• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam |OT|

olimpia84

so did you guys give up on this or what? Every time I join somebody in my FL from GAF they're playing the vanilla game :lol

meppi

olimpia84 said:
so did you guys give up on this or what? Every time I join somebody in my FL from GAF they're playing the vanilla game :lol

Well, I just got done playing for a good 2 hours myself.
But since I only bought BFBC2 a good week ago, I still want to put a lot of time into the original multiplayer as well, which I actually prefer thanks to the modern gadgets.

Also my best friend doesn't have Vietnam yet and I don't know if he'll pick it up, so I always play vanilla with him when he's on.

If you don't mind 2 guys blabbering on in Flemish all the time when we're playing together, you can always add me. ;)
meppi64 on PSN
If not, there's always the mute button. :D

I can't wait to get home and play this. Especially with it being snowing and all, I have an excuse to slack off :)

So I asked this before, but haven't gottenna response . . . Is there a list of Steam GAFfers playing regularly? I'd like to join a group of dedicated players.

Playing the PC version.. some impressions:

The SMGs just don't balance with the rifles; they have better damage (apparently) and don't lack much accuracy because I've been sniped by them far more frequently than assault rifles.

I love the no scope on assault rifles.. Playing with iron sights is a blast.

The vehicles are incredibly fun, and a tank rush in 'nam is a real tank rush, demolishing! The huey is a blast to fly and shoot in.

The boat has to be the most bullshit vehicle ever..

Maps need fixing, game needs better maps.

That's all.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
As someone who platinumed the Uzi in vanilla before anything else... I can say with a high degree of certainty that its Vietnam counterpart is a huge piece of shit.

Assault rifles in Vietnam make the SMG's cry themselves to sleep at night.

subversus said:
I like increased damage, I don't like being on a receiving end :lol Anyway I'm not sniped from SMGs across the map anymore. That was my main concern. I had to sit behind some rock most matches and it worked. I was controlling choke points but I don't like playing this way. Now I can flank people.
i was sniping people in A on Phu Bai from B with a SMG early this morning! it was pretty hilarious that they kept coming back to the same spot.

ZZMitch

shagg_187 said:
Fugh. So pissed off that I missed out on EA Sale... :(

Needed one for me and me friend! :(

Bad Company 2 (not Vietnam) is on sale for 6.80$ on Steam. Forgot I was in the Vietnam thread, whoops!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Any tips for an idiot playing this with a controller (and not switch over to kb/m!)? Only played the BC2 beta on the 360 so I'm a bit behind. The Flamethrower is fun though.

Dani said:
Any tips for an idiot playing this with a controller (and not switch over to kb/m!)? Only played the BC2 beta on the 360 so I'm a bit behind. The Flamethrower is fun though.
stand behind a tank with your repair tool out.

Spl1nter

The Faceless Master said:
stand behind a tank with your repair tool out.

Press down right mouse button.
Move mouse until positioned over enemy
Press and Hold down left mouse button until enemy is dead
Repeat

M16 (Assault), M60 (Medic), and PPsH (Engi) seem to be pretty good weapons. Stick to those.

ZZMitch

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
The M60's reload animation is too long. I'd use the XM22. It's got good power and a huge ammo clip.

Same here, great gun.

BTW, do you automatically start off with all the available guns in Vietnam?

tahrikmili said:
Playing the PC version.. some impressions:

The SMGs just don't balance with the rifles; they have better damage (apparently) and don't lack much accuracy because I've been sniped by them far more frequently than assault rifles.

Eh? Are you playing on Hardcore servers by chance and not know it? The SMG in regular on PC are far less accurate and powerful compared to the rifles. On hardcore with controlled fire you can perform some sniping but everything kills in hardcore.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"[GAS]Warm-Up-The-Bus" is a fucking moron that hasn't heard of the "LAND THE FUCKING CHOPPER AT THE FUCKING BASE SO I CAN FUCKING REPAIR IT YOU GODDAMN MORON" method. 5 mins of flying over people (to where I can't hit them as he's trying to hit them with the Huey's missiles. SMH.) and we're in 25-50% as I keep trying to find the "repair spot" on the goddamn thing in flight. We could've topped it up at 100% and rolled the other team over if he had a fucking brain. Jesus Christ, I hate people with 2-3 GAF and not a full squad that knows what the fuck to do. >:|

TheSeks

olimpia84 said:

4 maps get old real fast, dude.

Vanilla 6-12? maps.

Yeah, there's a reason why people go between the two. More maps in rotation on Vanilla to where you don't see the same four in an hour.

