• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
abuC said:
They should bump up ticket count to 100 for rush.

I think it's obvious that they aren't addressing gameplay balance issues anymore. They haven't for a long time. It's like "We'll just keep throwing maps at them so they'll stfu"

I wish there were more cover or the houses were bullet proof (yeah I know they're made of cardboard). You get spotted and bullets go through bushes, plants, 5 houses and nail you. That and the high damage and low recoil means you're dead fast.

That would make Attacking less of a pain. :\

Massa

1stStrike said:
I think it's obvious that they aren't addressing gameplay balance issues anymore. They haven't for a long time. It's like "We'll just keep throwing maps at them so they'll stfu"

The patch that made Rush playable again wasn't that long ago. :-/

TheSeks said:
I still can't get "would you kindly STFU?" :mad:

Play Cao Son Temple on Conquest and go to point C. There is a big speaker on top of the temple right in the front. It kind of sticks out when looking at it.

todahawk

TheSeks said:
Also I only went for the knife because you were close and moved past me after I shot you once or twice. The teabag was just gloating about knifing you after you guys tried to sneak to A while everyone else (SMH) went to B.

Gotcha (i suck at skimming threads), I thought it was payback for the headshot I gave you a little earlier, I came over the rise on the far right side and saw you standing perfectly still with the M40, looking towards B I think. :D

Heh heh, as brutal as it was, we didn't want to give up against the full GAF crew. The first match I couldn't even remember if I was attacking or defending I was so intent on torching some fellow gaffers with the FT.

Mr Sandman said:
I wish there were more cover or the houses were bullet proof (yeah I know they're made of cardboard). You get spotted and bullets go through bushes, plants, 5 houses and nail you. That and the high damage and low recoil means you're dead fast.

That would make Attacking less of a pain. :\

Spotting should've been removed, period. On one hand they want to encourage more close to mid range infantry fighting, but highly accurate weapons and spotting makes it incredibly easy to snipe through walls from across a map with any weapon.

Huggers

TheSeks, instead of posing about your teabagging of some innocent Gaffer, get in the reasonably priced car and beat my horrendously shit time round the top gear test track

todahawk

Huggers said:
TheSeks, instead of posing about your teabagging of some innocent Gaffer, get in the reasonably priced car and beat my horrendously shit time round the top gear test track

FWIW- I don't think my fellow gaffers would ever describe me as innocent. :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huggers said:

I still have a week, I'll attempt it this weekend.

Also Ilimatic or however it's spell. I'm just pissed at you for missing the "ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED" I lined the boat up for boat-to-boat destroying purposes and I'm sitting there like "THERE'S A BOAT! FIRE!"

*get out, spot it*

"He's still not firing. WTF!"

But you redeemed yourself on C in Vantage Point conquest. I ran out of rockets hitting cover trying to take the tank they stole out, and you and the rest of the squad spawned and backed me up and we took it back. Major props.

Confidence Man said:
Spotting should've been removed, period. On one hand they want to encourage more close to mid range infantry fighting, but highly accurate weapons and spotting makes it incredibly easy to snipe through walls from across a map with any weapon.

This is a big reason I play hardcore. While spotting is neat... it takes away from the game IMO to have it up constantly. Feels like cheating. Killcam too.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Hey PS3 GAF, does anyone else get disconnected from matches on a regular basis? I feel like I've got a great internet connection, and I don't have issues in any other game. I'm lucky if I can play a full match without getting booted out to the main menu

Coldsnap

When are they going to fix the gold star gun glitching? I got a gold star on the M14 and it isn't showing up anymore under weapons.

TheSeks

OldJadedGamer said:
Play Cao Son Temple on Conquest and go to point C. There is a big speaker on top of the temple right in the front. It kind of sticks out when looking at it.

I don't see it. You sure it's C? Because I know of one at A, and it doesn't pop it. :/

I bought BFBC2 when it came out and stopped playing awhile back. unfortunately, I didn't buy it on steam. Is there a way I can buy the steam or a downloadable version of Vietnam so I can play it even though the original game isn't on my steam list?

TheSeks said:
I don't see it. You sure it's C? Because I know of one at A, and it doesn't pop it. :/

Yup, sure it's C. I was the American forces and kept hearing her say "Your country has abandoned you" and was getting sick of hearing it so I looked up and saw the speaker... remembered the achievement then shot it and it unlocked.

