• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Been playing this for a while now, and I'm totally immersed in the story so far. I have some problems with the combat; mainly getting the timing right to counter moves. I think I'll get the hang of it eventually, but so far the game is really nice.

PureGone

Banned
Been playing this for a while now, and I'm totally immersed in the story so far. I have some problems with the combat; mainly getting the timing right to counter moves. I think I'll get the hang of it eventually, but so far the game is really nice.

I have the same problem, there's always easy mode if doesn't click

PureGone

Banned
For some reason you only get trophies once you go to the main menu, its a really good idea imo. Keeps trophies from distracting from the game

For some reason you only get trophies once you go to the main menu, its a really good idea imo. Keeps trophies from distracting from the game

That's pretty neat, I wish more games did things like that, especially story-driven games. I remember Heavy Rain did something similar, but they popped up in the loading screens (if I'm not mistaken).

The recent PS FW update will allow you to disable trophy notifications. So any game that relies on immersion be forced to decide when the trophy pop-ups will appear.

All I want to know is how is Willem Dafoe so far?

He's good, but he's had a pretty subdued role so far.

It's very simple. You have a lot of time to watch her movement, don't be hectic and press a direction immediately, you will be punished most of the time. You have like 3 seconds each time. And there are some general rules that make it very easy to figure out the right direction:

-There are only 4 possible directions. Up, down, right, left

-It's only up when the camera is behind Jodie and she attempts to hit/block somebody in front of her (only during combat, outside of combat you sometimes have to press up to jump over stuff for example, but it's really easy to figure out since jumping is always up and dodge is always down)

-It's only down when her arms/hands are going down to hit/block or if she attempts to duck. If you are not sure, don't press anything and watch her movement a little bit longer. It always becomes quickly apparent if she is doing a downwards move or not

-In ALL other cases it is either left or right (mostly indicated by the camera being sideways from Jodie). You always press into the direction of Jodie's opponent, never away from them. Just follow along her foot/arm movement and you are fine. Left/right is used the most, so going with left/right in case you are not sure is most of the time correct

Thanks. Does anyone know if there are entirely different playthroughs(as in I wouldn't be seeing certain levels if I chose a different action or did something successfully or unsuccessfuly(for example
when Tuesday was having the baby and the warehouse caught fire, could I have successfully made it out without the guy coming to rescue me, causing me to go to the hospital?

I repost this in case you missed it:

It's very simple. You have a lot of time to watch her movement, don't be hectic and press a direction immediately, you will be punished most of the time. You have like 3 seconds each time. And there are some general rules that make it very easy to figure out the right direction:

-There are only 4 possible directions. Up, down, right, left

-It's only up when the camera is behind Jodie and she attempts to hit/block somebody in front of her (only during combat, outside of combat you sometimes have to press up to jump over stuff for example, but it's really easy to figure out since jumping is always up and dodge is always down)

-It's only down when her arms/hands are going down to hit/block or if she attempts to duck. If you are not sure, don't press anything and watch her movement a little bit longer. It always becomes quickly apparent if she is doing a downwards move or not

-In ALL other cases it is either left or right (mostly indicated by the camera being sideways from Jodie). You always press into the direction of Jodie's opponent, never away from them. Just follow along her foot/arm movement and you are fine. Left/right is used the most, so going with left/right in case you are not sure is most of the time correct

DukeBobby

I'm going to be really mad if the game gets points taken off for the difficult fight scenes, they are a little hard because my reaction time sucks but points shouldn't be taken off for that because there's a easy mode and an even easier iphone mode for people that find it too difficult.

Also for all the people judging the game by the demo scene. Every scene in this is feels different and unique, if you didn't like the demo one, there's a pretty good chance you will like some of the others. With that said I have a feeling the word "inconsistent" will be thrown around a lot come review day.

I'm expecting inconsistency. Heavy Rain had some amazing scenes (
the 5 trials
), but also some pretty terrible scenes (
taking care of the baby, flashback scenes
).

PureGone

Banned
Trophies also load during loading times like Heavy Rain did, if you quite game before you hit the loading screen the trophies will load in the main menu.

LQX

I recently did a trade in at Amazon and a promo they are running which gave me $20 off. I plan on renting it so this might go to waste so checking to see if a fellow Gaffer might want to save some dollars. Disregard tag, I'm in the US. Total comes to about $45. Says day of release but it might arrive a few days after. PM if interested, and after payment or even a Amazon gift card to cover the amount I will change over the shipping address.

Kolma

I recently did a trade in at Amazon and a promo they are running which gave me $20 off. I plan on renting it so this might go to waste so checking to see if a fellow Gaffer might want to save some dollars. Disregard tag, I'm in the US. Total comes to about $45. Says day of release but it might arrive a few days after. PM if interested, and after payment or even a Amazon gift card to cover the amount I will change over the shipping address.

Gamestop edition is too special (much as I hate buying stuff there)
Would have waited on buying the game otherwise

DukeBobby

Gamesmaster UK have apparently given this 60% in their review. No confirmation yet.

They gave Heavy Rain 91%, by the way.

Cheddahz

Banned
I played the demo last night and the aspect ratio really turned me off. I understand why they made the aspect ratio that way, but it is almost the end of the PS3's run and you would think developers that mainly work on Sony technology would know how to take advantage of the console by now. I won't be picking up the game at launch now, I'll probably get it sometime down the road instead

DukeBobby

So far, just a post on Gamefaqs (yes, I know, terrible source) and a post from somebody on their Facebook page saying that they were disappointed with their review.

Could be bullshit, could be true. We'll see soon enough.

Also, I don't see why somebody would lie about a review score, especially since they could be proved wrong by someone who had the magazine.

PureGone

Banned
I played the demo last night and the aspect ratio really turned me off. I understand why they made the aspect ratio that way, but it is almost the end of the PS3's run and you would think developers that mainly work on Sony technology would know how to take advantage of the console by now. I won't be picking up the game at launch now, I'll probably get it sometime down the road instead

Bothered me for 15 min and then i forgot it even existed, i really dont care as long as it makes the game look much better.

Jacob4815

I agree, this aspect ratio is a terrible choice.

PureGone

Banned
COMBO is an option lol

the picture is fake,

Also from what i have played theres no way this game is a 60, unless the game goes to complete shit in the end.

Gamefaqs is an iffy source, but let's be honest here, the game isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's going to get a lot of polarizing scores just like Cage's previous games.

Most of the reviews are going to be reviewing the games genre. They should just get someone who likes this genre to play instead of someone whos going to complain about how games like this are "killing the industry"

It really is. I know it sounds like a dumb reason to not buy a game at launch, but it really turned me off

I agree, this aspect ratio is a terrible choice.
Well, the alternative is sub-HD and the game looking like this (yes that's how it looked when it was still fullscreen):

rock_oldjuu55.png

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Most of the reviews are going to be reviewing the games genre. They should just get someone who likes this genre to play instead of someone whos going to complain about how games like this are "killing the industry"
I think the Heavy Rain reviews were a bit on the positive side so we can probably expect majority of outlets to review Beyond based on its merits as a game rather than the 'interactive drama' genre it belongs to.

Skeff

Gamesmaster UK have apparently given this 60% in their review. No confirmation yet.

Would be ridiculous to be 31% less than Heavy rain, far superior game.

Also the toilet doesn't give you those options.

Funny, but quite obviously a fake. Excellent graphics though.

Well, that's shit. What to do now? I could order the game right now (no SE though) and have it here on Monday before the reviews drop. Or wait for my SE to arrive a full week later. Damn, tough choice.

Mman235

Can you briefly summarise what they said?

Story issues? Gameplay issues?

A very basic summary of what they say is that the story is too jumpy to get invested in, the script and characters are mostly poor (outside of Jodie), some situations are unbelievable (even for a game partially about a psychic ghost), and interactivity is limited. On the positive side they say the best moments are when Jodie is younger (rather than the action-based parts when she's older), and that the technology behind it is strong.

I don't know how right that will be, but that's the general gist of what they say.

PureGone

Banned
A very basic summary of what they say is that the story is too jumpy to get invested in, the script and characters are mostly poor (outside of Jodie), some situations are unbelievable (even for a game partially about a psychic ghost), and interactivity is limited. On the positive side they say the best moments are when Jodie is younger (rather than the action-based parts when she's older), and that the technology behind it is strong.

I don't know how right that will be, but that's the general gist of what they say.

Sounds like they only played the first half of the game...

DukeBobby

The limited interactivity doesn't bother me (however, judging from the demo, you have more control than you ever did in Heavy Rain) but some of the other points are rather concerning, especially the poor writing and characterisation.

Oh well, I still look forward to seeing for myself next week.

Game reviews are in a totally different space then they were when Heavy Rain came out. Reviewers feel like they have a voice now and are important so will judge things much more harshly and some times pick and choose when to do so.

If Heavy Rain came out today it would be given far lower scores than it did when it originally came out. I truly believe that. Which makes it hard to take reviews at face value.

StuBurns

Banned
I just tried the demo and I really liked it, so empowering. I have some serious issues with Heavy Rain, and until now, this looked much worse to me, but I'll pick it up next week, looking forward to it.

PureGone

Banned
Game reviews are in a totally different space then they were when Heavy Rain came out. Reviewers feel like they have a voice now and are important so will judge things much more harshly and some times pick and choose when to do so.

If Heavy Rain came out today it would be given far lower scores than it did when it originally came out. I truly believe that. Which makes it hard to take reviews at face value.

I disagree with that, if heavy rain came out now it would do just as well as it did before. The david cage and interactive drama hate started after heavy rain came out. And i honestly believe thats the reason Beyond: 2 Souls wont do well.

I disagree with that, if heavy rain came out now it would do just as well as it did before. The david cage and interactive drama hate started after heavy rain came out. And i honestly believe thats the reason Beyond: 2 Souls wont do well.

Could be right. So are you saying Beyond Two Souls would get a better reception if Heavy Rain never existed?

I just tried the demo and I really liked it, so empowering. I have some serious issues with Heavy Rain, and until now, this looked much worse to me, but I'll pick it up next week, looking forward to it.
Pretty much echoes my sentiments as well.

I wasn't at all interested until I tried the demo. Now I'm actually excited to play it.

Also from what i have played theres no way this game is a 60, unless the game goes to complete shit in the end.
Can you try to beat it today and see if the ending is the culprit?

The limited interactivity doesn't bother me (however, judging from the demo, you have more control than you ever did in Heavy Rain) but some of the other points are rather concerning, especially the poor writing and characterisation.

Oh well, I still look forward to seeing for myself next week.
Well, I honestly disagree already about the part with the characters. Unless the demo features the best scenes of the game, the characters are far away from being terrible.

Elios83

Can you try to beat it today and see if the ending is the culprit?

There hasn't to be a culprit.
Not everyone is going to like games like Beyond.
It depends on the personal tastes of who is doing the review.

Also the comment about the limited interactivity seems out of place considering that even the demo has a lot of interactivity and replay value.

There hasn't to be a culprit.
Not everyone is going to like games like Beyond.
It depends on the personal tastes of who is doing the review.
Well, yeah. But you should be able to tell as a reviewer if a story is good, decent or badly written. At least on a fundamental level.

Could be right. So are you saying Beyond Two Souls would get a better reception if Heavy Rain never existed?
100%. Beyond would get bonus points for being "unique".

Carl

So they marked it down for the genre it's in? Makes sense.

Top Bottom