MGHA

Sense there isn't really any good in game music from the radio, is there a way to add your own like the original game?

ZZMitch said:
Same here, great gun.

BTW, do you automatically start off with all the available guns in Vietnam?
you start off with the class specific guns and flamethrower. the other guns are unlocks, 870 is like Rank 1 or something, Thompson is Rank 10 (or unlocked as default with LE/Ultimate, dunno about PC) and Garand you need Veteran status (played another Battlefield game on the same EA ID).

Darklord

Banned
you start off with the class specific guns and flamethrower. the other guns are unlocks, 870 is like Rank 1 or something, Thompson is Rank 10 (or unlocked as default with LE/Ultimate, dunno about PC) and Garand you need Veteran status (played another Battlefield game on the same EA ID).

All mine are unlocked. :\

Edit: Oh because I'm Rank 26. Kinda wish they were locked still. I like working towards new weapons.

Evolved1

Darklord said:

Edit: Oh because I'm Rank 26. Kinda wish they were locked still. I like working towards new weapons.

I really hate this trend.

Darklord said:

i hate working towards weapons. maybe you can take all the guns, write their names on a piece of paper, put them in a bowl, divide the max rank from the amount of guns, then pick a name out of the bowl every time you hit the number you got when you divided. you would really FEEL the PROGRESS of EARNING things.

Evolved1

i hate working towards weapons. maybe you can take all the guns, write their names on a piece of paper, put them in a bowl, divide the max rank from the amount of guns, then pick a name out of the bowl every time you hit the number you got when you divided. you would really FEEL the PROGRESS of EARNING things.

Today I'm in a hectic match on Arica Harbor with a couple really cool squadmates. We're attacking, ticket count is low, and we're planting on Alpha. Two guys come in the garage and I kill both, but die in the process. My squadmate who's in the garage with me says... "Hey man, I'd revive you, but I don't have the defibs yet."

Fuuuuuck! Unlocks are retarded.

TheSeks

God, I wish someone would fly the Huey smartly.

25 kills to 50 kills for the trophy. Such a neat idea mired by shitty pilots. :|

Raoh

olimpia84 said:

It would be nice if i could mix the maps between vanilla maps and vietnam maps...

i'd love to play the harbor map and hill 137 back to back without having to back out

Evolved1

TheSeks said:

25 kills to 50 kills for the trophy. Such a neat idea mired by shitty pilots. :|

Do you have to be the gunner? Does pilot get credit for any kills? I don't know this, even from vanilla I've always wondered.

I can see how frustrating it would be for you faceless given that you flit between two separate platforms and would have to unlock everything twice. I don't envy you that.

Personally I don't mind it too much, I think the unlocks encourage a lot of people to play the game for longer than they normally would and in terms of having an active MP community that can only be a good thing. I also kind of like the little bit of mystery and/or prestige (whatever you want to call it) that goes with certain weapons prior to you unlocking them. I always thought it was pretty cool to see an enemy using a gun that you hadn't unlocked (and probably killing you with it a few times) and then going out of your way to hunt that player down, kill them, and then steal their shiny weapon. It feels like Christmas when you pick one of those weapons up for the first time and start using it in the game, and it feels really good when you finally unlock that weapon yourself and can start showing it off to your friends.

I know people will say that's silly and it makes no sense to enjoy the 'RPG meta game' or whatever other term they want to use for it, but the bottom line is that many (if not most) people do actually enjoy that sort of stuff. I mean let's be honest, most people here enjoy posting their stats (as soon as one person does it there's always a flood of stats posts), and many have posted here the moment they hit level 50, and really those things are the same: they shouldn't offer enjoyment in and of themselves... but for most people they just do.

recklessmind said:
Do you have to be the gunner? Does pilot get credit for any kills? I don't know this, even from vanilla I've always wondered.
Pilot has missiles. Seks doesn't like being the pilot. You also get a chopper kill for any kill you get while in the chopper. someone run over your AT Mines while in a chopper? chopper kill! detonate C4 while in a chopper that you put at Bravo 5 minutes ago? chopper kill!

Well I'm done with this until the new map unlocks. Hopefully they didn't ruin it, though with the quality of the existing maps I wouldn't be surprised. I just can't imagine they were even playtested they suck so bad, especially Vantage Point. Whoever designed that level needs to be fucking fired.

abuC

TheSeks said:

It's hard to fly the Huey to be honest, you have to keep it low and use it as a transport mostly. I think too many people are trying to use it like an attack chopper, when I have it fully loaded first thing I do is fly over to the crate and drop two people off. After that, I basically just do straffing runs, and get really low, circle straffing for the most part will not work.

TheSeks

"[ART]Killroy_17" should get back to fucking Halo. Christ.

I hate piloting the choppers. I rather gun than worry about my balance, which is horrible. I can do it, but I can NOT land missiles on a dime like Abu and some of you. I just can't. Gunning is easier for me to do, but the stupid random assholes online either blow the teams chopper (like the dude above) or they're shitty pilots that throw my aim off by suddenly - to \'ing.

Abu said:
It's hard to fly the Huey to be honest, you have to keep it low and use it as a transport mostly.

All I want is for someone to make it easy for me to gunner kill 24 more people. After that I ain't touching the bird or it's seats again. It's only available on one map, which makes this grind even more tedious and annoying.

abuC

TheSeks said:
All I want is for someone to make it easy for me to gunner kill 24 more people. After that I ain't touching the bird or it's seats again. It's only available on one map, which makes this grind even more tedious and annoying.
Making it easy for you will make it easy for the enemy to hit the chopper :lol I know I make it really hard on my gunners in the Huey, but being a pest with the Huey can work well, it draws a lot of attention and people will shoot at it instead of disarming crates.

TheSeks

abuC said:
Making it easy for you will make it easy for the enemy to hit the chopper :lol I know I make it really hard on my gunners in the Huey, but being a pest with the Huey can work well, it draws a lot of attention and people will shoot at it instead of disarming crates.

I don't mind the fast flybys if it meant I didn't have to equip V Armor to keep the bird up like I generally have to with the stupid randoms. :/

Otherwise V WARHEAD stops the stupid slow kill damage rate on the gunner to where I can actually get kills.

23 more kills... *siiiigh*

Honestly, I don't know why DICE didn't count the kills among the stars. I would have had both of those trophies day one in that case, considering over the past year of BC2 I've gotten the air platinum star. :| But nooo let's grind 100 kills in a tank (easy) and shitty 50 kills in a Huey that'll be shot down in seconds.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
"[ART]Killroy_17" should get back to fucking Halo. Christ.

I hate piloting the choppers. I rather gun than worry about my balance, which is horrible. I can do it, but I can NOT land missiles on a dime like Abu and some of you. I just can't. Gunning is easier for me to do, but the stupid random assholes online either blow the teams chopper (like the dude above) or they're shitty pilots that throw my aim off by suddenly - to \'ing.

I always push the envelope when it comes to hanging mid-air for my gunner to rack up easy kills, but it often gets us RPG'd. It's also really frustrating when a gunner doesn't prioritize targets... However... I've had Cal in my chopper a few times and he took it to the bank. :lol

So if you're willing to take an odd RPG here and there (w/o yelling at me) for a stable gunning platform... I love flying the huey. But you'll have to put up with the occasional low altitude acrobatics in an around the trees... I just can't help myself.

abuC, you ever have the problem where people don't jump out of the chopper over the objectives? I often get a full load, and really transport is what the thing is best suited for... so I immediately fly over and no one jumps out!

abuC

recklessmind said:
However... I've had Cal in my chopper a few times and he took it to the bank. :lol

abuC, you ever have the problem where people don't jump out of the chopper over the objectives? I often get a full load, and really transport is what the thing is best suited for... so I immediately fly over and no one jumps out!

I only fly when I play with gaffers, so I haven't run into that problem yet.

And yeah, Calion is the best gunner I've seen in this game, he mows down everything and everyone :lol

1stStrike

Banned
I have 30 more minutes of work and I'm wide awake so I think I'm going to hop onto 'nam a bit when I get off.

I need to work on helicopter kills too, Seks. I'll fight you for them.

Majeh

Hey guys, I installed BC2/Vietnam for the first time on steam but I'm getting this weird mouse error where the crosshair doesn't match up to where I'm pointing:

Any ideas on how to sort it? I haven't even started playing yet, and can't exit the game since I can't move my mouse far enough to select exit.

TheSeks

looks like my PS3 just died. guess i'm going 360 exclusive in BC2.

WAT? :(

;_____________; NOOOOOOO, I HAVE NOTHING TO LIVE FOR NOW!

</wrists>

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
looks like my PS3 just died. guess i'm going 360 exclusive in BC2.
MichaelScottNOOOO.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
MrTroubleMaker said:
I agree, its one of the worst things to be introduced in gaming.
Multiplayer unlocks are so retarded. I'm so glad that all the vietnam weapons were unlocked from the start.

Top Bottom