Sanjay

Confidence Man said:

Pubs don't even spot, they rather get the kills for them selves now its so easy to get kills, in BC2 people had to spot, not no more.

OldJadedGamer said:
This is a big reason I play hardcore. While spotting is neat... it takes away from the game IMO to have it up constantly. Feels like cheating. Killcam too.

Yeah, not many hardcore 24/7 Phu Bai conquest servers though.

Sanjay said:
Pubs don't even spot, they rather get the kills for them selves now its so easy to get kills, in BC2 people had to spot, not no more.
In the few games I played last night, spotting only worked once. I know there's a cooldown, but it just wasn't taking most of the time, leaving me exposed to fire and killing me needlessly, so I stopped using it. Maybe they changed things so you have to have your reticle dead on, where in standard BC2 being pretty close still got you the spot.

Confidence Man said:
Yeah, not many hardcore 24/7 Phu Bai conquest servers though.

I play hardcore all the time and have been hitting up Phu Bai a lot lately cause I'm trying to get my Tank kills achievements and I'm always finding games with no problems. I'm on 360 though and live on the West Coast so that may have something to do with it.

1stStrike

Banned
Apparently, Evolved1 and Dreamgazer are bad luck for me (or maybe they just hog all the kills). Once they left it was down to just me and 2 other gaffers, and then just me and 1 other after abuc left (nice spot you picked with the tank btw).

I went 15 - 2, 14 - 5 and 18 - 6 in the 3 games after that. I decided to go assault and pick the M16 and just raped with it. Also, grabbed the boat and did some damage on hill in that last game. People ignore the boat for some reason - I always went for it and would drive out to the middle of the lake and just unload on them :lol

Finally felt like the "old days" in those 3 matches.

I'm wrapping presents, doing some laundry and stuff, but I'll be on later.

@Greenjerk: You better get online tonight!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Something about the hill... once we get to the fiery, smoldering section of the map something just goes off in my brain and I cannot be stopped. Just the most ridiculous owning. Every time.

It's like that part of the map was made just for me... I don't know... something about it feels like old ghost recon + socom. I just really click in there for some reason.

Today I held A down by myself against their attack for like 4 or 5 mins. I went 31 and 4, all infantry kills. :lol

Pennybags

NullPointer said:
In the few games I played last night, spotting only worked once. I know there's a cooldown, but it just wasn't taking most of the time, leaving me exposed to fire and killing me needlessly, so I stopped using it. Maybe they changed things so you have to have your reticle dead on, where in standard BC2 being pretty close still got you the spot.

That, and the fact that the spotting dots are nearly impossible to see on certain-sized SDTVs compared to vanilla BC2's very bright indicators. I'll attempt to spot someone, then struggle to see if it actually worked.

The normal team indicators are quite dim as well. On Vantage Point, I've pretty much given up on trying to find out where my non-squad teammates are. :lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm spotting just as much now as I ever did in vanilla... in fact I get pretty annoyed with the flamethrower because it doesn't let you spot.

So I switch to repair tool, because that lets you. :lol

Also, just want to give a quick shout out to my new favorite engineer build: flamethrower + RPG + EXP^ + EXPD^

So good... especially on vehicle heavy maps. Only having a pistol for midrange kind of sucks, but I just us the RPG if that happens. :lol

recklessmind said:
I'm spotting just as much now as I ever did in vanilla...
I dunno. Running as an assault I can almost always drop somebody before I can get the finicky spotting to work. Its when I take even a moment to try and get the spot for my team that I end up getting dropped or watch them run past some cover while I curse at whoever tuned the spotting system.

NHale

Is DICE capable of launching a product without major issues at launch? And how about trying to solve the problems instead of waiting for people to stop play so the servers can handle the load?

This stats issue is killing my enjoyment of the game, not only my XP goes to waste but I can't choose any specs because the game thinks I'm a rank 1...

1stStrike

Banned
NHale said:
Is DICE capable of launching a product without major issues at launch? And how about trying to solve the problems instead of waiting for people to stop play so the servers can handle the load?

