• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam |OT|

Damn, I'm loving this game. Needs more choppers tho!

Also ggs earlier InfectedZero, tomorrow I shall show you the art of the c4 TNT-jeep.

Dries

So.. I expect that I will be getting MSP from my girlfriend tomorrow. MSP which I will be needing for BC:V However, I'll be at my girlfriends place tomorrow. So can I bring my HDD and install the DLC on her Xbox (with my gamertag). Will it still work on my Xbox at home?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Slightly random question. I need about 5 more destruction 2.0 kills for my platinum trophy, will I be able to get the remaining kills whilst playing Vietnam or do I have to play the normal multiplayer?

hylje

Bojanglez said:
Slightly random question. I need about 5 more destruction 2.0 kills for my platinum trophy, will I be able to get the remaining kills whilst playing Vietnam or do I have to play the normal multiplayer?

Go with normal. Buildings in Vietnam don't give destruction kills afaik. Bamboo shacks :p

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Awesome games last night.
A full GAF team its an unstoppable force.

Mikael Kalms explains the 'stats issue'

Here is a quick recap of what has happened during Dec 18th-22nd:

During Saturday, the stats database was getting overloaded for PC. This was both due to increased player counts and 3rd party stats websites pulling out stats.
This manifested itself in several ways:

Sometimes the game would spend a really long time at the "updating stats" stage.
Sometimes when people logged in, the game claimed that they were at rank 1.
Sometimes the game would claim that they hadn't achieved anything (no pins/insignias etc).
One thing which is important to note here is that the stats for players have not been modified in any way - it is merely the game client that fails at retrieving them from the database.

We have blocked the main 3rd party stats websites, and are having a dialogue with their developers. Also, we have done modifications to the master server code to reduce the load that game clients cause on the stats DB. These changes were deployed during two master server restarts during Tuesday.

A bit later some networking issues caused something which we refer to as "ghost games" appearing in the server browser. What happened here was that 5-8% of all game servers fell offline, yet parts of the backend was under the impression that the servers were still connected. When the servers tried to reconnect, the backend would deny with the reason "there is already an identical server connected".

The swiftest way of resolving that is also the crudest - restarting the backend. We did so during Wednesday (a bit before lunchtime GMT).

At the time of writing, the backend is doing reasonably well and we are about to surpass 40k players online in less than an hour.

EDIT:
During evening Dec 22nd there are still reports about problems. These are likely due to packet loss that was occurring between two backbone locations in the US (one destination being near the master servers). The ranking DB itself held up fairly well during the night.

Coldsnap

It brings a tear of joy to my eye when a squad mate picks up my medic pack and brings me back to life. I had some amazing matches last night, joined a GAFers game on Xbox 360 but it put me on the opposite side. I think I ended up placing first in six matches in a row.

Kyouji said:
Had a helluva time tonight with the PC GAFBC2 crowd. It was amazing playing with a group that coordinated and communicated (not to mention shootin' the shit). We went and busted balls for the most part, except when history had to take precedence... :lol

Looking forward to playing with Anton Sugar, AcridMeat, and the rest of the GAF Company Bros in the future.
Yeah, good times! I'm not gonna be playing until next week but be sure to shoot me an im.

Really liking the M14. With magnum ammo, it feels unfair.

hylje said:
Go with normal. Buildings in Vietnam don't give destruction kills afaik. Bamboo shacks :p
Funny enough I did get a D2.0 kill the day 'Nam launched. I aimed at the chopper when they went back to repair. I thought I nailed it, but I guess it missed and hit a tower with a wookie in it collapsing it on him. :lol D2.0 kills just come to me man.

Coldsnap said:
What does the 2.0 mean in D2.0?
I'm assuming the Destruction in BC1 was D1.0 or similar, which buildings could not be collapsed. I'm guessing D3.0 will be more realistic--like half of the building can collapse if one side is weakened, if it's ever made.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mr Sandman said:
Funny enough I did get a D2.0 kill the day 'Nam launched. I aimed at the chopper when they went back to repair. I thought I nailed it, but I guess it missed and hit a tower with a wookie in it collapsing it on him. :lol D2.0 kills just come to me man.

Yes. You can <D 2.0> the guard towers, you always could do it on Arica Harbor in vanilla and White Pass as well. But, you can't do that to the bamboo buildings in Vietnam. So those are the only way in Vietnam.

Bojanglez said:

You can boost this on Nelson Bay Conquest because of a bug. Have a friend on the other team then you destroy B. Once it's destroyed, have him go down the side of the cliff on the back side. There is a gap you have to jump over. If he falls down that gap it's counted as a Destruction 2.0 kill for the person who originally destroyed B instead of a suicide.

REV 09

OldJadedGamer said:
You can boost this on Nelson Bay Conquest because of a bug. Have a friend on the other team then you destroy B. Once it's destroyed, have him go down the side of the cliff on the back side. There is a gap you have to jump over. If he falls down that gap it's counted as a Destruction 2.0 kill for the person who originally destroyed B instead of a suicide.
couldn't he just stay in the building?

Also, i'm liking vietnam more now than i was originally. The only "bad" map is Vantage Point, which is honestly one of the worst in the game for either mode. Phu Bai and Cae Son Temple are great, and i like the scorched section of Hill 137. The unlockable map looks to have full vehicle implementation (hueys, tanks, boats, trucks)...so i'm hoping that it'll be similar to Phu Bai in quality.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The Faceless Master said:
one thing i don't like is how most of those huts have an invincible frame that stops my tanks :(
Yeah this is really annoying. I spent a couple of minutes last night trying to get my tank past a hut and some of those immovable, indestructible metal things. I ended up borking the physics a little bit and the tank just kinda floated over the metal things.
I've noticed that there really isn't a good counter to the medic rush now. Used to be that if I saw a big squad of medics all reviving each other I would switch to the CG.

Coldsnap

Do you guys use different control schemes for tanks and helicopters? I have been playing Bad Co for about 4 months and gotten really good at infantry and I want to start sharpening my vehicle chops for Battlefield 3. Are there any good guides that give tips and hints for using vehicles? I've tried to practice in conquest but I'd like to know tips and stuff.

Pennybags

The initial Rush set on Vantage Point is an insane clusterfuck.

Sometimes I love it.

REV 09 said:
The unlockable map looks to have fun vehicle implementation (hueys, tanks, boats, trucks)...so i'm hoping that it'll be similar to Phu Bai in quality.

I've never played Battlefield Vietnam, but am I correct in assuming that OH is a remake of the original, only scaled-down similarly to BF1943's Wake Island, and not a "re-imagining"? There are a handful of videos with footage of the new Operation Hastings, but I wouldn't be able to make comparisons even if my life depended on it.

REV 09 said:
couldn't he just stay in the building?

That only counts as one though. Each time your buddy falls off the cliff, it counts it each time. So you could probably get all 20 in one single round if he was fast enough and the round lasted long enough.

abuC

recklessmind said:
I rode with you a couple times as an engineer... but I couldn't repair the chopper while flying. How do you do it? I tried everything. :/

You were repairing in flight, our health was dropping down to 60, then would go back up to 100. Sometimes it won't repair right away, I mostly point the repair tool at the top of the door frames, seems to have the best results.

-Yeti said:
Dude, you are an amazing pilot. That or I'm just really really bad. Whenever I attempt to fly, I always lose control and nose dive into the ground. Then again, the controls are really hard to get used to. By the way, what control scheme do you use for flying?

Thanks, I use default now, I used to use BC1 controls though which are a good way to start out. I think the Huey handles more like the BC1 helicopters, so I might give those controls a try, which if it works will lead to some serious swervin BC1 style :D You all think circle straffing is annoying, swerving made the choppers in BC1 unstoppable with the right pilots.

abuC

Pennybags said:
The initial Rush set on Vantage Point is an insane clusterfuck.

Sometimes I love it.

I think the entire team should pick lightweight and be medics at the start, just annoy the hell out of the defense. An endless rush of Zombie medics would do the job.

1-D_FTW

Anyone else having trouble with friend invites being borked? I've sent out invites that the other person had deleted when they selected and vice verse. You see you have an invite, select it, and it throws it away instead of adding. It's happened with multiple people, too.

The secret to getting past the first set of MCOMs on Vantage Point is to basically swarm the defenders in the first minute. If I'm lucky, I run to B armed with a flamethrower, and instead of arming, I hook around to the road with the tank and catch the opposing team from the back. This usually creates a breakout opportunity for the noobs coming up the road. Either that, or run up to their spawn and catch them by surprise, and then run to the road, bit that's riskier.

Nabs

1-D_FTW said:
Anyone else having trouble with friend invites being borked? I've sent out invites that the other person had deleted when they selected and vice verse. You see you have an invite, select it, and it throws it away instead of adding. It's happened with multiple people, too.
i know that happens when someone has more than 20 people on their list. i don't understand why they have a limit like that.

TheSeks said:
Yes. You can <D 2.0> the guard towers, you always could do it on Arica Harbor in vanilla and White Pass as well. But, you can't do that to the bamboo buildings in Vietnam. So those are the only way in Vietnam.
I know this. I do this all the time to snipers/useless wookie teammates.

abuC

In conquest mode, Hill 137, you can run around the left side of the hill near the American spawn point, climb the hill and kill the snipers that always hang out up there. I've gotten several dogtags up there already :D

todahawk

Crakatak187 said:
Like my sniping GAF that was opposing us? Revenge for kicking our ass on the previous match.

Gawd, you bastard Crak, you got me like 3x in a row.

@Reckless: dude, your chopper piloting is much improved, I can tell you've been practicing. That or apache assault skills translate to BC2/BCV choppers.

That 4 gaffers + randoms vs full gaf crew match was awesome. Can't believe we pulled that off.

Where's Seks? I figured he be in here gloating over his knife kill and kill cam tea bagging on me. I was swearing up a storm. :lol

Dries

Dries said:
So.. I expect that I will be getting MSP from my girlfriend tomorrow. MSP which I will be needing for BC:V However, I'll be at my girlfriends place tomorrow. So can I bring my HDD and install the DLC on her Xbox (with my gamertag). Will it still work on my Xbox at home?

anyone?

olimpia84

Good Conquest games last night with the PS3 crew. I didn't play for too long because I had to go out but I didn't like the conquest maps that much which worries me a bit since it's my favorite game mode. Then again, I hated many of the map pack conquest maps for the vanilla game and I ended up liking them so we'll see what happens.

1stStrike

Banned
olimpia84 said:
Good Conquest games last night with the PS3 crew. I didn't play for too long because I had to go out but I didn't like the conquest maps that much which worries me a bit since it's my favorite game mode. Then again, I hated many of the map pack conquest maps for the vanilla game and I ended up liking them so we'll see what happens.

I have yet to try out conquest - I should be on today, let me know when you're on and we'll do some conquest.

olimpia84

1stStrike said:
I have yet to try out conquest - I should be on today, let me know when you're on and we'll do some conquest.

I'll probably play a bit after work but I'll definitely be playing later at night starting around 11PM EST (no work tomorrow!) :D

1stStrike

Banned
olimpia84 said:
I'll probably play a bit after work but I'll definitely be playing later at night starting around 11PM EST (no work tomorrow!) :D

Sounds good. I'm off today and tomorrow, so once I'm done shopping and listening to music (I just got new headphones yesterday) I should be on :p

sw33tclyde said:
Damn, I'm loving this game. Needs more choppers tho!

Also ggs earlier InfectedZero, tomorrow I shall show you the art of the c4 TNT-jeep.
Can haz moar Choppas? For reals though we need more.

If we only had little tuk tuks to to throw TNT on since it would be faster like the ATV haha. But yeah awesome games man!

Animator said:
The huey is apparently made out of cardboard in this game. Wtf dice :\

I like it cause I can take one down now from the gunner spot on a tank and it pretty much ends the Helli whoring but I hate it cause I need my Huey kills for my achievement!!!

sw33tclyde said:
Wanna hop on Zero(or anyone else 360 for that matter)?
Wish I could but I have to go do some last minute Xmas shopping. Then I work tomorrow at 7am :( so you probably wont see me backing your ass up till tomorrow night. Blow up some people with a jimmy rigged jeep for me. :D

InfectedZero said:
Wish I could but I have to go do some last minute Xmas shopping. Then I work tomorrow at 7am :( so you probably wont see me backing your ass up till tomorrow night. Blow up some people with a jimmy rigged jeep for me. :D

Ah good man. I should be buying presents but I'm broke until payday(monday) so I'm gonna sit my lazy ass on the couch and enjoy my day off. :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
pirateben said:
Hello boys... this is my current schedule:

1. Finish work in 2 hours.
2. Grab some food on way home.
3. Turn on PS3 and purchase/download Vietnam.
4. Eat with wife.
5. Fuck my wife.
6. Shower.
7. Install complete - Play Vietnam.

See you all online later. You on tonight Reckless?

Yeah... I'll be on intermittently throughout the day. See you later.

aristotle

pirateben said:
Hello boys... this is my current schedule:

1. Finish work in 2 hours.
2. Grab some food on way home.
3. Turn on PS3 and purchase/download Vietnam.
4. Eat with wife.
5. Fuck my wife.
6. Shower.
7. Install complete - Play Vietnam.

See you all online later. You on tonight Reckless?

Uh....

No one tell his wife it's only a 100 kb unlock file. Merry Christmas for her indeed! :D

I hoped on a for a bit to play one map. I need to play more often with GAF. It's been months. I hope my enjoyment of the game isn't waning.

TheSeks

greenjerk said:
Where's Seks? I figured he be in here gloating over his knife kill and kill cam tea bagging on me. I was swearing up a storm. :lol

Me said:

And I knifed Toda tonight. PSN message: "Dick!" :lol

Today at 02:18 AM.

Also I only went for the knife because you were close and moved past me after I shot you once or twice. The teabag was just gloating about knifing you after you guys tried to sneak to A while everyone else (SMH) went to B.

Coldsnap

OldJadedGamer said:
I like it cause I can take one down now from the gunner spot on a tank and it pretty much ends the Helli whoring but I hate it cause I need my Huey kills for my achievement!!!

What achievement is tied to the helli?

1stStrike said:
My goal today is to kill someone with the welder.

I want to stab someone with the new defibrillator. Anyone do that?

TheSeks

Coldsnap said:
What achievement is tied to the helli?

Ride of the...

Kill 50 enemies in the helicopter.

Which is easy, provided you have a good pilot and hey don't take you down quickly.

Top Bottom