• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
it's worse in Vanilla.

I just went back to vanilla for 5 games and my team was pretty awesome compared to the train wrecks I was finding in vietnam.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
You'd think people would know how to spot by now. I guess not.

Yeah, that does drive me up the wall. Nobody was spotting on my team in vietnam, but in vanilla everyone was spotting. Go figure.

AkuMifune

Banned
1stStrike said:
I just went back to vanilla for 5 games and my team was pretty awesome compared to the train wrecks I was finding in vietnam.

Jumping back into vanilla last night I had some really great pub games. Seems like most of the meatheads left for Vietnam, and the people left know what they're doing. Or I got lucky.

1stStrike

Banned
There was no fucking around in the pub vanilla games I was in. People set up shop and took care of business. I really missed the design of the vanilla maps, as they really do feel better then the vietnam maps.

But, that's probably because I've played each map like hundreds of times in the past, so I know them well. I still haven't played the new maps yet like harvest day and such though. I'll probably try them out tomorrow.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I can't go back to vanilla. I like balance of Vietnam better and while Vantage Point sucks, that's the only map that sucks, others are awesome once you get the hang of it.

blurrygil

Hey FM, you still playing on 360 for now? Myself and quite a few other gaffers have been on regularly, so if you're down it'd be cool to FL ya.

dralla

I played BC2 for the first time in a long time yesterday. Did the 'nam update change the sound at all? I really need to crank it now to get it to what I like, never have to do that before.

still undecided if I should get the expansion though, hmmm

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
dralla said:
I played BC2 for the first time in a long time yesterday. Did the 'nam update change the sound at all? I really need to crank it now to get it to what I like, never have to do that before.

still undecided if I should get the expansion though, hmmm

buy it when the fifth map unlocks.

arab

the best feeling in the world is to join a game mildly late on vantage point conquest while the other team has all 3 bases and a 50 ticket advantage and lead an onslaught at C, slowly working to B and A, then proceeding to turn the tides and win the game.

fucking. amazing!

blurrygil

1stStrike said:
People in vietnam are retarded :( I can only play it with gaffers.

That's mainly the mob mentality, sadly. The goons follow wherever the new shit and new achievements are and play til they farm it all for themselves. You'll always find matches on the latest games where smacktards never spot, assist, support or coordinate. They just do their fuckin thing, move on in their personal agenda in the game and leave everyone else behind.

blurrygil

arab said:
the best feeling in the world is to join a game mildly late on vantage point conquest while the other team has all 3 bases and a 50 ticket advantage and lead an onslaught at C, slowly working to B and A, then proceeding to turn the tides and win the game.

fucking. amazing!

That map, imho, still has some balancing issues. Especially for the US side. VC have it so easy coming up the hil compared to the murderfest that ensues on the US side, when they take Bravo.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
djgil said:
That's mainly the mob mentality, sadly. The goons follow wherever the new shit and new achievements are and play til they farm it all for themselves. You'll always find matches on the latest games where smacktards never spot, assist, support or coordinate. They just do their fuckin thing, move on in their personal agenda in the game and leave everyone else behind.

Funny enough, I join Strognov's PS3 game and helped him and his randoms turn the tide at the last set. I'm not sure why they had the first two sets fail, but I made it my mission to take the tank out and suddenly (LIGHTBULB!) the team started to change classes and shit. I started to own people with the Uzi to where they all decided to use the Uzi. :lol

That map, imho, still has some balancing issues. Especially for the US side. VC have it so easy coming up the hil compared to the murderfest that ensues on the US side, when they take Bravo.
Both sides have issues climbing the hill if the tank is supported and placed right. It's just harder for the A side to climb as their side is nothing but flat open hill. C side has a narrow view and limited climbing ability, but if they get around the left (facing B from C) side, they can flank and take A, making people scramble from B (due to having to push for ticket bleed) for their team to take B.

blurrygil

TheSeks said:
Funny enough, I join Strognov's PS3 game and helped him and his randoms turn the tide at the last set. I'm not sure why they had the first two sets fail, but I made it my mission to take the tank out and suddenly (LIGHTBULB!) the team started to change classes and shit. I started to own people with the Uzi to where they all decided to use the Uzi. :lol

That happens sometimes, especially if it's a 2-4 man squad that's clearly good at what they do. Everyone sometimes will follow by example. But when I say sometimes, I mean SOME time. Very SOME. :lol

Both sides have issues climbing the hill if the tank is supported and placed right. It's just harder for the A side to climb as their side is nothing but flat open hill. C side has a narrow view and limited climbing ability, but if they get around the left (facing B from C) side, they can flank and take A, making people scramble from B (due to having to push for ticket bleed) for their team to take B.[/QUOTE]

But hitting A from the left flank is very much exposing as you go across those platformed patties. And that side of the hill is also the common B-spawn. Everytime I take a squad over that way we get mowed down like cattle as everyone has spawned right there. Plus you may have a snipe on their back line time to time, which doesn't help in that maneuver. I usually try to flank right, thru the fields and more straight away to the flag base. But it's getting up that side of the hill, with it's limited range and lack of cover (minus the rocks at the bottom) that's brutal. Coming up from A at least provides some building, rock and tree defilade...

/rant

meppi

The public games are a bit hit and miss.

Most of the time I get into great games with good to excellent players, but every once in a while I get into a server where I'm pared up with that are just worthless in very single meaning of the word.

Got mad at one of my squad mates yesterday.
We're on Arica Harbor conquest as the US and one of the guys is setting up camp right on top of the hill where you spawn.
I don't mind since he can help us by scoping out point C for which I'm heading first.
I take out 2 guys while a third one sneaks up on me and kills me.
I realize that this guy hasn't move an inch when I respawn and I take notice.
This happens again and again and for some reason no one is trying to take him out, or he keeps returning to the exact same spot every single time while we're running out of tickets.
So I spawn on him to see what he's overlooking.
He's not even trying to protect any of the objectives, but is scoped in on the spawn section of the enemy all the way down the map.
So I try to explain that he should try and back us up on the flags, which he completely ignores and just keeps camping.
So I throw some C4s at him and let it rip. He was scarred away and falls back, sitting even further back when he can't even see anything on the map!

I return to the battle myself thinking he'll follow. But after a little he goes back to his camping place.
Naturally we lose the round.

After a couple of shitty games I was about to quit and just talked to my buddy about our plans for today. While I do this, I see the guy has set up camp again at the spawn place on the other side of the map, looking out on a street where no one ever shows up.
I start chucking C4, grenades and even motion sensor balls at his head, which has little effect so I stand in front of him and start jumping up and down yelling "camper here" :lol which pisses him of as he starts throwing morion sensors at me now.
I tell him to stop being a worthless camper then and do something useful for the team for a change at which point he finally runs away and I shut the game off.

Sheesh.
This game can be one of the most fun online experiences on the PS3 if you get a group of good people together on both sides, but so aggravating when you get teamed up with morons only thinking about their kill count.

Luckily the good/bad game ratio seems to be the exact opposite as KZ2 MP, so at least that gives me hope to return day after day.

YoungHav said:
how far are we from the 5th map unlocking?

Was about to ask this question as well lol. Guess I won't be lazy.
BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 2 HAS A FIFTH MULTIPLAYER MAP WAITING FOR YOU! TO UNLOCK IT, PERFORM 69 MILLION COLLECTIVE TEAM ACTIONS ON YOUR PLATFORM.
This remastered version of the map Operation Hastings unlocks as soon as your platform reaches 69 millions combined team actions. Every team action made from the launch of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnamn counts. Make sure you contribute from day one to unlock Operation Hastings as quickly as possible!
SO WHAT'S A TEAM ACTION? WELL, IT'S ANY AND ALL OF THESE:
> RESUPPLY
> REVIVE
> HEAL
> SPOT
> REPAIR

22 926 243 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR

PS3
17 126 306 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR

PC
42 012 950 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR
Hastings is unlocked at 69million

TheSeks said:

Both sides have issues climbing the hill if the tank is supported and placed right. It's just harder for the A side to climb as their side is nothing but flat open hill. C side has a narrow view and limited climbing ability, but if they get around the left (facing B from C) side, they can flank and take A, making people scramble from B (due to having to push for ticket bleed) for their team to take B.

Sorry for quitting so soon. Had to eat.

I joined another buddy of mine who is only level 2, so due to the wonders of matchmaking the average al level of players wasn't too high. Got me some nice mine kills though because some suckers just keep on trying.:lol

TheSeks

PjotrStroganov said:
I joined another buddy of mine who is only level 2, so due to the wonders of matchmaking the average al level of players wasn't too high. Got me some nice mine kills though because some suckers just keep on trying.:lol

I got annoyed by the tank because the enemy got out to repair and I'm like "Fuck, I don't have explosive up." So as soon as I died, I went non-MA on the Uzi (only use MA on the engineer in Vietnam to get my gold stars), laid a rocket into the tank and one hit it. I'm like "Holy shit, once I gold the engineer weapons, I need to carry a buffed RPG-7 if that's what happens everytime!" :lol

Arnie

Battlefield 3 better have a fucking theater mode, take whatever resources were spent on making a Singleplayer campaign for the two Bad Company games and task them with creating the best video recording/editing feature in any game, ever.

I just had the craziest game on Phu Valley. Started off in a jeep, my driver bails out at B so i just sit as a stationary turret. I end up pepperring and destroying the other teams helicopter straight off the bat, nailing the guys as they bail. So good.

Then I get in a chopper of my own, manning one of the turrets. We get into a dogfight with a second, enemy chopper. I manage to nail the driver on a strafing run and the chopper barrel rolls down to the ground.

Finally a jeep screams past me on a muddy road, disappearing into the shrubbery. I turn, equip my grenade launcher and just fire blindly into the undergrowth, only to come out with a double kill as something in the distance explodes. Beautiful.

Proc

I bought this on the steam sale. Played with a friend and it is fabulous. Got my ass handed to me but my k:d got better as I learned the flow of the game toward the end of my 4th match.

TheSeks

sw33tclyde said:
:lol

Who fucking cares who is 'better'(lolzhow2relative)? We can't play each other so kindly stfu about it please.

B-B-B-BUT MY PC MASTER RACE ELITISM!

I agree. PCGAF can be annoying fucks at times.

30/50 Huey kills. >_< Gawwwwwd, nearly there.

Arnie said:
Battlefield 3 better have a fucking theater mode, take whatever resources were spent on making a Singleplayer campaign for the two Bad Company games and task them with creating the best video recording/editing feature in any game, ever.

Seriously, some amazing moments that I wish I could have saved.

For example today I spotted two guys on a hill at 50-70 meters or something like that, the fact is that they were far away, I aim with the grenade launcher while thinking:"I will fail but I wanna try anyway", I shot then turn around and 2-3 seconds after "BAAM! DOUBLE KILL!" I was like "WOOOOW .....where's my theater mode!!" I didn't even teabagged those poor bastards I just jumped like crazy. :lol

meppi

Talking about awesome moments, I just had two that blew my mind.

First I was finally able to snipe down a new chopper from quite a distance by doing a headshot on the pilot.

Then shot a guy of a jetski with a revolver, after which he tried to come over the lake again with a boat while someone manned the machine gun and was firing at me.
I thought, what the heck, I'll never make it but I'll shoot anyway.
Ended up doing a one bullet double kill headshot on the two guys in the speeding boat. :lol

I'm still a bit of a noob at BFBC2, but I'm loving these kind of moments where everything just comes together. :)

TheSeks

Abu: WTF, man? FORGET THE FUCKING PBR. HOLD B. ARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGH.

B is in a fox hole, they can't hit it with the boat. Stupid randoms and you were off at the shore taking it out. >:|

And then they bumrush B last set but we held them off a bit.

Anyway: 31/50 Huey kills. Stupid Warhead won't take them out when people pass by. Ugh.

kai3345

Banned
Only was able to download the patch and have enough time for Vantage Point before I had to go to work.

Not a great map, not bad, but not too good either. But the people here say that's the worst map of the four, so that's good news.

I really liked the sounds of the weapons, and hearing Creedence Clearwater Revival in the middle of a battle was just awesome

abuC

TheSeks said:
Abu: WTF, man? FORGET THE FUCKING PBR. HOLD B. ARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGH.

B is in a fox hole, they can't hit it with the boat. Stupid randoms and you were off at the shore taking it out. >:|

And then they bumrush B last set but we held them off a bit.

Anyway: 31/50 Huey kills. Stupid Warhead won't take them out when people pass by. Ugh.

Do you make these posts while we're playing?

Anyway, that last game sucked, everyone left and it was just Ejas, You and I from the GAF world. To all PS3 Gafers, if you want you can add BDmonk, U_R_Suck or Pinched_Face, they are all associates of mine that I used to play with a lot. They seem to be joining our games more often, so Im guessing they like how GAF rolls.

So at the top of Hill 137 you can take a tank around the big tree on the left to get behind the tank traps, but what next? I tried to take my tank around the left side of the shacks and ended up staying out of bounds for too long.

TheSeks

abuC said:

Do you make these posts while we're playing?

No. After. I'm sitting there at the spawn screen like "WTF ARE YOU DOING!? DON'T BOTHER WITH THE PBR! THEY CAN'T HIT THE DISARMERS! WE WORRY ABOUT THE INFANTRY! >:|"

Anyway, that last game sucked, everyone left and it was just Ejas, You and I from the GAF world. To all PS3 Gafers, if you want you can add BDmonk, U_R_Suck or Pinched_Face, they are all associates of mine that I used to play with a lot. They seem to be joining our games more often, so Im guessing they like how GAF rolls.

Well, we did hold them out pretty well, but the randoms kinda sucked and it didn't help you were at the PBR. If you stuck around B and helped me patrol it, I think we could've held them off at the second set.

And yeah, I've noticed U_R_Suck and Pinched_Face in our games often.

endlessflood said:
So at the top of Hill 137 you can take a tank around the big tree on the left to get behind the tank traps, but what next? I tried to take my tank around the left side of the shacks and ended up staying out of bounds for too long.
don't go so high/far.

scitek

I picked up BC2 during the Steam sale the other day. The destructible environments make the single player fucking awesome. I tried the multiplayer, but it was kind of intimidating compared to something as simple as Call of Duty. Any tips to get into it?

scitek said:
I picked up BC2 during the Steam sale the other day. The destructible environments make the single player fucking awesome. I tried the multiplayer, but it was kind of intimidating compared to something as simple as Call of Duty. Any tips to get into it?
dont run and gun, try to stay behind cover most of the time.

hiryu

scitek said:

I also just picked up Bad Company 2 on the steam sale and I just moved and got really good internet. I haven't played a battlefield game since 2 first came out. Anyway this video really helped.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/27/battlefield-bad-company-2-tutorial-video-is-essential-viewing-for-new-recruits/

meppi

scitek said:

Don't run out in the open if you can take a more sheltered path.

Spot as much as you can, make this a habit. It won't just get you extra points, it'll save your butt and your teammates as well, many times over in fact.

Support your team.
If you're a medic, throw out medpacks when others are defending a position.
Throw ammo if you're playing as the assault class.
Repair vehicles and stick with them when you're playing as an engineer.
Don't be a lone camping sniper if it doesn't actually help your team take over flags, or help plant/defect M-Coms.

Stick with other players as much as possible, especially when you're starting out.
You'll learn a lot of things from watching them.

Oh, always squad up. Always.

Again spot, spot and spot again. ;)

Edit: ^that video. Watch it. It's the first one I watched even before I got the game and it helped me understand some of the more obvious things that I wouldn't have known otherwise, especially when coming from other games that aren't as team based.

dralla

how are the maps in this compared to vanilla? i like the maps that are both infantry and vehicle friendly, maps like heavy metal and atomica desert can get frustrating when not in a vehicle.

Coldsnap

I'm fairly sure no one is spotting because spotting is currently broken in vietnam. I sometimes spam the back button on top of someone and they do not get spotted.

Kade

scitek said:

Right when you join a game, try and get into a squad. It'll benefit you (longer lifespan, more points, etc.) and your squad and team (contributing to others to assist in completing objectives). Remember that this is a team oriented game. "Lonewolfing" is probably going to get you killed quickly unless you know the maps and can assess the threats based on what points your team has, where the spawns are, etc.

Also, remember that each class has unique equipment that will most definitely be more useful than your guns. Using them right will give you more points than getting kills with guns do and will contribute to your victory.

If you want to hit up some games, add me!

meppi

Coldsnap said:
I'm fairly sure no one is spotting because spotting is currently broken in vietnam. I sometimes spam the back button on top of someone and they do not get spotted.
Yeah it's a bit hit and miss, but it also sometimes happens in the regular game.

I don't know what it is exactly, but my best guess is that it depends on the weapon you're holding. Some can spot from a mile away while with others you have to be not further than 20 meters from your enemy.
Using scopes also helps a lot with this.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Coldsnap said:
It definitely feels wonky versus vanilla.

Kade

dralla said:
how are the maps in this compared to vanilla? i like the maps that are both infantry and vehicle friendly, maps like heavy metal and atomica desert can get frustrating when not in a vehicle.

The Vietnam maps are more infantry oriented. The objectives are closer together and there's a lot less open areas.

distrbnce

Banned
Coldsnap said:

Maybe they reduced the distance out that you can spot in Vietnam, perhaps to add to the obscured, dense environment.

Top Bottom