• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam |OT|

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
dralla said:
how are the maps in this compared to vanilla? i like the maps that are both infantry and vehicle friendly, maps like heavy metal and atomica desert can get frustrating when not in a vehicle.
They're pretty small and infantry based, but to be honest (as a mainly conquest player) they're terrible apart from Phu Bai.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
distrbnce said:
Maybe they reduced the distance out that you can spot in Vietnam, perhaps to add to the obscured, dense environment.
Seems kinda stupid when you can quite clearly see the guy, but not spot him.

distrbnce

Banned
poppabk said:
Seems kinda stupid when you can quite clearly see the guy, but not spot him.

True, but the same condition was present in vanilla.

btw, this is something I've been meaning to ask forever but I'm only getting around to it now...

I only play in Hardcore mode... what's the biggest benefit of spotting in hardcore? They only turn red for a second, and only if you press start to view the map. So like if you hear someone has spotted, are you supposed to hit start and try to see where they are really quick? Or is spotting kinda useless in HC unless you luckily spot someone right before they get killed and get some points?

I always spot, but I'm just hoping someone else knows how to use it effectively... like some sniper always hitting start when he hears a spot. But I kinda doubt it.

dorkimoe

im sure this has been answered

are the ranks in each game seperate? or if i rank up in bc2 will it rank up in vietnam. I heard there was no unlocks which is sad.

distrbnce

Banned
dorkimoe said:
im sure this has been answered

are the ranks in each game seperate? or if i rank up in bc2 will it rank up in vietnam. I heard there was no unlocks which is sad.

Yes, the reason there are no unlocks for some people is because they've leveled up enough in the basic game to already have access.

Some people here complain about unlocks, but I like it because it forces you to use guns you probably wouldn't have otherwise.

This is how "Gun Game" was able to make counterstrike actually feel fresh, and should be present in some sort in any FPS.

Once I unlocked everything in MW, I would try to recreate this feeling by starting myself with a shitty loadout, and just trying to kill one person, then stealing there loadout and seeing what I got.

Ikuu said:
They're pretty small and infantry based, but to be honest (as a mainly conquest player) they're terrible apart from Phu Bai.

Yeah, after putting more time into it, I think I have soured to this expansion and would suggest a pass. Dice really needs to fire the people they have designing their maps as there are so few good maps in Vanilla BC2 and really only one in Vietnam (Phu Bai).

dorkimoe

distrbnce said:
Yes, the reason there are no unlocks for some people is because they've leveled up enough in the basic game to already have access.

Some people here complain about unlocks, but I like it because it forces you to use guns you probably wouldn't have otherwise.

This is how "Gun Game" was able to make counterstrike actually feel fresh, and should be present in some sort in any FPS.

Once I unlocked everything in MW, I would try to recreate this feeling by starting myself with a shitty loadout, and just trying to kill one person, then stealing there loadout and seeing what I got.

yeah i love unlocks. otherwise everyone just uses the same shit.

except that the sniper they give you in the beginning is better than the next 2 if i recall

edit: so the ranks are seperate or no? :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
dorkimoe said:
edit: so the ranks are seperate or no? :p

No. They're the same. Anything you gain will be notified as "unlocked in Bad Company 2!"

1stStrike

Banned
I meant to play yesterday, but bought Prototype off the PSN store and before I knew it it was 5 am :lol

Beat the game in a single sitting. I just could not stop playing. The story was so-so but damn that was a fun (and hard) game

meppi

Pfff, stats are offline again. :(

Gonna be a boring night playing with the beginner weapons...

When are they actually gonna fix this shit?

1stStrike

Banned
meppi said:
Pfff, stats are offline again. :(

Gonna be a boring night playing with the beginner weapons...

When are they actually gonna fix this shit?

Based on their track record, give them 4 - 6 weeks.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
1stStrike said:
Based on their track record, give them 4 - 6 weeks.
I think that some of the big studios close during holidays. :lol
Hope you like waiting plus BFBC2 Bug fixing doesnt seem to be a top priority.

YOUR TEAM LOST! LOL

Kade

Confidence Man said:
That vid of the fifth map looks great. That will be the only one I play once it gets unlocked.

Should be unlocked by the weekend for PC players. Can't wait!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
distrbnce said:
I was shocked to see this STILL present in Vietnam... for real, how hard can something like that be?
Apparently very hard.

Mikey Jr.

Jesus, stats not updating.

Been gone for awhile, but how often does this happen? Shit.

They should just keep your stats on your system. Yeah, you'll get some boosting bullshit, but you dont have to worry about not updating crap.

TheSeks

It's only been happening since Vietnam launched. Steam Sale + PS3 Black Ops patch breaking shit = massive influx in players and them checking their stats = KERNEL SERVER PANIC.

TheSeks

shagg_187 said:
I'm buying two copies though (one for me, one for a friend), which is why it's wallet crushing! :p

Then have your friend pay for your snickers for the week, then!

meppi

TheSeks said:
It's only been happening since Vietnam launched. Steam Sale + PS3 Black Ops patch breaking shit = massive influx in players and them checking their stats = KERNEL SERVER PANIC.
Bah, I'm done for tonight.

I don't know what it is but when the stats reset and no one on my friends list is playing, I tend to get paired up with the most retarded group of people.
Reminds me a bit too much of the KZ2 camping clusterfucks. :mad:

Not being able to squad up since everyone is playing by themselves, no group support, not one single spot since no one can even accidentally auto-spot with the unlockable visor.
While the enemy is as lame as ever and has 8 wookies on their team. FFS.
And when you finally get a squad together you get paired up with 2 11 year olds with a whiny voice that crouch behind a crate and don't even move their ass to defuse a bomb. Fucking hell.

If it wasn't for the awesome games I'd had this afternoon and in the early evening, where everyone was working as a close-knit team I would seriously give up on this game. Luckily I've got a couple of Gaffers on my FL to save the day every now and again.

meppi

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I'm on the PS3 version. I can't take playing with randoms anymore. Someone please add me. PSN - Rated-rsuperstar
Will do so tomorrow as I'm already in bed. ;)
Mine's meppi64. You can always add Mancunian11 as well as he's the person I always play with, when he has time to play that is.

The Faceless Master said:
don't go so high/far.
So just skirt the left edges of the huts by driving along that steep incline? Every time I go to try it my team blows both objectives and the game ends, so I haven't had a chance to test it out! :D

dralla

I can't believe I bought this piece of shit. The maps are so bad and the weapons are way too strong. ugh, glad it only cost me 5 bucks

dralla

what? I hate having such powerful weapons so I would play CoD? I like Vanilla BC2 because it takes quite a few bullets to kill people, now as soon as I'm seen I'm dead. I have no chance to return fire or get away. It forces you to play so defensively, which is exactly what I hate. And than the maps :lol give me a break with this funneling of one team into choke points to be slaughtered. Than there's the vehicles, which have such a small impact on the matches compared to Vanilla, also thanks to the map design.

dralla said:
what? I hate having such powerful weapons so I would play CoD? I like Vanilla BC2 because it takes quite a few bullets to kill people, now as soon as I'm seen I'm dead. I have no chance to return fire or get away. It forces you to play so defensively, which is exactly what I hate. And than the maps :lol give me a break with this funneling of one team into choke points to be slaughtered. Than there's the vehicles, which have such a small impact on the matches compared to Vanilla, also thanks to the map design.
Dude you're taking Vietnam's play-style tweak too seriously...

calmdownbrolemur.gif

Massa

dralla said:

Give yourself some time to adjust to the game. If you approach it like a BC2 map pack you will have a bad experience.

Also, you can equip body armor if you think that would help.

pj

Banned
dralla said:

THEN

dralla said:
most guns take like 1 bullet less than their BC2 counterparts... it's like having magnum ammo on all the time!

dralla said:
No it doesn't. I use magnum ammo all the time between vanilla and Vietnam and there is barely a difference in bullet damage.

TheSeks

dralla said:
I like Vanilla BC2 because it takes quite a few bullets to kill people, now as soon as I'm seen I'm dead.

This is BC2 25% buff back. I guess you hated BC2 on launch? (March to June this year)

Oh, and GB2/CoD/ anyway. Questioning our God, Battlefield. HEATHEN! *throws holy water*

I haven't seen it yet, but can PC servers have both vanilla and vietnam maps in the same rotation, or must the servers be dedicated to either one?

Square Triangle said:
Is DICE planning on adding more maps to this?

dlc, for dlc. Doubt it unless it's free.

Nabs

Battle for Hastings update:

360: 32,303,078

PS3: 24,526,170

PC: 62,352,308

holy crap. almost there!

I downloaded this last week.

All in all it's pretty fun but i've only played it once since I downloaded it.

It's pretty cool being the NVA and seeing a tank bust up into your village blasting some CCR on it's speakers.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Just had 3 incredible rush matches. My friend was crazy and armed the first two M-COMs on Vantage Point. And I was a crazy medic constantly reviving him in the process.

I was killed at the second base and revived with a shotgun in my hands. I hate shotguns. Thinking that I have nothing to loose I flanked the second crate and killed 3 guys who were disarming it.

TheSeks

PjotrStroganov said:
STAAAAAAAAAAATS!

I know, right?

It's why I haven't played heavy these past few days. One helicopter kill I have isn't counting. SMH, DICE. I want that stupid chopper kill trophy done with. ;___;

meppi

Indeed, this is BS. Seems to be going on almost every night from 9PM-1AM CET.

Sometimes you'll get lucky and it'll refresh, but if you leave the game and go somewhere else you're back to being level 1 and losing all your equipment. :mad:
This always seems to coincide with the most worthless kids playing.
Hopefully this'll be resolved when their Christmas is over.

Don't care about the points loss, but I hate playing without my personal choice of weapons.

Top Bottom