• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

DukeBobby

Well, I honestly disagree already about the part with the characters. Unless the demo features the best scenes of the game, the characters are far away from being terrible.

That's true. They may not be The Last of Us quality, but there is no way they can be as bad as the characters in the new Tomb Raider, for example.

Also, it seems that David Cage has finally created a good female protagonist. I thought Madison was poor, but Carla was pretty good until she became a necrophiliac.

PureGone

Banned
Could be right. So are you saying Beyond Two Souls would get a better reception if Heavy Rain never existed?

Yeah, or if the internet didn't have the massive david cage hate thing and interactive drama games are a joke moment.

Can you try to beat it today and see if the ending is the culprit?

Well, I honestly disagree already about the part with the characters. Unless the demo features the best scenes of the game, the characters are far away from being terrible.

I have been playing all day , should be done soon

So they marked it down for the genre it's in? Makes sense.
I also expect many reviewers to rate it down, because it is too similar to Heavy Rain. Even though that doesn't make any sense, considering the genre. For some reason shooters and platformers can stay mostly the same, but these games always have to innovate a lot each time or they are just "the same".

Also many reviews are going to read like they are reviewing and rating David Cage, instead of Beyond.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm still really early in the game so I don't think I'll be able to finish it before 7th. The game can really mentally exhaust you in some places so I don't really wanna rush through it. The first playthrough is vital.

Elios83

Well, yeah. But you should be able to tell as a reviewer if a story is good, decent or badly written. At least on a fundamental level.

That's really subjective as well.
The point is that there are a few people who genuinely think that adventure games like Beyond have no point to exist and are shitty.
A few of these people will definetly happen to make reviews for it, so be prepared and deal with it.
I can't comment on this particular review but the point about limited interactivity sounds really weird considering that the demo offers tons of ways to interact and let the story develop. I mean based on the demo it seems like interactivity is one of its strengths.....
I'm sure that the game overall will get great scores ;) I have two friends who are currently playing review copies and both said it's an amazing experience.

That's true. They may not be The Last of Us quality, but there is no way they can be as bad as the characters in the new Tomb Raider, for example.

Also, it seems that David Cage has finally created a good female protagonist. I thought Madison was poor, but Carla was pretty good until she became a necrophiliac.
Yeah, I think Jodie is going to be enjoyable to play.

I'm still really early in the game so I don't think I'll be able to finish it before 7th. The game can really mentally exhaust you in some places so I don't really wanna rush through it. The first playthrough is vital.
Sorry. I don't want to force anything. Take all the time you need. I try to not let reviews get to me, but it is inevitable some times :(

Hmm.. Didn't enjoy that demo to be honest.

Seems Cage just can't get his games to play well. Good ideas and stories maybe but just not much fun to play.

After heavy rain I was hoping for something that played better. At the moment this feels worse.

Definite no buy for now.

That's really subjective as well.
The point is that there are a few people who genuinely think that adventure games like Beyond have no point to exist and are shitty.
A few of these people will definetly happen to make reviews for it, so be prepared and deal with it.
I can't comment on this particular review but the point about limited interactivity sounds really weird considering that the demo offers tons of ways to interact and let the story develop. I mean based on the demo it seems like interactivity is one of its strengths.....
I'm sure that the game overall will get great scores ;) I have two friends who are currently playing review copies and both said it's an amazing experience.
Yeah, I just think people who hate the genre shouldn't be allowed to review the game to begin with. It's just stupid. But it probably happens anyway. I'm pretty sure that in this instance it is likely not the same reviewer that reviewed Heavy Rain, so maybe it is really just his taste.

I have been playing all day , should be done soon
Thanks.

DukeBobby

Sorry. I don't want to force anything. Take all the time you need. I try to not let reviews get to me, but it is inevitable some times :(

I stopped trusting reviews after the PS3 Skyrim fiasco. Only one reviewer mentioned the issues that game had. The others basically copy and pasted the 360 review.

Also, seeing a game like Assassin's Creed 3 with an 84 on Metacritic is simply depressing.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Willem Dafoe seems like he's playing a normal human being in this from what I've seen, and that actually sounds like a waste of his talents. I don't want to get spoiled since I'm playing this, but I wonder if there's more to his role than just straightforward father figure guy.

I stopped trusting reviews after the PS3 Skyrim fiasco. Only one reviewer mentioned the issues that game had. The others basically copy and pasted the 360 review.

Also, seeing a game like Assassin's Creed 3 with an 84 on Metacritic is simply depressing.
That's true. Also there are definitely people out there that loved the game, so it's probably alright. Maybe it is like if the first review for TLoU to see the light of the day would have been the Polygon review :D Although with a lot more uproar xD

Willem Dafoe seems like he's playing a normal human being in this from what I've seen, and that actually sounds like a waste of his talents. I don't want to get spoiled since I'm playing this, but I wonder if there's more to his role than just straightforward father figure guy.
I actually like him playing a more normal role for once. He always plays the insane characters. I'm sure there will be an emotional pay-off to his role, so I think he will have some time to display his acting talent.

DukeBobby

I think it's great to see him in a more subdued role for once, although I imagine there is more to him than meets the eye.

RPGCrazied

Loved the demo. But whats up with the permanent black bars? Will get after price drops just like I did Heavy Rain. Probably $30 or $20.

PureGone

Banned
A very basic summary of what they say is that the story is too jumpy to get invested in, the script and characters are mostly poor (outside of Jodie), some situations are unbelievable (even for a game partially about a psychic ghost), and interactivity is limited. On the positive side they say the best moments are when Jodie is younger (rather than the action-based parts when she's older), and that the technology behind it is strong.

I don't know how right that will be, but that's the general gist of what they say.

What did this magazine give GTAV?

Dont know about the story yet since i have beaten Beyond or GTA but the cast outside the main 3 in GTA were pretty bad and Beyond has a much much better cast.

epaturun

just played demo:

first time i was really bad with the QTE's and second time got the hang of them.

What I loved was how dramatically the script changed depending how I performed the QTE's

I found it very atmospheric, but I wish it wasn't all QTE's

I love to see what they do with the PS4 demo and if they turn that into something more 'Harry Potterish'

PureGone

Banned
I didn't even notice the screen ratio until people started whining about it.

I just dont understand how people can keep noticing for more than 10 mins, i forgot it existed after like the first chapter.

just played demo:

first time i was really bad with the QTE's and second time got the hang of them.

What I loved was how dramatically the script changed depending how I performed the QTE's

I found it very atmospheric, but I wish it wasn't all QTE's

I love to see what they do with the PS4 demo and if they turn that into something more 'Harry Potterish'

What chapter was the demo?

sarcoa

About eight hours in. Still under embargo but Beyond feels more like the follow-up to Indigo Prophesy than it does Heavy Rain. There's going to be a lot to talk about.

I think many reviewers also won't notice that the game even has multiple endings. They are too busy/lazy to replay it and when they don't talk to other people about their experience they might not even realize how many different options there are.

At least the way I understand it, the choices are pretty subdued in this game and not as apparent as they were in Heavy Rain, where you could just replay the last couple of scenes and get a whole new set of endings just by pressing X instead of O during a critical dialogue.

So maybe that's where the limited interactivity point is going to come from some reviewers, because they think their actions are not having any impact when they do.

About eight hours in. Still under embargo but Beyond feels more like the follow-up to Indigo Prophesy than it does Heavy Rain. There's going to be a lot to talk about.
I pray you are referring to the first half of Indigo Prophecy there.

What were the script changes? I only played those levels once.
Experiment: Scare the woman or don't scare her (or rather scare her less). Jodie looks different.

Hunted: Get arrested in the train, forest, on the motorbike or during the town battle or don't. Different sequences if you fail (e.g. escape from SWAT van) leading to the same result "leave me the fuck alone"

PureGone

Banned
I pray you are referring to the first half of Indigo Prophecy there.

Experiment: Scare the woman or don't scare her (or rather scare her less). Jodie looks different.

Hunted: Get arrested in the train, forest, on the motorbike or during the town battle or don't. Different sequences if you fail (e.g. escape from SWAT van) leading to the same result "leave me the fuck alone"

Does she look different in the hunted level as well or just the Experiment chapter?

Does she look different in the hunted level as well or just the Experiment chapter?
No it doesn't look like the Hunted scene is influenced by the first scene. Maybe it is in the final game, but definitely not in the demo. Keep in mind that she is like 20 years older during Hunted, so I doubt I would notice anyway. If you scare the woman too much Jodie gets nosebleed and cries, if you don't, she don't. That's pretty much it. Although when you get hurt during Hunted, Jodie does limb for the entire chapter and her wounds are different depending on how you do. I don't know if that carries over to the rest of the game or not.

PureGone

Banned
No it doesn't look like the Hunted scene is influenced by the first scene. Maybe it is in the final game, but definitely not in the demo. Keep in mind that she is like 20 years older during Hunted, so I doubt I would notice anyway. If you scare the woman too much Jodie gets nosebleed and cries, if you don't, she don't. That's pretty much it. Although when you get hurt during Hunted, Jodie does limb for the entire chapter and her wounds are different depending on how you do. I don't know if that carries over to the rest of the game or not.

Interesting, looks like ill have to play the game twice to see all the different outcomes.

Can't wait for the necrophilia, Illuminati, and granny AI.
Well, we know for sure that we are going to find out what happens
after we die. Whatever that might be according to Cage. It does sound scarily similar to Indigo Prophecy in some ways (resurrection anybody?). I hope David's fantasy didn't go wild there again and he keeps it classy. I'm alright with some sci-fi, but please no Mayas :/

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I really enjoyed Heavy Rain (and the first half of Indigo Prophecy :p) but for some reason I wasn't into the pre-release media for Beyond at all... Tried out the demo yesterday and I'm sold! Immediately pre-ordered the game based on how much I enjoyed it. So damn intense and you want to see what happens next, just like with HR.

Quantic Dream are pulling some insane graphics out of the PS3 (I did the ol' "wait, this isn't a cutscene anymore?" double take a bunch of times, I blame the scope aspect ratio, haha) and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Page and Dafoe's performances.

It's released on the 11th over here, how are you guys getting it so early?

I really like it, I just hope it stays the right side of hammy, and I can't decide if I actually want to buy it or not.

I didn't even notice the screen ratio until people started whining about it.

Lol same here. I was wondering what aspect ratio difference people were talking about here and then I noticed in the game. I never noticed before then. The game is really like an interactive movie. Pretty awesome, but if people don't like stuff like Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead they probably aren't going to like this.

Man, people are going to absolutely LOVE hating this game. But I really enjoyed the demo and I cannot wait for the game now. The whole scene with young Ellen trying to read the cards was absolutely brilliant, I hope there is much more like that.

The combat sections are much less interesting, but have some possibility of being neat. But oh man is Neogaf going to complain and hate on this game hard... it's like designed for that.

sarcoa

I pray you are referring to the first half of Indigo
Really wish I could answer this directly!

If you're set on buying Beyond no matter what, I wouldn't read any reviews. it's the experience you value and surely reviews of this game will diminish some of it.

If you're on the fence, man, find a writer you trust and see what's going on here.

PureGone

Banned
Man, people are going to absolutely LOVE hating this game. But I really enjoyed the demo and I cannot wait for the game now. The whole scene with young Ellen trying to read the cards was absolutely brilliant, I hope there is much more like that.

The combat sections are much less interesting, but have some possibility of being neat. But oh man is Neogaf going to complain and hate on this game hard... it's like designed for that.

I can't wait, there so many jokes to be made!

Sadly, most of the people hating on this game would be basing it on YouTube videos or reviews they have read. I don't see this game getting many sales.

DukeBobby

People made their minds up about this game long ago, and that's fine. The genre is not for everyone; some people will love it, others will hate it. Again, that's great because it can invoke an intelligent discussion from both sides.

Sadly, you get the idiotic posts about how it's 'not a game' or how it's somehow bad for the industry, which stifles any discussion.

If you're set on buying Beyond no matter what, I wouldn't read any reviews. it's the experience you value and surely reviews of this game will diminish some of it.

If you're on the fence, man, find a writer you trust and see what's going on here.
Doesn't exactly inspire confidence lol Seems like the reviews are going to be indeed all over the place. Shit. I mean I won't read them anyway because of spoilers and I'm definitely getting the game no matter what, but the numbers. The fucking numbers. Impossible to avoid I'm afraid :/

DSmalls84

I have this preordered just based on the fact the I really enjoyed Heavy Rain, but I'm starting to wonder if I should pick this up. I really enjoyed Heavy Rain but I think that had more to do with the fact that I really enjoy Thriller/Mystery type movies and less to do with the actual gameplay. I haven't really followed a ton of the pre-release coverage of this game, but I'm not sure I'm going to care for it much. From skimming this thread this seems like a much different theme/setting story wise.

I have this preordered just based on the fact the I really enjoyed Heavy Rain, but I'm starting to wonder if I should pick this up. I really enjoyed Heavy Rain but I think that had more to do with the fact that I really enjoy Thriller/Mystery type movies and less to do with the actual gameplay. I haven't really followed a ton of the pre-release coverage of this game, but I'm not sure I'm going to care for it much. From skimming this thread this seems like a much different theme/setting story wise.

If you liked Heavy Rain you will like this. It's better in every way.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I actually like him playing a more normal role for once. He always plays the insane characters. I'm sure there will be an emotional pay-off to his role, so I think he will have some time to display his acting talent.
Bad news for Jim Sterling, I guess.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Goddamn psn is such a piece of shit. Been trying to download for like an hour now. Got to 50% quick then halted for a half hour on the demo.

so it's a negative review, then.

Top Bottom