• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

Seems like the Batman movies always have casting issues. They make some risky decisions and agree or disagree, it seems to generate a lot of controversy. There have been some roll-eyes villian choices and some cornball batman choices. Bale was fine, until the stupid voice. There were people in the theatre that literally laughed out loud the first time they heard it. That's not good. Bad choices for the sake of controversy? Or just bad choices? Some will argue that DC superhero movies have rarely reached Marvel levels because of the bad choices.

Now there's even a history of failure with Affleck as a superhero. Some people consider Daredevil to be the worst superhero movie of all time. With that on the resume you'd think he wouldn't even be considered. You just can't pretend that atrocity never happened and obviously there are a lot of people that have an issue with this decision now. Once again, an extremely controversial decision, and once again, I think it's a bad choice that is NOT going to help DC superhero movies.

Macmanus

Guys...guys. Let's be honest here.

It's a Superman meets Batman movie...it didn't need Ben Affleck in it to make it bad.

Right? Zack Snyder isn't going to magically stop being bad at film and Superman isn't going to magically become an interesting character. Slap some nips on the suits and Schumacher the hell out of this flick - because it's hot garbage any way you cut it.

royalan

Seems like the Batman movies always have casting issues. They make some risky decisions and agree or disagree, it seems to generate a lot of controversy. There have been some roll-eyes villian choices and some cornball batman choices. Bale was fine, until the stupid voice. There were people in the theatre that literally laughed out loud the first time they heard it. That's not good. Bad choices for the sake of controversy? Or just bad choices? Some will argue that DC superhero movies have rarely reached Marvel levels because of the bad choices.

Now there's even a history of failure with Affleck as a superhero. Some people consider Daredevil to be the worst superhero movie of all time. With that on the resume you'd think he wouldn't even be considered. You just can't pretend that atrocity never happened and obviously there are a lot of people that have an issue with this decision now. Once again, an extremely controversial decision, and once again, I think it's a bad choice that is NOT going to help DC superhero movies.

Bingo.

I don't think people are overreacting when there's an established history of Ben being less-than-great in these types of roles. We've been here with him before, seen what he's capable of, and it ain't much. Ben has only ever been a passable actor. Never great. I thought he was coming to terms with that.

This is just the type of casting choice that reeks of Hollywood nepotism. I just can't imagine a scenario where people got together in a room and, after hours of deliberation, determined that Ben freaking Affleck was right for the part.

120v

my whole thing is i don't see how a batman x supes would work... it doesn't fit the overall "feel" of the universe set up by man of steel. but i'll give the writers a benefit of a doubt they have something up their sleeve

affleck obvs wouldn't have been a top choice, but as an actor

He got fat...again.
o-DAVID-O-RUSSELL-AMERICAN-HUSTLE-570.jpg

Look at those small feet on Renner.

Blader

In a way that is why I believe Man of Steel suffered. They went too far away from the Reeves Superman which turned a lot of people off.

Were that true, Superman Returns would have been received a lot of better than it was.

Cavill not being Reeve is least of Man of Steel's issues (and, imo, not even an issue at all).

Forkball

"Aye I'm the goddamn Batman. I'll whip yah ass somethin' wicked before the Pats game and the boys'll take care o'ya!"

Ben Affleck has done a lot of good stuff in his career, but it's going to be hard to buy him as THE BATMAN. I think he could be a good Bruce Wayne, but we'll see how he does under the mask.

Vestal

Were that true, Superman Returns would have been received a lot of better than it was.

Cavill not being Reeve is least of Man of Steel's issues (and, imo, not even an issue at all).

the problem with Returns was the atrocious script along with Bosworth. Noth was awesome at how he revived the Reeves character, the fucking script ruined what could have been a true Superman revival.

IMO I would have recreated the Reeves Supes for MOS. I would have also included the John Williams score which is absolutely breath taking.

I believe that given how big of a deal Superman was back when it was made, how it transformed the way people looked at superhero movies, it still holds a tight grasp on what people expect from a superman movie.

I was not expecting this at all. I'm a big fan of Affleck so I hope he can pull it off.

If he has a similar performance as Ledger did as the joker, Ben could be the Batman for Years and multiple movies. This would be huge for his legacy.

DangerStepp

Right? Zack Snyder isn't going to magically stop being bad at film and Superman isn't going to magically become an interesting character. Slap some nips on the suits and Schumacher the hell out of this flick - because it's hot garbage any way you cut it.
It's just so Aliens vs. Predator or Freddy vs. Jason to me.

It reeks of fan service schlock that has a lot to prove as far as being a decent film.

"Hey, that Avengers flick made a lot of dough. Let's greelight it, Batman meets Superman! Go go go go! Money is time and time is money, people!"

effzee

It was the voice

Affleck is taller than Bale, and BatBale won't be remembered for his believable fights

I wasn't talking about height. Affleck is known well enough and NOT as an action star that it makes him harder to take as Batman. At the time Bale took the role he was coming off some minor movies, had done action movies, and was relatively unknown to the mass audience while being an internal favorite.

And GAF opinions of BatBale do not match at all with real world response to Bale and Batman. Fans loved Bale as Batman and he is one of the reasons they went to see the movie, especially after Batman Begins. Simply ask who would people be more excited to see? Bale continue as Batman or Affleck?

All superhero casting is subject to intense scrutiny. But by and large the casting for Nolan's Batman movies was perfect. Perfect Gordon, Alfred, Bruce, Batman, Joker, Ras, Bane, and all the other characters major or minor.

And lol @ rarely reached Marvel levels. The last three Batman movies have surpassed most if not all Marvel achievements. I don't want to turn into a btich fest about DC vs Marvel, but outside of the Avengers and Iron Man which movies have even come close critically and or commercially to Batman? Avengers is the new bar yes but I would argue only in terms of the money it earned and not necessarily for its quality.

effzee

How's the suicide watch going?

Hopefully as it has happened many times in the past, GAF and internet's over reaction and negativity will turn into a crow eating moment if the project turns out good.

I mean people don't bring it up now but how down was everyone on Whedon and the Avengers pre release? And for all the hate on MoS, its pretty much on par with the mass majority of comic book movie releases. Nothing great but not the absolute garbage people like to claim it is.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I agree with the Ledger-comparers that he will be better than we think.

But probably not by much. It's going to be a big dumb Snyder-fest. Affleck will be in a tux saying some Bruce Wayney things, in between loud scenes of destruction where Supes and Bats fight it out, then team up at the end. Affleck's big jaw will be sticking out of the cowl.

Not expecting more than the sum of the parts... Just the parts.

Parch

It reeks of fan service schlock that has a lot to prove as far as being a decent film.

"Hey, that Avengers flick made a lot of dough. Let's greelight it, Batman meets Superman! Go go go go! Money is time and time is money, people!"
It is based on the comics. They're not just coming up with a new idea. Batman & Superman was a long running comic title. Pretty good too.

I do agree they're looking at Marvel's Avenger movie and seeing the dollar signs, but Batman, Superman, and Justice League do have a history in comics so it's not unprecedented.

This is so freaking sad...
Some of the comments are glorious
Willem Van Helter SHIREBURY, UNITED KINGDOM 2 minutes ago Like 0
I want the portrayal of Batman to be true to the comics. Ben Affleck is about as sinister as a kitten.
chris wicklund HOUSTON, TX 2 minutes ago Like 0
this guy's a flaming liberal. batman is not a flaming liberal.
kenson noel BROOKLYN, NY 5 minutes ago Like 0
Because I like comic book movies and this will destroy the entire industry.

royalan

But probably not by much. It's going to be a big dumb Snyder-fest. Affleck will be in a tux saying some Bruce Wayney things, in between loud scenes of destruction where Supes and Bats fight it out, then team up at the end. Affleck's big jaw will be sticking out of the cowl.

The Ledger comparisons just don't make sense.

Why do people act like Ledger was some unproven actor? Did people just forget that he gave what was largely considered the best male performance of the year just a few years earlier in Brokeback Mountain and was nominated for an academy award for Best Actor? Heath may not have ever played a role like Joker previously, but he'd already established himself as a powerhouse actor who could handle complex roles. He wasn't some newbie. Give the man some respect.

Affleck has not demonstrated even half of Heath's ability as an actor in his entire career. The comparison makes no sense on any level.

The Hermit

I was never a fan o Bale, he was just "passable". The tone and the villains are what made this series great.

I don't know about Ben. If Nolan was still directing it could be his mother and I would be ok.
But Ben Affleck is no longer "Daredevil", I loved his role in Argo.

I have very little expectations, basically because its a Superman movie.

Blader

I'm not that worried about the performance personally. Snyder has no idea how to direct actors so Affleck will have to direct himself - which, if The Town and Argo are anything to go by, could turn out fine.

Now that the news has settled a bit for me, I'm somewhat indifferent on the whole matter.

On one hand, he did work on Gigli & Daredevil but on the other hand, he's done work The Town & Argo. He's come a long way since then so at this point, I don't really mind seeing what he can do as Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom