• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.
0e3.png

Reg

Banned
I'm just glad they finally picked an actor who's believable physically as Batman. Everyone else has been too short (Keaton, Clooney) and/or scrawny (Bale). Kilmer was probably the closest but that movie had far bigger problems. And there's no doubt that Affleck will get ripped for this.

His acting will be fine and his voice can only be an improvement over the tortured growl of Bale. I'm all for it.

Bale wasn't scrawny, dude.

I'm not saying this situation is similar but since it's been mentioned in this thread, it's fun to look back on things.

The heath ledger comparison is sort of silly..

Heath Ledger for one, wasn't a huge name at the time so naturally people hated and the big issue was that he had certainly not proven himself capable of handling such an iconic character such as the Joker. (especially one so well played by Nicholson, which many thought impossible to top by a lesser actor like Ledger)

That being said, my problem isn't so much that Affleck is a bad choice... I think he is good. My problem is that this batman is supposedly going to spin off into his own batman solo franchise (not including justice leagues) Unless the goal is to have him play Bruce Wayne while someone else tackles Terry McGinnis in a Beyond storyline, I question affleck's longevity in the role, and of course, is WB willing to make him the next Robert Downey Jr. when it comes to Salary.

Vice

obviously he hasn't or else there wouldn't be such a backlash everywhere online

The Internet often houses much more extreme views than the movie going public at large.Affleck has had a string of successful, financially and critically, movies in the last 7 or so years.

Effect

I don't get this upcoming movie....is it a Superman movie with a Batman cameo? Is it Superman vs Batman? Is it a remake of Dark Knight Returns? The whole thing just reeks of "we want dat avengers $"

It's Man of Steel 2 but the story is Superman vs Batman following the events of the first film.

I'd want it to happen just to see the reaction.

People already started a removal petition over this, can't even begin to imagine the ourage if this were to happen.

It's truly hilarious seeing how all this develops, even the people expecting nothing but mediocrity out of this project are jumping into the steaming rage brigade.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Levitt over Affleck? lol no.

Affleck is an excellent director, and sub par actor.

Levitt is a much, much better actor. While I personally didn't want him playing Batman, I'd choose acting quality over, "the chin" any day.

Even so, I remember being just as incredulous when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker, and I had a nice plate of crow to eat as a result. I'm willing to give Ben the benefit of the doubt (no pun intended).

Also, I'm pretty sure Warner Bros already knew they had Affleck on board back when Superman/Batman was announced, but they also knew what the reaction would be, and smartly decided to save it for later. At the end of the day, people will bitch and moan, but they will be in line day one to see it, because it's Batman and Superman, together for the first time on film.

MisterHero

It would be nice to see his test reading with Cavill. If one exists at all.

I can't wait 2 years. Well, I can, but it's so booooorinnnng

Shaanyboi

Banned
A 13 picture deal for Affleck? Yeah right.

Plenty of those could very well be cameos. For example, Man of Steel 3, Superman heads to the batcave to ask Batman to look at something he's found. In Aquaman, Bruce Wayne is seen giving an interview about how Wayne Enterprises trying to improve safety standards at underwater oil drilling sites. That kind of thing...

Half this article sounds like bullshit, but I could see why they would make a move like that.

- J - D -

I think ultimately it'll all come down to how he looks in the batsuit. I feel that a lot of fan rage will be assuaged if the suit looks good and Ben looks good in it.

Nerds put a lot of stock into the aesthetics of the batsuit.

I remember the very first look at Bale as Batman from a 2004 issue of ET:

Wa4vdOJ.jpg

And I also remember when everybody freaked out when the TDK "cyber-ninja robocop" suit was revealed:
high-resolution-bat-suit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom