• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

impact

Banned
You know, as far as console devs go, Ninty really is the last of us.

I dunno, FROM and Platinum are a tier above them imo. The best Nintendo game I played in a long while was from Retro, rather than any of the "classic" Nintendo dev studios.

Mario 3D World was definitely missing the magic, despite being a fantastic game.

Staf

Haven't played Bayonetta 2 but the trailers and reviews is making me wanna buy a Wii U for it, it looks fun as *****!

Popnbake

I mean that Nintendo not trying their best to promote the game. In return it'll be a waste for nintendo since clearly lots of people consider this an awesome game. It would be in their best interest to make it a golden goose and the best way is to promote it like it is. If their marketing campaign is shitty, it just would be bad all around. I don't care if the WiiUs that are available now are low, if you make good games, you can sell the console to more people (i.e. Halo to Xbox or FF 7-9 for the PS1). Make a good case for your exclusives to be system sellers.

Just how much marketing does Nintendo need to do for B2 to be considered a good case for it as an system seller?

There's the great reviews that are shaping it up to be a GoTY contender along with commercials.

At some point, Nintendo marketing isn't going to be the factor to blame if this game has a poor sales performance.

Riki

Just how much marketing does Nintendo need to do for B2 to be considered a good case for it as an system seller?

There's the great reviews that are shaping it up to be a GoTY contender along with commercials.

At some point, Nintendo marketing isn't going to be the factor to blame if this game has a poor sales performance.
In a just world, Bayonetta 2 would get $500 million worth of marketing like Halo and CoD.
But this is not a just world. And we are all worse for it.

Maxim726X

There's some truth to this, but then at I would have said the same thing when FF7 was released... RPGs were niche at the time. And look at what happened. Marketing dollars would go a long way to make sure people are even aware of the franchise.

random25

There's some truth to this, but then at I would have said the same thing when FF7 was released... RPGs were niche at the time. And look at what happened. Marketing dollars would go a long way to make sure people are even aware of the franchise.

RPGs were not niche at that time. Not too mainstream, but is a popular genre nonetheless. Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (FF4 and FF6 in Japan), Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Phantasy Star series and Super Mario RPG among other RPGs that were pretty popular the generation before PS1/N64/Saturn era.

And that was the era where internet forums flooding with comments like "I like game Y, but I won't buy system X for it" were basically non-existent. :p

Then what will it be then? If everyone is doing right by the game, it should be a success no?

How is this going over your head?

Am I being too meta?

Dude said the Wii U had the best game this year. I jokingly pointed out that according to the metric this thread is revelling in, it doesn't. Simple as that. I don't really have any opinion on whether Shovel Knight is better or worse than Bayonetta (or any other game). It was just a jokey way of ribbing the dude for such a daft definitive statement.

GOTY on dead consoles.

Serious business.

The Gametrailers review surprised me. Isn´t that the highest score they´ve ever given?

Sadly, it´s not my kinda game, judging by my experience with the first Bayonetta. Everyone else enjoy the heck out of this game.

DevilFox

Shovel Knight 3DS is sitting at 92...with 6 reviews...6...

Ocarina of Time is the highest rated game ever (99).. but it only has 22 counted reviews.
GTA4 has a Metacritic of 98 with 64 critics.
Uncharted 2 is 96 with 105 critics.

Uncharted 2 >> GTA4 >>>>>>>> Ocarina of Time

/s :D

CentroXer

Banned
Ocarina of Time is the highest rated game ever (99).. but it only has 22 counted reviews.
GTA4 has a Metacritic of 98 with 64 critics.
Uncharted 2 is 96 with 105 critics.

Uncharted 2 >> GTA4 >>>>>>>> Ocarina of Time

/s :D

GTA4 with 98 in metacritic destroys the importance of game reviews.

Hatchtag

Banned
Had zero interest in this game. Heard Moon River Climax for my first time a little bit ago. Skyrocketed this game into must buy territory for me.

If it's a fantastic game it's a fantastic game. "The magic" is just nonsense.

I don't agree.

Some games just have those intangibles that you can't express properly or do justice to.

I love EAD Tokyo and Mario 3D World is almost flawless for what it is but it didn't have that something something that Galaxy has.

I guess you could attribute that to the upside-down gameplay but it's more than that, I think Galaxy's worlds felt more like charming fantasy worlds and 3D World felt like a bunch of obstacle courses one after the other.

Maybe those are some tangibles that I mentioned but I don't disregard intangibles such as "charm", "personality", etc...

phanphare

Banned
I don't agree.

Some games just have those intangibles that you can't express properly or do justice to.

I love EAD Tokyo and Mario 3D World is almost flawless for what it is but it didn't have that something something that Galaxy has.

I guess you could attribute that to the upside-down gameplay but it's more than that, I think Galaxy's worlds felt more like charming fantasy worlds and 3D World felt like a bunch of obstacle courses one after the other.

Maybe those are some tangibles that I mentioned but I don't disregard intangibles such as "charm", "personality", etc...

yeah while I mostly agree with you there is something to be said about the developer's intent. for what EAD set out to accomplish 3D World is a perfect game. like literally perfect. it's bursting at the seams with creativity, it may as well be a master class in game design, and the performance is something that is rarely seen on consoles (actual 60fps with no drops). I definitely prefer the Galaxy games but I can't fathom saying that they had lost their "magic" when they put out such a flawless product.

KooopaKid

Banned
I don't agree.

yeah while I mostly agree with you there is something to be said about the developer's intent. for what EAD set out to accomplish 3D World is a perfect game. like literally perfect. it's bursting at the seams with creativity, it may as well be a master class in game design, and the performance is something that is rarely seen on consoles (actual 60fps with no drops). I definitely prefer the Galaxy games but I can't fathom saying that they had lost their "magic" when they put out such a flawless product.

I agree with both of you but SM3DW levels were a bit too "clinical" for me. They need to bring back the wonder.

ozfunghi

Really liked this one, lol:

Over the top yet unimaginative. At least the fights are dynamic and the game itself can be a breath of fresh air, considering what else is available on the Wii U.

Astral Dog

I dunno, FROM and Platinum are a tier above them imo. The best Nintendo game I played in a long while was from Retro, rather than any of the "classic" Nintendo dev studios.

Mario 3D World was definitely missing the magic, despite being a fantastic game.

My favorite late Nintendo games are Xenoblade, Last Storry, FE Awakening, Kid Icarus, maybe you could say those are from "external" studios, although Pikmin 3 was good.

I'm getting a Wii U to play this game and other Wii U exclusives.

Yes.

This has been what Nintendo has been saying since the Wii U launched, if you have the exclusives, the sales and gamers will come back. They just need to keep it going without letting up.

So is Bayonetta 2 the highest rated Wii U game now? Where does it stand next to 3D World?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

3D World is pure Doctor Strange level magic with 4 players.

Scoops

Banned
Yes.

This has been what Nintendo has been saying since the Wii U launched, if you have the exclusives, the sales and gamers will come back. They just need to keep it going without letting up.

So is Bayonetta 2 the highest rated Wii U game now? Where does it stand next to 3D World?

3D World - 93
Rayman Legends - 92
Bayonetta 2 - 91
Wind Waker HD - 90
Guacameele - 90

DrLazy

Just played the demo.

Not for me. This is coming from someone who is NOT a huge fan of single-character-action games. But I thought I'd give the demo a shot based on the high reviews.

Here's my perspective: The gameplay is so frantic I rarely had much of any idea if I was doing something well or not. With the bosses I had trouble distinguishing attacks from the cinematics. I was given dozens of combos but with no explanation or introduction on the advantages or disadvantages that any particular combo has for any particular enemy or situation. I ended up button mashing to try out different combinations. I KNOW I could learn the combos and that they'd have advantages for juggling opponents etc., but that depth felt pretty hidden on my first play-through. I guess I prefer doling out combos bit by bit to allow me to learn as I go.

The character design is bizarre. This is a woman with guns on her shoes that uses her hair as a weapon. It's so wacky that it loses any sense of grounding in reality. I didn't feel bad-ass for killing a big boss because everything from the start was so crazy that I didn't feel any sense of escalation. Its all huge, all the time.

I loved the deliberate fighting mechanics of something like Viewtiful Joe, where every enemy had identifiable patterns to defeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom