• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinta

Banned
The only thing I can think of is that they wanted to pick someone that looked obviously weaker than Superman, so that it wouldn't look weird when Batman punches him and it does nothing.

Effect

One of the good things about an announcement like this is that I can purge my following list on twitter. Not because people disagree with the casting. That's fine. However the level of stupid coming out of some people with the comments they're making is something else and is causing me to unfollow a good deal of people.

EekTheKat

Is Affleck really much worse than Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney/Bale? It's not a homerun choice by any means but it might work out.

We're certainly going to be getting a different interpretation of Batman for sure.

BadAss2961

Ugh... This is bad... It's not even that he's not a good enough actor, it's just that he's... Ben Affleck. It's gonna take me awhile to get over this one and get some hype.

But this is what GAF gets. People should've demanded a Bale return.

Pooya

Ben Affleck is a nice guy, too nice to be BATMAN. He could work a lot better as Superman imo. Still not exactly the worst choice here, he can do better than Bale's fake bat voice.

kurahador

M8cWHoY.jpg

Kunan

Well I can definitely say I didn't see that coming lol. He should be great, but I would've preferred someone less known.

jackdoe

He was also supposed to play Batman in that too.

I do find it hard to believe that the deal is just to be Batman, since he doesn't usually act in things he doesn't direct anymore (with exceptions made for guys like Fincher, which is not a group Snyder belongs in :lol). So my guess is he's either using this as a stepping stone to direct some other DC thing (Justice League? solo Batman movie?), or more likely, basically doing this for WB in exchange for free reign on all future directing projects like Nolan.

The only reason I wouldn't automatically think it's the latter is because Affleck just won fucking Best Picture and if that doesn't get you carte blance then what the fuck does.
Also, accepting this role pretty much means there's a contract for at least three movies. Which would be at least six years of your life. He has to really want to do it. Or they gave him a boatload of cash (which wouldn't make a whole lot of sense either since an unknown would have worked just as well).

One of the good things about an announcement like this is that I can purge my following list on twitter. Not because people disagree with the casting. That's fine. However the level of stupid coming out of some people with the comments they're making is something else and is causing me to unfollow a good deal of people.

This a stupid nerd rage Gamma Bomb. It's perfect for people who's main hobby involves being outraged on the Internet for no good reason.

suaveric

He was also supposed to play Batman in that too.

I do find it hard to believe that the deal is just to be Batman, since he doesn't usually act in things he doesn't direct anymore (with exceptions made for guys like Fincher, which is not a group Snyder belongs in :lol). So my guess is he's either using this as a stepping stone to direct some other DC thing (Justice League? solo Batman movie?), or more likely, basically doing this for WB in exchange for free reign on all future directing projects like Nolan.

The only reason I wouldn't automatically think it's the latter is because Affleck just won fucking Best Picture and if that doesn't get you carte blance then what the fuck does.

Before this announcement, he had just reached the top of the mountain at WB. Unless he really has a thing for playing Batman, there has to be a bigger picture we're not seeing here.

eastmen

Banned
Well at least we know his Batman voice can't be worse than Christian Bale's, so that's something ...

But yeah, I don't think this is good casting at all. He still looks too young and boyish. He's able to play the role of a rich playboy, because that's kind of what he is normally. But I have extreme doubts about his ability to truly sell me on the fact that he's a devastating fighter that strikes true fear into his foes. Christian Bale, I could believe that. American Psycho is all you had to see, and the guy is a physical specimen, super ripped. Affleck just doesn't have the face to be scary, the physique, and I can't picture a single role he's been in that he was intimidating in, in any way.

He's not a bad actor, but he's not a good fit for this at all. Almost makes me think he'll be the comic relief in the film, and we'll see a softer Batman than the Dark Knight trilogy. Because there's no way he's going to be darker than Bale's Batman.

Jon Hamm would have been better for Bruce Wayne, but he probably couldn't pull off the physicality of Batman either. But at least he can look angry.

This was just a really bad call. It's right up there with George Clooney and Val Kilmer.

afleck is 6'4 and if you throw him in the gym for 6 months he will be jacked . He is already in good shape

281-3394.jpg

he was also fine with the fighting in dare devil (the directors cut is not a bad movie)

So I don't see a problem at all. This guy can actually act vs bale

I dont care what anyone says, i loved Daredevil. Fuck the haters, i'll give him a chance. I wonder how the internet of today would have reacted to michael keaton being cast as Batman?

Daredevil defense force, checking in

still has the best audio/visuals of a superpower ever. Dat 5.1 radar sense

Jarmel

Banned
Before this announcement, he had just reached the top of the mountain at WB. Unless he really has a thing for playing Batman, there has to be a bigger picture we're not seeing here.

This whole thing doesn't make sense unless they either wanted him for his directorial abilities or he really wanted to be Batman.

Probably both.

MisterHero

RIP Michael Clarke Duncan. His dedication in Ultimate Spider-Man was hilarious.

Michael Clarke Duncan
"He was Groot."

Also Kilowog, but GL isn't going to happen anymore.

RDreamer

I'm optimistic. I mean it was a WTF at first, but hey Heath Ledger did an amazing Joker. So, Afleck could pull off an amazing batman.

Dead Man

555292_10151891222862474_2071419471_n.jpg

Really though, I'm not that worried, the movie is not going to be requiring great acting, nor will it have a bunch of wonderful performances.

Jetman

I think Affleck has come far as an actor and director, but I just can't see him as Batman. It needed to be a darker role with a more grizzled and older looking actor. I feel like he had his chance with a vigilante role in Daredevil, and it just looked and felt like Affleck in a Daredevil costume not Matt Murdock. I just don't think he's progressed far enough as an actor to give us a good Batman.
How did Richard Armitage or Jon Hamm not get this role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom