind and it hurts sniping.

I think everyone and their mom wants you to tone it down or give an off/on and slider option.

Kthxbi.

TheSeks said:
Please DICE,

Give Consoles the option to turn the goddamn bloom off. It's starting to make me go blind and it hurts sniping.

I think everyone and their mom wants you to tone it down or give an off/on and slider option.

Kthxbi.
TheSeks
(Today, 07:30 PM)
Reply | Quote

Yeah the bloom is ridiculous on White Pass and Atacama. I haven't turned it off because it looks so damn good on Nelson Bay, Laguna Presa, etc.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TheSeks said:
Please DICE,

Kthxbi.
Its not just the bloom, its the HDR + bloom.
Its ok to me... except in Nelson Bay i cant see anything at all.

Mr Sandman said:
Yeah the bloom is ridiculous on White Pass and Atacama. I haven't turned it off because it looks so damn good on Nelson Bay, Laguna Presa, etc.
They toned down White Pass blue hue now its white. like it more now. ;3

Wthermans

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Not if you're attacking or playing Conquest. If you die all the time, you're usually doing more harm to your team than good by losing tickets.

Mr Sandman said:
They're easy to remove. You can mortar or snipe it from the base. Or tag it with a tracer or sneak a quad to it and fuck it up with C4/RPG. Or if the pilot/gunner team is good they can take it out before it takes them out. If you're good you can start pounding it right when you leave the heli pad.
the last game i played on defense, they C4 UAV'd the AA gun at the start of the game!

:lol :lol :lol

i was like "whaaaaat?" ... they never used C$ UAV on the crates, but they used it on the AA!

TheSeks said:
Please DICE,

Kthxbi.
someone on Laguna Presa had the UAV directly in front of the sun and it was hard as hell to see, and he was shooting B... someone eventually shot him down, but thought that was hilarious if he did it on purpose.

TheSeks

Hahahahaha. WHERE IS YOUR SKILL YOU HELICOPTER STEALING ASSHOLES, HUH!? WHERE IS IT!?

(All of GAF speed cap panama canal, helicopter whores quit)

(Cue 30 min round as we slowly kill the five left)

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Good game, Cruz (joining before Olimpia sent an invite) NoStyle, Olimpia (joining us in Conquest), 8-Bit George and NeoParadigem. I don't feel bad for the other team as they raped me 5-10 times with the helicopters in Atacama. Fuck them. Fuck them hard. :|

blahness

oh man had my best moment as a sniper. I was sitting at flag B on Panama Canal and lined up a headshot on a medic on the second floor of flag C. Some other guy ran right behind him as I shot and got a double headshot kill. Also had fun sniping anti tank mines as people were laying them down. :lol :lol

dralla said:
there are no helicopters on panama canal
i believe what Seks means is on the previous map, the other team was helicopter whoring, but when they hit Panama Canal, which has no helicopters, they got beat down.

blahness said:
oh man had my best moment as a sniper. I was sitting at flag B on Panama Canal and lined up a headshot on a medic on the second floor of flag C. Some other guy ran right behind him as I shot and got a double headshot kill. Also had fun sniping anti tank mines as people were laying them down. :lol :lol
if only you had it on video!

but in all seriousness, i love when i line up a shot and get a double or triple kill, it warms my heart. one of these days i would love to get a multi kill with 1 bullet.

i got a double kill with a handgun before!

web01

The biggest fuckup with this game (apart from the lack of maps) is not having a built in system to deliver map variations with swapped out vehicles / tanks / helis / m com locations, or even having the maps play in reverse.

Would be really interesting to play some maps with no tanks / helis and swapping out eveything for jeeps and quad bikes.

web01 said:
The biggest fuckup with this game (apart from the lack of maps) is not having a built in system to deliver map variations with swapped out vehicles / tanks / helis / m com locations, or even having the maps play in reverse.

Would be really interesting to play some maps with no tanks / helis and swapping out eveything for jeeps and quad bikes.
That would be badass, except everyone and their dogs has a CG waiting for the hummer. God I hate that weapon.

Fersis said:
Its not just the bloom, its the HDR + bloom.
Its ok to me... except in Nelson Bay i cant see anything at all.

They toned down White Pass blue hue now its white. like it more now. ;3
I know but wasn't that done only on the Squad DM version?

TheSeks

The Faceless Master said:
i believe what Seks means is on the previous map, the other team was helicopter whoring, but when they hit Panama Canal, which has no helicopters, they got beat down.

This. Atacama was basically "Oh, they stole our helicopter!"

(Die 15 times trying to take their repairing asses down)

Panama Canal on rotation.

(Speed cap)

Enemy team: OFUCK--rage quit.

No Style/Olimpia and I went into Rush. Ugh. High level teams but we won some and lost some. Arica Rush Defense I steal the tank that spawned on second set defense (no one took it, *shrug*) head down, turn it's ass around so it I can't be hit. And NoStyle and I hold the line for about... 30-50 tickets until around 12 tickets left where they finally killed the tank I kept hopping out to repair (NoStyle didn't spawn as an engineer or thought his gunning was better use. *shrug*) while they tried to take potshots at it.

Man, fuck that team. Bunch of level 40's killing me from all over. I have no sympathy for tank whoring on them.

Fersis said:
>>HDR+Bloom<<

Whatever, there needs to be sliders for that shit. By default you have a hell of a time sniping (IF YOU CAN EVEN FUCKING SEE) in Atacama/Nelson Bay (but that's because it's hella dark)/Laguna Alta/others.

It's really stupid that the PC players can edit a config file and suddenly see clearly now that the bloom has gone... they can snipe all enemies in their waaaaay... While we have to deal with it. WTF, DICE?

web01 said:

the first thing i thought of when playing in reverse was Port Valdez... going down that road from the middle sometimes is bas enough... going up that road to the middle, oh my car!

it would be HILARIOUS!!!

DICE, DO IT,, DOOOOOO ITTT!!!!

olimpia84

TheSeks said:
Hahahahaha. WHERE IS YOUR SKILL YOU HELICOPTER STEALING ASSHOLES, HUH!? WHERE IS IT!?

(All of GAF speed cap panama canal, helicopter whores quit)

(Cue 30 min round as we slowly kill the five left)

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Good game, Cruz (joining before Olimpia sent an invite) NoStyle, Olimpia (joining us in Conquest), 8-Bit George and NeoParadigem. I don't feel bad for the other team as they raped me 5-10 times with the helicopters in Atacama. Fuck them. Fuck them hard. :|

Yeah, it was funny to see them ragequit. We absolutely raped them in Panama Canal although I must say in our first game (or maybe the second?) in Atacama they also got raped in their own base (true they had both helicopters but that didn't stop us from capping all their flags and holding them at base).

Good games on Rush as well, too bad we lost that Arica game on offense near the end.

No_Style

Yeah. I wanted to spawn as engineer on Arica Rush, but didn't get the chance. Then we got bombarded so, I tried to kill as many of those engineers as possible.

The Conquest games were fun. Rush? Not so much.

Played the newly unlocked maps and here are some initial thoughts:

Port Valdez Conquest feels like the inverse of Atacama. There are so many vehicles on this map with many chokepoints. I enjoyed the chaos. Helicopter pilots don't seem to have free reign in the air like they do on Atacama though.

Atacama Rush is interesting in concept, but damn is it ever difficult to attack. I think the map would have been a lot more interesting with more armor for the attackers. The helicopter is essentially useless with that insane AA gun (which should make an appearance in the Conquest version).

the first thing i thought of when playing in reverse was Port Valdez... going down that road from the middle sometimes is bas enough... going up that road to the middle, oh my car!

it would be HILARIOUS!!!

DICE, DO IT,, DOOOOOO ITTT!!!!
Or Valparaiso with a Hind instead of a Blackhawk pushing the Americans down that damn hill. Reverse maps would be awesome shit!

No_Style said:
Yeah. I wanted to spawn as engineer on Arica Rush, but didn't get the chance. Then we got bombarded so, I tried to kill as many of those engineers as possible.

The Conquest games were fun. Rush? Not so much.

Played the newly unlocked maps and here are some initial thoughts:

Port Valdez Conquest feels like the inverse of Atacama. There are so many vehicles on this map with many chokepoints. I enjoyed the chaos. Helicopter pilots don't seem to have free reign in the air like they do on Atacama though.

Atacama Rush is interesting in concept, but damn is it ever difficult to attack. I think the map would have been a lot more interesting with more armor for the attackers. The helicopter is essentially useless with that insane AA gun (which should make an appearance in the Conquest version).

A tank or two would ease up the stress when attacking when your team has a mediocre airforce. It's an awesome map but you live or die by the effectiveness of your Hind crew. I love the map though, even if it is hard.

People hate the chokepoints on Port Valdez, but I admit I like them. Makes for some interesting fights.

TheSeks

No_Style said:

Nah, the issue is the AA (compared to most AA in the game so far) is DEEPLY hidden (at least second set) in the map, the second set in particular is around the boat. So you/attackers can't attack it (smartly placed by DICE, but it is a bitch to take down as attackers).

The open M-COMs is where your team meets the road. The issue is that public people can't seem to sit still/hold a place together, and that's what helps get most of the M-COMs on that map. I can't tell you how many times I've entered second set B to see two enemies waiting for me. :|

Anyway, I told Olimpia that they took our tank that one round and that SOMEONE should be getting in the helicopter so they couldn't take it again. MAGICALLY (not sure if it's ESP or *lightbulb.jpg*) the rest of the team start to take the helicopter and they can't take it again. So the issue was getting AA fire on them/tracering them. I hate using the tracer dart on a helicopter. Even with the speed buff it takes me forever to land a shot on them. :|

Mr Sandman said:
Or Valparaiso with a Hind instead of a Blackhawk pushing the Americans down that damn hill. Reverse maps would be awesome shit!
DICE guys reading this thread... DDDDOOOOOOO IIIIITTTTTTTTT!!!!!

A tank or two would ease up the stress when attacking when your team has a mediocre airforce. It's an awesome map but you live or die by the effectiveness of your Hind crew. I love the map though, even if it is hard.

People hate the chokepoints on Port Valdez, but I admit I like them. Makes for some interesting fights.
i seriously have not had any real problems attacking outside of the 2nd set of crates, i mean there were some close calls on the 3rd, and one close call on the 4th, but the 1st has never been too much trouble and i wish i could see the problems the rest of you are having... that 3rd set on Port Valdez can really be a bitch sometimes and the 4th can be tough, but usually doable, especially if you get A first.

TheSeks said:
Nah, the issue is the AA (compared to most AA in the game so far) is DEEPLY hidden (at least second set) in the map, the second set in particular is around the boat. So you/attackers can't attack it (smartly placed by DICE, but it is a bitch to take down as attackers).

The open M-COMs is where your team meets the road. The issue is that public people can't seem to sit still/hold a place together, and that's what helps get most of the M-COMs on that map. I can't tell you how many times I've entered second set B to see two enemies waiting for me. :|

Anyway, I told Olimpia that they took our tank that one round and that SOMEONE should be getting in the helicopter so they couldn't take it again. MAGICALLY (not sure if it's ESP or *lightbulb.jpg*) the rest of the team start to take the helicopter and they can't take it again. So the issue was getting AA fire on them/tracering them. I hate using the tracer dart on a helicopter. Even with the speed buff it takes me forever to land a shot on them. :|
i used that AA on defense one game and got like a dozen kills, it's not even inbounds for the attackers, it's in an out of bounds area! i was just sitting there, racking up the kills on the Hind and people who dared come around the corner of the hull or run down the middle.

and yeah, there's nothing like finally getting to the 2nd A or B and then *BLAM* getting shot in the face!

Binabik15

but in all seriousness, i love when i line up a shot and get a double or triple kill, it warms my heart. one of these days i would love to get a multi kill with 1 bullet.

i got a double kill with a handgun before!

My brother had a tripple kill with the 1911. He was just shooting into smoke covering a m-com on Valparaiso. Cleared out all defusing defenders with one mag. It was crazy. Sheer luck, of course.

Atacama Rush is a god damned meat grinder on the second set, I was in five games or so on it so far and only ONE was getting past the second set. I don´t even know how they did it, I was spawned after they destroyed it.

PS: I hate attack choppers. Make them more vulnerable to regular MG fire and the AA gun or something and tone down the gatling as a trade off.

PPS: Reverse Rush maps would be sooo good that I´d buy the game again :lol

olimpia84

I have yet to be in/see a team win Atacama Rush. The furthest I played in that map is the third set and that was last night with gaffers (as defenders). I thought the other team was going to steam roll us because they got the first two sets rather easily but we did an amazing job on the third set, so much that they were not able to blow up any of the MCOMS.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I tried to play a little bith of Onslaught Hardcore yesterday:
- I respawn... my team mate kills me.
- Ok , i respawn again.. he kills me again.
- I left Onslaught and i play some Rush... my squad spent the entire match shooting each other. (I think they were shooting and trowing ammo packs... like boosting or somethin' like that)
- I try another Rush game... on of my team mates keeps calling me "The 3 letter F word".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom