• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Am I the only one that didn't think Jimmy was a complete monster that episode? It's not like Irene won't make her friends back, it was petty "high school" drama, she'll patch things back up. HHM were waiting to get a more money, while many of the elderly would have received only a smidgen more (and that's if they were still living at that point) . Irene was being taken advantage of HHM, what Jimmy did, even if it was motivated by self interest, will still result in a lot more good than bad.

Yeah, Jimmy hasn't gone full Saul yet. True, he's an asshole and a borderline con but he hasn't gone into deeper waters yet. I think Mike (who's jumped in with both feet) will be the one who nudges him there.

DoubleYou

Anyone thinks we're going to see this guy >
latest
< again? Imagine Kim ending up needing him in the end or something lol.

This was my least favorite season so far, (I didn't really care for the Mike/Gus Story at all, since Nacho is pretty much the only variable, while Saul's side of things has more characters who's fate is completly unknown.) and even Saul's story kinda stagnated I felt, but come on, we have to get at least one more season, because I really can't imagine we'd be getting a satisfying finale to the entire show next week.

dani_dc

Am I the only one that didn't think Jimmy was a complete monster that episode? It's not like Irene won't make her friends back, it was petty "high school" drama, she'll patch things back up. HHM were waiting to get a more money, while many of the elderly would have received only a smidgen more (and that's if they were still living at that point) . Irene was being taken advantage of HHM, what Jimmy did, even if it was motivated by self interest, will still result in a lot more good than bad.

Let's not paint him as a good Samaritan, his primary motivation was is own payday, the fact that it happens to be a better result for the old ladies is a nice coincidence.

More so to the point, his actions are deplorable, causing emotional distress to someone is an awful thing (and there's no guarantee that things will be patched up), even if it happened to benefit other people.

Anyone thinks we're going to see this guy >
latest
< again? Imagine Kim ending up needing him in the end or something lol.

We might, and i hope so too because Robert Forster is gteat. But remember that Saul was surprised that he actually had a vacuum store, so I don't think he met him before that.

kevin1025

Banned
Why has this not been renewed yet? Is AMC trying to make the budget smaller like with all their other shows?

I'm guessing now that they're getting into season four and beyond territory, they might try and lock everyone down for the remainder of the series. If that's the case, it might take a little longer and then we might get a season 4 and 5 renewal and an announcement that five will be the last season.

Yeah, Jimmy hasn't gone full Saul yet. True, he's an asshole and a borderline con but he hasn't gone into deeper waters yet. I think either Mike (who's jumped in with both feet) will be the one who nudges him there.

This. I believe the AMC's BCS social media account said it perfectly that now the difference between Jimmy and Saul at this point as become clouded. Jimmy is on the bridge transitioning into the Saul we know, love, and/or despise.

I heard/read that atleast in USA the viewerratings are quite dissapointing?
Taken from a Reddit Post:

Fear the Walking Dead (AMC) &#8212; 4.6 million
Better Call Saul (AMC) &#8212; 4.2 million
Good Witch (Hallmark) &#8212; 2.9 million
Into the Badlands (AMC) &#8212; 2.7 million
Fargo (FX) &#8212; 2.6 million
The Son (AMC) &#8212; 2.1 million
Genius (National Geographic) &#8212; 2 million
The Americans (FX) &#8212; 1.9 million
Pretty Little Liars (Freeform) &#8212; 1.8 million
Silicon Valley (HBO) &#8212; 1.5 million
American Gods (Starz)&#8211; 1.4 million
Doctor Who (BBC America) &#8212; 1.3 million
The White Princess (Starz) &#8212; 1.29 million
Veep (HBO) &#8212; 1.25 million
Archer (FX) &#8212; 847,000

Yes the ratings are down but it still is "performing well." I believe that Sony is smart enough to not just go on ratings alone and also know that Saul is a prestige show that will be nominated for awards. Hell, the last season of Breaking Bad, AMC did not want to fund it but Sony showed up and said, whatever you want Vince, it is yours.

edit: Sorry for the double post

Regarding people's concerns about the show getting renewed, note that the show is performing in just about all the ways that it can. I'm not worried at all about the show getting canceled. Presumably the contract negotiations are ongoing (if not completed already), and I imagine we'll hear about a renewal before the finale next week.

The ratings are...fine. They've been declining, as has just about everything across the board on television these days, but they're still towards the top end of the AMC shows aside from the zombie properties. Note that AMC renewed The Son and Halt & Catch Fire, both of which get a small fraction of what BCS does. I don't think AMC is ecstatic about the ratings and their decline, but they aren't at a concerning level. BCS also gets a huge time-shifting boost every week since the majority of the audience watches it on delay via their DVR. Merely comparing the live numbers to previous seasons and other shows isn't sufficient to create a portrait of where the show is (i.e. the L7 numbers are a more relevant metric)

In addition to the ratings, BCS does very well in other ways. It receives awards nominations. It's critically lauded. The audience that follows the show is very devoted to it. The show isn't exorbitantly expensive. Overall, I see no reason why AMC wouldn't renew the show, so stop stressing about it. :p I'd be very surprised if they didn't make an announcement before the finale or during the after show.

Fear the Walking Dead (AMC) — 4.6 million
Better Call Saul (AMC) — 4.2 million
Good Witch (Hallmark) — 2.9 million
Into the Badlands (AMC) — 2.7 million
Fargo (FX) — 2.6 million
The Son (AMC) — 2.1 million
Genius (National Geographic) — 2 million
The Americans (FX) — 1.9 million
Pretty Little Liars (Freeform) — 1.8 million
Silicon Valley (HBO) — 1.5 million
American Gods (Starz)– 1.4 million
Doctor Who (BBC America) — 1.3 million
The White Princess (Starz) — 1.29 million
Veep (HBO) — 1.25 million
Archer (FX) — 847,000

Yes the ratings are down but it still is "performing well." I believe that Sony is smart enough to not just go on ratings alone and also know that Saul is a prestige show that will be nominated for awards. Hell, the last season of Breaking Bad, AMC did not want to fund it but Sony showed up and said, whatever you want Vince, it is yours.

Note that these are the most recent L+7 numbers (first run viewership plus reruns and DVR from the following week) as of June 13th, and they're sourced from here.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This. I believe the AMC's BCS social media account said it perfectly that now the difference between Jimmy and Saul at this point as become clouded. Jimmy is on the bridge transitioning into the Saul we know, love, and/or despise.
Yep, and that's the way any self-respecting story should do it. The notion that there should be a single clear-cut defining moment that turns a character into a monster is cheap, and I'm glad the writers seem to agree by steering away from that both in BB and in BCS.

What Jimmy did in that episode was horrific. Irene isn't a teenager and tomorrow isn't guaranteed for her. People at that age deal with loneliness and he tugged at that.

dLMN8R

I feel like a bad TV watcher but despite paying close attention the entire season I didn't quite grasp what that phone call with Salemanca and others sitting / standing around was about.

I get that in the end Nacho's dad's shop was going to be used to transport drugs, but was kinda confused about the specifics of that earlier phone call.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I feel like a bad TV watcher but despite paying close attention the entire season I didn't quite grasp what that phone call with Salemanca and others sitting / standing around was about.

I get that in the end Nacho's dad's shop was going to be used to transport drugs, but was kinda confused about the specifics of that earlier phone call.
They completely switched from using his smuggling trucks to using Gus', which is not only a hit to his pride but to his wallet.

The call was instructing them to make the temporary arrangement of using Gus' transportation into a permanent arrangement. This went against Tio's desire to eventually re-establish his own transportation system by way of nachos dad's shop.

So now that we see that they are going to continue through with using nachos dad's shop, I'm interested to see the repercussions for Tio since he's disregarding an order from Don Eladio.

Permanently A

This is the first episode that I couldn't deal with Jimmy's actions. The first time I really felt that what he was doing was disgusting and inexcusable. It's a shame that it has to be this way.

Daffy Duck

One things for sure, and that is Bob Odenkirk is an amazing actor and really sells Jimmy and Saul and the transition from one to the other.

He is magical.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Regarding people's concerns about the show getting renewed, note that the show is performing in just about all the ways that it can. I'm not worried at all about the show getting canceled. Presumably the contract negotiations are ongoing (if not completed already), and I imagine we'll hear about a renewal before the finale next week.

The ratings are...fine. They've been declining, as has just about everything across the board on television these days, but they're still towards the top end of the AMC shows aside from the zombie properties. Note that AMC renewed The Son and Halt & Catch Fire, both of which get a small fraction of what BCS does. I don't think AMC is ecstatic about the ratings and their decline, but they aren't at a concerning level. BCS also gets a huge time-shifting boost every week since the majority of the audience watches it on delay via their DVR. Merely comparing the live numbers to previous seasons and other shows isn't sufficient to create a portrait of where the show is (i.e. the L7 numbers are a more relevant metric)

In addition to the ratings, BCS does very well in other ways. It receives awards nominations. It's critically lauded. The audience that follows the show is very devoted to it. The show isn't exorbitantly expensive. Overall, I see no reason why AMC wouldn't renew the show, so stop stressing about it. :p I'd be very surprised if they didn't make an announcement before the finale or during the after show.

This minstrel music soothed my jangled nerves. Thank you.

Fargo (FX) — 2.6 million
Archer (FX) — 847,000

Fear the walking dead that high? Has it gotten better or something...I haven't watched the new season but the previous ones were pretty meh.

If Kim died, I don't think Jimmy could become Saul and go on being happy at all.

There's no way Francesca would still work for him after that either.

Kim will walk away.

I think the real question is, what is Jimmy going to do to make Kim walk away? I think he will befriend her in a way that only Saul Goodman can do.

Chase17

Kim :(

Hamlin has seemed pretty loyal to Chuck so I'm surprised that Chuck went straight to attack mode (ok not that surprised). It is possible Hamlin leaned more towards the business when dealing with Chuck but to be fair at some point enough is enough, and it maybe should have been sooner.

Howard putting the money right in Jimmy's face was amazing.

Socreges

Banned

Fargo (FX) — 2.6 million
Archer (FX) — 847,000

Note that these are the most recent L+7 numbers (first run viewership plus reruns and DVR from the following week) as of June 13th, and they're sourced from here.
Shame the ratings are declining season to season but relatively speaking the show is doing well. No doubt it'll get renewed.

One things for sure, and that is Bob Odenkirk is an amazing actor and really sells Jimmy and Saul and the transition from one to the other.

He is magical.
Wonderful character actor. Always has been. He's a bit too emotive for me, but I guess it's hard to walk the line between communicating emotions and subtlety.

Roi

It takes an entire year for a season to reach Netflix, the UK being an exception. I'm sure those numbers are specific to AMC. Netflix numbers don't mean as much to AMC.

Uhm the rest of the world is watching this show on Netflix the same day it is released!

riotous

Banned
It takes an entire year for a season to reach Netflix, the UK being an exception. I'm sure those numbers are specific to AMC. Netflix numbers don't mean as much to AMC.

AMC licenses the show to Netflix across the world, and yeah in the US with the year delay.

Netflix "ratings" matter because those numbers are used to negotiate the next season's licensing deal.

Top Bottom