This stats issue is killing my enjoyment of the game, not only my XP goes to waste but I can't choose any specs because the game thinks I'm a rank 1...

Yeah, it's pretty annoying. It's like they don't test this shit at all. They just throw it out there and then a week later go "Oh, our bad."

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Spotting is still a pain in the ass, see someone hit Q and nothing happens, I spotted someone for a tank and they just left him while he blew them up. The maps are horrible, I know I'm repeating myself but they are just bad.

1stStrike said:
Apparently, Evolved1 and Dreamgazer are bad luck for me (or maybe they just hog all the kills). Once they left it was down to just me and 2 other gaffers, and then just me and 1 other after abuc left (nice spot you picked with the tank btw).

I went 15 - 2, 14 - 5 and 18 - 6 in the 3 games after that. I decided to go assault and pick the M16 and just raped with it. Also, grabbed the boat and did some damage on hill in that last game. People ignore the boat for some reason - I always went for it and would drive out to the middle of the lake and just unload on them :lol

Finally felt like the "old days" in those 3 matches.
Fine! You're never invited to come to our squad anymore!:lol

TheSeks

1stStrike said:
Fine! I'll just take all the gaf newbies then :lol

Good, because I don't want them. And maybe Dream and Evolved will stop bailing on me leaving me with them. :|

GoDLiKe

NHale said:

Good luck with that, as they didn't fix the headset bug on Battlefield 1943 for PS3. And that's why I'm not buying anything more from them (unless it's another BF based on WWII :D).

Coldsnap

So is everything glitched even the awards? I just looked at my awards and I had nothing and no progress on any... when this gets fixed will we still have all the awards we have earned now?

Hardcore all the way. Spotting is neat concept but the gameplay just is so much superior on hardcore. Seems like majority of PC servers are hardcore as well

BioHazard

Had a bunch of good games so far today, but still tired of teammates that don't do shit (I swear it worse in Vietnam than in regular BC2). 360 GAF add me! GT: BioHazard117

Also, does anyone know the loading music for Hill 137? It sounds like some Booker T and the MG's or something.

TheSeks

Coldsnap said:
So is everything glitched even the awards? I just looked at my awards and I had nothing and no progress on any... when this gets fixed will we still have all the awards we have earned now?

Servers are up and down, but they're saving things. I have my bronzes.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Man, the flamethrower is broken in this game. I understand DICE was worried that it would become too overpowered, but when you see your opponent in the killcam covered in fire but standing still like nothing is happening to him, something is definitely wrong. I rather they just omit the flamethrower completely than the nerfed one they have here.

Also, why are there no machine gun turrets in Vietnam, when they were in BC2? They would definitely help against the PBRs and choppers.

I know the majority of folks here are on PS3, but if anyone wants to add my 360 gamertag, you're more than welcome.

My tag is Commandr Cody.

Spotting seems to be way more inconsistent in Vietnam which is annoying. Without motion sensors and with the massive chokepoints at the start of Vantage Point and Hill 137 it's incredibly frustrating when you can't alert your non-squad teammates to where ambushers are.

Also does anyone else think that the PBR is overpowered at the moment? I think Dice should consider making it vulnerable to small arms fire like the Hueys. On Hill 137 conquest and Cao Son Temple conquest in particular you can just annihilate the opposition on the exposed hillsides (that offer very little cover).

Also the reduced bullet and rocket drop is annoying, why did they feel the need to change it? With the RPG in particular I would have preferred that they either left it the same or removed rocket drop entirely; this 'hybrid' is just confusing and annoying when switching between vanilla and Vietnam.

On the whole though Vietnam is a lot of fun. They've really nailed the Vietnam atmosphere with the loading music, loading screens, post match reports, weapon models, audio, etc. and that goes a long way to making things feel fresh. Pretty impressive. I don't think it will have the longevity of vanilla BFBC2 but it makes for a nice change and brings some new things to the table.

endlessflood said:
Spotting seems to be way more inconsistent in Vietnam which is annoying. Without motion sensors and with the massive chokepoints at the start of Vantage Point and Hill 137 it's incredibly frustrating when you can't alert your non-squad teammates to where ambushers are.

I felt the same. The spotting was buggy in BC 2 but it somehow feels worse here for some reason.

Top Bottom