• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best. Album. Ever. (VOTE NOW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

f86637hbo58.jpg

Nameless

B00000DHSE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Perfect production, tons of variety, not a single non-great song on the entire album. 13 years later I STILL listen to it all the way through regularly.

gigapower said:
Klaxon is the closest, but I go with:

I could have nominated Substance, but I don't like best of-albums.

BTW: THIS THREAD IS BIASED, FAKE, WRONG AND EVERYTHING ELSE BECAUSE I STILL CAN'T SEE JOY DIVISION IN THE OP'S POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fart

Savant
i don't know the name of that album based on the album cover because i'm not a trenchcoated goth faggot who wishes he could exhume ian curtis's remains to suck on the dick bone

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
fart said:
i don't know the name of that album based on the album cover because i'm not a trenchcoated goth faggot who wishes he could exhume ian curtis's remains to suck on the dick bone
Who will keep up this thread when fart is banned?

soakrates

EviLore said:
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth
WHOAguitarninja said:
Band: Pain of Salvation
Album: Remedy Lane
akachan ningen said:
Angra - Holy Land
Jumpman Jr. said:
The KLF - Chill Out
All wonderful choices, but this one takes it for me:

51PVG5KFCVL._SS500_.jpg

Devin Townsend - "Terria"

The entire human experience in one epic, breathtaking metal album. The densely layered arrangements and massive production lend it an emotional sweep akin to a film score, and it has a stream-of-consciousness lyrical flow all its own. A classic Devin record, and one of the best examples of why he's a living legend at a relatively young 35. This is probably tied with his Ocean Machine album as my all time favorite, but I'll go ahead and give the edge to Terria because "Earth Day" has been running through my head lately.

It's not often I recommend metal albums to people who aren't interested in getting into metal, but I'll definitely make an exception in this case.

relaxor

what?
BE-AGW.jpg

This is my top vote for the moment, though Pet Sounds would be my other choice. If Smile had come out in 1967 it would be my choice, but alas, I can't call 2004 Smile my choice. Shame, though it's still a great achievement for Brian.

but Melancholy is just a bad self parody of the creativity and energy of their earlier albums.

Preach it. PREACH IT!

A seriously pretentious concept album gone seriously wrong.

It annoys me that 1979 is on that album, cos it's a great song.

It's a crazy kinda thread, but if it wasn't Achtung Baby for me, it would be:-

B000000JOM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

swervedrivermezcalhead3359676j.jpg

61.jpg

waaaaaaa not work safe.

BigJonsson said:
I vote for Smashing Pumpkin - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

I'd love to agree, but it is bloated and overproduced. It really should have been one disc. This prevents the album from being great. I'm in a small minority, but I still think that Adore is their best album. It is definitely their most mature and it hasn't aged a bit.

My vote would have to go to The Downward Spiral by NIN. It sounded futuristic when it first came out and it still sounds futuristic now. Closer, Mr. Self Destruct, A Warm Place, March of the Pigs, Heresy, Ruiner, etc. are songs I can listen to over and over. It has some of the best layering, if not the best, that I've ever heard. Incredibly abrasive and textured at the same time. The album isn't perfect, but it's something that I listen to on a regular basis and it's my personal favorite. Kid A is a very close second.

My vote would have to go to The Downward Spiral by NIN.

I'd have to say that The Fragile is a better album, but then The Fragile has been accused of being NIN's Mellon Collie :lol

The Fragile may not be the best album ever, but it's the best double album, and the best concept album as far as I'm concerned.

:D

deepbrown

It's a hard choice but I vote for David Bowie's Low...Ziggy Stardust is overrated.

B00001OH7W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

BTW the UK voted for Radioheads' OK Computer. Well deserved IMO.
Radiohead_-Ok_Computer_(1997).jpg

deepbrown

relaxor said:
BE-AGW.jpg

This is my top vote for the moment, though Pet Sounds would be my other choice. If Smile had come out in 1967 it would be my choice, but alas, I can't call 2004 Smile my choice. Shame, though it's still a great achievement for Brian.

Great vote...amazing album.

gollumsluvslave said:
I'd have to say that The Fragile is a better album, but then The Fragile has been accused of being NIN's Mellon Collie :lol

The Fragile may not be the best album ever, but it's the best double album, and the best concept album as far as I'm concerned.

:D

To me, The Fragile comes off as very showy and self-important. Originally, the album was going to be divided up into two parts. One disc was going to be all instrumentals and the other was going to be all songs. This would have helped, but it still would have had the same exact problems as Mellon Collie. Here's the thing: Reznor should never sing-song/rap. Ever. Give me the dark, drug fueled, rage-filled Reznor any day.

Maybe not my favorite album, but it's really chill and grows on you. Making it my choice solely so people who have missed out on it might give it a chance.

they-might-be-giants-the-sp.jpg

ckohler

Cheesemeister said:
dsotm.jpg

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
There is no dark side of the Moon, really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.

+1

I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, over the edge for yonks...

White Man

If people are going to nominate stuff like Pink Floyd, I also get to nominate overrated stuff, but AWESOME overrated stuff like

1419231.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom