• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

popyea

I always thought of Bayo as a Viewtiful Joe spiritual successor, you can find many similarities between them.

I love them both so much.

Yeah, in fact they've explained that the core concept of Bayonetta (the ability to punch and kick while shooting) was actually inspired by the implementation of Dante in Viewtiful Joe.

JustinBB7

Just played the demo, never played the first game, man that was fun! I don't buy full priced games, specially not console ones because they're way overpriced, so I'll have to wait a while, but can't wait to play the full game.

Just played the demo, never played the first game, man that was fun! I don't buy full priced games, specially not console ones because they're way overpriced, so I'll have to wait a while, but can't wait to play the full game.

Are you in NA? Bayonetta 1 is included with Bayo 2, so you're getting two games for $60.

BlazS01

Banned
I just bought a WiiU. Got Mario Kart, W101, Hyrule Warriors and will get Bayonetta. Cheaper than PS4 + Bloodborne too!

So far it seems like you want Bayo 2 + Zelda U + a bunch of other great Wii U games (you need DKC:TF) vs. PS4 and bloodborne. Go with the option that let's you play more games.

From Wii U also want to play wind waker HD (already played gc version long time ago, loved it) BUT dark souls and demon's souls were my favorite games of past generation (demon's is more old ik), being dark souls one of my fav games of all time D: so I know that bloodborne would give me lot of entertainment knowing that I played so many hours in dark souls and that the gameplay is similar :c

Would be basically:
One of my favorite games of all time's spiritual succesor (+ I hope more quality games in the future lol) VS Lot of pretty good games on the Wii U

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm need to go in deep thinking.

Obviously you buy a Wii U now, and by the time bloodborne comes out, you'll have convinced yourself that you can totally spare the extra $460, and you'll end up with both. Win win.

whynotboth.gif

I'm partial to the PS4 because my favorite franchises reside there but I will be EVENTUALLY getting a wiiu for Bayo / Zelda / XCX

LOL.... I would love to have both... but I doubt I will have the budget for it, but who knows maybe I do in the future :O

Anyway Bayo2 looking amazing, already played Bayo1 so I know what to expect, I hope it doesn't have many frame rate issues tho considering that Bayo1 had some issues on xbox 360/PS3 with so much stuff on screen and flashing visuals e.e

BlazS01

Banned
So do I need to play Bayo 1 first or can I uno straight into 2?

The story in Bayo1 wasn't important, just funny/silly things in the story so I would guess that there's no problem in playing Bayo2 without playing Bayo1. BUT Bayo1 is really good so you should give it a try if you can afford both :p

The more kick ass moments the better!!

Hypron

Dang...I'm in a life or death decision right now...

Buying Wii U for bayo2(+future zelda D:) or buy PS4 for bloodborne o;

Mmmmmmm...

Wii U has lot of other good games but bloodborne is just too good to miss it :C what to do GAF.

I'd go with the PS4. It'll get more games in the future. Plus you still get one Platinum Game this month :p

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"niche action game"!? Its a sad world when action games are niche, what's not niche? Mainstream FPS or TPS 9 million?

Bayonetta 2 and Bloodborne are going to battle it out for me of best game of all time at this rate...

Monocle

Ok, what if I was attacking a different one?
Keep an eye on any close enemies you aren't attacking. You can press the left stick toward another enemy to shift your attack focus. A short combo like PKP will probably smack it out of any attack it was preparing. When you don't have enough time to finish a combo, hold the last button you pressed, dodge, then continue the combo.

Astral Dog

So do I need to play Bayo 1 first or can I uno straight into 2?

If you care even a little about the story, i would recommend playing Bayonetta 1 first, Bayo 2 has a lot of references to it and its very connected, plus Bayo 1 should be a little easier to get into, you can even play both at the same time ! just remember that Bayonetta 2 is not just a sequel,its part of the same coin.

Astral Dog

Mmmmmmm...

Wii U has lot of other good games but bloodborne is just too good to miss it :C what to do GAF.
I'd go with the PS4. It'll get more games in the future. Plus you still get one Platinum Game this month :p

Both are good, the PS4 is more of a long investment, thats for sure,while the Wii U has a few great exclusive games, i think that if you are much more hyped for Bloodborne, you can get a PS4,but if you can find a cheap Wii U, its going to have Bayonetta 2 and other good games waiting, that would be a good option too.

its your choice
buy both!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yes.

This has been what Nintendo has been saying since the Wii U launched, if you have the exclusives, the sales and gamers will come back. They just need to keep it going without letting up.

So is Bayonetta 2 the highest rated Wii U game now? Where does it stand next to 3D World?

This is actually what I'm worried about. Nintendo's support for its own console is just about the best its ever been, and its doing so badly. What does that say about the business in general and about what strategy Nintendo might adopt in the future?

gdt

If you care even a little about the story, i would recommend playing Bayonetta 1 first, Bayo 2 has a lot of references to it and its very connected, plus Bayo 1 should be a little easier to get into, you can even play both at the same time ! just remember that Bayonetta 2 is not just a sequel,its part of the same coin.

Come on man you could've warned us about that spoiler

Edit: Ahh ok you changed it. Too late for me :/.

Padinn

This is actually what I'm worried about. Nintendo's support for its own console is just about the best its ever been, and its doing so badly. What does that say about the business in general and about what strategy Nintendo might adopt in the future?

I believe there philosophy is akin to the field of dreams...

"niche action game"!? Its a sad world when action games are niche, what's not niche? Mainstream FPS or TPS 9 million?

Bayonetta 2 and Bloodborne are going to battle it out for me of best game of all time at this rate...

I believe he/she meant that the game is niche, not the genre.

Randomizer

3D World - 93
Rayman Legends - 92
Bayonetta 2 - 91
Wind Waker HD - 90
Guacameele - 90
Rayman Legends scoring higher than DKC Tropical freeze shows how little reviewers know about 2D platformers. As someone who loved Rayman Origins, I really struggled to finish Legends. The levels were too long and too easy I was bored to tears. Tropical Freeze was the opposite couldn't tear myself anyway from it. Level design was god-tier and was actually challenging. It's honestly one of the best 2d platformers ever and easily a GOTY contender, the fact that the majority of sites/awards will ignore it is frankly baffling and extremely disheartening. It's certainly my GOTY so far with only Bayonetta 2 or Smash U left to top it.

Mmmmmmm...

Get a refurb 32gb black Wii U from Nintendo's website and a PS4 - $600 bucks and you have two consoles that will last you 5-10 years

giphy.gif

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Mmmmmmm...

Depends how much you really want to play each game or their exclusives/library. If you have a gaming pc or intend to get one chances are for the near future they'll be a lot overlap in libraries. If you don't then is the wii u library good enough for you to skip the rest depending on how time you have to game. They're both good choices right now depending on your circumstances.

If you pick wait until bloodborne is released and see the consensus, there's no real rush either way.

diamount

Banned

I wouldn't worry about that, it will be bargain bin price in a few months.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Love the title change <3

i26xWvuhIoGRL.gif

Illucio

Banned

Mmmmmmm...

Short Term Investment: Wii U
Long Term Investment: PS4

The PS4 will probably get a newer version with a slimmer/smaller look, and more memory in it's future. Plus there are great games for it, the selection is just scarce for now, it needs another year before it has a solid lineup.

The Wii U is the least likely to get a slimmer/smaller look anytime soon, already has a great catalog of games with a bunch of games coming out soon.

I'd buy the Wii U now, and get the PS4 later. Unless you had a choice between one of another for a whole generation, then get the PS4, unless you are a kick butt Nintendo fan then buy the Wii U.

I bought a Wii-U at the beginning of this year. I know that's definitely not "Day One" but that being said, it has been a very, very long time since I bought a videogame console so close to launch and I got such a wealth of fantastic games released for said console. Srsly.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If "They're stealing OUR 10/10s" is not the OT title, it really needs to be somewhere on a banner in the OP itself.

VanWinkle

Rayman Legends scoring higher than DKC Tropical freeze shows how little reviewers know about 2D platformers. As someone who loved Rayman Origins, I really struggled to finish Legends. The levels were too long and too easy I was bored to tears. Tropical Freeze was the opposite couldn't tear myself anyway from it. Level design was god-tier and was actually challenging. It's honestly one of the best 2d platformers ever and easily a GOTY contender, the fact that the majority of sites/awards will ignore it is frankly baffling and extremely disheartening. It's certainly my GOTY so far with only Bayonetta 2 or Smash U left to top it.

Rayman Legends was INCREDIBLE. As a huge platformer fan, it's one of my favorites. The online challenge mode was one of the best ideas for 2D platformer longevity ever.

That said, DKCTF was amazing, too.

No. It's a better 2d platformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom